Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• WOW - that's a mess - My left rear door stopped working from the inside and outside. Couldn't open it- the dealer charged me $490 to fix something that should not have broken in a 4 year old car.

I've sworn off American Cars for a while - the absence of durability has me miffed and I won't get over it soon. Too bad for them. I wrote a three page letter to the chairman of LM and never got a response. The squeaks and rattles, the right rear door problem, the rattle in the A/C vent, the peddle control stopped working, etc., shouldn't be an issue on a $40,000 car. It sure wouldn't be on an Infinity or Lexus etc.;,

So sad.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    Every thing in your post makes sense to me. Regarding the letter you sent, unless you sent it Certified mail with return receipt requested I would send it again. Better yet send the certified letter to the Chairman of the Ford Motor Company. A little more work for you but you may feel more satisfied when you receive the return receipt knowing that they at least received your letter. Hope you will post results here. Best wishes.
  • ltdkittenltdkitten Posts: 3
    The Lincoln town car is one of a dieing breed .If you want a truely full-size car , one with class and styling , you need the town car .The smooth ride , the huge body dripping in chrome .Grab it while you can because "the mad" is phaseing it out .The Lincoln town car is your very last chance at full size American luxury
  • Ya know - - - The Town Car is really just a good riding car with a typical American process incorporated into it. It's not a particularly good car though - compared to its competition and price. You'll have three times the car if you buy a Lexus or Infinity and they'll last longer without little things breaking or ceasing to work.

My adjustable foot pedals don't work, the door locks work intermittently, the steering wheel makes scraping noises when turned to the left and back again (not to the right), the right rear door broke and wouldn't open from the inside or out, the gear selector is directly in the was of the way oversize buttons for data i.e., tripometer, fuel economy, distance to empty, etc., Did any of the engineers ever sit in this before they produced it? I digress - the trunk release has just started to open at random, that's a nice feature, the power mirrors operate like an erector set but jerkier and there's more - So is a great ride a good trade for all the quality problems and poor engineering? NO it isn't. More and more Americans accept "mediocre" as acceptable. Not me - I'm done with American Cars. What a shame.

What's so sad is that the demise of the American Car company is right in front of them (the exec's) and they're more interested in boosting the stock price rather than making a car which holds up for 7 - 10 years (so you'll have to buy more often) and producing a "quality" automobile. Have you driven a Toyota lately? What an awesome car! How about a Honda? Again - bullet proof.

Say good-bye Ford/LM/GM - you're all dying.
  • My Suggestion - get rid of the blasted thing and buy a Lexus or Infinity. Problem solved.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,304
    I read and understand your opinion of the Town Car. Please, advise what year it is.
    Thank you.
  • md2md2 Posts: 15
    I DONT NO WHAT YEAR YOU HAVE BUT MY TOWN CAR IS GREAT HAVE NO PROBLEMS I HAVE OWNED MANY LINCOLNS OVER THE YEARS AND THE TOWN CAR IS THE BEST MY LAST TOWN CAR THAT I TRADED IN HAD 300 THOUSAND MILES ON IT AND NO TROUBLE SO MAYBE YOU JUST GOT A LEMON IT HAPPENS FROM TIME TO TIME MY MERCEDES BENZ GAVE ME MORE TROUBLE THAN MY TOWN CAR EVER DID
  • panamajackpanamajack Posts: 16
    I couldn't disagree more. Last year I bought a 2007 town car. It is great. No problems at all. I test drove all the luxuries from infinity to Cadilac and $ for $ this is the best luxury car around. those rice runners can't compare, they are small and doen't have the room and luxury to compare to the town car. Today I was driving around town and saw a number of Lincoln Limos. Didn't see any Lexus Limos or Infinity limos. How many have you seen?
    I HAVE ROLLS ROYCE MERCEDES BENZ AND A BENTELY AND I JUST LOVE MY TOWN CAR IN FACT I HAVE TWO A 2005 AND A 2008 BEST CARS I HAVE BETTER THAN MY ROLLS ROYCE AS FAR AS RIDE NO SERVICE PROBLEMS ETC SO I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BUT I WOULD NOT GIVE UP MY LINCOLNS
  • My car is a 2003. And to your 2007 - I bet it is a great car, for now. Wait until its nearing it's 3rd birthday. You'll have a great ride but with several little items breaking. My hood squeeks when I shut the drivers door - started after the 2nd year and I hear in the same thing in limo's. They haven't fixed it - Lincoln that is - and the flimsy arms rests on the front doors - they work about like a six grade shop project. AND you're right about not seeing any Lexus Limo's - who's what to turn one of those into a limo? Linc's are the perfect vehical for limo's but for everyday drivers where you'd expect a $45,000 to last 5 or six years without being agrivated by things which should never be an issue. You won't find a Honda or Toyota, Lexus, et al, rear door breaking where you can open it from the inside or out, you won't find squeeky noises from the hood or control you can't see from the drivers seat - what's up with that??????? Don't they sit in these things before they produce them in mass?

That's the point I'm trying to make. If you could have a new Linc every 2.5 years they'd be great and I'd be ranting about how good they are too. I bought my $42,000 car when it was two years old and had 30K on it and paid $19,000 for it. I won't buy another.
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Posts: 116
    Funny you should mentioned these items. The same things broke at around the same age and miles of use on both my 2000 and 2002. The same back driver's window quit working. The climate control and mass air sensors. Now my 2002 's dash is lighting up like a Christmas tree. I had the Service engine light fixed for a sensor before a trip. With in, 3 days my check gas cap and service engine light are on permanently. The dealer is not cheap, it is $100 just to bring it to the shop + repairs at $75-100 PER HOUR.

It runs like a champ though.
    I HAVE A FEW LINCOLNS IN MY FAMILY 2004 TO A 2008 THE 04 HAS 95,000 ON IT NO TROUBLE AT ALL MY 06 HAS 130,000 AND NO TROUBLE SO I BOUGHT A 2008 AND ITS GREAT SORRY YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE BUT I AM NOT
    I was looking at Edmunds new car reviews and found the 2009 Town Car listed with information and photos.
    I had been told by my local dealership that the car would be discontinued after the 2008 model. Good news for owners like myself that really like the car. We will have it for at least one more model year. Hopefully Ford will see the wisdom of keeping this car in updated models for many years to come.
  • They were going to stop making it,then they changed their collective minds and will continue to build the TOWN CAR for the near future.
    I get about 29 MPG on the highway in my T.C. If I owned a Prius I would get around 44 according to the stats. To me owning this very fine comfortable car far outweighs the the difference in fuel economy. I suspect other owners feel as I do. With a few adjustments TC could probably get around 35 MPG. This is an interesting Challenge for the Ford motor Co.
    As mentioned in previous posts my Cadillac DTS is not nearly as fuel efficient as my T.C. and I would consider replacing it with a hybrid in that the overall
    package and value in DTS is not nearly as good as T.C.
    Passenger miles per gallon between your TC & Pious is actually about the same.
  • I had a 1990 Town Car. First year for the aero body, last year for the legendary 5.0 liter V-8 avaliable in this model. Cool combo. It was a great car. I hope Ford keeps making the Town Car, it is a modern classic.
  • The passenger window will not go up by itself. Once I get it up, it will normally go down with the button. I can run the button up, and then lift the window manually. I've searched this website and pretty well figured out it may be the motor that needs changing. I removed the door trim and am looking at the motor and regulator mechanism. My question is, do I remove all the rivets? There are three holding the motor, two bolts at the top that hold the metal guide (is that the regulator, or is the whole unit called the regulator) and two rivets at the bottom of the guide. Then there are two rivets clamping the window to its lifting device. Do I take all those rivets out to get the unit out of the door? It's a lot tighter inside that door than a van regulator I changed on my Villager. Any suggestions or answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated.
    2009 Town Cars in 12 year old bodies, engines, and transmissions.

The body design is way overdue for improvement as it came out in the Fall of '97.

The 4.6 L engine offers 239 hp while the Mustang provides 300.

The 4 speed automatic tries to compete with 6 speed automatics in most other luxury cars.

Considering the above, who is buying these tubs? What segment of the market do they satisfy? :(
  • they aren't tubs, they are a great luzury car. We drive ours to Vegas and other vacations in luxury. Never had any problem with the horsepower, the ride is fantastic and the mileage is good. My mustang has 325 horsepower, don't know where you get 300