Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Lumina

Comments

• jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    Have the 3.4 (DOHC) engine checked thoroughly before you buy the car. This engine was discontinued by Chevy, and with good reason. It has a history of MAJOR problems. I own a '93 Eurosport with this engine, and I can't wait to get rid of it. It's very hard to start in cold weather. I also had 3 oil leaks repaired ($1500), and the ENTIRE brake system replaced at only 8K miles (Chevy dealer paid for it).
  • stepjamstepjam Posts: 3
    I bought a a 96 with a 3.1 V6 brand new, and it served well as our family car until we took delivery on our 2000 Venture. I now use the Lumina for work, and I'm telling you, it's a GREAT car. Since buying it, I have cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports Magazine, as I have concluded that if Honda put a turd on wheels, Consumer Reports would rave about it. They are so heavily biased against American cars, especially GM, that I finally got disgusted. At 43K miles, my Lumina is still looking and running like new, and at $17K out the door, it beat the crap out of any of its competitors in terms of space and ride. It's a good, solid, reliable car. Incidentally, I also own a 1988 Beretta, which I bought new, with a 2.8 V6. It's at 200K miles and still runs strong, although it leaks a bit of oil.
    Chevy definitely gives you the most for your money!
    I bought a a 96 with a 3.1 V6 brand new, and it served well as our family car until we took delivery on our 2000 Venture. I now use the Lumina for work, and I'm telling you, it's a GREAT car. Since buying it, I have cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports Magazine, as I have concluded that if Honda put a turd on wheels, Consumer Reports would rave about it. They are so heavily biased against American cars, especially GM, that I finally got disgusted. At 43K miles, my Lumina is still looking and running like new, and at $17K out the door, it beat the crap out of any of its competitors in terms of space and ride. It's a good, solid, reliable car. Incidentally, I also own a 1988 Beretta, which I bought new, with a 2.8 V6. It's at 200K miles and still runs strong, although it leaks a bit of oil.
  • canada7canada7 Posts: 4
    My family had a base 1997 Lumina for three years: Best car we've ever owned. Cheap and good on gas. In the three years we had it, the only thing that was changed was the oil. Definitely wasn't a car that'll leave you stranded, the 3.1L is fine but doesn't have a whole lot of power. The only reason we got rid of it was because the lease ended so we bought a supercharged Regal. We'd definitely recommend it to anybody looking for something reliable, it's better than anything Japanese! ;)
    I'm going to buy a 2000 or 2001 Regal GS in the fall. I'm trading in my '93 Lumina Eurosport. I can't wait. I would buy an Impala if they offered the SC 3800 engine but they won't.
  • achillesachilles Posts: 8
    Tomaso3:

Does your LTZ have the 3.1L or 3.8L engine?
    When does your lease expire? Interested in
    selling it? How much?
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    The Lumina LTZ versions came equipped with the smooth, powerful and reliable 3800 Series II V-6. I believe their HP rating for that year was 195HP.

My 2000 Impala LS has this engine but the HP rating is 200HP.

The Lumina LTZ is a great car! Don't pass it up!
  • achillesachilles Posts: 8
    I have located a 1998 LTZ with 51,000 kms (31,000 miles) loaded but with the 3.1L engine. They're
    asking $15000 CAD (or $10000 USD). Any opinions?
    I guess the Canadian LTZ version came with the 3.1L. The U.S. version had the 3800 engine. US$10,000 doesn't sound too bad and the mileage seems to be right where it should be.

However, try to hunt down a US LTZ with the 3800 engine. Its a much better proposition. Can you get a US LTZ used model up there in Canada?
  • canada7canada7 Posts: 4
    The Lumina LTZ's are the same in Canada as in the US. The 1997 and 1998 Lumina LTZ's came with a standard 3.1 engine, with an optional 3.4 in 1997 and optional 3.8 in 1998. In 1999 the 3800 series engine became standard.
    Achilles' LTZ should have a 3.8L not a 3.1L? He says the car he has been looking at is a 1998 model. Could it be an older version?
  • I had a '98 LTZ prior to my Impala LS. My LTZ had the 3.1 engine. I feel that if I had done my homework first, I would have gotten the LTZ with the 3.8 engine. Nothing wrong at all with the LTZ. I really it, but knowing that a 3.8 was available never sat right with me after finding that out.

Anyone looking for an LTZ will be well served getting on with the 3.8. Don't assume that because it's an LTZ that it has the 3.8
    My wife owns a '98 LTZ, bought in July of '97. Her owner's manual says that the 3800 Series II engine generates 200 HP and 225 ft.-lbs. torque.
    Thanks for the info.
  • luminamanluminaman Posts: 1
    Hey Lumina fans you can read above from tomaso3 the big differences in LTZ's.

To Canada7: sorry fellow Canuck, they are not the same. The Canadian '98 LTZ does not have rear disc brakes while stateside they were standard and the 3.1 is standard,or rather was, in the Canadian '98 LTZ while the 3.8 was standard in the States.
  • merlin19merlin19 Posts: 1
    I'm a bit of a heavy dreamer, when I see a deal I think is good on a car right now, I'm dying for a car, I research it like crazy. There's a 94 4 door sedan Lumina selling for $3,700 at a local used dealer. To boot it has brand new tires, a new battery, and especially new brakes and rotors, which is good because many guides list the 94 as having break problems. The only downside is it already has 104k miles on it. A car with a normal 12k/year on it plus a little leeway would run from 80k-95k at worst, this one has another 10k on top of that. It has a solid V6, 3.1L engine in it. I personally only intend to use the car for long distance travel (300 mile trips) mostly to college and back 6,7 times per year.

Does this car seem to be reliable? I really only want to keep it for maybe 2-3 years until I get out of school and buy a new car altogether so I can sell it and recoup as much of my initial costs as possible. What would you suggest, will she bottom out or need $1,000 in repairs in less than a year or do you think this model is a good buy?
    My advice is to have the car checked by a reputable mechanic. The higher than normal mileage could spell TROUBLE down the line. The 3.1 liter engine is a much better one than the 3.4 (DOHC). I ought to know. I own a '93 Lumina Eurosport with the 3.4, and it sucks. See if the car dealer has a maintenance record from the previous owner. If so, see how often the oil was changed. $3700 is a little high for a car with 104K miles. I would negociate a lower price.
  • melaquemelaque Posts: 1
    i have a 90 lumina. at about 125k miles it had to have the headgasket replaced. figure at 125K it was about time for something to go. is that about average? don't know much about cars but i do maintain and take good care of them because I HATE CAR PAUMENTS.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    As with many things, whether or not you're happy is relative to your expectations. A head gasket at 125,000 miles isn't unreasonable if your car's been reliable in all other respects.

I recently put around Cdn$350 into a transmission solenoid repair for our '93 Corsica, but I figured, hey it's been very reliable up to this point and there's only slight surface rust (Brockville, Ontario, Canada) so that's a pretty good deal.