Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• hwyhobohwyhobo Posts: 263
    I suppose people like me are partly to blame for the near demise of the Town Car. I've always liked TC, but prior to 1997 I couldn't afford one. After 1997 I could not warm up to the new design - it seemed weird and overdone just for the change's sake. The latest ones are a little more traditional (the smiley facia is mostly gone now), but with the gas prices today, it is a much harder decision. Perhaps if Ford found it in their heart to put an economical diesel under the hood (limo drivers would also like less fuel usage), but that will never happen knowing Ford US' demonstrated dislike for diesels.

I guess I'll just keep hoping that Ford will go closer and closer to the 1997 styling and perhaps one day even put an oil burner inside. :)

I cannot imagine Ford will completely discontinue TC. They own the limo market, and it would be silly to give that up.
  • Hi, hwyhobo...

What would really be "radical" for Ford to do would be to offer a Hybrid version of the TC, and adding electronic stabilty control to its feature mix. Of course I'm dreaming here. :(
    Ford is making a mistake in forsaking its TC model, IMHO.
    Oh well...

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    What would really be "radical" for Ford to do would be to offer a Hybrid version of the TC

As long as it is not a "make-believe" hybrid, like what GM has done with the Malibu (2 mpg gain). With the real hybrid, maybe even combined with diesel, it might be quite an attraction.

I am not an expert in hybrids, so I don't know potential issues involved with larger cars. Mercedes seems to keep its distance from the hybrids. Perhaps there is a technological reason. One way or the other, Ford has an opportunity to strengthen its position instead of just running away and giving its market to someone else. I can bet you that if Ford does leave an opening, the Japanese will not wait long before entering it.
  • I totally agree with the idea of a Town Car as a hybrid, my 2005 Town Car already gets around 29 MPG highway and 20 MPG in town so even 20% improvement would be a big step forward. I also own a Cadillac DTS which gets 26.5 MPG Highway and about 19.5 MPG in town. Given the fact that the Lincoln is 400 lbs heavier than the Cadillac, T.C. already
    has a substantial fuel economy advantage over DTS. While the DTS has a little more power the lower fuel economy is not enough to justify the lower fuel stats.
    Maybe we should work as marketing and design consultants for Ford. Anybody's got an application handy? :D
  • The Town Car is not being discontinued, at least not for the next 2 years. I have read several articles and they have switc hed assembly plants. They are now being made at the same plant in Canada that makes the Mercury Grand Marquis. There was a hicup in production while the switch was in progress, this would result in shortages for a while but the first one rolled off the new assembly line recently. If you go to Google and do a search on the Town Car you should be able to find these articles.

Ron
  • I believe change is coming in the auto industry and particularly the North American segment of it. I think the Japanese at the moment have a better comprehension of what's
    needed but the North Americans will have to catch up or suffer loss of market share in the future. My guess is that
    the North americans get it and it's just a matter of whether the catching up is fast enough. Posts like yours raise good questions and the awareness of people in general and particularly of those that read these posts.
  • Hello I have recently replaced both air bags on my town car I turned the suspension on and it pumped up but one side is higher than the other. Has anyone else experienced this problem im curious of how to fix it thanx
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    Check the level after your mother in law gets out of the back seat. ;) :)
  • I cant get her out of the back seat shes stuck
  • just returned from a trip to Vegas. I live in the Bay Area and the trip was 10 hrs. plus. Have had my 07 town car for about 3 mos, this was the first long trip. It was fantastic. I can't beleive the luggage I got in the trunk. That is one reason I bought this car as my wife and I travel a bit and I wanted a trunk where I can get all my luggage in. It did that and then some. it had pleny of zip and the handling was great. Great comfort and luxury. The auto pilot worked fine as I used that the majority of the time. the milage was good as I peaked out at 26 mpg. In Vegas, it seemed as though every other car was a town car. Of course there were a lot of town car limos in every shape and color, but there were also a lot of private town cars, Mercury marquis and the ford version. The only complaint I had was that I thought the navigation system sucked. It seemed to stear me to the longer routes. I have taken this trip before and there were shorter routes to take. When it wasn't stearing me in the longer direction, it was just plain sending me in the wrong direction. Don't know what I can do for that. I don't know if I have an older version. anyone else notice this problem?
  • kargkarg Posts: 20
    I bought a one-owner 2003 Cartier L at the end of August and have been absolutely THRILLED with everything about this car.

I have questions for those who own an '03 or newer and live in the snow belt areas:

How does it handle in the winter?
    How well does the traction control work and have you ever pushed it to its limits - in a safe trial-type way?
    Do you replace the all season radials with snow tires?

I believe this car, with having 65K on the odometer - may still have the original Michelin tires - after reading some posts on tirerack. Has anyone replaced with the cheaper Kuhmo brand and if so - results? I'm wondering if I could go through this winter with those being new tread and maybe buying snows next winter.

Thanks - for any input!

I love this car and get some many compliments!
  • nwraaanwraaa Posts: 159
    You may have a defective or debris blocked solenoid, or the electrical connector is not fully positioned on the solenoid at the side of the car that is not lifting. To check to determine if the solenoid is defective, switch the solenoids from one air bag to the other.
  • ortautoortauto Posts: 10
    I've had a Town Car for a few months and can't find anything on the web. Registration says 2004 Ultimate, and the sidechrome says Limited. It has everything except the Nav. system and has no modifications outside factory installed items.
    And your VIN is - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -?
    Thanks for your reply, and help. Vin is
    ILNHM83WX4Y654268. To clarify, I'm trying to find out exactly what LTC model this is. I cannot find any reference to Ultimate Limited so my only thought is that it may be a Signature Limited with all the options and some how an error on the paperwork, strange as that sounds.
    The vehicle is a 2004 Town Car, Ultimate, Limited Edition.
    Thanks for any of you who tried to find any information on it. This is my first LTC, and I've finally found something better than my old Grand Marquis.
  • My 2005 Town car now has 25000 miles on it and is warranted
    to the end of April of 2009. Am wondering whether I should start shopping for an extended warranty now or wait until near the end of the original warranty? My Ford dealer has mentioned that I can buy the extended warranty up to the last day before the original warranty expires with the only penalty for waiting the annual increase in across the board premiums. MY QUESTIONS ARE: Should I wait or purchase ahead of time, and should I consider a different warranty company than Ford who are the only ones who could service the car under a Ford warranty. Is there a Ford dealer that discounts these Ford extended warranties that other Lincoln owners know of and can recommend? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Warranties you are considering are nothing more than mechanical failure insurance. There have been some warranty companies who in the past have gone out of business and retained the unearned premium without honoring any claim. If you must have an Extended Warranty, buy from Ford, however, it is recommended to wait until the last minute to buy for what happens if you buy now, your car is in a crash and has to be replaced. Getting a R.P. is sometimes time consuming.

From my point of view, having had over 135,000 on our TC, I would forego an extended warranty. Now if you had an XJ8, that's another story. ;)
  • Many thanks for your reply. I have owned two Wynns' warranties one on a 1998 Cadillac Deville than on a 2004 Deville. When I traded my 2004 Deville for a new DTS, Wynns' gave me a prorated refund of about 80% of the warranty purchase price on the 04. Wynns also did the same when I traded my 1998 for the 2004 Deville. I tend to agree with the idea of waiting to the last minute to purchase an extended warranty even though it means paying ten to twenty percent more for waiting to the end of the original warranty period. Should the car be totaled in an accident most reputable extended warranties would give a prorated refund for the unused portion of the warranty.

I gather that you have very few problems with your T.C. after driving it over 135,000 miles. What if any repairs has the car needed and at approximately what miles? How many miles did your original tires last? Brakes? From most every thing I have heard T.C. is a very reliable car in all
    model years.