Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• rcole13825rcole13825 Posts: 1
    Hi all.

I am looking at a few used TC's. From the looks they really go the distance for life of a car. I see quite a few that have very high mileage lifes way into the +100,000 I have even seen some with +170,000 miles.

How ever I did see some negative postings on the Kelly Blue Book site on the Trans of the 1999 & 2000 TC's.

Seeing as this is just one posting I wanted to get more info from TC drivers.

I am starting a new company and have to wine & dine clients.(there goes my sports car) As it is a new company I have to watch my spending and I have seen some very good prices on used TC's. I believe the TC can present a great image without costing me a ton.

What year & model would you suggest?
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    important as you behaving your natural self. Using proper manners, grammar, and listening more than talking helps when always dressed appropriately for the occasion. Just be sure the sedan is clean inside and out, doesn't smell bad and you drive safely. Having been in commission sales, I learned it's not what you drive that is very important. Know your product very well is also a requirement besides knowing the competition and you never knock your competition. Good Luck. As for a particular Lincoln, consider the Towncar that appeals to you and your tastes. That choice will reflect the real you and not a poser or imager.
  • townmantownman Posts: 2
    Is it my imagination or air turbulence.Im experiencing loud air noise when I hit 40 M.P.H.and up. I have a 2001 LTC.E-series. I took back to dealer and they said it was turbulence. Anybody out there have this problem? Please respond
    more wind noise than their previous models. Perhaps the design difference between the 97's and later years is the cause.
  • gkarggkarg Posts: 230
    Sounds like you ought to be able to try and isolate the noise to either the windsheild or side windows.

Try checking your weatherstripping seals and such around the doors - maybe they're not lining up right.

I know on the Lincoln LS forum - some new owners mentioned that the side windows were not closing completely - so they took the cars back to the dealers and they re-aligned the window tracks and now the cars are quiet - they really should be air tight!
  • victorvmaxvictorvmax Posts: 1
    Hi, Responding to rcole's question about high mileage lincolns, we have one with over 150k and it is still extremely dependable. It's a '91, the first year with the overhead cam engine. I would avoid the older 351's as they are old tech and not fuel efficient. A lot of little things crap out an an older car, especially the unnecessary power stuff. Our biggest gripe however, is the paint. The clear coat has totally failed and the burgandy paint is now failing. It just isn't worth repainting the car. The lighter colors don't seem to have this affliction.
    I think that the styling has held up well and it is still an inpressive car. good luck, Ron
  • jerrym3jerrym3 Posts: 202
    My 1989 Signature has over 126,000 miles and is still quiet as a mouse (302 engine). Car does not burn any oil. (I change the oil/filter myself every 3,000 miles.)

I did have to get the trans rebuilt at about 105,000, but, except for a water pump, the motor has never been apart. Car eats mufflers, though (duals; too many short trips)

With same rear end ratio and tire size, the TC takes grades better than my 4.6 1994 TBird, and (load leveler suspension) is much more solid.

If I could just get usaed to the new styling, I'd buy another one without a doubt (IMHO, 2003 styling is a definite improvement.)
  • jacob9jacob9 Posts: 1
    I've heard some reports of poor A/C performance on the 2003 TC - has anybody driven this vehicle (especially in a hot climate) and seen this?
  • townmantownman Posts: 2
    The noise is more profound on passenger side than drivers. Cannot isolate exactly where. I took back to dealer and they keep telling me air turbulence.2001exTown car.Does anybody have suggestion.Thanks!!
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Posts: 47
    The 6 disc CD changer in the trunk cost almost $600.00 from the dealer. The player is pre-wired to the trunk. Does anyone know who manufactures the CD changers for Lincoln or know an equivalent that can be connected using a wire adaptor to the prexisting wiring? I'm not interested in the changers that convert the signal to FM. Thanks for any input!
  • vic19vic19 Posts: 56
    I am looking for a car and I still have about $1,000 credit toward any Ford product through the old Citibank Ford credit card. I was astonished to discover that I could buy a 92 base Town Car with the $7,000 rebate and my $1,000 for about $29,000. That's cheap. Or is is cheap? The Town Car is a pleasant vehicle, but it really seems like damaged goods when you can get a $7,000 rebate.

Any comments?
    My plan is to buy an 03 in a year on the same level. Portland, OR dealers have been selling Executives for $29,995. Your $1,000 is right on.
    I mean is the car so bad that Ford must give away all it's profit and then some to the tune of an unheard of $7,000 to move the car.

At $30,000 the Town Car is close to a well equiped Crown Vic, but I guess they also have substantial rebates attched to them.

Why is there so much resistance to the car?
    for $9,000 of MSRP. The car is not bad, just way over priced at the gitgo. Resistance is due to the age group of men who have the wisdom and experience to appreciate a fine automobile. IMO there is not much quality difference between the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis, but there is a significant difference between the GM & TC.
    Cadillac 172,083 in 2001. Down 9%

Lincoln 158,934 in 2001 Down 17.7%

When will Lincoln recognize the need for a more powerful engine to compete with Cadillac? 300 hp should be the minimum for a luxury car of 4,000 lbs.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • moondawgmoondawg Posts: 24
    I recently came upon a used TC at a local dealers lot.It's a 97 Signature series.Nice shape.Some marring.It's advertised mileage is at 56k.Price asking..$14,900.I can't seem to find safety issues on this car.Anyone familiar?Should I pass on it or should i go for it?My other possible choice is a new Taurus.(My future father-in-law thinks the Taurus is garbage.In defense of him,he owns,and is a hands on owner of a transmission garage.)
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The majority of T/C sales come from Fleet sales...which were way off in the past 6-7 months....

This is the big reason for the decline in sales...not the lack of Hp.

Rich
    Do you think Lincoln will offer an optional 300 hp engine in 2003? I'd pay up to $500 more for the privilege enabling the navigation of mountains better. Around here, new Executives are advertised for $29,995. I choose to wait and get a 2003 in about a year for that price and perhaps within that year the optional power package (300 hp) will be available. Your thoughts?
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    We do not expect Lincoln to offer an optional engine on the T/C...The 239hp will the the only engine offered unless they make an abrupt change in mid-year. On the 2003 they changed the axle ratio to 3.27 from 3.08 on the Exec and Signature and 3.55 on the Touring sedan T/C...This should help to get the land yacht off the line a bit quicker.

For those who didnt realize...the HP was increased slightly for 2003 over 2002. The Exec and Sig had 220 hp and the Touring editions had 235.
  • I am current on the market to buy a 2002/03 Town Car or Seville/Deville. My main consideration now is reliability and durability of the vehicle. I would prefer to buy a model with engine and chassis being in use for at least 2-3 years instead of brand new to avoid some bugs or calibration problems. Could anyone assist or share your experience if you happen to own one? Thanks.
    I've rented both several times.

The Cad is has a much larger interior. The front seat feels downright clostrophobic in the TC compared with the Cad. There is significant more room in the back of the Cad.

Cad with it's North Star engine has the smoothest power train of any car.

The TC is showing its age. Maybe that's the reason Ford is rebating the TC $7,000.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    56K is barely broken in for the Town Car. Expect 200,000-300,000 with religous oil changes and not hammering it at WOT from every stoplight. And beleive me, there's no comparison. A Taurus will never be as nice of a car as a Town Car. Give me a 10 year old Town car over a brand new Taurus any day.
    the 300 h.p. engine used in the Marauder?
  • moondawgmoondawg Posts: 24
    ThankYou for your imput.still don't know what I'm buying yet!I'll let all know.....:)
    Edmunds does not list a 2003 Touring Sedan. Where are you getting your input?
    The Premium Signature is mentioned in the 2003 Towncar brochure, page 22.
    was a separately priced model. I never thought that the Premium Signature was synonymous with Touring Sedan.

Is this a new wrinkle? What about the slight styling differences that the 2002 TSedan had?
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Posts: 316
    Wouldn't it be nice if Lincoln had an engine/transmission package to call it's own - like Caddilac does with the Northstar?

Here is my idea: Lincoln should produce an aluminum block version of the 5.4 SOHC V8 used in Ford's truck line for duty in the Town Car. With the proper tuning this engine could easily produce a smooth, silent 280hp and 350lb-ft of torque. Plus, it would fit under the hood of the new model without having to make any modifications. To round out the package, Ford should introduce its new 5 speed automatic (apparently one is under development of the F150 line) in the Town Car along with the new engine.

Give this new powertrain a name with Lincoln history like "Zephyr" and FoMoCo would have a decent package that could go head-to-head with Caddilac in terms of performance and marketing.

Just and idea......
  • gkarggkarg Posts: 230
    Lincoln does have a named engine system - the 32 valve engine in the Conti & old Mark 8 was called "InTech".

My 2000 Lincoln LS has a 5-speed auto tranny & is the same one that the Ford Explorer has used for the last several model years, too.