Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• beernutbeernut Posts: 329
    Agree.

Don't be comforted by the nondescript shorthand name. "Fuse" describes how it works, not why its there. When overloaded, it fuses or burns up. More on burning up later.

The real, functional name of that cheap little plastic thing is "overcurrent protection". Manufacturers determine how much current their wiring and devices can take before burning up (I told you we would revisit "burning up") and put overcurrent protection ahead of it that will fail at less current than will fry the wiring and devices. If you upsize a fuse, like you already have, you've redesigned the "overcurrent protection pyramid" and relocated the weak link to the wiring just after the fuse. It, then, will fail first.

Worst case? Your car, house and anything else flammable and within the influence of a very large fire will be toast.

My advice: NEVER upsize fuses, circuit breakers, overload protection, overcurrent protection, inturruption devices, fused disconnects or anything that sounds like one of those things.

That advice applies especially to your house. It sounds dumb, but a lot of people do it - at great risk and building code violation - and if the insurance adjuster finds out about it - you won't be covered.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,251
    I live in a community that has a number of households with people in the 65 to 85 year old age range. The TC was pretty popular but in the last few years, no one has replaced them with new Lincolns. They are disappearing to be replaced by Avalons and Lexus. No Cadillacs, Mercedes, or BMW's. Maybe it will be Hyundai's and Kia's next round for the baby boomers who have their retirement pensions reduced or eliminated.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    "and if the insurance adjuster finds out about it - you won't be covered."

Having been in the Insurance agency business since 1956 I can offer the experience that is NOT true. Penny in fuse box does not negate the terms and conditions of the 1943 standard NY fire policy.

YOU WILL BE COVERED and there is case law to prove it.
    Retirement pensions should not be guaranteed. If guaranteed, by whom? Not me the stock holder. Therefore, plan your own retirement fund & don't depend on your employer to "take care of you". Nothing is for sure for ever. :D
    So, if I'm in New York and I knowingly violate the building code and burn my house down because of it, I'll still be covered? OK, how about if its one of my apartment buildings and, yes, you guessed it, it was full of kids under the age of seven? Is my stupidity and perhaps malice still overlooked? Well, I know you are right and the answer is "YES" but I am just trying to make a point - which is don't risk tampering with upsizing your circuit protection.

I know, I know... this is a car board, so... there was a 1999 Town Car out front the burned too.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Yes it is. Lots of folks in these parts, go looking for a new Town Car, and come away disappointed. It's just not what it used to be. ONe friend of mine drove Town cars since the 70's - and got a 00. Said Ford had ruined the best car on the planet. Lots of folks here are replacing their Lincolns and Cadillacs both, with Avalons.
    Lincoln : Town Car Signature S
    1998 LINCOLN TOWN CAR SIGNATURE, SUPER LOW MILES, 1 OWN

Miles: 19120 Doors: 4 doors or more
    Transmission: Automatic Interior: Tan
    Engine: 8 - Cyl. Year: 1998
    Warranty: No VIN Number: 1LNFM82W1WY689129
    Get the Vehicle History Report
    Title: Clear Exterior: Tan
    Condition: Used Inspection: Inspected

Options
    Leather Seats Anti-Lock Brakes Driver Airbag Passenger Airbag
    Air Conditioning Cruise Control Power Locks Power Windows
    Power Seats

Why buy a glorified '98 with a Crown Vic engine issued as an '06??? :D
    Yeah, but it's a very glorified Crown Vic. Like the Avalon is a gloried Camry.....
    And the Lexus (you pick the model).
    Hmmm, not sure if that's entirely a good analogy, bn; the Lexi are all RWD cars, more like the Town Car, and all Yotas other than trucks, are FWD cars. There are differences. The IS 300 is one car that is actually a Toyota made into a Lexus for the US. But it is RWD. Lexus until next year, has never been sold in Japan.

But, I digress....
  • bdagobdago Posts: 2
    hi, i own a 1995 lincoln. I'm trying to hook up a RF module cd changer, yet i need to find myself a key on hot, and constant hot in the trunk. Can i splice these into the wires leading into the factory amp, and if so, which colors would those be. And if not, is there anyplace else to find these two wirings????
  • ">to this site. My name is Dave and have purchased an '01 town car. She's a one owner 41,000 mile well kept car. While going through routine maintenance items I came across a sticker one the transmission referencing tsb 00-16. Anyone have info on this? I've searched many forums and web searches and come up empty. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    See what you can dig up at this link: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins. Then you can drop by the Technical Service Bulletins discussion to ask about the details while you are witing for other Town Car owners to chime in here.

Welcome!
  • 96tc96tc Posts: 2
    It should be "red", or a wire with "red line".
    Just connect the black line (ground) to the body.
  • 96tc96tc Posts: 2
    There is a box under the break light (at the back of middle rear passenger site). You might want to check if the anntena is connected to that box. You might need converter.
  • Thanks a bunch pat! The links you gave me turned up several more concerns with the transmission. Guess I'll go get busy.

Dave
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let us know how it goes.
  • ghomghom Posts: 1
    i read in arizona republic, arizonas newspaper, that there was a decision in a class action suit in regards to lincoln intake manafolds, and ford motor co. agreed to settle this class action suit in the amount of i think 700+ million dollars. all you have to do is go to a ford dealership and inform them of your problem. i had the same problem, and the remedy was to replace the plastic intake with a new retrofit manafold where the problem area is now made of alum. check it out the refund amount to appx 750.00 by the way, it cost me 1200.00 george
  • 29er29er Posts: 4
    It was very enjoyable reading back through this forum on Town Cars. To people thinking about buying a used TC, do it! My experience with TC's have been very good. The last one was a 92 executive, bought new and driven over 256K (80% highway). Last year I gave it to my brother-in-law who has had no problems. The last six years, in my possession only one windshield wiper was replaced. Nothing else was repaired or replaced during these six years. I changed the oil every 4K miles and did nothing else to it other than wash & wax. That car was amazing!! I have not found anything like it since, other than rotors and brake pads, its was all factory. Good grief, charley brown!
  • trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    I'm thinking about buying a used Town Car for my 62 mile oneway commute and was wondering, I know they did quite a few tweaks to the '03, did they change the rear suspension in some way? I notice that the '03's and newer seem to sit up higher in the rear. Was thinking of an older TC but with all the mod's they did to the 03's I may go the extra bucks and get one....my commute is a bit long but I only do it once a week so an older TC would do....

Thanks