Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    you haven't tried yourself! I modified three different Cavalier dashboards in this manner, and if you didn't know about the cut you wouldn't likely ever be aware of it. Truly.

The reason for this is that the cut follows along a depressed line in the dash, so the cut looks like it probably belongs there.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    If it turns out to your liking then good for you. You have more guts than I to try and cut into your dashboard.
    The first time I took the whole dashboard off, but I realized that wasn't necessary. We're only talking here about a thin (1/8 in) plastic trim plate, and only two cuts --- each about 1 1/2 inches long, on either side of the radio opening.
  • caryphdcaryphd Posts: 3
    ">I bought a Cavalier new in '96 (one of those torquoise ones that now seems like it's every third car on the road today) when I was in grad school, and, while recalls were practically a weekly event for the first year (my favorite was a starter issue that if not fixed MIGHT make the steering column burst into flames whether the vehicle was being driven or not...lol), the car has given me almost no trouble and what troubles it has had, beyond the problem so common it's printed on the gas cap, have needed only cheap fixes (maybe I have the last honest and affordable dealership service department in America?). Just this year I had to finally have break pad work done.

My Cav did develop a problem this year, though--wonder if anybody has some insight. In January, while siting at a stop light, I heard a high pitched metallic whistling sound coming from under the passenger side of the hood. It either went away when the car was going over 25mph or I just couldn't hear it because of other traffic sounds. Took it in and the service guy said he couldn't locate the source of the sound and it went away when he took the car out on the highway so it may, in his opinion, just be from driving the car in the city on a really cold day (10 degrees and no parking garage at work). Sure enough, when the weather warmed up the noise went away. Yesterday it came back after I sat in backed up traffic for 5 minutes waiting for the police to deal with somebody's fender bender. So much for the cold weather theory. Anybody know what it might be? It's seems loudest when the car idles, doesn't change when in neutral.

Thanks,
    ~ Cary
    Is it possible that the noise is coming from a slipping serpentine belt?

You might want to try a very small amount of "valve grind compound" on the belt. Do not use "belt conditioner" ---- for some reason, that stuff does not work as well in stopping belt noise..
    Thanks. I was thinking maybe serpentine, too. A slipping belt would explain why the noise comes and goes, and is now maybe not going to go anymore. I had a serpentine replaced two years ago. Funny story about that. After they replaced the belt, the guys left a tool under my hood. When I went back for an oil change three months later..."Oh THAT'S where that went!" I drove around for three months and even to another city 2 hours of Interstate driving away and the tool stayed put. They gave me an unsolicited free oil change and transmission flush (AKA "Please don't sue us"). lol

~ Cary
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    If it was really cold that winter day and you had your defroster on, then your a/c compressor was on too -- many people don't realize that the a/c compressor works in defrost to remove moisture from the interior of your car. Now it happens in late June, and I'll bet you had your air conditioning on.

In both cases, your compressor was putting a load on the engine -- and on that serpentine belt. (You ever tried to turn an a/c compressor by hand, without the belt attached? WOW!)

Chances are, you'll only find the belt squeaking when a load is placed on it. Just to make sure, though, you might have them check your power steering pump -- which is also belt-driven -- while they're replacing the belt.

Meade
    You nailed the problem. It was the compressor. Turns out my AC was going out gradually. This morning when I took it in, suprise, the AC wasn't cooling at all. And, yep, the weather extremes were working the compressor both back in January and this week. Good call.

~ Cary
  • Well.. Last week my Cavalier hit 10,000 miles and not a problem yet. I still like pretty much everything about it except for a rank smell that appeared after it hit 10,000miles. Sorry to hear all the problems some people have had.
    :D
  • stef8stef8 Posts: 11
    I want to change my synchromesh transmission fluid (1994 Cavalier manual 5 speed) and I'm having a hard time locating the drain and fill plugs.

Could somebody give me a hint?

Thanks for your time!
    You refill the manual transmission fluid thru the transmission dip stick hole using a funnel. The drain plug is on the lowest place on the manual transmission housing. If you know where your engine oil drain plug is, it's the other plug. Drain while hot, with care. Push up on the plug while unscrewing so that hot fluid does not squirt out before you are ready to remove the plug. (The service writer at any Cavalier dealer should be happy to point out the transmission drain plug to you if you are not sure).
  • stef8stef8 Posts: 11
    Tanks alternator for the infos!

I did it this afternoon and everything went fine!
  • I have a 1991 chevy cavalier, and it has been an awesome car, up until a few months ago. There is 180K on it, and immaculate. A few months ago though, it started getting pretty loud, and sounded like a motorcycle. I took it to the shop, and he replaced my fuel filter, and fuel pump in the gas tank. Not a fix. I replaced the spark plugs. Not a fix. My uncle replaced the distributer wires. Not a fix. All together. Now my cruise control has gone only a couple weeks ago. My car is louder than a motorcycle, it surges forward unexpectedly, drives with no power, then shoots forward, recently I have started to smell burnt oil, and now gas. It raddles, and shakes, and drives like a tank. What on earth could be wrong with it? :sick: :confuse:
  • marksb18marksb18 Posts: 1
    Any advice on how to replace an alternator in a 1998 Chevy Cavalier? The dealer says the engine has to be dropped to access it. I can't imagine engineers to design the engine like this, but they have done stranger things before. Moderate DIY. Thanks.
  • gman_128gman_128 Posts: 3
    i have a 94 cavalier and my fan died on me and on highway it's good it doesnb'yt heat up but i know i have to get it fixed and i was wondering if i had to take it a mechanic to fix it or is there someway that i can do it myself and i'm pretty mechanically inclined so if anyone can tell that would be great.
    The Chilton Repair Manual for 1995-2000 Cavaliers shows that the alternator may be removed and replaced from above (2.2L engine), but vehicle needs to be raised so as to reach, from below, the lower mounting bolts (2.3L and 2.4L engines).

Nothing I see indicates a need to "drop the engine".
    The Chilton Manual for 1995-2000 Cavaliers, for the 2.2L engine, shows that you can remove the fan assembly from below the vehicle and then replace the fan motor.

The steps are: Disconnect negative battery cable, raise vehicle, unplug fan electric connector, remove fan assembly mounting bolts, remove assembly out bottom of vehicle. Replace fan motor.

Reverse above to install. Torque mounting bolts to 53 in-lbs.

Apparently the larger Cavalier engines involve draining coolant, etc.
  • keith13keith13 Posts: 5
    anybody else had their cavalier suck water into the engine during a heavy rain?
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    I never have but heard of it, some bend a rod some don't. :(
  • keith13keith13 Posts: 5
    This one broke two rods,Mr Goodwrench wanted $5100 for the engine and $1000 to install it. I found one a little cheaper and am doing it myself. Dealer told me that the insurance companies normally total the car out, then he said that he had never seen a cavalier do it. :cry: