Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• I have a 2002 Cavalier with just over 100,000 miles and it seems to have found itself a new problem. It is an automatic, and while in drive yet not moving yet, so foot on the brack, car stopped, the RPM's are bouncing between 500 and 1000, where it used to just sit at 500. A clicking noise is also now coming from the engin, though I can't pinpoint the exact location. Both of these problems started at the same time, so leads me to beleive that they are related.
    I have no idea what the problem could be and don't really have the cash to have a mechanic look at it. I was hoping someone with some knowledge would have something of a better answer for me,
    Thanks!
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 874
    My best guess is timing chain problem, the tensioner failing is a known problem on high mileage 2.2.
  • For do-it-yourselfers, the GM Ecotec engine requires a low-profile 1 1/4 inch socket to remove the plastic cap on top of the built-in oil filter. This tool is not easy to find.

However, Amazon.com is presently selling the "Lisle 14700 Oil Filter Wrench for GM 2.2L" for $8.94 --- shipping is free if you buy something else that makes your order total over $25 (the something else can be anything you were probably going to buy anyway --- such as say a computer printer ink cartridge.)
  • Hey guys, I have a 2003 cavalier and am upset++++ @this vehicle...it starts when it wants to...lately if I don't use it for 4-5 hours it won't start...it clicks but that's it. Winter is just starting and it really hasn't been that cold, so I am wondering what in the world the problem is....It has a new battery, alternator and starter have been checked...any ides/help would be greatly appreciated.... :mad:
  • I've had a similar problem with engine overheating. Thermostat will not open when the temp is reached. Thermostat has been replaced several times, but nothing. I am going to put in a 12V solenoid and manually open the valve to allow flow through the radiator. I wanted to know if anyone knows where I could get a diagram of the coolant flowpath to ensure I put the valve in the correct spot and the correct direction. Thanks.
  • My 2003 cav was making a humming sound over the speakers. Removed fuse from amp and sound was gone.Radio still worked(am/fm/cd/clock).Now the radio doesnt have any sound,the clock works and the radio shows the stations. Any ideas?
  • I have a 97 cavalier...i am currently buying a 3.8L Series 3 Supercharged V6 as a crate engine from the GM dealership neer where i live at in Concord, NC. As you know the engines come in FWD cars such as Grand Prix GTP and RWD cars as Firebirds. Now my question is i'm wanting to do custom firewall work to move it back and replace it with titanium grade and also convert the cavy over to RWD...the problems i am having its this..with i need to find another chassie/fram that is compatiable with the cavaliers body and move everthing to it and if so do yall know the frams i can get..i have heard of putting it on a S-10 frame not sure if that is true...second of all what type tranny's would be compatable to match up....it would be nice to use the firebirds tranny to hook up but i don't know if it will fit under the car and have clearance too. All my mods are from zzp and intence racing currently there V6 engine is at 810hp and runnen a 1/4mile at 8.91 at 152.4mph..remarakable time for a V6...so if anyone has any tips that could help me do this or live around the area and want to just meet up about cavalier customs let me know i'd be very interested in yalls oppinions..i can't find pixs of my car right now on the computer but when i get them on my myspace i'll post the link so yall can see my car.

thanks again,

Josh
  • jenn9jenn9 Posts: 3
    did you ever get an answer to this question? my car is an 02 and i have the same problem. they told me that it is the timing chain. i am trying to find out how much it will entail to fix it myself. let me know if you have any ideas! thanks
  • bfmechbfmech Posts: 1
    I have the same problem did you find a fix?
  • I just bought a 1999 cavalier from a car lot....it runs pretty good except the oil light
    comes on when you are idling or when you put the brakes on to slow down or stop. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    Anyone know what this could be?

You might check out the thread below for a similar problem and the replies. Start with message #3365.

"Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2"
  • rlp50rlp50 Posts: 13
    Unfortunately I have been too busy lately to get back at this. I did all the visual checks and all wiring looks fine, at least nothing obvious. Need to get out the tester and do some tracing next. I'm pretty sure it's a bad ground somewhere, so if I can't trace it I will probably try to re-wire directly from the good headlight. I'll post if and when I get it fixed. Please do the same if you get yours fixed before me.
    Cheers
    There is a factory splice between the headlights, can't remember where it is, just have to look for it under the plastic cover. The splice is a known problem area.
    yeah, the problem is the timing chain. i guess when the cavalier hits about 50,000 miles, the timing chain can start to go. i looked into having someone fix it but it will cost about $700
  • slwsjwslwsjw Posts: 1
    I need to purchase a set of tires for my daughter's 2002 Cavalier. I would like to buy a good set of tires for a reasonable price; but, I am more interested in performance and durability. What do you recommend?
  • Headlights and daytime runnning lights due not work. Every other signal and light works. Fogs work.
    When car is on and u turn lights on nothing happens except tail and signal lights. if the lights off and put into drive the right headlight indicator flashes 4-5 times and service eng light comes on. If u leave in park and turn lights on no flashing or eng soon light but no lights are on.

DRL relay was checked and headlamps are good.
    I bought mine at a place called tire kingdom. they weren't the cheapest tires, but they weren't the most expensive either. they really have a good collection of them there. with the tire purchase I received free tire rotation and free maintenance, they also included a really good warranty. I drove on those tires for a year and then drove from Ohio to Florida. I still have good tread, they don't lose air, and they are still really good in the snow. I am not sure where you live, but if you have a place called Tire Kingdom, I would go there. Oh, and for 4 brand new tires it cost me a little under $325. Not bad if you ask me!!
  • I have a 1995 Chevy Cav LS Convertible. The ABS light has been on for years now, and I never got around to looking at why. I am mechanically inclined and do everything myself, but I don't really know where to start here. Is it in the brakes or is it something with the electrical? Did anyone have a similar problem?
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    I'm not a mechanic but the first things I would check are the wheel sensors. Make sure all 4 of them are properly attached and that the end of the sensor doesn't have a layer of brake dust or other dirt covering it. Maybe give them a good hosing with brake spray cleaner.

Did you browse the Brakes forum for an answer?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef14c39/?ed_displayMakeModelRelatedDiscus- - sions!make=CATS&model=Brakes
    Check the wheel sensor ohm's, they will be close, you can then weed out the bad one.The wiring on the left front has been a problem, chaffing on suspension.
  • cutehumorcutehumor Posts: 137
    I put in a rebuilt oreilly ultima starter for my 96 sunfire today. I had it tested before I left the store and it passed. Well when I put in the starter, the starter doesn't crank at all. I hear a buzzing sound. I think it has something to do with the starter wires connection. I have five wires to hook to the solenoid. Originally the car had three, but I had an ignition recall done and there is an additional two wires. They are all red and black. anyone have a diagram or photo I can look at?
  • I have a 2003 Cav and I have the same problem. The bulbs are good and so is the relay. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I would appreciate the help. Thanks
  • I have a 2003 Cav and just recently my headlights have not been turning on as well as the daytime running lights. I have checked both headlights and the relay-both are good. The brights work, but the headlights and drl do not. Does anyone have any advice to what the problem may be? I would appreciate the help. Thanks
  • carlene3carlene3 Posts: 1
    My car does not have plug wires just a bar where the plugs suppose to be so how do I change my plugs? Please help!!!!
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 564
    I have yet to change plugs in my 2005 Cavalier, but sometime in the past I copied this information from somewhere (which is offered with no guarantee)

"1. Disconnect the battery for safety. Remove the six Allen bolts on the wire cover, then remove the wire cover; this will allow access to the coil packs.

2. Using a socket, remove the bolts that hold down the coil packs. There should be a total of four bolts, one on each coil pack.

3. Unplug the coil pack harness from each of the four coil packs. All the coil packs should come out with ease.

4. With a spark plug socket and an extension, remove the four spark plugs"
  • ive recently had my thermostat replaced and my radiator flushed, i have a 2001 cavalier, instead of dex cool they put in the green type of coolant after the flush, but instead of my tempurature staying at 195 (exactly half), it goes up to 3/4 about 230 degrees, is this because of the different coolant (doubtful), the aftermarket thermstat, or the summer heat, it never done this in all these years since ive had the car i am the only owner..a mechanic said it WAS NOT a head gasket problem, i just want it to run like it used to, please help
  • odyjhaodyjha Posts: 2
    My dad recently changed the rear wheel assemble on my 1999 Chevy Cavalier and now my ABS light has been coming on and then going off. Is there a sensor that would nee to be be reset because of the change and we would need to unhook the car battery and hope that nothing is really wrong with the ABS? My brakes are wokring...
  • Hi new here, just bought a 91 cavalier 2.2L auto trans. whenever you take off the speedometer pegs all the way out and the odometer is spinning like your flying down the road????? anything would be much appreciated, the guy i bought it from said it worked fine until he put a new trans in and it done it ever since.. also i cant seem to fine the speedo cable on the trans????
  • bubba38bubba38 Posts: 21
    hello, my daughter has a 98 cav recently sprung a leak. appears to be coming from the water pump area about 1/2 gal every 2 days a mechanic told her that a special tool was needed to replace the timing belt or chain (not sure which) can anyone enlighten me?
  • I had a 99 cavalier 2.2 liter that was leaking a little for a while, but within a short time I ended up replacing the water pump and it was fine after that. This may or may not be the same for you.