Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I should hope the Nissan is better, it's a much newer design.

Your experience is not everyone elses. You had a lemon.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I heard you the first 50 times. Give it up; I was trying to answer the guy's question. He asked for personal experiences, and I can't help it if you can't stand for a negative experience to be posted when someone asks. Now calm down; I'm responding to him, not you. We all know how you feel.

And I guess I had the only lemon; that's why Chevrolet extended the head gasket warranty to 100,000 miles on all of the several hundred thousand cars they made those two years?

P.S. The Protege5 is a Mazda, not a Nissan.

Meade
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Have to agree with you about Chevy service. When I had a problem with my Cavalier cutting off at sporatic times, the dealer service manager told me to "drive the car and enjoy it". And even if they need to keep your car overnight, they don't give you alternate transportation, despite their policy.
  • I have struggled to put 9k/yr on the 97, which has just passed over 45K in 5.5 years. Thanks for the info on how that transpired.
    Just replying, with personal, factual information concerning our experiences with our one Cavalier, to your request.

I thought that was the spirit of this forum -- although some would like to have anything negative snuffed.

Good luck with your car!

Meade
  • I HAVE A '96 CAVALIER W/ A LEAKING HEAD GASKET - STRANGE THING IS ... IT SEALED ITSELF 2 YEARS AGO. i JUST HIT 200,000 ON THE ODOMETER. THE ENTIRE ENGINE IS ORIGINAL. THE ONLY PART I'VE EVER REPLACED IS THE ALTERNATOR @ 110,000 MILES.
  • Is the 200k on a 2.2litre or 2.4?
  • 2.2 - I make 3-4 round trips between Chicago and Milwaukee each week. About 2 years ago I saw a little coolant on the driveway. Had to refill every month or so. There's still a real mess on the front side of engine where it was leaking. It's a mixture of road grime, oil, and coolant yet nothing happened. I really had no reason to take it to the dealer. When I had the coolant flushed for the first time @ 170k the dealer told me that it was leaking (duh) but seemed to have sealed up. I am looking for a new car - this luck can't last forever.
    Man, that coolant was probably the consistency of maple syrup by 170K! On most cars it's recommended to have the coolant flushed at 30K; 60K at the absolute latest.

Meade
  • REMEMBER THAT I'M ADDING IT ALONG THE WAY ... OBVIOUSLY I BABY THE CAR BUT I KNOW IT'S A FREAK THING. STILL IDLES LIKE A KITTEN THOUGH...
    I DON'T CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000 EITHER - MAYBE 6-8K ... EVERY PART IS ORIGINAL SAVE FOR THE ALTERNATOR, FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS AND THE COMPUTER CHIP AND THAT ONLY WENT OUT @ 180K. GET THIS ..THE DEALER REPLACED IT FOR FREE AND INSTALLED NEW RUBBER BOOT. COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!! FREE!!! (SOME OLD RECALL)
    THIS ULTIMATELY PROVES THAT MOST ANY CAR AND ANY DEALER CAN BE EITHER JUNK OR HEROES.
  • Have the head gasket problems decreased in the 2000 and newer engines? If so, what was GM's fix to the problem? If not, when can I expect my non-ecotec head gasket to fail?? Thanks.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The 96s weren't known for it until 99, so you would have to wait. I don't know if it would be affected or not, but I wouldn't think so. You never know though.
  • Maybe some of the failures and problems could be caused by lack of maintaining? Oil changes will go a long way in keeping the motor healthy. I have heard that the 2.2 motor is a push rod engine which means that its more mechanical and less likely to fail.
  • I could write a book on head gasket troubles. (two Ford Windstars) The story I, got from the Ford Dealer was that "we've had bad luck changing head gaskets on these, so we recommend a rebuilt engine". I got the impression that was hard to machine the heads back to a true condition again. Is this the case with the cavaliers or is it just poor workmanship? What's the failure mode on the 2.2L, leaking coolant or actually leaking coolant into the cylinders and overheating ??
  • rae52rae52 Posts: 99
    i've found a slight interior build quality issue in my '02 Cavalier LS coupe. Out of curiosity, I checked the space where the dashboard meets the doors and the drivers side gap is greater than the right side. I'm debatng whether it's worth the time and effort to bring it to the attention of the dealer. Will they cause more damage?
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    IMO most dealers would prescribe a "wall job" for the problem: park the car next to the wall til you pick it up and then tell you the car's OK. Actually, what you describe sounds like "normal variation."
  • Answer to both questions is YES.

Wait until you have a problem that they can fix and mention the gap in passing.

If they did offer to really do something about it they would probably lossen your whole dash and slide it over to split the difference. Then you will have squeek city until the day you drive it off a cliff.

I hate to sound like a gm dude but it might be normal. Next time your waiting for some other work to be done, pop into the showroom and check ouut the floor. Some will have a wider gap on the passenger side. Assembly time on these gm cars are probably about 25 minutes. 200 differnt guys tightening one of 200 hundred different screws. he. he.

Oh . How big is the gap difference anyway?
  • rae52rae52 Posts: 99
    Moonshadow, the gap on the left side is app. 1/2". The right side is less. When I leave both doors open (I have a 2-door coupe) I checked the dash and everything appears to be equal on both sides-it's only when both doors are closed that the gap is noticeable, again only if youare looking for it. I checked the exterior (with the doors closed) and the doors fit perfect! What to do...