Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• cavmonkeycavmonkey Posts: 2
    An update.

There is another problem that seems to be related. The driver side turn signal go out, like if the bulb is burnt out, it doesnt blink. If I pull the bulb and put the same bulb back in, it works. But then the directional will go out again in a day or so.

But if both sides are working, the ABS light does not come on. But the hazards still cause the problem. If I pull the tail light plug from one side, the directional for the opposite side causes the ABS light to come on.

Seems like if I can keep both sides functional, the ABS light problem is not an issue, so the issue is that the drivers side directional keeps going out. As stated above, just removing and reinserting the bulb temporarily gets it working again. Unfortunatley, since it is not my car I can say when and why the drivers side directional fails.
  • candiecandie Posts: 28
    Hi Pat and All: After literally a month of problems with the 95 Cavalier, and some not so honest mechanics, I today had a friend's son come by (from out of town) and got some results :) Two compressors later, three idler and three serpentine belts later at a cost of over $1200. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper which I'm sure you all realized from my previous posts.

I'm not trying to be cheap, so please don't misunderstand but now my plug wires need to be replaced. Would anyone know about (ballpark range) how expensive OR, hopefully inexpensive this is to do? I have only put 350 miles on this car myself and it seems like I've paid dearly for each and every mile. The only saving grace is it is REAL GOOD on gas. My friend assures me that for now other than the wires, I am in pretty good shape (the car is, LOL). I was ready to get rid of it.

Any help once again would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Candie :cry:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm going to suggest one more time that you have a look at the discussions on our Maintenance & Repair board since that is where you are most likely to find the folks who can answer questions like these. There is one discussion you'll see at the top of that list, "Got a Quick Technical Question?", that might be your best bet for this particular situation, but look over the list and see what you can find. You may find several discussions that have helpful information for you - you won't know until you look! ;)

Either way, keep us posted.
  • candiecandie Posts: 28
    Thanks Pat, I did it (finally hey?) I posted it under "Got a Technical Question" at Maintenance and Repairs. Thanks for the help. I was having a difficult time navigating over there, but think its ok now. Again, thank you.

Candie
    Glad you found it - feel free to email me with any navigational questions. Just click on my name to get my profile.
  • lexiyqtlexiyqt Posts: 1
    Hi, I am not sure if anyone can help me, But I have a 1997 chev cavalier 2.2L with air conditioning. I was driving down the highway, and it was making a noise like the fan was hitting the shroud. But It wasn't. and all of a sudden, doing 55mh. It quit!!!!!! It didn't overheat. At first we were told by a mechanic that it was a timing chain. Then we thought it may be a head gasket. It smelled of burning oil. Oil level was not down. It is getting fuel and spark. The tumblers went in the ignition switch, but we can turn it over With a jumper wire on the starter. It still will not run. I have been having problems starting it in wet weather for a while now. I had to turn it over repeatedly before it would fire. No one can tell me what is wrong. Any ideas?
    :cry:
    Confused in Canada
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    It will not start by jumping at the starter, the computer needs a signal from the ignition to turn on the fuel injectors. Most likely the bad ignition switch is why the car quit and won’t start, fix that first. :)
  • gman_128gman_128 Posts: 3
    i have a 94 cavalier with a 2.2 4 cyl engine in it and i want to put exhaust on it but i don't know what to put on because iwant the deepest sound i can get, not one of these fart mufflers that are in the cities. If anyone can help i would sure appreciate it.
    You might want to stop by our new Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board to see what's going on there ...
  • i was just wondering if any of you guys would know if a supercharged ecotec out of the new cobalt ss model would fit in a 97 cavalier, thanks
    You might want to also post that in our Engine Swaps discussion.
  • gman_128gman_128 Posts: 3
    i have a 94 cavalier with a manual transmisison and i wanted to check the tranny fluid and i couldn't find a sight glass or anything to check it, if anyone could tell me where to check it that would be great.
    thanks
  • nellingnelling Posts: 3
    I have an automatic 1997 Cavalier and last week at a stop light, the engine killed. I put it in park and it started up just fine, but when I went to put it in drive it killed again. It continued to have no problem starting up and it ran just fine in neutral and in park but as soon as I attempted to put it in to any gear the engine would kill. I attempted to get the car in gear for about 1/2 hour by trying all tricks that I knew , but nothing seemed to work, the car simply wouldn't keep running when put in gear. With the help of others I was able to push the car to a nearby goodyear. By the time they got around to looking at it (4 hours later), nothing was wrong. They had no problem putting it into drive or reverse and they drove it around just fine, so no work was done on it. They suggested that it was the torque converter or the transmissions solenoid. I have had no problems with the car since that day and it has ran as great as it always have. One more thing, the car sat for about 1 week without running before this strange occurance happened, while temps were in the 90's and humidity was very high. Is goodyear's prognosis accurate? Has anyone experienced an issue like this that can assist me? Thank you!
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    For owners of Cavaliers from 1995 through 1999, you don't have to remove your dashboard to access your radio.

In an earlier post I mentioned that the Cavalier dash could be cut in such a way as to provide easy access to the radio for service or replacement. At that time I didn't know how to post a picture illustrating where to make said cut, but now I do and so I will !

In my photo, two white lines indicate where you can make a shallow cut (with a rotary tool cut-off wheel) which will separate the bottom, U-shaped part of the trim plate from the upper part of the plate (cut through the plastic slowly, allowing it time to cool rather than melt). The U-shaped part can then be pulled off (you will be able to snap it back in place using the existing clips). The location of the cut is such that it will be hardly noticeable.

When the U-shaped part is replaced, you may need to put a thin shim or two under the part if it does not exactly lay flush with the upper part.

This is so much easier than removing the dashboard.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Buying a '95 Cavalier in 2005...not sure what to say about that. Sounds like a risky proposition.

As far as cutting the dash picture above......tell me your not serious about that. Never is a million years would I ever consider cutting the dash in any of my current or previously owned cars.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    If you'll read his post again, you'll see that he has also bought a total of FOUR Cavaliers over the years. I was wondering equally as much why he bought Cavaliers No. 2, 3, and 4.

I think it's a valid question, why someone would continue buying Cavaliers when he has such an opinion of them.

So I'll rephrase:

Why did you continue buying Cavaliers with that opinion of them?

Meade
    "Do It Yourself."

Meade
  • mandi77mandi77 Posts: 3
    Thanks so much to all of you for your comments, and advice. I now have my car in the shop and it might just stay there....ha ha.
    Take Care,
    mandi
    Sorry to be one of several bearers of bad news about your car, but the '95s were not the most stellar example of an automotive product!

Meade
  • mandi77mandi77 Posts: 3
    I'm starting to realize that my cute little car may actually be a devil in disguise. It seems to be the way, but I feel better when I take my car to the shop, as opposed to my old car. I had a 1996 Ford Probe GT. It was a sweet ride, but when that warrantee expired.....OMG, let me tell you, I dumped almost 10 grand into it before I sold it. A week after the warrantee expired....my clutch went, and the things are built so weird that it was hours of labor for the guys to just get to the clutch. At least with the Cavalier, they are so common, that majority wise, the parts are fairly cheap, and fairly easy to work on. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way I guess.
    Mandi