Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Endeavor Maintenance and Repair

I have a 2004 Endeavor and about a year ago the electric door locks quit working on and off, this summer they quit working all together.

Since the only key entry into the vehicle is through the driver door, I've had to jump in back the SUV to pop open the manual lock for the liftgate. A mechanic I typically go to said it might be a relay switch, whats the opinion here?

Comments

• The gear selector isn't illuminating when my lights are on. I mean the actual selector/shifter in between the seats, not on the dash. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks.
  • The gear slector doesnt light up, it is displayed in the cluster.
  • Really? That seems odd to me. I seem to remember every vehicle with automatic transmission I've in the past fifteen years had a selector that lit up. Is this consistent with all Mitsubishis?
  • We got our new Endeavor a Week ago Monday (11-24) on the Saturday (11-29) Steam was coming from the hood. Took it back to the dealer (12-1), they found that a rock hit the radiator and the car is undrivable. Found out today (12-3) that there is not a radiator available in the country and they are not scheduled for release until 12-15. Has any one else had problems with the radiator or getting parts?
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    So far, after almost 5 months, no mechanical problems. I did have to have the radio replaced, but that was "in stock". Given the Endeavor has been out for a number of months, I'm surprised that there are no radiators in inventory. Mitsu has no control over damage caused by a rock, but had it been a true warranty item, I would push them to take a radiator out of a new vehicle. Good luck and hopefully your insurance covers a rental.
  • I agree with Dan41. I would insist that the dealer pull one from another vehicle on the lot. When I was doing my research for my Endeavor purchase, I learned that there is a big inventory (read: excess inventory) of them on dealer lots. That seems to indicate that it is not likely that your dealer will be able to sell all of their inventory, so they can afford to pull a radiator off of an unsold vehicle, and not suffer any lost sales. You could also try calling around to some other Mitsu dealers to see if they can get their hands on a radiator, just to make sure your dealer is being straightforward with you. I find it hard to believe that their are NO radiators available nationwide, since the Endeavor has been on the market since early 2003. Good luck.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Anyone getting helicopter noise?

boricua "Endeavor Ear Blasting Cabin Noise" Mar 9, 2004 10:30am

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• That type of noise is very common for most SUVs, due to their brick-like shape. Every SUV and some cars that I have driven/rode in have exhibited that noise. It can be eliminated by rolling down all four windows slightly.
  • boricuaboricua Posts: 1
    Adding to Steve-"helicopter noise", and bcendeavor "brick-like shape" comments, I received a facsimile report from the Mitsubishi dealer, "Service Director", pointing out the following:
    "Wind Buffeting"-All Models. Wind Buffeting is a booming/rumbling sound, or the feeling of pressure on the ears. Some vehicles may experience this when driving with one or both rear door windows down or partially opened. This is a normal occurrence that can be minimized. If the buffeting occurs with the rear windows open, open both the front and rear windows to minimize the condition. Or open one front and one rear window on opposite sides. End of clip on report.

Has anyone tried these Window Rain Guards, or, even a hood bug deflector? My thinking is that being an aerodynamics issue, in deflecting, or, diverting the air flow would change the direction of airflow. Although these cosmetic accessories may look a little cheesy, if it fixes the problem I may consider the resolution in lieu of giving up the whole idea of the Endeavor, or, SUV overall.

Certainly, the automobile manufacturers know about this issue don't they? Hence, why have they not addressed a resolution, moreover, why have they not warned the consumer? Are we talking meeting minimum safety standards here? Short or and long term effects on hearing problems due to exposure.
    Please comment!
    Boricua de Arlington, Texas.
  • I was driving my Mitsubishi Endeavor Limited AWD Thru Simonize Car Wash in Reading with my children ages 3 & 1 in their car seats and my sister in the passenger seat. When we came out of the car wash I put my foot on the brake to switch the gear to drive when the car revved up to 80 mph causing me to steer out of control and slam my foot on the brakes which didn't help. I ended up crossing 4 lanes of traffic on Main Street and avoided crashing somehow. I'm shaken up and I can't explain how no one was hurt. Clearly there is a defect with this vehicle. So far the Mitsubishi dealership said that their computer tests came out all ok. Well, I;m not ok and my children& Sister are not ok we are lucky to be alive. Something is defective. They are sending a representative out to see the vehicle now. I don't want this one back, I cheated death once. I'm not taking a second chance. PS. this incident is on the cover of the Reading town paper.
  • ldbrickerldbricker Posts: 140
    You say you put your foot on the brake to shift into drive. What setting was it in when you did that? You said it revved up to 80 mph and you slammed your foot on the brake which didn't help. If the brake wasn't helping what finally brought it to a stop? How can one access the Reading newspaper online to read the story? Don't get the idea I'm doubting your story, just looking for more info to have the complete picture.
  • I was inside the Car wash, the car was on the conveyer belt and in neutral.. as soon as the air blower stopped and I reached where the sign said to put my vehicle from neutral to drive, I put my foot on the brake and shifted the gear to drive. When doing this the engine revved and pulled the vehicle with me, still with my foot on the brake and now I'm practically standing up with my foot on the brake. it's not helping, the engine is racing, the vehicle is pulling thus causing me to drive erratically thru the 4 lanes of traffic on Main St Reading, in between a telephone pole and some cable wire thru the dirt. I cut the wheel sharply to the left to cause it to drive in a circle on and of of the highway south bound lane until My back right tire blew and I could finally Stop it by turning the keys off.
    Reading Police & Fire as say that it's a miracle as to why no one was hurt.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I'm glad you and yours were not injured.

the car revved up to 80 mph

I don't understand what you mean.

I ended up crossing 4 lanes of traffic...

You accelerated to 80 mph in that short a distance? I don't think that's possible.

tidester, host
  • I came out of the Car wash area which happens to be on a Highway with 2 lanes going north and 2 lane going south there is no median between them and I went west thru both to end up between a Pole and Cable Wire Over a curb on the grass a few yards from a fence where there was an electrical box and railroad tracks. If you live anywhere near Reading. Go see the Tracks that were left in the dirt for yourself. They are 4 inches deep. It's unbelievable.
    I ended up in a small Grassy Fenced area next to Jiffy Lube across the Street. Call the guys at Jiffy Lube ask for Adam he'll tell Ya the same story. It's a Crazy Wild, Miracle of how No one was hurt .
  • nybill38nybill38 Posts: 12
    sounds like a case of one 6pack to many...ever heard of taking the car out of gear??
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That's over the line. One may not react in an optimal manner when something totally unexpected happens suddenly.

tidester, host
    however if the car was in neutral rolling through the car wash it would not be mandatory to step on the brake to shift from neutral to drive. It is possible the accelerator could be depressed which would cause the revving and the sudden "launching" of the car. Following that with "practically standing up with foot on the brake" would lead to the higher speeds and wild ride.

From neutral one should never depress a pedal prior to or in conjuction with shifting gears. Once the shift is finished then depress pedals. That's again not meant as any sort of criticism, just an observation based on the details present. As has already been said, the important thing is that everyone is alive and well.
  • shooterdshooterd Posts: 24
    Ok, so I'm trying to get up to speed with my Endeavor research and I find this article from a year ago from Car and Driver...a competition of the "Neither Nors", crossover vehicles. The Pilot comes in first, the endeavor comes in 4th out of 5 entries. An excerpt of some of the issues they had with the Endeavor:

"As the test wore on, however, less flattering observations began to appear. For example, for all its prowess on dry pavement, the Endeavor's snowy-road performance verged on treacherous. The full-time all-wheel-drive system splits torque 50/50 through a viscous-coupled center differential, an arrangement that should have produced sure-footed progress. Nope. Even a light jab at the throttle kicked the Mitsubishi's tail out, a trait that was good for grins on deserted backwoods trails but not so good in any kind of traffic. Substituting a set of snow tires for the standard Bridgestone Turanza EL42s would help greatly.
    Other elements that limited the Endeavor's final ranking had to do with design. The blocky styling drew mixed reviews, although there were those who observed that at least the Mitsubishi had some styling, as distinct from the bland contours of the Honda Pilot. The trendy blue instrument illumination also drew some flak, particularly the LCD info readout in the top-center of the dash, which became all but invisible when the lights were clicked on during daylight hours.

Then there was the issue of space. Although the Endeavor drew respectable scores in our back-seat test, its space utilization was puzzling. At 190.2 inches, this was the longest vehicle in the test, and its width—73.6 inches—was comparable to all but the wider Honda's, yet its maximum cargo capacity was the smallest of the lot, and it lacked a third-row seat.
    "A cool vehicle in many ways," said one tester, "but not a very good package."

So, does anyone have any comments on any of these points? Specifically the snow driving experience? There were only a few Endeavors on the lot I stopped by, but I believe they all had Yokohamas on them. Would the change of tires solve the issue or just help? Thanks!
    Tires make a huge difference in how a vehicle performs. It will never be perfect due to the lack of traction on snow, but I'd discount that critique for the most part based on being able to choose the right tire for the need.

Blue light is the most soothing light and easiest on the eyes. My car has red and while that's much better than white it isn't as good as the blue in the Endeavor and Galant.

The Endeavor is a very good vehicle. You should go check one out and see how you like it.
  • shooterdshooterd Posts: 24
    Thanks, actually, I have sort of "checked one out" for about 10 minutes just last weekend. I have not driven one, but even if I did, this time of year I'm going to be hard pressed to find some snow to play in around the St. Louis area, hence my question for those experienced with snow driving in an Endeavor.

Do you own an Endeavor?