Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• It doesn't shut off everytime i brake. it seems to shut off when i brake hard. Thanks, Ill get the rotors replaced.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 872
    Check with your dealer, I think there a software update on the 2.2 EcoTec for stalling.
  • About a month ago I had to add trans fluid for the 1st time to '96 cavalier with 137k miles. A week ago I started the car and when I pressed on the gas, it had only half the power it normally does. Turned car off then back on, slammed on the gas, and it felt like it popped into gear and it had full power again. The shop says there's metal shavings in the trans. fluid pan and the fluid's burnt. They think they might be able to replace parts instead of rebuilding it but won't know until they open it up. Price quotes range up to $2400, if they need to rebuild the transmission.

I need this car for another year, I just graduated and can't afford a payment but don't want to keep sinking money into a car if it's not reliable. I have had it since day one, only major repairs besides normal brakes, etc. was the computer. What are common problems with the 96 cavalier? Should I expect to dump a bunch into it? Or should I just sell it? Thanks for any advice/info. you have.
    Seeing it's a 96, I would dump it.
  • reply to message 1936, i have the same problem that when i brake very hard, it got shut off, after about 15 minutes, i start the engine, and when braking again, the car seems like shaking, or pumping. also, it takes longer distance to stop the car, and making squealing sounds. you kind like having the same problem like me, does it replacing the rotor would solve the problem? or what could be the cause of this problem?
  • Hello, everybody! My problem - 2004 cavalier, 2.2 base engine, 5 speed manual. Everything is fine on the highway, as I know the engine revs between shifts. When I maneuver through a parking area and am downshifting, twice within the last three (3) days, the engine revs wide open for a few seconds, then back to normal. The first time this happened, I thought my foot was on the accelerator. Seems to happen in first and/or second gear. any info would be a great help.
  • My mother-in-law (in California) tells me her 98 Cavalier stalls intermittently when driving. It can happen at any time and usually when driving within the first ten minutes. She thinks it has something to do with the car not being warmed up. No other symptoms occurs when it stalls. She had the car looked at and the mechanic couldn't find anything after keeping it for days.
  • hi i have a 94 chevy cavalier and every time i stop at a stoplight, the car cuts off, but it does crank right back up, but i cant put it in drive yet, i have to wait until cars start moving again and then immediately press the gas or it cuts right back off, and sometimes when i start my car, it wont stay untill i have pressed the gas a few times. this problem is worse when its hot outside. when its cold and at nighttime this barely happens. and also i htink it might have something to do with my brakes. one time i pressed the brake really hard and the battery died.. and on the other hand, when i stop at a stoplight and i barely press the brake at all, it usually doesnt stall out. i just had a brand new alternator put in but apparently that wasnt the problem. when the car is on, the alternator sounds weird, its like its missin. any suggestions please? i have a baby and i need to get this fixed right away. thank you :confuse: :cry:
  • hey i have the same problem did you get it fixed? if so, what was the problem/how did you get it fixed? please help i have a baby and i cant have this happening. thank you.
    I would say your TCC solenoid is sticking, no slip in the torque converter when that happens so it stalls. It can be replaced without removing the transmission.
  • I have a 96 Cavalier and when I brake my rear end locks up and squats. If I don't release the brake it unlocks itself but sometimes it will initiate my anti-lock braking system and I will kinda bump to a stop. It happens in any weather situation, in the morning, afternoon or evening, whether I have just started the car and backing out of the driveway or in the middle of town and braking for a red light. I've had the anti-lock system changed with no difference. It could also not happen for days at a time. Any help would be appreciated.
  • mesianmesian Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2000 Chevy Cavalier. It didn't come with an Owners Manual. Does anyone know how to set the clock? Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Going by memory, with CD player down the right lower corner there is a rocker switch. Left arrow down, right up. Press either arrow for 2 seconds and hr or min should start flashing.
    I would suspect the brake hose at the rear axle, internal damage.
  • Thank you. I'll look into it.
  • gmoudygmoudy Posts: 67
    If you make an account on mygmlink.com, you will have access to an owners manual, which you can download and save so that you will have one at hand.
  • I love my '95 cavalier but I'm embarrassed to say its been collecting dust for the past 18 months. Every time I drive it the check engine light comes on, the lights immediately dim and it acts like its going to die. I've only noticed the problem when driving its never done it in park. The first time this happened once I turned the car off it wouldn't restart. Its restarted every other time. I've replaced the battery, alternator, spark plugs, pcv valve, and other piddly stuff but I have no idea what is causing it to act like this. I want to get this car running again, it gets great gas mileage and I like driving it. If anyone knows what the problem could be PLEASE let me know.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    gonogo could be on the right track. GM had problems with the solenoid on their 3-speed automatic transmissions. I believe the 94 Cavalier has a 3-speed automatic. One way to check is to disconnect the plug from the module that hooks up with the transmission. If you do this your car should stop stalling if it is the solenoid. The down side is that you will get poor fuel mileage and your car may run a bit rough. The fix is not too expensive. I believe $200 would be about right (parts and labor). Good luck.
  • cormancorman Posts: 1
    Hello.

I have a '98 Z24 that's been giving me problems for some time. My current problem is with jerky acceleration when accelerating hard (for example when merging into high speed traffic on a highway or freeway). The acceleration seems fine at typical lower city speeds (like accelerating from a red light, etc). It also seems to be worse in the mornings.

I didn't think it was much of an issue when it first started happening, so I left it (thinking it was maybe bad gas from the gas station I usually fill up at). Then one day on the way home from work the car basically died on the side of the road. The dealership said the ignition cassette was shot and needed to be replaced (apparently only two cylinders were firing). The catalytic converter also needed replacement as a result.

About a week after those repairs, the jerky acceleration started again. I took it to a different dealership who said the fuel filter was completely plugged and that this was the cause of the problem. It was replaced, and the car seemed to run fine for a few more weeks.

This morning, it started again! The problem is frustrating the heck out of me. I can't trust the vehicle any more, as I don't know when it might 'die' again. I'm thinking there might be a bigger problem at play here and the dealerships have just been fixing symptoms.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Corey
  • i got my sparkplugwires changed cuz someone told me that was the problem, and now the car wont turn on. it tries to, but it will die. what is going on?
    Did this happen right after the wires were changed, what engine, V6 or 4 cyl. If right after the wire change you have the wires crossed.
  • yes sorry i forgot to reply the wires were in the wrong order, and i fixed that, along with my stalling problem, which was the idle air control valve. but now, my battery light spontaniously comes on/blinks, and my headlights flutter/blink. i had my battery and alternator tested and i have a brand new alternator. :confuse: i have no idea what is going on. how do i fix this?
  • hey guys,

i have a question about the factory stereo on a 1997 cavalier. currently i have the factory cassette player. ive came across the factory cd player that came of a 1997 cavalier z24. will it transfer to my regular cavalier without any problems? i want to keep it stock for the mean while. thanks any info is greatly appreciated.
  • My 94 2.2 RS will cut out and die after extensive city driving. Cooling is fine, new thermostat, doesnt get hotter than it should. Almost seems like the tranny gets stuck in a high gear and the engine cant bear the load and dies. Anyone ever have this problem before ???
    Thanks
    If it stalls when you stop it's TCC solenoid sticking, converter stays locked up it stalls.
  • gmoudygmoudy Posts: 67
    YEP! Go for it!!
  • Hello, I have a 95 Chevy cav. 2.2 auto. After driving the car until warm when I come to a stop the car will stall and not idle in drive. It will restart and idle in park but when put into gear it stalls. I do not have any MILs or codes, have cleaned the throttle body, cant find the problem. Would the transmission set a check engine light if this were the problem? Any suggestions? Where do I start to find the problem? In advance I would like to thank you for your help!
    Read post #1961.