Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• caesarslegioncaesarslegion Posts: 109
    It could be many of things but to me it sounds like a cheap fix. My mercury did the same thing once and it turned out to be a fuel filter. It was about $20 fix. Have a mechanic you trust look at it.
  • jdmortonjdmorton Posts: 24
    It might be the TCC solenoid. On my 1989 Chevy Celebrity one day, the car would stall out every time I came to a stop (with the transmission engaged). Like your car, it had an automatic transmission. The car would stall in any forward gear or reverse, but not in park or neutral. Once I shifted out of either park or neutral, the car would stall unless I 'floored" it to keep it running and moving. Once moving, it did not want to stall.

Now, if I could just remember what TCC stands for! Its associated with the transmission.

I took it to the dealer I bought it from. The exact problem showed up when they did a computer diagnostic test. In February 2001, it cost me about $230 to have the problem fixed. It is a fairly labor intensive fix, as the parts came to a little over $50, and the labor was almost $170. The remainder was PA sales tax of 6%.
    Here's an interesting problem that's happening with my '03 Cavalier. I preset 18 radio stations (12 on the two FM modes - FM1 and FM2, and 6 on the AM). My wife drove the car this week and said that the radio stations are no longer the ones I preset. The next morning, when I drove to work, the stations were all as I had programmed them. Yesterday, my wife took the car shopping, and it happened to her again. When she got home, she had me check the stations. Sure enough, all 18 preset stations had changed. Last night while she and I went out, I preset 5 FM stations that we normally listen to. Today, I went to re-establish the other 13 radio stations, and all 18 were back as I had originally programmed them.

This means that somehow the preset stations are being overridden by something (since they are still in the radio and reappear), but I don't know what is happening.

Anybody else ever have this happen to them?

I'll have my dealer look at it when I take the car in next.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    is set to the person that last used the RKE,the dealer can turn that feature off.
  • rogertc1rogertc1 Posts: 66
    I took my car back. They determined head gasket was not issue. It was a Toyota dealer so after i explained causes I found on the web they called a buddy Chevy mechanic who said it probably was the Transmission control selionoid as they are repaired frequentyly and they have a lot on hand. My dealer is going to repair it for me for $100. which I think is fair. Still a nice little car for my daughter.
    thanks for info. Great board!!!!

"It might be the TCC solenoid. On my 1989 Chevy Celebrity one day, the car would stall out every time I came to a stop (with the transmission engaged). Like your car, it had an automatic transmission. The car would stall in any forward gear or reverse, but not in park or neutral. Once I shifted out of either park or neutral, the car would stall unless I 'floored" it to keep it running and moving. Once moving, it did not want to stall."
    I'm not familiar with the acronym RKE and I don't have my owner's manual handy.
    That's also one of the reasons why I come here - someone usually has had the same problem and can give you pretty good advice as to what to have your mechanic check for.
    is the remote keyless entry.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had the same problem with my 1996 Cavalier, but it used to start right back up. Check the fuel pump.
    Mine was a bad TCC solenoid as it runs like a top now. My daughter is happy as am I. $3000. was a good price for the car. Very attractive car.
  • shawnc2shawnc2 Posts: 12
    I've read several messages about the wipers parking in the drivers field of view when they are turned off. I was experiencing this and tried replacing the motor with a remanufactured motor from Autozone. After many agonizing hours of trying to figure out why the wiper mechanism was binding with the replacement motor, I discovered that the replacement motor was turning in the WRONG opposite direction!! I put my old motor in again and everything worked OK except that the wipers don't pop up that first inch or so to start wiping. They wipe from the resting position. I don't know if I lost a small part to the wiper mechanism when I was changing the motor, but at least they don't block my view anymore. I did have to adjust the postion of the wiper arms to accomodate for the loss in the initial inch or two of "pop-up", and they don't quite make a complete wipe, but at least they aren't blocking my view when they are off. I basically lost that 1-2" of movement, but it's not noticable. Beware of remanufactured motors!!!
    quite the doofus! Thanks for pointing out the (now) obvious to me. As I was logging off my computer after making the comment to you regarding RKE earlier this week, it dawned on me what RKE stands for. I used the other remote to program the radio, so now both "work" properly.

I gotta either stop posting so early in the morning, or go to bed earlier so that I can think more clearly when I get up! ;-)
    you have it straightened out,you never said you had rke but i knew you did to change radio settings like that.
    From readings on my meter it seems my alternator has took a dump on my 95 Cavalier for my daughter Kayla (Only puting out about 9.5V and no shorts). While looking at it...right out front. I notice it doesn't seem to have a tension adjustor. Any hints to installing a re-built? Also is the drive belt hard to install?

Thanks
    Roger
  • ajitknoxajitknox Posts: 5
    hi,
      Even though my car is a 1996 2D coupe, i found that you guys are very knowledgable so i will go ahead and ask the question. I bought a 1996 cavalier and the mechanic said that the transmission fluid is burnt. Cursory checks by 3 other mechanics (transmission mechanics) said that there is no problem and even if it is thre,its not a big deal. One of them suggested that he would drain the old fluid and check the transmission and put the old fluid back since the new fluid would wear the rubber linings. Another mechanic was dead against that idea and told to put new fluid. Does anyone know, what to do in this situation.Thanks
    go to autozone.com then clk on repairs,they have a good Cavalier section.
    have a pan drop with new filter and new fluid,DON'T do a flush.
    I am looking to swap doors on my 97 RS coupe due to a break in. I got quotes from a body shop for repair and they were CRAZY! ($800), but I found the same color at a junk yard for half that, but it's from a Z24 with power windows. Has anyone tried swaping from crank to power windows? I want to know if I can still use my crank assembly because the trim from the new door isn't the same color. I'm assuming the doors are the same size (I hope).
    A TCC Selionoid and a alternator and my very pristeen car works great!! A great car with lots of parts in the junk yard for my daughters 1st.
    Roger
    hey guys,
     Thanks a lot for the help. The stereo in my car is not working properly since the sound is not very clear. I was just wondering,can i buy a stereo from Ebay and fit in my car. will it work fine? also,can i do this myself if possible or do i need to take it to a mechanic? any idea how much the labor charges are.
    Thanks a lot guys
    ajitknox, Almost any stereo will fit into the cavalier opening. GM uses what is called a DIN and a half size radio. Most of the aftermarket JVC's, Sony, Kenwood, Aiwa, etc. are DIN size. It will be a little smaller and you will require a mounting kit that will center the radio in a black piece of plastic to cover the open space. You can do this yourself, but you will need to do a little wiring work to mate up the new radio with the wiring harness that's in the car. The new radio will not plug directly into the wiring harness that is in the car. You will need to buy an adapter that must be soldered or taped to the wiring harness that is supplied with the radio. And you may need an antenna adapter too, depending on the redio you are looking at. My advice is to check out Crutchfield.com to see if the radio you are interested in will fit. If you order from them, they supply the wiring harness adapter for free and the mounting kit for free. They also give you a schematic specific for your model and year that shows exactly what to do. These extra adapters are about $10-15 each, so Crutchfield is a pretty good deal. Circuit City/Best Buy will charge you extra for this stuff on top of installation fees. You also have another size choice if you want a larger radio. Pioneer and a couple other companies make DIN and a half size AM/FM/CD players that are the same size as the Delco stereo that you want to replace. I had the pioneer and really liked it until it got stolen (hence post #1297), but even with that I needed the wiring harness adapter and antenna adapter. Here's the model #: Pioneer DEH-P47DH. Good luck with your stereo hunting!
    hey,
     thanx a lot for your advice. truly appreciate it. i will look into the website you refered and see what is the best for my needs. i probably would be posting a message again cuz im really dumb at fitting stuff(even though im a mechanical engineer!!).
      i am new to american cars btw, so pardon me for the dumb question but is it possible to raise the height of the seats. I am 5'11" but i would like the seats to be a little higher.
    Thanks,
    AJ
    hey guys,
       sorry but im back with my transmission fluid trouble. My transmission fluid is burnt and i had gone to the mechanic to fix it. Joe had given me advice on how to proceed and when i went to AAMCO transmissions, the guy there was a big talker, he said that right now the best thing to do is nothing but wait when eventually the transmission will go dead. He said not to change the fluid now, and said that after a month or so probably the transmission is gonna give into and then he will rebuild the transmission ($1000). Now i thght that he was just bluffing and wanted the big bucks, but could you tell me if it is a possiblity that i might have to rebuild the transmission. Joe, shall i go ahead and change the pan filter and put new fluid? I do not have any problems when im driving the car with the transmission(automatic). Any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated since i have no clue what to do.
    Thanks,
    AJ
    if it was my Cav i would do a pan drop,see how much debris is there,if little or none you will be at ease.I would install a new filter and fluid,i just did mine $16.29 for filter and 7.5 qts fluid.Cost about $25 if you DIY.BTW i own a 00 Cav LS with 34K.
  • koko164koko164 Posts: 29
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a 93 Cavalier w/46k miles on it. I hear a loud ticking sound from what I believe is an injector. Behind the valve cover closer to the firewall.

Are these loud normally?

Also, the cars rear bumper is rotting when looking at it from under the car, but the rest of the underneath looks good! Is this a common problem with the bumper or the design?

I'd appreciate any input.
    Thanks, Koko
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Posts: 120
    The rear bumper on my '92 was the first thing to succumb to rot. Noticed it about 4 yrs. ago when I slammed the trunk shut and heard something fall to the ground. Turned out to be a chunk of rusted metal from the bumper! The bottom of the driver door was next. Haven't noticed any other trouble spots so far, although the paint is almost gone on the hood, roof and trunk. Will have 100K in another 400 mi. Ugly as hell, but it still keep truckin' along.
  • koko164koko164 Posts: 29
    Thanks issey, I looked at a 94 today..bumper rotted too but the injector was quiet.

Koko
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Posts: 399
    Just put new plugs and wires on our 97LS with 47K miles. Wow! What a difference. The $25 was well worth it. I didn't realize how overdue that was. Already seeing improved gas mileage numbers - 170 miles with 3/4 tank remaining.

Have the pioneer 47DH mentioned earlier too. Will heed the theft warning. Car radio theft appears to be on the rise in this economy - hadn't really heard of it in a while, but then my brother-in-law had a Clariion stolen out of his 95 Cav a couple weeks ago.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I saw a used 98 Cavalier base coupe this past weekend, with 47K miles on it and the price was $4995. That seems like a good deal if my current car's totalled (see the VW Jetta discussion for info on that fiasco), but I had a bad experience with a 96 Cavalier a couple years ago. I wonder if the 98 would be any better? Cons. Reports recommended the 98-01, but not the 96 and 02 models.