Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• Just yesterday I was looking at a 92 TC and the airbag light was lit on this one as well, though it was lit continuously. After performing a diagnostic test on the car, the dealer stated this was due to a spring inside the steering wheel which was worn out from the motion of the steering wheel turning over the past decade. He stated that the spring needed to be replaced before the airbag would deploy. It sounded as if the part was minor but the repair would be labor intensive...surprising as the only thing to do would be to remove the steering wheel...The shop manual probably quotes it as a 6 hr repair though...lol. This might be the same problem with your TC you are looking at. If you're partial to airbags, you might want to see if your seller wouldn't repair it for you. Best of luck!
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    your complaint about the A/C fan is the first.
    But I'm not in a very hot climate (connecticut)

maybe yours has a problem?? have you had it checked out??
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    When will the Town Car have a Lincoln engine like the Cadillac has a Cadillac engine rather than the same basic engine that's in the Crown Victoria? For the last several years Cadillac has 300 hp and for 2003 the Towncar will have less than 240 hp. General Motors doesn't power their Cadillacs with Chevrolet engines. I know Lincoln has done this traditionally since 1980, but it's time Lincoln had a Lincoln engine. Why not use the same engine that's in the Marauder?
    I'm not sure if and when they plan on going to larger engine...Actually the only people who I hear asking about larger engines are Edmunds people. The consumers/buyers who are walking through the door seem to be happy with the 2003 T/C. Our sales are up quite a bit over 2002 T/C's...If the demand was there for a larger engine I'm sure they would come up with one.
    What's your opinion regarding the present Lincoln buyer opting for the Marauder just to get the performance? Any significant numbers yet?

In the last few years at the end of the model year, area Lincoln dealers have been selling Executive Towncars for $29,995. I intend to buy a 2003,True Blue, then. The LS has a Vivid Red, but not yet in the TC which is stuck with 'dried blood red', or Autumn Red. A Vivid Red TC with the Marauder engine would be just right.

Again, Thank you for your reply & have a great weekend.
  • Wow. Yes, I have had it checked, but not believing the service department, I also checked several other new T/Cs from 98 - 2000 and beyond. They're all the same. Cold, but no air volume. In Vegas, where I live, everyone who gets into the car from May - Sept says, "what's wrong with your air conditioning?" It's just aenemic. I'm surprised you have no complaints, even in Conn. Must get warm there sometime.....
    Thanks anyway. I won't be buying a Town Car until this is fixed.
    We have not had any crossovers...We have sold 7 MM's and none of them were considering any Lincoln products...I guess there might be some people who might jump up to the T/C but we have not seen it...not even a consideration of our buyers.
  • I'm trying to figure out how and what to replace the bushings in the nose gear of my window motors with, both motors run ok, I inspected the guts of the nose gear and found that the bushings surrounding the actual nose gear inside the white ring gear to be broke down into peices. any illustrations or part #s would be appreciated.
  • I'm contemplating purchasing a 1998 Signature (dark grey w/grey leather interior), 45K miles, CD changer, heated seats/mirrors, moonroof, etc...pretty clean (extra chrome too) from dealer. First, they're assuring me it can be certified but Lincoln's web site says that at this moment only 99 and later vehicles can be certified. Anyone know the truth? Also are (were) there any significant problems with this model/year, as it was the first of the redesigned model.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated. Oh, and they're asking $18,995
    mechanics as the 97 & earlier models. Having taken a factory tour, Wixom, MI, I wouldn't worry about any Lincoln since '91. They are excellent rides. Don't concern yourself with the "wind" noise. That is due to the design of the door mirrors. Enjoy a fine automobile.
  • I agree with Kinley. These are pretty much bullet proof cars. Unless it's been abused, you should be able to get 150,000 and 10 years old before it becomes very troublesome.
  • Ford, I think uses the same window motor in all their products. I've replaced window motors in
    a 1981 T-Bird, a 1985 Lincoln and a 1987 Lincoln. They were the same. Your Lincoln dealer has a kit to rebuild the nose gear assembly of the window motor. The pieces of
    "bushing" that you saw were the remains of the internal gear. I can't remember the price for the kit but I think it was around $15.00
  • The A/C system was checked for leaks, none, and then 6/10 of a pound of R-12 put in. Really is cool now, but only when the outside air is below 90 degrees. Above 90, the system runs cold then hot, then cold, then hot, etc. When outside temp drops below 90, the A/C runs cold continueously. Any suggestions.
  • Still sounds low on refrigerant to me.
  • I'd heard at one time that the rear axle needed serviced before 100k miles, or big bills would be coming up. Was this called repacking the rear axle? Is this something that needs to be done for the Town Car?
  • My experience with the town car and others is to double the owners manual schedule. If it says service rear axle at 100K, do it at 50K - you will be well ahead of the game. It is a cheap service, and well worth the money. Be sure to use the proper gear oil, and special additive if you have limited slip rear end (posi, etc). The mechanic can tell if you have positraction after taking the cover off the rear end assy.
    The owner's Scheduled Maintenance Manual said not to check the differential until 100,000 miles. The local Lincoln dealer's mechanic discovered the lubricant had turned to foam. All the gears in the differential plus two axles came to $1136.00. Thus, last Winter I advised this forum to check their rear ends well before 100,000. One reply stated he did and found foam also. After communicating in person with Ford, Bellevue, WA, they paid for half of the cost.
  • Thanks for the info. My brother just moved away, and I think city driving has scared him as far as how hard it is on the car. I'll relay the info, thanks!
  • I upgraded from my '94 Crown Vic to a '99 Towncar(Signature)about a year ago. The Crown was really nice but, the TC is great! BUT...I have the same complaint as I had with the CV: The disks seem to warp very quickly. I drive about 20k per year, obviously highway travel. The TC disks had to be turn twice before 44,000 miles...and I'm getting close to having to do something again. This just doesn't seem right. Anyone else have this problem? Are there any "super duty" rotors available?
  • I've not had a Town Car do that. My Continentals did it regularly. My Navigator didn't do it for 50,000 miles, then finally needed turning. I'm at a loss to explain it, unless you're in a wet climate. I'm told by my mechanic that driving through water with a hot rotor will exacerbate the problem.
  • dbc123dbc123 Posts: 105
    Have you noticed or had any complaints about the much firmer suspension in the standard 03 Grand Marquis? I'm not sure if the Town Car also recieved this "improvement".
    I was ready to buy my 4th Grand Marquis until I rented a new one and immediately was struck by the jittery, harsh ride.
    No complaints at so far...We sell more Town Cars than GMQ's so I'm getting more feed back on the T/C...and everyone seems to like the ride changes....I think perhaps ANY change would "concern" some of the traditional GMQ buyers but overall its a good move from L/M.

They eliminated a bit of the traditional "float" in the ride...which yonger buyers find so offensive. hahaha. So they are trying to appease buyers of all ages. Leave a little float but improve the ride and handling overall....

Ask your dealer if you can take an extended test drive for a few hours....I think after you get familiar with the change you will find it to be improved overall. example...the previous GMQ when going over a pothole would bounce for 1/4 mile. No more. This is a big change for a traditional GMQ buyer and takes a bit of getting use to.

Good luck
    Rich
    I drove the rented 03 GM more than 300 miles so I'm pretty familiar with the changed ride. I've owned several sports sedans over the years and am very familiar with that type of ride. I've done my time in those cars and now want the smooth, isolated ride that only a large body-on-frame car can deliver. The standard suspension needs to be retuned. Ford is listening to the auto magazine writers too much. If GM/CV/TC buyers wanted that sort of ride they would buy a BMW,Audi,Mercedes,etc.
  • I get equally frustrated with Ford for paying so much attention to the C&D staff's opinions. My pet peeve is the steering. Car & Driver hasn't driven a car yet that doesn't have "overboosted" power steering! Well, I'm sorry, but I love easy steering! It's one of the things that drew me to the Navigator. The steering is wonderful! In 2000, they stiffened it up almost to a choke point for me. When I wrote and complained, I was told the "car critics" had rated it poorly in steering feel. Car & Driver doesn't buy cars, but I do. Ford should be listening to us, and the dealers who we complain to.
  • jerrym3jerrym3 Posts: 202
    If the regular GM is too stiff for some, what does that say about the Marauder, which is supposed to be even stiffer?
    Navigator, I'd wager you and I are only two of many Ford owners who feel that Ford's lack of attention to customer input is largely responsible for it's current mess.
    Ford needs to be true to the original strengths of it's vehicles. The Crown Vics, Grand
    Marquis and Town Cars are true Anerican luxury cars that can be world class in ride, quietness and room. The simple laws of physics dictate that they can NEVER handle like some of the small euro sedans so do NOT try to make them do so. Instead focus on the inherent strengths of this line and refine them until they are best in class. There is still a huge market for this type of car.
    Navigator's comment on steering weighting is correct. My Grand Marquis, with "firmed up" steering requires considerable effort to hold it against a crosswind or excessive crown in the road. Result is noticeable fatigue after fighting it for a 800 mile day. This is "progress"? I do note that the 03's seem to have more boost and may not suffer this problem. Posts elsewhere, however, suggest that the power steering rack and pinion unit is failing on many cars after about 4K miles...
  • gkarggkarg Posts: 230
    I've only seen about 2 on the road since they've been released. I saw a dark gray one last night. The front end is a great improvement. It has a very "LS" look to it. Very sharp!