Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    The way I deal with wind noise is to put in a Dixie Chicks CD and turn the volume waaaay up;-)
  • Yeah, that works too.
  • I purchase a used 2001 Lincoln Towncar with 9800 miles on it 2 month ago. I know have 11000 miles on it. My problem is that the ride is no longer smooth and as I go over manhole covers, small pothole, etc the ride is jarring and noisy. I have a 1997 Chev truck which goes over the same places with very little bump. I have friends with a 5 year old Cadillac and a 2 year old Buick Park Avenue. Their rides are as smooth as I would expect the Towncar to be. My dealer say everything on my car is to specification.. Are there any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Shocks, suspension, etc.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • 0rnery0rnery Posts: 23
    Haven't had a chance to experiment with wind noise yet, but I have a possible problem at the moment. Whenever I turn the ignition off, I get 10 beeps of the instrument cluster tone. 10 beeps, waits 2 seconds, then beeps 10 more times. It does this until I exit the vehicle.

I've got a Helm service manual for 1995 C. Vic & G. Marquis, but not for this 1994 Town Car. It doesn't mention anything about this type of warning. Anybody here know what this might be?

TIA,
    Ornery
    Sheesh. I had one arm of my sunglasses inserted in the front of the moon roof slot. Not sure what switch up there was triggered, but that was the problem!

Scratch that. My curiosity was killing me, so I went to see what switch was being made. Found these photodetectors" on either side of the front of the roof opening. My glasses were breaking the beam! Now, if I could only figure out what the purpose of these were...

...well, I do know the moon roof closes automatically when the car is turned off. It must be there to determine if somebody's body parts are in the way of the closing panel.

• Sounds like your tires are overinflated to me. My 92 Continental would do this occasionally, but it had the adaptive air shocks, and sometimes it would call for stiffer ride, then correct later. It wasn't often, but I don't think the T/C has that feature. Check the tires.
  • The tires are 30lbs now, were at 28 and the ride was still rough.
    There's some guys in the "Mercury Message Board" squawking about the "firm ride" of the newer Grand Marquis. I can vouch for that. Our 1995 G. Marquis has a much nicer ride than our 1999 model. The '99 has a firmer suspension, which I assume is for better handling. I'm guessing Lincoln may have done the same thing with their newer models.

You mentioned that "it's no longer smooth". Does that mean it was smooth when you first got it? Really, the only thing that could effect it is the tire preasure, as navigator3740 said, or the shocks. Is it possible somebody replaced the shocks?

• kinleykinley Posts: 854
    "Touring" suspension can be superior in cornering and handling at the expense of a firmer (non floating) ride. You may have been blessed with the package. Some brands of tires do have a softer ride and some tires within the same brand have softer rides. Try Michelin Symmetry tires.
  • If the ride changed, something had to be changed. If it's just firmer than you had hoped, you may have the touring car.

When I took the Continental tires off my Navigator and put BF Goodrich tires on, the whole truck changed its personality. I was amazed at the difference, and not a good change, BTW. Seems the cars are best with the factory spec tires on them these days.
  • dbc123dbc123 Posts: 105
    You may have been blessed with it as posted above or you may have been cursed with it if you prefer a softer ride. Package was only available on Signature Series and is easily identified by the perforated leather seats, unique grill and dual exhausts. The spring and shock rates are both about 30% firmer. It may improve cornering slightly but is that really an issue for most TC owners? Ride is important all the time.
  • Hello all -- I'm buying a 1992 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series from a friend of mine and will be picking it up on Wednesday. Any suggestions on what to do first? LOL -- She said she puts a quart of oil in every month but other than that no problems -- Can't wait -- Nice to meet you all.
    Diana
  • I do have the Symmetry tires and when I bought the car I seemed to drive on all good smooth roads. It shocked me when I when over some pretty good bumps and cracks in the road. At thst time I absolutely felt a "jarring" ride when I felt the ride would always be smooth or at least as smooth as my chevy truck which it isn't at all times. By the way it is a signature series but only a single exhaust.
    Thank you all for your comments.
    I'm a newbie here too, Diana, though I've always owned a Town Car. The first thing you should do is the scheduled maintenance including flushing all the fluids and replacing filters. Replace belt(s) and hoses as needed. Kinley warned me to throw some synthetic gear lube in the differential, which I have yet to do.

The reason I haven't gotten to it is because I spend too much time detailing it! Just no time to do what should be done, but plenty of time to wash & wax, bleach the whitewalls, apply silicone to the rubber, condition the leather... but God it looks grand!

The ride is to die for! Sorry yours doesn't suit you remo9344. I know just what you mean. I took my wife's '99 G. Marquis on an errand this morning... ugh. Corners like it's on rails, but that ain't worth much to me. Too stiff! If I had to drive that all the time, I'd drop the tire pressure to 24lbs or something. I'd sacrifice tire life for a better ride any day!

• kinleykinley Posts: 854
    "Auto Week"predicts a style change in 04. Perhaps the bloated look will be diminished. Would adding a Vivid Red plus a tach be expecting too much. 003's seem to be of pale, plain, & boring colors.
  • Maybe there's hope after all. There is a huge list of things wrong with this design, and style is just one of them. The interior was cheapened to the level of an Impala with leather, IMO. The dash is worse than uninspired, and it feels like Sears was the winning contractor on the components in the cabin. I feel the power train and frame elements are better than ever, but it just doesn't feel like a Town Car used to to me. Therefore, I have moved to the Navigator for now, but someday, when my knees are gone, I'm gonna want a car again, and if they don't really fix the Town Car, I'm gonna have to look around. Sad, after 10 years of loyal Lincoln satisfaction & ownership.
  • The Town Car was just redesigned for the 2003 model year. I can't imagine that Ford will do another re-design so soon.

Navigator - when you say that the interior was cheapened are you talking about the new 2003 model or the 2002? To me, it would be very difficult to argue that the 2003 interior is cheaper looking than the 2002 interior. If you are talking about the 2003, what aspects of its interior are inferior to the previous generation? Just curious.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    According to Automotive News, which is generally the most reliable source of information, the Town Car won't be restyled until 2006. It will probably use the same platform until around 2010 - 30 years after it debuted on that platform.
  • I'm talking about the difference between the 97-98 on interiors, ie;

1) Digital dash deleted in favor of ugly analog dials, with digital computer readouts for fuel computer, etc. An incongruous mix in an unattractive layout.

2) Sculpted dash panel replaced with straight across flat panel, no character, no fun.

3) Seat pockets deleted.

4) Seats lack lateral support, no design, pleating or cushion.

5) Door panels cheapened - no pocket under armrest in Executive any longer, no pocket in right door on Signature anymore.

The list can go on. Then, there's the matter of the A/C blower, which starting in 98, does not move nearly enough air, at least for this climate.

I just feel now, that getting into a Town Car, it no longer reflects a luxury feel inside. The Grand Marquis is much nicer inside IMO. Not saying it is a bad car, just way cheapened inside from the 95-97 models. I think sales kindof bear that out too. The Town Car used to outsell Cadillac DeVille during those mid 90's years. My friend had a 94, a 96, and now has a 2000. He's now looking at Cadillacs. This little freshening up just done did not address the inside, which was the biggest problem IMO.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    I rented a 2003 TC while on a business trip this week. In the past, I have frequently rented TCs but this was my first experience with the new model. I am a pretty loyal "Ford" man and currently own a Lincoln LS among others. My comments are not meant to rile anyone up, but rather express honest opinions.

Steering: I thought the new TC had a huge improvement in steering feel. The older ones always felt numb and a bit tiring to me - seemed like constant corrections were needed. The new model tracks straight and true.

Interior: Again, a big improvement, IMO. Much nicer trim and appointments. However, I would like more lateral support in the seats and would welcome an optional bucket seat/console/floor shifter arrangement.

Ride: This surprised me. While I welcome the stiffer structure, the suspension tuning really seems out of character in this car. The ride is stiffer and noisier than I expected. I am not surprised that a number of buyers coming from older TCs or Grand Marquis' find this set-up unappealing.

Performance: Another big disappointment. I know the new model has a bit more power. However, it must also be heavier because my rental was the slowest TC I have driven in years. Why on earth they don't use the DOHC engine from the Marauder is a mystery to me. Performance-wise, this car is not competitive with a Taurus, let alone a De Ville or Park Avenue Ultra.

Overall, I just can't help but wonder what Lincoln engineers were trying to do with this car. If the firmer suspension was aimed at us younger buyers, why not put a competitive engine in the thing? They could make the bucket seats an option, too. If all they care about are the taxi and limo trade, maybe the current version is "good enough." And, finally, will the firmer suspension tuning turn off the traditional TC buyer?

My hope is that sometime the TC is again viewed as the "flagship" model of the Lincoln line. I personally do not think the 2003 version advances that notion.

OK, slap me around if you think I deserve it!