Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail Grade Full Test

Climbing up the near-vertical dirt trail in the all-new 2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail Grade seems pretty easy, at least until we get to the hill-climb's crest. The trail is actually too steep to walk up and the front tire on the driver side starts losing traction and the front end begins to slide off the trail toward a drop-off that borders each side of the incline.

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail Grade Full Test

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• I think toyota will use the new motor 2.7L 4cyl 1AR, which has 182-187hp and 182-186 lb·ft. :surprise:
  • Less than 33" of legroom? My compact car has more - a '96 Accord sedan.

I've never been a fan of having the numbers that don't stay horizontal on the gauges

For the second point, if you don't know what I"m talking about hrre are a couple of pics to exemplify my point.

I prefer this design ((Tacoma, top) over the other one (4Runner, bottom)

• Wow, I'm impressed! A real 4-by-4 vehicle! If I were on the market for an SUV, I'd take a very serious look at the 4-Runner! :-)

Edmunds, could you please do a comparison test of the off-road abilities of the Land Cruiser, Range Rover, LR3 (a.k.a Discovery), 4-Runner, Pathfinder and Xterra? I would really love that.

Meanwhile, well done, Toyota!
  • One of the few American options of "real" off-roading is a way better value. The 2010 Wrangler now comes with leather and it's better off-road, better looking and comes in $10K cheaper with almost the highest trim level....
  • Kudos to Toyota!! I cannot wait to see these on the road and at the dealerships. I have been looking forever for a new SUV/CUV and currently have an Xterra which has served me very well. The CUV's just don't have the space I am looking for, or the aggressive, tackle anything you throw at it handling. Not that I am going to be doing off-roading, but I don't want to wince when I maneuver through granite filled back country roads in Maine. And the flip side is that many true SUV's (Pathfinder, etc) are just too big, pricey, and gas hungry. Not great when you might want to head downtown and parallel park or when gas hits $4/gallon. I have loved my Xterra but, I would really like something different for my next vehicle. Maybe this new 4Runner will be the answer?

Also, please, please Toyota... make the shoreline blue paint available for the SR5 base model (even as an upcharge)! Please :)
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    That really depends upon what you want it for. While the 4-door Wrangler is better offroad, it is far, far worse on the road, which is where 99% of SUVs stay. Is it cheaper? Yes. It is also slower and far less comfortable.

If you want to drive the Rubicon, the Wrangler is clearly the better SUV. As a commuter, family car, and occasional offroad vehicle, my 4Runner works far better for me than a Wrangler would. YMMV.
  • the 4runner has more width, is 3 inches shorter and get 1 to 2 mpg better than a Pathfinder and is thousands more? not sure of your thinking. I really like it, can't wait for a test drive, but think about what you want before buying. This is not a small, gas efficient vehicle. It is larger than any previous generation (probably a little shorter than the last sequoia model, didn't look up the specs).
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    I have to assume that this one is Trail Graded.

New 4Runner Races in This Weekend's Baja 1000 (Straightline)

• The Pathfinder is another wannabe SUV, with its Explorer-esque Independent Rear Suspension and worse-than-a-Subaru ground clearance. Pass. This 4Runner is one of the few new real SUVs to come out of late.
  • I was at the local Toyota dealership and saw the new 4runner roll off the truck today. I have to say it was sharp, very rugged looking. I like the interior upgrades and found it had more room up front for all of the passangers. The rear hatch storage was about the same as the previous generation. The vehicle is larger in all areas compared to last year. I am looking forward to a test drive. The sticker was close to the same as 2009.
  • First, I'm a little biased because I loved my 92 (2nd gen) 4Runner SR5 for 6 years and only sold it because we had twins and a 12 year old (don't ask) - the back seat wasn't big enough. I've been trying to find a AWD/4WD CUV/SUV that will haul 2 adults plus 3 teenagers+gear; checked out Highlander, CX-9, Santa Fe, Tribeca (sorry domestic fans, I've been burned too much by Ford and Chevy). This will backup our 04 Honda Pilot EX-L, still running strong.

We took out a Blizzard Pearl 2010 4WD 4Runner Limited with NAV (base MSRP $39,800 + $2,638 Options + $795 Del. Proc Handling for Total $43,233) for a short ride because it was being traded between dealers tomorrow.

First impressions - exterior seemed a little wider (OAW 75.8"/OAL 189.9"), had 9.6" clearance with P245/60 R20 tires and a higher cowling. It reminded me of a small armored car look, subdued but somewhat menacing.

Once inside we enjoyed the higher front passenger seat position, thicker steering wheel and improved instrumentation, including digital temp readouts and voice activated touch screen NAV system. A 5 speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) and sequential shift mode along with Full-time 4WD with Active Traction Control and Locking Center Differential control knob in place of the usual 4WD L/H shifter was a welcome addition. After switching to the drivers seat I immediately drove in a tight circle a couple times at increasing speed while the X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension kicked in to keep the truck as level as possible - it cornered very well for a curb weight of 4805 lbs. plus 4 passengers.

Venturing onto the road we appreciated the smooth new 4.0 L DOHC 24-valve EFI dual independent VVT-i V6 that produces 270 HP @ 5600 rpm / 278 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm, rated to give a 4WD gas mileage estimates 17 city/23 highway/19 combined. The coil spring independent double wishbone front suspension w/ stabilizer bar and coil-spring independent 4-link lateral rod rear suspension with stabilizer bar isolated our butts over pot holed macadam road, dirt road and interstate. The 4 wheel ventilated disc brakes w/ 4 wheel ABS, EBD and Brake Assist were very competent as it began raining on the interstate, afternoon dodging traffic.

Sadly, we had to keep the drive short because they were to ship it out to another dealer and didn't want much mileage on it. All I can say is after a couple months of looking at most of the Asian CUV/SUV's out there and budgeting $35K, we now are seriously looking to spend $40-45K to get this vehicle. It has the road handling we need for 85% of our driving and I'm sure more than meets our need for the 15% on mountain snow, muddy dirt roads and sandy fishing trips on the OBX our family needs. Check out this fine road handling tank (5th generation 4Runner) if you can find one. Get it before the sliding US$ and customer demand drives the price up! :shades:
  • Any one aware of the Trail edition in stock?
    No one in CA seems too have one
  • Folsom Lake Toyota has one, supposedly. Website shows two, but based on price they can only have one. No window sticker available for online viewing. That's the only one I found within 50 miles of Sacramento.
  • I called Folsom: they have none.
    Checked with a local dealer: their system currently don't show any planned shipment of Trail edition to the west coast. Told me to wait "a few months"
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Probably (hopefully..?) not until the new 2.7L gets DFI (>200HP) and maybe even Toyota's new e/VVT-i Otto/Atkinson engine mode switching technique introduced on teh new HSD, hybrid, systems.

Quite acceptable HP with STELLAR FE.
  • Have a 2003 Limited. Love it. I drive 5 to 10 miles of beach 40 to 50 times a year surf fishing. I am confused. With the new Trail model in the picture, which 2010 model is best for sand?
  • simple: Limited has Torsen sophisticated center differential system (full-time 4WD), all other grades have simple transfer-case (part-time 4WD). you choose.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Personally what I would like to see is just the Torsen center differential, no need for a locked center or granny grunt low.
  • True. Although the Limited has Torsen AWD and bigger wheels and navigation and lots more stuffs, it adds $10k to the price.
  • pjc1pjc1 Posts: 72
    I was considering both the trail grade loaded up and the limited. I ended up going with the limited two weeks ago.

I would have gone with the trail ( I like the off road capability) but you cannot get many options on the trail edition. Seem a bit odd to me that you could not get leather in the trail. Also would like to have seen a V8 option in the low 300 hp and low 300 ft lbs range.

I did some tame off roading and went through a snow storm last week with the limited and it performed superbly...stable and confident.

So far I am pleased with this vehicle.