Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    Glad you are so happy with your Town Car, I like mine too. When I take my DTS out I enjoy it for different reasons than my Town Car. The T.C. has so far been far more reliable, the DTS has many good features too. It would be a difficult choice if I for any unexpected reason had to part with one or the other. Toyota stock is currently around $ 100 dollars a share, down from around $ 140 so you might do well to buy the stock. Ford stock went up more than 10 % today based on the fact that the company made a profit in the first quarter, I suspect Ford will temporarily pull back and you should strongly consider a purchase of Ford Motor as I think there is an improving set of circumstances with the company.
  • rmensrmens Posts: 2
    I am having a similar problem, I reset the climate control according to your instruction and the blower but did not see any Code, but the blower worked just for one day.
    I kept reseting but nothing is happening.
    So what is the problem... Blend door actuator or A/C relay/sensor?
    Please advise.. and thanks
  • 1993 Town Car door locks work if you are inside the car (manually), but when you exit the driver door, you are not able to lock driver door, even with key. The door panel is removed and don't know what to look for to repair or replace.
  • giggs2giggs2 Posts: 1
    Hello -
    I have a 1998 Lin TC. I have replaced the drive belt on my car because of a loud squealing noise :cry: upon starting, however after one day the sound came back and I was told it could be the belt tensioner. I replaced that too it worked for about a week and then the sound came back it was kinda quiet at first but has now returned to loud. I would greatly appreciate advice on this. Its really annoying although upon cranking after 5 minutes it quiets down, not stop but not as loud.
    Please advise.
  • md2md2 Posts: 15
    my tc is 2005 and i get 30mpg highway and 23 around town just a great car
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    Very good MPG. Now, speed up to 45 MPH. ;)
  • gdt001gdt001 Posts: 10
    I have a 97 signature I purchased new. Now has 164,000 miles and runs like a top. Engine and power train very good although I did have a problem with the transmission while under warranty. I pulled a light boat and started to get a "washboard" effect in high gear. It took the Lincoln repair shop two tries before they finally got it right. I'm amazed that I have not had any charging/starting problems since I bought the car. It is starting to show its age with little things. I can't lock and unlock my door with the key. Probably the solenoid for the door lock. Also, the passenger window will not work. I haven't found out yet how to get the door panel off to be able to check these things out. If anyone knows an easy way to do it, please let me know. It is a great car though and really good for long trips with lots of luggage. I have only used synthetic oil (Valvoline) in the engine since new. I changed the spark plugs once at 100,000 miles and change the oil and filter every 7000 miles. I only get about 22MPG on the road but that is usually going slightly over 70 MPH with the air on. The only thing I can say about buying an older car, do check the maintenance record to be sure it has been kept up to date and taken care of. If it was, it will still give you many years of riding comfort.
    After having to replace the power window motor in the driver's door of our previous TC, the shop foreman advised that slamming the door was not recommended.

Since then - our '94, purchased new, has the original window motors as I request the doors be closed "Gently". The '94 just turned 138K and runs like new. :)
  • I just had the same symptoms and had both the tensioner and the idler pulley replaced at the same time. Cured it. :)
  • gjintheukgjintheuk Posts: 1
    Hi People
    We have just purchased a lincoln town car limo, we are in the uk and find parts are either hard to find or are silly prices. Can anyone recommend someone in the us that will ship to the uk??

• stephen62stephen62 Posts: 1
    What do you need?

I'm in Los Angeles
    Was at a Lincoln dealership today and was told by a sales person that has been there for several years that the Town Car is at an end with the 2008 model. While I was not certain he was correct I felt he was a reliable and knowledgeable source. Can anyone at this forum confirm this. The sales person also went on to say that there is speculation that the new Lincoln MKS
    will replace Town Car. We both agreed that with crude oil at $ 136 per barrel anything could happen regarding the roll out of the new MKS.
    If you sold Town Cars at a dealership with an abundance of 2007 and 2008 models, what would you say to the public?

Only a few of us are willing to spend the Bucks for a new design on frame containing the 5.4L engine, 6 speed transmission, that still seats six in comfort.

Otherwise, are we to be interested in the Mercury GM, LS? I don't think so.

The answer to your timely question is of great interest to the Livery buyers too.
    I THINK FORD IS ABOUT TO MAKE ANOTHER BOO BOO BY NOT MAKING THE TOWN CAR
  • I'm wondering what I've done wrong - does the brand and type of oil make your engine sound like it's coming apart when you start it? If the car has been sitting for an hour or so and I restart it - it makes a rattleing sound like a rod is going to come off. Then in a second - the sound is gone - makes no noise while ideling or driving.

What's up?

Does the type and brand of oil make a difference?
    The only time that happens to me is when I've just changed the oil and filter. It rattles for just a few seconds until the oil has cirulated to where it belongs.

Otherwise a rattling sound on startup may indicate you are LOW on oil. :(

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in all of our cars and they are usually quiet after startup. :)
    They have been making Boo Boo's ever since installing a Crown Vic engine in the Town Car! :mad:
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    What type of oil filter did you use? Did the car start making the noise after an oil/filter change? Cheap oil filters may not include an anti-drain valve, which means the filter may empty itself of oil after the engine is shutdown. Then upon every start, it's like you just changed the oil and the engine is starting out dry. Also, one or more of the hydraulic valve lifters can be defective.
  • I have a 2001 TC Exec. My problems started last winter when the car would not hold idle. That ended one day and now I have to pull a fuse in order to get the interior lights to go off. I have also lost my wipers.
    The shop I take it to has replaced the latch for the door, but the car still thinks the door is ajar. I was told that I would need a new lighting module? I was also told that I am looking at about a grand in repair cost.
    Considering that the door latch did not fix it and that the dash still reads Door Ajar, I am a little worried.
    So, any ideas guys?
    By the way, the doors also lock and unlock themselves randomly as you easy down the road. LOL!
  • You're correct - I've been using a NAPA oil filter and will get a Motocraft one tomorrow and try it. The noise is after the car sits for 1/2 or more hours - only briefly does the noise last but it really sounds bad. I want to sell the car and I don't think anyone will buy it making the noise.

I'll try the filter change on Thursday morning.
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • WOW - that's a mess - My left rear door stopped working from the inside and outside. Couldn't open it- the dealer charged me $490 to fix something that should not have broken in a 4 year old car.

I've sworn off American Cars for a while - the absence of durability has me miffed and I won't get over it soon. Too bad for them. I wrote a three page letter to the chairman of LM and never got a response. The squeaks and rattles, the right rear door problem, the rattle in the A/C vent, the peddle control stopped working, etc., shouldn't be an issue on a $40,000 car. It sure wouldn't be on an Infinity or Lexus etc.;,

So sad.
    Every thing in your post makes sense to me. Regarding the letter you sent, unless you sent it Certified mail with return receipt requested I would send it again. Better yet send the certified letter to the Chairman of the Ford Motor Company. A little more work for you but you may feel more satisfied when you receive the return receipt knowing that they at least received your letter. Hope you will post results here. Best wishes.
  • ltdkittenltdkitten Posts: 3
    The Lincoln town car is one of a dieing breed .If you want a truely full-size car , one with class and styling , you need the town car .The smooth ride , the huge body dripping in chrome .Grab it while you can because "the mad" is phaseing it out .The Lincoln town car is your very last chance at full size American luxury
  • Ya know - - - The Town Car is really just a good riding car with a typical American process incorporated into it. It's not a particularly good car though - compared to its competition and price. You'll have three times the car if you buy a Lexus or Infinity and they'll last longer without little things breaking or ceasing to work.

My adjustable foot pedals don't work, the door locks work intermittently, the steering wheel makes scraping noises when turned to the left and back again (not to the right), the right rear door broke and wouldn't open from the inside or out, the gear selector is directly in the was of the way oversize buttons for data i.e., tripometer, fuel economy, distance to empty, etc., Did any of the engineers ever sit in this before they produced it? I digress - the trunk release has just started to open at random, that's a nice feature, the power mirrors operate like an erector set but jerkier and there's more - So is a great ride a good trade for all the quality problems and poor engineering? NO it isn't. More and more Americans accept "mediocre" as acceptable. Not me - I'm done with American Cars. What a shame.

What's so sad is that the demise of the American Car company is right in front of them (the exec's) and they're more interested in boosting the stock price rather than making a car which holds up for 7 - 10 years (so you'll have to buy more often) and producing a "quality" automobile. Have you driven a Toyota lately? What an awesome car! How about a Honda? Again - bullet proof.

Say good-bye Ford/LM/GM - you're all dying.
  • My Suggestion - get rid of the blasted thing and buy a Lexus or Infinity. Problem solved.
    I read and understand your opinion of the Town Car. Please, advise what year it is.
    Thank you.
    I DONT NO WHAT YEAR YOU HAVE BUT MY TOWN CAR IS GREAT HAVE NO PROBLEMS I HAVE OWNED MANY LINCOLNS OVER THE YEARS AND THE TOWN CAR IS THE BEST MY LAST TOWN CAR THAT I TRADED IN HAD 300 THOUSAND MILES ON IT AND NO TROUBLE SO MAYBE YOU JUST GOT A LEMON IT HAPPENS FROM TIME TO TIME MY MERCEDES BENZ GAVE ME MORE TROUBLE THAN MY TOWN CAR EVER DID
  • panamajackpanamajack Posts: 16
    I couldn't disagree more. Last year I bought a 2007 town car. It is great. No problems at all. I test drove all the luxuries from infinity to Cadilac and $ for $ this is the best luxury car around. those rice runners can't compare, they are small and doen't have the room and luxury to compare to the town car. Today I was driving around town and saw a number of Lincoln Limos. Didn't see any Lexus Limos or Infinity limos. How many have you seen?
    I HAVE ROLLS ROYCE MERCEDES BENZ AND A BENTELY AND I JUST LOVE MY TOWN CAR IN FACT I HAVE TWO A 2005 AND A 2008 BEST CARS I HAVE BETTER THAN MY ROLLS ROYCE AS FAR AS RIDE NO SERVICE PROBLEMS ETC SO I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BUT I WOULD NOT GIVE UP MY LINCOLNS
  • My car is a 2003. And to your 2007 - I bet it is a great car, for now. Wait until its nearing it's 3rd birthday. You'll have a great ride but with several little items breaking. My hood squeeks when I shut the drivers door - started after the 2nd year and I hear in the same thing in limo's. They haven't fixed it - Lincoln that is - and the flimsy arms rests on the front doors - they work about like a six grade shop project. AND you're right about not seeing any Lexus Limo's - who's what to turn one of those into a limo? Linc's are the perfect vehical for limo's but for everyday drivers where you'd expect a $45,000 to last 5 or six years without being agrivated by things which should never be an issue. You won't find a Honda or Toyota, Lexus, et al, rear door breaking where you can open it from the inside or out, you won't find squeeky noises from the hood or control you can't see from the drivers seat - what's up with that??????? Don't they sit in these things before they produce them in mass?

That's the point I'm trying to make. If you could have a new Linc every 2.5 years they'd be great and I'd be ranting about how good they are too. I bought my $42,000 car when it was two years old and had 30K on it and paid $19,000 for it. I won't buy another.