Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The Cavalier is one of the only ways alot of people get into an affordable new car though, especially alot of young people. Almost everyone I have known had a Cavalier at one time or another. So if they can keep prices down while increasing refinement and most other traits, that would be cool.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    I'd get a Hyundai Elantra or a stripped Focus before I'd get a Cavalier if I had to go for the lowest cost. Really, if I was going lowest cost, I'd get a used car.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    I hear ya. But GM is getting slammed in the press and the buying public alike by not offering a worthy small car competitor. The Cavalier can satisfy the needs of budget minded customers, but it doesn't mean they have to put up with an ancient platform (Yes the car was *updated* in 1995 but that's old already and the platform is the same 1981 issue) and lousy safety scores.

Toyota and Honda have proved over the last 20 years that a budget priced vehicle can offer superior quality, technology and safety.

GM can do it too.

www.opel.com
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    We have a 2000 cavalier in our household. We ARE NOT embarrased by it! How could we be? We get the best fuel economy, a car that is cheap, reliable, and we have plenty left over to spend on the house. It is a little dated but it WORKS! calling it an embarrasement is silly.
    Tell that to the automotive press. Instead of calling the Cavalier an embarrasement, make them call it an incredible automotive milestone...pleease!
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    work on my 00 Cavy and that why i own one,easy to work on and parts are cheap.The so called great Cavalier coming will COST COST COST.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Cavalier is outdated, no doubt. That said, our leased 99 has been very reliable and has a surprisingly smooth drive train. In terms of value, it's hard to beat.

I do however think a replacement is way overdue and Lutz should make it a priority.
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    I find it funny when people go by "the press". What an incredible mastermind follower you are, that is unbelievable. We didn't care what the press said, we bought it because it was cheap to drive and got us from A to B with no frills. If the press doesn't like it, better, that means no one would want to steal it and our insurance is cheaper. Very sad to see people following masterminds, that is how "the press" got people to smoke in the 50s and now we are trying to cover up that booboo.
    I went against what the press said when I bought my Cavalier too. I was just unlucky to get a car just like they were talking about (unreliable). It has to do with luck too. :)
    Cavalier insurance for us for the year is C$709. Cheap!
    My Cavalier's insurance was $122 a month when I had it. Of course, I was 21 then and it was my first car that I financed (and required full coverage on). Not too bad though, I guess.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    COOL DOWN TEO !!!!! COOL DOWN!!!

Driver information centre, you say!! GM took care of our concerns, yesterday(jan 15). Dave Westgate GM service representative gave Bill and I in writing the following because we were persistant. FREE OIL/FILTER CHANGES at any GM dealer until 60,000 km or 3 years is reached. I am only at 4,600 right now. Option to purchase Deluxe extended GM warranty at anytime prior to the original 3 year warranty expiring at GM,s cost of the warranty about 1/2 price, and that if a fix is found for our D.I.C. in the future we will have ours fixed.

YAHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!! But no new car as you always suggested. We even mentioned that to him, we thought he might go for it. We had a good laugh!

PS: I still like the Cavalier basic transportation at an economical price. But does need updating. Hopefully when I have another concern with my car and I post it you don't jump all over me again.......(no hard feelings) over and out
    As long as you avoid directing anymore rude postings in my direction, I'll be cool about it, so keep your temperature in check.

Glad to hear GM did the right thing for you. Persistance really pays off.

No hard feelings from this side either.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    If GM keeps the J platform, they should at least update the interior, big time. Also, reduce noise and vibrations in the base engine.

The rear end looks too blah and could use a kick too.
    Have you driven a 00 2.2 NO vibration,with radio on at idle you have to look at the tach to tell its running.
  • I have owned the following Cavaliers: 1984, 1987, 1989, 1992, and 1996 (my present 2nd car). All of these have logged about 20,000 miles per year.

I always do the normal maintenance myself (oil & filter change, radiator drain & refill, tire rotation, chassis lube, spark plug change, PCV change, air filter change). These services are all easy to do on a Cavalier (oil filter location is awkward but can still be changed from above).

The only problems I have had worth mentioning are rust on door bottoms (through the 1987 model, but not on later models) and alternator failures on two Cavaliers (1987 & 1992, both replaced on extended warranty basis after some arguing with dealer).

I feel the 1996 Cavalier Coupe styling is still handsome and does not appear dated at all in comparison to competition. Having read so many derogatory comments about the Cavalier, I want to offer encouragement to those who might be considering buying a car that has been very, very good to me !!
    We are almost the same,i started with a 85 various yrs and now a 00.Do my own work and have had very little trouble,maybe thats the key.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Posts: 120
    I have a '92 5 sp. that I bought new and have meticulously maintained. First head gasket went at around 50K. (It was a leak rather than a catastrophic failure.) Set me back to the tune of around $450. This weekend after I pulled the car into the garage I thought I smelled coolant when I got out of the car. Popped the hood, and lo and behold, coolant appears to be oozing from around the head gasket. (At least that's the way it appears to my amateur eyes. I haven't yet verified it with a mechanic.) The car still runs well and burns no oil, which is why I kept it even after I bought my Olds last year. If it needs another new head gasket at 94K miles, though, I don't know if I'll fix it or not.
  • Hello. I'm a positive person, but here's my story. November 11, 2001 I bought a 2002 Cavalier. I got the $2500 rebate. I was also a recent college grad, so I got the $400 rebate also. I was also working for a GM contractor, so I also got a small discount for that. I went to Grant & Hayes Community Chevrolet in Portland, Oregon. They wrote up my deal, giving me all three discounts, netting like $11,100 for the car with auto. A good price, yes, but I wouldn't have bought this car if I didn't get this deal. I go back 8 weeks later and they withhold 400 bucks from my 2500 rebate check, saying the GM said that I couldn't use the college grad rebate with the GM contractor discount. Yet, that's how they wrote the deal up. A contract is a contract is a contract, right? If came back crying to them that I paid too much, they'd tell me to buzz off. But they're not living up to the deal. I wrote chevrolet in early January, and yesterday I got a call from Chevrolet customer no service, they denied my request. This was my first GM car purchase, and MY LAST and I told the guy so. The 3 discounts were written into the contract, clearly showing the 3. Am I being unreasonalbe? I'd like to spread my story because this is unfair. I have many automotive dollars to spend in the future and GM will NEVER get another penny from me, and I'm going to make it my mission in life to take business away from them and give it to foreign car makers or Dodge/Chrysler.... comments welcome here or to my own email. And Yes, I'm still fighting to get my 400 bucks, by contacting 2 consumer advocate groups and a local TV station consumer watch unit.
    I see your point, but it is possible the two discounts can not be used together. That said, it sounds like the dealership did not handle the situation very well. Did GM head office confirm to you that the discounts can not be used together?

In the end I would just try and work some thing out with the dealer (ie. split the $400 difference). If you hate your dealer now or sales person, go to another one if you can.

I had a similar problem when I bought a used Accord many years back. The guy gave me a price (in writing), but he discounted too much and his boss rejected the deal. I was mad, but I still bought the car after the manager gave me a few free oil changes ect. The auto business is not a clean one unless you visit Saturn or something. Even then, no guarantee.