Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    People have been asking questions about Fords 4.6 V-8 reliability. I've got a 95 T-Bird with that engine, and well over 140,000 miles (almost 141,000). Uses no oil, makes no smoke, and gets between 25 and 27 mpg highway. I have also been told by numerous mechanics (2 of them are relatives) that this engine can go well over 200,000 without major problems. However--my T-Bird is smaller and lighter than a Town Car, and the extra weight might add wear and tear to the engine, shortening its lifespan somewhat. All in all, I've had no major problems with my T-Bird, and other than the color and some minor ergonomic details, I love the car.
  • balooo2balooo2 Member Posts: 8
    I agree with your post,the 4.6 is probably the best engine ford's ever built.
    I think you may be right about the vehicle weight
    adding life to the engine.After 100k the heavier fords Crown vic's/ Town car platform develop a smoke problem that that in my case did'nt do much other than make a small puff of smoke upon take off when cold.No big deal but I like my car to be perfect so I traded in my 93.
    And yes I miss my Town car but I don't like the new body style so I jumped ship.
    Good luck with your T-Bird.
  • garsarnogarsarno Member Posts: 72
    Traded my '97 Signature with the 16" wheels / handling package for a White on White Touring Sedan. No comparisons - the car is planted on the road versus the '97. Power is better, probably due to the extra 5 hp and the 3.55 axle ratio along with the smaller torque converter in the transmission. Feels a little softer than my bosses 740iL with 40,000 miles on it. The only problems is a noisy moonroof, the air deflector vibrates annoyingly. Lincoln is replacing the deflector this week and the passenger side headrest needs alignment with new retainer clips.
    The white leather is keeping me cleaning it but the combination of colors is outstanding. The rebate was $5000 and the dealer discount was almost $5000. Bought the car in mid May. Has 3400 miles on it w/o a problem in mechanics.
  • harleybillharleybill Member Posts: 23
    What did you pay for your 99 Signature Touring sedan???
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    i tow a 17' Searay with my 94 Signature Touring using a class III hitch. I understand the towing package is not available on the 98,99, or 00. Is it because of the smaller torque converter in the last 3 years or does Lincoln want to sell Navigators or both? My 94 has 77,000 and I wish the 00 Signature had the 98 Mark VIII engine, but it appears the 00 Cadillac DTS with the 300 hp Northstar is the next car for me as Lincoln refuses to put the LSC 32 valve 295 hp engine inthe Towncar. Not at any price. Too bad one has to pay for a Lincoln Towncar while getting the same engine you get in a Ford Crown Victoria. WAKE UP WIXOM
  • briang1briang1 Member Posts: 5
    Sounds like a good deal. i travel frequently and on occasion (like the last ten days in Hawaii) have really come to love this vehicle.

It fits the five of us confortably and ALL our luggage including golf clubs fit in the trunk.

does 31,000 sound reasonable for a 1999 Sig Series Town Car with 7500 miles on it???

Thanks,
    brian
    31 grand could be O K if it is the Touring Signature. It should be loaded including the moon roof, 'phone, trunk CD, chrome wheels, Premium Sound. 99 Executives are going for 26,000 in the Portland, OR area - same for Seattle and they have from 7,500 to 15,000 miles on them. Hope this is of some help. P S Don't buy a NW towncar & try to license it in CA. It won't pass the emisions test. Good Luck
    I dont' believe it is the touring signature but rather the standard signature. It does not have a phone, cd, moon roof, or chrome wheels. It does have premium sound however.

It is a bueatiful car. Black with tinted windows. Good for keeping the sun off the kids.

Thanks for the info, will proceed with caution and perhaps extend my search.

Brian
  • arlene4arlene4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a l999 Exec Town Car and the brakes are so noisy. Dealer says its normal, gazing they tell me. It is driving me nuts. Anyone else having this problem please help
    thanks
    Hey gang!

Just drove home my new 99 Signature. What can I say, the guy who originally bought it bounced his down payment check and never made a payment therefore the dealership had to keep the car.

They LOST $7,000 on the deal by selling it to me for 31k.

It has 7k miles but I saved over 10k on the deal.

I LOVE it, it's black with dark tinted windows in the back with a lighter shade up front.

SOOOO Sleak and drives like a dream.

Had been scouting this and othere dealers here in Orange County CA for two months and it was worth the wait!

The car was released for sale two days ago!!!!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Happy driving,

Brian
    Congratulations on your buying "Black Beauty". The color will wear very well in Orange County, but here in the NW "Bellevue Beige" is popular as it doesn't show the rain dirt as bad. Did you get the Touring Package with the dual exhaust? I have had the 94 model & my only regret is the factory installs the same engine in the Lincoln Towncar as you'll find in the Ford Crown Victoria. I'd appreciate a Lincoln engine i.e. what they put in the 98 Mark VIII. I've toured the factory in Wixom & saw their computer sequential assembly process. They could install the 32 valve, 295 h.p. engine if they wanted to. I've used Mobil 1 synthetic oil since new and the engine runs like it was new & idles as smooth and as quiet as the day I bought it. I took it to AK via BC & the NW territories for 2 months & at 50 mph got 27.5 mpg. 60 mph = 25mpg 70= 23mpg. This past month I towed a 3000 lb boat/trailer 1,200 miles, locked out of O/D and at 60 mph got 15.5 mpg. Still wish I had the Mark VII engine though. You bought a fine RWD automobile. Enjoy.
    Wow! Those are quite the stories. AK and the towing story. I had heard you could not tow witht he car but I guess I was mistaken (or whoever said it).

I did not get the touring package. I was told 1 out of 100 has it.

If I want dual exhaust and the extra 25 hp that comes with it I can add it. I'm definately getting the CD player and I couldn't use the phone (on AT&T One rate, the cars only have analogue phones in them anyway).

I looked two months for this car, came super close to buying a 98 Crown Vic for 18k and sooo glad i waited.

I returned from Hawaii Tuesday night at 11:30. On my way home I stopeed and looked at the cars on the lot. I saw this one which had a price of 33.8k. Looked it up on Edminds and KBB. i found the same car in a 98 with 16k miles and worked them to 28k. The 99 was worth 3.5k more and had an extra year of warranty left on it.

After carefull consideration, I think I made the right choice, especially getting the 99 with 7k miles for 31k.

I'm euphoric right now. I'm 37, have three young kids, and we can all go out in the best American Luxury full size car made!!!

And leave the 98 Windstar (wife's Taxi, I call it the deli on wheels...at home).

And how glad am I to be out of my 96 Jetta???

...Don't even ask!!!

Thanks Kinley!!

Brian
    Looks EXACTLY like the picture in the 2000 Signature series on the Edmonds site.

Dreamy.

Ps - Told the wife if i lose my job I can start a car service business.

The sales rep at another dealership asked me, 'Are you a limo driver?"

I said, "Yes, I have three young childeren!!"

LOL

Brian
  • aaron8608aaron8608 Member Posts: 1
    How and why did Ford decided to take a beautiful car (the new TownCar) and put that ugly nose and tail on it? Both pieces look some kind of cheap, aftermarket add-ons. Just one man's opinion, but they coulda had a classic if they'd let the guy who designed the car finish. Someone from the marketing department added that nose and tail!
  • coffey10dcoffey10d Member Posts: 1
    I just gave my son my '93 Towncar Exec. I bought a 1999 Towncar Executive and while the price was OK with, the dealer incentives, I am bitterly disapointed with it's appearance and performance [milage wise]. I have given it to my wife to drive and I plan on getting a 1997 with it's classic opera windows, large trunk and overall look of a large luxury car not an imitation Lexius. If Ford dosen't get the message and return to the large look I might as well go back to General Motors.
  • HacksawHacksaw Member Posts: 29
    The fuel economy on your 1999 Towncar will get better once the engine is broken in (~8000 miles for my Crown Vic, if I remember right). I get 18-19mpg driving around, and about 22-23mpg on the open road. At first the numbers were downright miserable, though(17 hghwy).

My biggest problem with the TC styling is the front grill and headlights. It looks more gaudy than elegant, and definatly out of place on a car like that. The triangular tail lights look good, and the overall body design is modern without being trendy.

I too liked the box look of the 1997 model very much, and was sorry to see it go. It's tough to preserve "classic" without looking dated. The box look of the 80's is out; even Volvo is making curvier models these days. Rolls-Royce, the most traditional car company out there, has abandoned the box look.

The TownCar is a very atractive car, it just needs a little bit of design work on the front end. And a 32 valve DOHC engine... :-)

That being said... what else is out there? Surely nothing from GM! The pictures of the new DeVille look downright bland. It still has that ugly rear styling, and the front is much worse than the Towncar. STS? Blah...

The next step up (in my opinion) would be a Jaguar Vanden Plas or the BMW 700 series. Both of these are ultra-modern cars that have managed to maintain a very traditional and elegant look.
    Hacksaw: I agree with your thoughts especially about the 32 valve DOHC engine being installed in the TC. I toured the factory at Wixom and their computer sequential production assembly line would accomodate the installation. I've had three TC's since 1980 and all have had the same engine they put in the Crown Vic that year. If I could buy a 00 Signature with the Mark VIII engine from the factory - I'd do it in a heartbeat. We also have a 95 T Bird with the same engine, 30,000 miles on it, but the Towncar, with 78,000, runs smoother, quieter, and is just as responsive. How Nasser thinks he can market a luxury Lincoln with a Ford engine against the 00 DeVille Touring Sedan is Ostrich marketing.
  • murillomurillo Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 1998 town car. I'd like to know what peoples experience with reliability and maintenance is. The car I'll buy probably will have about 30K miles.

Regards,
    Tim
  • jlundgrenjlundgren Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 CV with 65,000 miles and time (for me) to trade. I recently drove a 99 TC about 450 miles from TX to nowhere AR. Other than whistles and bells I didn't think it handled as well as the CV with the performance and handling pkg. We wanted to upgrade (I'm tall my wife is short and its time for memory seats) and shopped Lincoln. The big turnoff on the TC was the miserable cupholders (they are identical to the ones in the CV's and GMs). We liked the LS but she could not see out the windshield. We settled on a Continental. She could see out (in the 6psgr. split bench version, not the buckets), and I was impressed with the 32v 275hp version of the reliable 4.6 V8. It should be in on the 25th. Incidently if your buying new you can generally get a better deal if you order a vehicle out rather than from dealer stock.
  • jefe5jefe5 Member Posts: 14
    Have 20,000 miles on it and have had two problems. When brand new I had a bad tire on it that required 4 trips to the dealer to straighten out. I guess that is what happens when you bring it in before it is completely broke. Secondly, the right front door started rubbing on the fender. They adjusted it and then had to adjust it again a week later when it rubbed again.
    I love the car. It is tighter than the 97 and handles better. The holes in the leather seats make them cooler. The air deflector in the sun roof does vibrate at certain speeds. I have given you all the bad news, and I really do love the car. the touring package is underpriced and it is a must in my book. I feel like I got an awful lot for 500 bucks extra. The engine could be more powerful, but Cadillac will not get me on the lot until they go back to rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive sucks as BMW, Lexus, mercedes etc. all seem to know.
  • cpbaucomcpbaucom Member Posts: 1
    On my 1999 Towncar, when the A/C is in use, I notice that heated air discharges from the small vents on each side of the dashboard that are closest to the side windows. To me, it seems odd that the system would be designed to discharge hot air from vents on the dashboard that are adjacent to vents that discharge cold air. I took it to the dealer and was advised that this is the way it is supposed to be. Can anybody shed some light on this subject.
    I too went to the dealer and was told the same thing. I'll shed some light, IT'S STUPID!!!!! They gave me some stuff about it is supposed to keep the side windows from fogging in high humidity. I think they are covering a design defect but it is so small, I am not going to get all worked up about it.
    I have owned three grand marquis and enjoyed them and received relatively good service out of all three. They are a wonderful road cruiser and handle just fine with the handling package that gives them the air shocks and the little bit of extra horsepower. I now have a 98 TC with the touring package and it really is the same car. The town car is not "worth" 10 K more than the GM. It is worth a little more, exactly how much is very subjective. If you are really value conscious stick with the GM or CV. If you want to really up grade, get the signature with the touring package. I am convinced that the only reason Ford will not put a sun roof in the GM is that they are afraid they would never sell another TC. Hope this helps you make a decision. PS The reason I am so hung up on these cars is because I really do like a full size car with rear wheel drive and a big mercedes or the ls400 is not in the cards now.
    Pedro: Put an EZ Load hitch on the Towncar. With it's automatic load leveler and size you can take your friends in comfort. If you don't travel far towing the boat, don't worry about a tranny cooler. Our 94 Towncar (Touring Signature) has a Class III hitch, but it tows a 17' SeaRay. Total weight is about 3200 #'s and there is an auxillary trans cooler installed as "the lake" is 55 miles away. Happy Day.
  • pluesch_sesselpluesch_sessel Member Posts: 1
    We are a family of five from Germany and have recently relocated to Madison, WI. Our first car here in the US was a 1991 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE (I thought a minivan made sense with five people plus occasional friends). Well, it broke down twice within a 6 month period, and riding in it felt "spongy" to begin with. After the second breakdown I was getting rather upset, wrote to Chrysler in Detroit asking why a car like that needed three (!) transmissions within a seven year lifespan (and 67k mileage). I never got a reply from them.
    So we dropped out of the Minivan busines, asked around what people thought the most reliable American car would be. And colleagues and friends pointed towards the Lincoln towncar. So when a local Lincoln dealer here had a promotion we took a look. My wife took the new 98 model out for a ride, and loved it. It was beyond our means, however (otherwise I'd probably buy a Mercedes E class here, the type of car I am used to riding), but a '95 model TC (Executive series, dark green, with beige leather seats, gorgeous) absolutely intrigued us, and we bought it. We have had it for 6 months now, drive down to Chicago frequently, with no problems, and no regrets whatsoever. Whenever one of my family needs to go someplace, I volunteer as a driver. I put in a CD-player, but that was about all the upgrade it needed. We still need to experience the car in Wisconsin winters, though. A friend who also owns a TC says two sacks of salt in the trunk should do the trick of keeping the car on the road. A great American car (and maybe one of the last).

regards

Thomas
  • jdickmeyerjdickmeyer Member Posts: 1
    I was one of the first purchases of the new Town Car in 1998. I would like to offer some suggestions and concerns. The car is not a 6 passenger car any longer. The seating lack width in both front and back. The back seat lost leg room. The trunk narrowed. I used to be able to lay a hockey stick in length wise not only thru the opening but also straight across the back, not so in the "98". The windshield wipers rock the car when turned on the fastest speed. No keyless entry although that problem has been fixed. The rear door has a shape that extends to other parked car and is killer for giving door dings. The doors do not stay open. The slightest grade or wind closes the door on your legs. The panel that in the head liner for the sunroof is not secure enough. The climate control has a door that regulates the inside temperatures is poorly engineered and breaks. This has been replaced twice and it means removing the dash back to the firewall. The stereo system could be much better.

I want my old Lincoln's back.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Please take a moment to visit Kenny Brown Talks About Women And Performance Cars! in the Our Turn, Women's Automotive Research Conference. Kenny Brown will be available all this week to answer your questions.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
  • lincoln13lincoln13 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase a 2000 Cartier Town Car and have not had any previous experience with a moonroof. Are they noisy or cold in winter? Are they an unused luxury except in California or Florida?
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    They are nice, keep the heat in ok, the biggest downfall I see to it is that you lose abuot 1.5 inches of head room in the front seats. This comes from a 97 owner's car, maybe they have changed.
    We have a Towncar w/o the hole in the roof and a T Bird w a hole in the roof. We live in W WA andhave never desired one in the TC. It came with the T Bird & we use it very seldom. When driving the TC, we don't miss it. Just my opinion. Personally I recommend the Lincoln Signature WITH the Touring Package which I don't think is available on the Cartier. We have 78,000 miles on our 94 TC & appreciate that package for handling qualities. Now, if they would include a 295 h.p. Mark VIII engine, then you'd have someting that would scoot.
  • eweygrineweygrin Member Posts: 33
    I own a 98 Towncar touring sedan with 15,000 miles. I am in fear of this coming winter. Traction was horrendous last year with new tires. Thinking about getting snows this year. Tire stores heavily push the purchase of 4 winter tires rather than 2. One store even refused to sell only 2 tires! Looked at Michelin arctics and Pirelli 210. Was told Pirelli would work better if only buying 2. Experts claim that if you only buy 2 tires then you will face major instability. Any truth to this?

Anyone have snow tire experience with these cars. My driveway has a slight incline and I could never make it up last year. Fords traction control is useless. When I was stuck the traction control slows the engine down to almost the point of stalling. BAD DESIGN. I have driven a BMW with traction control with no probs.

PLEASE GIVE ADVISE!!!
  • HacksawHacksaw Member Posts: 29
    I have a 1998 Crown Vic, which is very similar to the Towncar. I'm starting to have mixed feelings about the traction control. It engages too frequently on wet roads, especially now in the fall when they're covered with leaves. Granted, it does help keep you going up slippery hills in the snow, but it's not good enough to get you un-stuck. Ford's system is no where near BMW's, but given the cost difference I don't expect it to be...

Regarding the snows... anyone who drives regularly in the snow should have winter tires. Period. All-season is not good enough. FWD is no exception.

I bought a set of Nokian Hakkapalitta 1's (http://www.nokian.com), which ran about $110/tire delivered. They're one of the best and longest lasting snow tires available, imported from Finland where snow and ice are a way of life.

With some weight in the trunk, I was able to go up a steep hill where an AWD Suburu couldn't do so. Believe me-- there is a world of difference!!

If you don't want to spend the bucks for the Nokian's, look at Firestone Winterfire. They're more of a traditional snow tire and they work well on a car like the Crown Vic and Towncar. I think they can be had for under $70 for a 225/60R16 tire.

Some of the newer styles of studless snows, Bridgestone Blizzak and Michelin Artic Alpin (among others), are good but tend to wear faster AND are required to be put on in sets of four. Now, that's a good idea anyway, but not a requirement with the Nokian's and Firestone's.

You also might want to consider a spare set of wheels, especially if you go with the 4-snow option. You'll save yourself every year with mounting/balancing costs, get an extra set of tires in the rotation, and keep your rims looking better (repeated tire changes take their toll). This is an expenisve option though, unless you can get decent looking rims for cheap at a salvage yard.

What else... Hmmm. Check out TireRack at http://www.tirerack.com. They sell tires online, and have some good information too. Their ad isn't out yet, but I think they have a 4-snow tire/steel wheel combo for the Towncar for about $550. Mounted and balanced, ready to be put on.

And don't forget some weight in the back if you drive with a normally empty trunk!
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    Good Snow Tires on the rear wheels and a couple of 50 pound bags of sidewalk salt in the trunk will keep you going. Don't worry about the front tires...if you have good all seasons on.

My Dad's 1984 Grand Marquis has gone through about twelve Northwest PA/snowbelt winters and has never had trouble with the above system! (208,000 miles on the odometer!)
    Thanks for good advice. I do not want to spend a lot of money since my lease will be up Sept. 2000 on my 98 TCar. I assume that I could use the same snows on my next car which would probably be a Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Continental or another TC. My current size is 235 60R 16. I assume the are compatible on above-mentioned cars. I have to do something because Cleveland winters are treacherous especially in our snow belt.
    Since 1967 I've run Michelin All Season tires on every car from the Ford Country Sedan to the Towncar. They have served me very well. I've never had to "hang iron" to get up or down the road to the ski slopes. The last time I was in a tight spot I let some air out of all the tires, down to 22 lbs and crawled out of a snow bank starting in 2nd gear. I've learned the best way to snow drive is with slow motion & lots of patience. Currently, I'm running Michelin X1's and no problem. Good Luck gentlemen.
  • vmendezvmendez Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are at wits end. She loves the "TC" and while there are many great features (handling, ride, comfort), I have never owned a car so big, least of all an American car. I am a very uncertain about this purchase.

My Toyota Camry has 200k and I just came back rom the dealer to repair a brake problem - total cost $50.00. If not for the fact, the car is just plain old, I could probably run this car to 300k.

Please let me know experiences on maintenance costs and relaibility (I know nothing lasts forever, but would like to know the intervals b/w mechanical breakdowns.) We have rented the TC on several occassions and do enjoy the ride, just unsure on long term reliability and maintenance costs.

Any comments would be appreciated
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Help Needed, My Dad has a 96(or97) TC and he was up to visit the other night
    while I was sitting in the drivers seat, in Park, the Speedometer(digital) was jumping all over
    the place, in the single digits to the tens, anyone ever heard of this? He has an extended warranty so
    it will go back, but I was just curious.
    thanks
    F-
  • dranoeldranoel Member Posts: 79
    In your post #87, you state that you like the ride, comfort, and handling of the TC. I'm surprised you mention handling as an attribute of the TC. Compared to the Camry, the TC is a barge as far as handling is concerned. Buy the TC if you want an oversided car with an extremely quiet, soft ride, and total disconnection from the outside environment.
    The Signature Touring model is highly recommended.We have the 94 edition with just under 80,000 miles. It's been around the USA, Canada, and Alaska including the Top of the World Highway from Dawson City to Tok, via Chicken. It has visited ski areas in both countries and the only items that have been replaced are the rear brake pads,(they dragged) and the 4 tires. Yes, the original battery is still going strong and once in a while we tow 3,200 lbs of boat/trailer. In AK we got 28 mpg, due to the scenry, at 70 mph we get 24 mpg. It uses 1 quart of Mobil 1 oil every 2,000 miles. We still think the engine died at the stop sign as the smoothness and quietness is as the day we bought it. All it needs IMO is another 100 horses, but if you travel on level ground, you don't need it. After driving an automobile, it is hard to go back to the "rice rockets" & "kraut cans".
  • invegasinvegas Member Posts: 2
    To # 87:

Here is my experience with my 1994 TC. I inherited 94 TC from parents. This was their third and they loved TCs. I wouldn't buy (at that time) but have driving daily for over 8 months. It is sofa with 4 wheels. Nice ride. Heavy car but nobody gets in way. Gas mileage about 20 mpg but I do city driving so highway should be better. IMO, new model is updated but still handles/rides same (I rented one in Atlanta 2 months ago). Car is faster than I expected. Has more room in trunk than my Jeep GC cargo area and I feel it is as safe as my wife's Volvo. You may want to check edmond's for reviews but this car has had no mechanical problems and runs great.

I think you can get much lower than sticker but this car seems to take bigger hit on depreciation that others.

If I wanted big, American luxury car this would be it over Caddy or others. Friends/co-workers will kid you about old persons car but will want you to take it when all go out to lunch (everyone loves smooth ride and big car feel).

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
    After church we sat in the back seat of our friends Buick Riv.and drove 30 miles to lunch. The following Sunday they sat in the back seat of our 95 T Bird and said,"Why didn't you bring the Towncar?" Installing the carseats for three grandgirls in the TC is a lot easier than in the T Bird. Question: Given the same engine, "Why does the Lincoln 4.6 run quieter and smoother at 80,000 miles than the T Bird with only 30,000 miles? Does the QC section at Romeo ship only the best engines to Wixom? Who knows?
  • cooker33cooker33 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 99 Lincoln Towncar and the widhield has a somewhat blurry aspect. It distorts my vision in a way that makes it seem I am looking through a clear orange peel... the light is dappled. This is true no matter if I am heading into or out of direct sunlight.

Does anyone else experience this? Is this normal? It is VERY distracting and even a bit unsafe as I have trouble focusing on traffic signs.
  • cooker33cooker33 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 99 Lincoln Towncar and the windshield has a somewhat blurry aspect. It distorts my vision in a way that makes it seem I am looking through a clear orange peel... the light is dappled. This is true no matter if I am heading into or out of direct sunlight.

Does anyone else experience this? Is this normal? It is VERY distracting and even a bit unsafe as I have trouble focusing on traffic signs.
  • bshinebshine Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 lincoln cartier t/c. I bought it with 92k on it and now it has 98k. The "check engine" warning has been coming on lately when highway driving, but nothing seems to be a problem. I was told that it is pre-programmed to do that so I would take it in for service. Any truth to that? Or does anyone know what might be the problem?
    thanks, bshine
  • garsarnogarsarno Member Posts: 72
    No distortion viewing forward but I notice that thru the rear view mirror the vehicles seem flatter / wider. Suggest a trip to a windshield installation company for their opinion and then go to the dealer armed with info.
  • indystormindystorm Member Posts: 1
    If you have the money for a towncar, why not get a limited explorer as a winter vehicle? Your going to spend all that money for a luxury car, and drive it in the snow? your nuts-
    Snow & TC are compatible all the way from Big Bear in S. CA to Big Mt. in N. MT. Having Michelin X 1 tires it plows right through. Chains are in the trunk and installed when required. For the minimal snow exposure, the comfort of the TC over a truck chassis is preferable. It is easier to remove the skiis from the TC roof rack than from the SUV, not requiring a step ladder. The Romeo engine is preferred to the Cleveland as well. Continue to have a Merry CHRISTmas Season.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    bshine:
    It may or may not be related, but my sister's 92 Cougar with the 3.8 Liter engine recently experienced the check engine light after about ten minutes of driving. The car was running just fine. I took it to a local repair shop with an evening-repairing Ford technician. He hooked up the tester and found codes that showed the E.V.P sensor to be bad. It is a little gray colored box on the 3.8 and works in correlation with the E.G.R valve system. It is probably on the top of the engine somewhere. At any rate, it was an expensive fix (easy enought that I installed within a few minutes - don't forget to rehook the vacuum hose to the bottom of the sensor.)
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Member Posts: 88
    I rented a 98. Wind noise and it wandered a lot - you had to steer it constantly.
    Did not like it.
    A couple of months ago I comlained about traction of my 98 Tc signature with touring package. I live in snow belt in Cleveland. Could never make it up drive last winter. This winter I purchased 2 Bridgestone Blizzaks. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!I have not even had to wiegh down the trunk and traction is WONDERFUL. I highly recommend these tires. I did not buy 4 tires as most people had pushed. These tires have made my TC an excellent all season car.

I can also say that this breed of TC is of much higher quality than the past. I have 17,00o miles and have not had to return for any warranty work. Wish I could say the same for past cars.

The only down side is that some ignorant folks make comments about a 35 yr. old driving a TC. I have 2 kids and it provides the luxury, power, ride and room I need. I hate minivans.