Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• I'm posting this on behalf of my father, who's driven Townies since 1990 (he floated his '90 into a wall @ 60 m.p.h., then bounced back into traffic, where he was immediately struck broadside by a Suburban, crushing the driver's door in to the centerline, spinning him around so the same truck could pop the passenger door, ripping it completely off the car and sending what was left of father and car rear-end first into the same concrete dividing wall . . . they quit counting fractures in his chest at 17, but he lived . . . the woman still drives a Suburban, I've since noted).
    He's looking to replace his '98 TC at the end of lease, and two questions have come up regarding the engine block heater option:
    1. Just how exactly does the thing work and what does it do; and,
    2. Would anyone in his right mind who lives in Tennessee ever actually need/order one (I should add that this car will spend its life under a carport, and hence effectively outside)?
    Info/opinions welcome.
  • The engine block heater is more trouble than it is worth. Basically you plug in engine block heater into electric outlet. It keeps engine oil warm so that when you start the car in cold weather the oil is thinner and begins lubricating the pistons quicker. Factory claims this option helps with extending engine life. I understand that the only people who buy it live in really cold regions. I personally do not think that it is necessary.
  • I am no mechanic, but I have had block heaters on my vehicles that sit out as our winters have a lot of days under 10 deg. If I lived in TN I would forget it as they generally don't kick on (going from memory) unless the temperature is under 30 deg anyway.
    For what it is worth.
  • Although my 88 Lincoln Towncar has a different drivetrain and suspension than the one you have, I must say that there is no better ride for the money. Reliability? Approaching 250K and the only major problem was transmission OD(188K)- $1000.00 and retrofit to 134A AC system, $450.00. Of course tires, brakes and the rest of the usual maintainance is needed. Go and test drive some of the new cars, get back in your Lincoln and you'll think you're in heaven! Bottom line? Don't worry about it!
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    to pay the price of a T/C that has the same engine as in the Ford CV? Should not Lincoln have a Lincoln engine? The 200 hp 4.6 Lincoln engine is in competition with the 300 hp 4.6 Cadillac. Lincoln, prior to '91 had the same 302 c.i. V8 as in the Fords as well. It's amazing how buyers of luxury cars don't care whether or not their automobile has what engine. Do you seeChev engines in Cads? I don't think so.
  • gkarggkarg Posts: 230
    That 4.6 liter engine was designed for and primarily used in the Town Car in 1991 and did not make it into Crown Vics and Grand Marquis' until 1992. They are essentially the same cars...

I think its only been in the last few years that Lincoln started labeling engines exclusive to their cars. IE the Continental's 4.6 DOHC.

My 1994 Continental has the exact same 3.8 liter engine as the Tauruses and Sables. Is that appropriate? Oh well, beside the head gasket going (covered by Lincoln ~ Thanks)...it is a fantastic car.
  • Kinley, I think sometimes the view is that Town Car buyers care more about remote keyless entry and extra storage space, rather than engine. Are you a Town Car buyer? If so, do you think that upgrading the engine would entice non-traditional Town Car buyers?
    my wife & I have a 94 T/C & a 95 T Bird and the same engine is in both. The T/C has 80,000 miles on it while the T Bird has 33,000 miles. If I could buy a new Signature Touring with the Mark VIII engine, 295 hp, DOHC - I would buy it. Having heard about the Mercury Marauder coming in 01, I'm waiting for it. It is my understanding it has the 300 hp dohc engine in a 4 door Touring Grand Marquis. Upgrading the engine would lower the average age of the T/C buyer. Affluence at any age begets comfort. Look at the Cad DTS. It doesn't have a Chevy engine in it.
  • Since you would purchase the Marquis over a Town Car, due to the special engine, you are most interested in performance rather than the other gadgets and amenities that are on a Town Car? To many Town Car buyers horsepower is not a priority -- therefore, maybe it should be offered as an option, or as you mentioned, as part of the Touring Sedan package in order to attract a slightly different customer. I don't think the Town Car is meant to be "sporty" though, which the Marauder seems to definitely be aiming towards. The Marauder strikes me as the Comfort/Luxury Tim Taylor buyer.
    Another important reason for wanting more performance is that I tow a 17' V8 SeaRay (2560 lbs) on an EZ Loader single axle trailer, (750 lbs). Our Lincolns have towed the SeaRay from Shasta to Shuswap & all lakes & rivers in between.The lst Lincoln was an 80 w 351 c.i. and it performed until a heart attack driver drove into it in a parking lot. The '82 w 302 c.i. struggled to tow the boat, however the 94 is much improved over the '82. Yet, why should King Customer accept a Ford engine when paying the price of a Lincoln? Re: the Merc Maurader - Please share your knowledge of this forthcoming vehicle and are you an employee of L/M? Thank you
  • I heard it will have a turbocharged 4.6 SOHC engine, not the DOHC 4.6. I hope this thing becomes a reality. Check out these links for more info:

www.mercuryvehicles.com -> Site Index -> Marauder

www.blueovalnews.com/upcoming_vehicles.htm
  • I have a 1990 towncar with 127,000 miles. It runs strong but I have a problem with oil leak. I have had a local shop replace the oil pan and rear eng seal, valve cover gasket, and intake gasket. Replace PCV filter and gromet. Everything looks good excepts it still leaks oil. The shop says the crankcase pressure is too great and is coming out of pcv. Their solution is to replace engine or live with the oil leak. I can't believe I need a new engine when it runs strong and gets 21 mpg. Any suggestions ?
  • erharderhard Posts: 2
    Bought 99 town car sig. sales person said this vehicle has a different rear end ratio than the exc. Not wanting to display my ignorence I did't it . What was he talking about? Please explain the advantages !!
  • erharderhard Posts: 2
    Bought 99 town car sig. sales person said this vehicle has a different rear end ratio than the exc. Not wanting to display my ignorence I did't it . What was he talking about? Please explain the advantages !!
    check the seal around the oil pressure sending unit. it could be crystalized and leaking.
  • 426b426b Posts: 3
    IS THERE ANY TALK ABOUT ADDING POWER PEDELS TO THE 2000 TOWNCAR?
    That only 200 hp sled needs all the help it can get.
  • Believe it or not, between 1994 and 1996, a certain Cadillac did have a Chevrolet engine. The Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham to be exact, and the engine was Chevy's 350 c.i. LT1. The small block moved these cars from 0-60 in 8 seconds, and generated 260 h.p. and 330 ft/lbs of torque. That's pretty respectable for a big 4,500 pound sedan...

Anyhow, I just wanted to correct you on that little misconception. I also fail to realize why you're complaining about the lack of performance in Lincoln Town Cars. I remember when I used to drive my dad's 1990 Town Car. The car lagged horribly when I went up hills, and I had to mash the gas pedal to avoid making enemies in back of me... Even so, I realized that this wasn't a car made for performance freaks and hot rodders. It was made for a smooth, quiet ride with equally quiet and refined power delivery. IMHO, the 210 h.p. and 275 ft/lbs of torque generated by the SOHC 4.6 liter engines in the '94-'96 TCs was more than sufficient power for these big 4,000 pound cars.

I also fail to realize why you're whining about "paying a Lincoln price for a Ford motor." The 4.6 liter modular V8 is a bulletproof engine whose reliability and dependability have been proven time and time again by law enforcement, so I suggest you not go knocking the so-called "cheap" Ford motor. If you insist upon blistering performance in a big luxury sedan, get a Mercedes-Benz S500. Otherwise, quit belly-aching about the already perfect engineering of Town Cars.

Personally, I kinda miss driving the Town Car... It always rode smooth as glass even on the bumpiest roads... In contrast, there's more road noise and wallowing over bumps in my Caddy than I care to put up with day in and day out. I think it may be time for new shocks, a new steering dampener, and maybe an inspection of the rear air suspension...
    Whe one observes the engine of the MarkVIII & drives the Mark after driving the 94 T/C, the Tim Taylor in me is frustrated. Our 95 T.Bird has the same engine as in the 94 T/C and I still know a manufacturer should not get away with mediocrity in a luxury car. Remember to refer to the powerplants as "engines" for they are driven by fuel. "Motors" are powered by electricity.
  • Sometimes I confuse the two terms. Don't mind me. :-)

Like I said, if you're looking for Mark VIII or Thunderbird performance in a big sedan, get a Mercedes-Benz S500, or even a used S600, and leave the Town Car to more mature drivers who don't care about tire-spinning performance that throws you back in your seat. 99.9% Town Car owners buy this car for its ride rather than its driving "qualities".

And I still disagree with you about expecting a Town Car to perform like it was a Ferrari. These cars and their engines are made for a smooth and quiet ride and tuned for more sophisticated power delivery. You really shouldn't be driving a Town Car if you're expecting this much from a car that was never made to do what you want it to do.