Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Endeavor Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    Perhaps I'm missing something here, but don't we have these filters already installed? They are pretty much standard in many vehicles, but do require replacement at different intervals.
  • I was told that my Endeavor didn't have one. Don't know if it's supposed to be standard or an option.
  • kodenamekodename Posts: 141
    I gave the Part # to my dealer, and he called me back later this morning to say it's an option that costs about $50 and installation could run perhaps $100.They have never installed or sold one.He wanted me be sure I understood that while they call it a pollen filter is not going to filter out all pollen. He actually said it's more to keep sticks and such debris from getting into the blower fan assembly. I personally like the idea of a filter, I may order it just to see for myself what it looks like. I wonder is the filter element simular to a furnace filter in design? Anyone who has had this done, I would like to hear your comments. Thanks, Bill C.
  • This is crazy!!! I was looking on the dealer site where I bought my car. Checked out pre-owned Endeavors. They had eight with between 19,000 and 24,000 miles. There were two listed as Dover White Pearl LS. That model does not offer the color Dover White. I purchased the XLS in order to get that color. The site even showed pictures. They have the black bumpers, rear view mirrors and door handles. I double checked the Mitsubishi site and Dover White is not listed for the LS. Anybody have any ideas on this? I'm stumped.
    My dealer figured out what was wrong with the whistling blower fan on my XLS. A new tech, been there three weeks, noticed that the noise was coming from where two ducts were connected. They were connected with just bracket. He applied sealant and reconnected them. No whistling. I am thrilled.
    So a new 2004.5 is coming out. Lots of standard options, abs brakes, etc. on this one and costs less. Oh well! Had to have a car by March 1 anyway due to returning a lease. I love my Endeavor even though the company is in trouble. Hope everything turns out good for Mitsubishi. Any ideas on the Dover White LS?
    Endeavor owner: As far as a dover white LS goes, I'd say remember what every brochure states"Specifications subject to change without notice" IT may be a mistake that slipped thru the system.All those used Endeavors may be from a early run for a rental fleet like Enterprise.That's how I first became aware of the Endeavor.I had rented an Impala, but I ended up with a upgrade to the Endeavor because that was all they had. I was impressed enough I guess since I did eventually buy a new one.(a base LS AWD)
      On the rental I noticed the gas door or "flap" never snapped shut all the way to rest against the little rubber tabs. I actually checked that out on mine before the purchase.Now mine has 1,000 miles on it and I notice it no longer closes all the way and actually is about 1/4 inch from being flush with the vehicles body. I know it's not been bent or sprung, it appears that the spring tension to snap it shut isn't enough now. Has anyone else noticed this? When I go in for my first oil change in about 3 weeks I am going to mention it.I'm still contemplating the air filter kit. Mr "Endeavor Owner" didn't use say your dealer installed one to try to silence the fan motor?? Did they leave it in, and how difficult is the filter to get acccess to it? This Endeavor site seems awfully quiet...I'd like somebody to compare experiences with!
       I guess even better deals are out there now on the Endeavor as a 2004.5 model. I know they are not selling as well as Mitsu had planned. More people should consider them when they shop the Pilot/Murano/and even the Lexus.I like the fact that the Endeavor is not loaded down with exterior plastic cladding and the body has some curves to it.The tail end is interesting as well.The front seems a little over the top to me, but as with all the SUV's styling is a matter of ones tastes. Bill C.
  • Thanks Kodename. I'll go with your suggestion about the white dover pearl on the LS. I might just call my dealer and ask. I haven't had any problems with the gas door "flap". I'm sure your dealer will help you. As for the air filter kit, they tried that first for the whistling blower. And it's still installed. I remember them telling me before they installed it that it's located under the glove box. They didn't tell me when to change the filter, etc. My dealer told me that it's good for those with allergies not just for debre entering the blower. I don't have allergies, mine was installed just for the whistling. Oh, you'll be surprised, but I'm Mrs. Endeavorowner. And more surprising, I'm 55. I know I'm not the "typical" Endeavor owner, but I'm not ready for an "old lady" car. So if you're ever in Ohio and see a little old lady driving a white dover pearl XLS, that's me! I leased a '99 4-Runner for the last five years and never once did I think I should have leased a "car". I am purchasing the XLS. I am more than thrilled with the Endeavor. I'm only 5'3 and it's easier to enter than the truck based 4-Runner. I agree, if more would test drive the Endeavor, they would be sold on it. Let me know what you decide on the air filter kit.
  • I was on a well-known website that rates new cars based on the owners' response to questionaires that are sent out after 90 days of ownership. The Endeavor got pretty low marks (2 out of a possible 5 rating)in the mechanical and overall quality categories. Has anyone experience mechanical issues within the first 90 days of ownership? How about with overall quality?
    Ms. Endeavorowner: I'm 6',52 years old and my wife is 5'5".We both fit in the Endeavor without any problems reaching the pedals or getting comfortable.I sure don't fit the Mitsubishi target demographic either! I think Mitsu is changing their ad campaign and starting to realize that people over 30 do indeed buy their products and we have some cash in our pockets. After 6 weeks with the Mitsu,it feels solid with no squeaks,no rattles,no leaks and everything works.I just installed the all weather floor mats(rubber) and bought the cargo cover(optional on the LS)I also replaced the factory antenna mast with a short rubber Euro type that only sticks up about 12 inches from the fender and reception seems actually better. The pollen Air Filter will probably be the only other accessory we will go for.The gas door flap is closing fine now, I have no idea what to think about that. Bill C.
  • I like the sound of your antenna swap... Where/who did you order it from, does it just screw on, etc... I hate that stupid factory antenna.
  • Great, I was thinking I was the only one over 50 here. I don't know why I have an "age" thing going on driving an SUV. Had a 4-Runn five years. I purchased my XLS in December and love it more and more everyday. Yesterday while at lunch with a friend, a couple pulled up in an LS Endeavor and I decided to get their opinion. I haven't seen very many Endeavors around here.
    They love it. It's a company car. He had previously rented an Endeavor for a few days and he decided that's the only SUV he wanted as his company car. He gave me a list of all the company cars he has had in the past. Mentioned two Escapes and two Explorers. The Endeavor is far his favorite. He uses 87 grade gas and has had no problem. I use 89, never premium. The dealer said that was fine even though the manual recommends 91. Only have 93 grade around here and very expensive. Where did you purchase your antenna and why. Does the shorter antenna looks better? Glad the gas door flap is okay. I would still get it checked out at the dealer.
    I found the antenna on ebay.I check ebay regularly under the search line "Mitsubishi Endeavor" The guy sells them brand new in a package with several adapter studs.It fits on clean and leaves no gaps,looks like it came on the car. It does flex back some at highway speeds, but it's a lot less intrusive when I wash the windshield. I forget the cost but it was reasonable. He has them listed on ebay everytime I go there. Bill C.
      I am using 93 octane, but I am sure 91 won't damage anything.Maybe if you drive in the mountains or you haul some serious weight you may need the higher octane.I'm just used to buying premium,everything else I own calls for premium, and it's only a dime more per gallon. We all like to complain about fuel costs, but the fact is it should be much higher than it is. The Endeavor gets pretty good MPG for it's size and weight and the AWD.
  • ableable Posts: 1
    And Car and Driver calls themselves experts? Listen this winter in NY has been one of the worst in terms of weather conditions but one of the best in terms of my vehicle performance. Without "snow tires" etc. the Endeavor offers the best performance personally experienced in 6 to 18 inches of snow. One quick story, my brother_in_law passed away this past winter, on the day of his burial we had a snow storm. He was buried at a cemetery that boasted a whole lot of hills. The funeral procession, as you can imagine, had various vehicles. I paid particular attention to the Chevy Tahoe and Trail Blazer. By the time we hit the first hill I was the fourth in the procession. I waited my turn as the Chevys proceeded up then slid down the hill, spinning in just about every direction you can think of in both up and down. Finally one of the grounds keepers told them of a back way up with less drastic hills. I tried the hill, shifting with the (manual) or sportronic option and conquered that hill and every other hill with ease. I have no regrets with owning this vehicle, well... maybe I could have negotiated a better deal, but performance wise it's an A!
  • rfmehlrfmehl Posts: 3
    got new Endeavor Limited 1/31/04. Have been using regular gas w/o any noticeable problem at all.

Have about 3k miles on it. Absolutely no mechanical problems so far other than noisy rear seat fan (used only by kids). Otherwise, wonderful car so far.
  • I want to put xenon fog lights in my 8 month Mitsubishi Endeavor Limited, but I don't want to take out the lights to find out the part # Has anyone already done this and If so what is the part # so I can order them for myself.
    It's taken almost 6 weeks of research and prodding the dealer, but I finally got the cabin air/pollen filter installed on the Endeavor. Part is listed as MZ312931 and it cost me $29.99 plus a labor charge of $34.50 to install. This option is listed on Mitsubishi's accessory catalog, but my dealer had never heard of it. With 3,500 miles on the odometer,everything continues to perform flawlessly. Bill C.
  • stantonb1stantonb1 Posts: 51
    I purchased an Endeavor XLS that came out of a company lease plan with 6,500 miles for $22,000. I had a sunroof with pop up and automatic closure added. Also installed Mitsubishi fog lights and bug deflector. The vehicle is dover white. I have a 2001 Toyota Highlander V6 4x4 and have had agervation with this vehicle. The Toyota has had recurring problems with the brake system master cylinder. The Toyota dealers are not pleasant to work with and I find them to be very arrogant. I also have a 2002 4 Runner and a 2000 Rav 4. Recently bought a 2003 Camary SE a very big mistake I really dislike this vehicle, a 4 cylinder that the dealers just can not seem to get running right. The sound system in the Endeavor is far superior to the Highlander. I can not wait to hook up my iPod to the Endeavor. The Endeavor's ride is much better than the Highlander. Was considering another Highlander and am glad I found the Endeavor. I use 89 octane gas and have been getting exceptionally good gas mileage about 20-22 in mixed city driving. The Highlander doesn't deliver anything like that and the 4 Runner gives very low gas mileage although I love my 4 Runner. I do wish that Mitsubishi had put lighting in the shift lever stalk and not just in the dash, but I am learning to live with this small fault in a vehicle that I feel is basically teriffic and grossly underrated. I have not had any real experience with the Mitsubishi dealer service network yet, but it can not be any worse than Toyota.

Stan in Philadelphia
  • beebee13beebee13 Posts: 38
    Hi....yeserday my husband and I went to see and test drive the Outlander...while at the dealer I saw the Endeavor!....we ended up taking it for a test drive, and fell for it!!...My question was about the gas mileage....Endeavor was listed as 17 city, is that true? what are you all getting?
    Outlander, I believe, got 21 city...does anyone know of the changes made to the '05? thanks for the info....Bee
  • I've had my XLS Endeavor since December and absolutely love it.
    I calculate my mileage with every fill up. In the beginning when the Endeavor was new, I was getting only 17 MPG. After putting on a few thousand miles, now at 5,500, my mileage improved. I consistently get 20 miles per gallon. I've only used 89 octane although the manual recommends premium. Some owners use only 85 with no problems. Hope this helps.
  • beebee13beebee13 Posts: 38
    thanks for the info! the dealership that I went to was ok, but will be checking out another this week....not to many here in cali at least in my area....did you get the leather seats?....the dealer only had the fully loaded to the max cars, and one base so I want to get some more research done.......the "hippie" in me says to go with the Outlander, but the "middle-aged crazy" in me says to go with the Endeavor....my husband liked them both so its my decision...
  • You're welcome. I got the cloth seats. The XLS is the middle "grade" Endeavor. The LS has cloth seats, but the XLS has premium grade seats. I wanted Dover White Pearl and it is only available in the XLS and Limited. Dealer said they made that color for the LS for a very short time. And then made it only available in the XLS and Limited. Heck, I'm a 55 (almost) 56 year old female. At first I thought I should get an "Old Lady" Car, but decided to get what I like and forget the age thing. I like it better than the Outlander because of its size. There's a 2004.5 Endeavor out now that offers a little more standard options and is a little less expensive.
    Be sure to ask your dealer about it.
    I bought my Endeavor used out of lease with 6,500 miles. I installed a Bell electronics monitor that states my gas mileage is 20-22 in city driving using 89 octane. My Endeavor is dover white pearl and really looks good when polished. I absolutely enjoy this vehicle and turned down a Toyota Highlander Limited for it. Had the opportunity to purchase an Outlander which is a very good vehicle, but am so glad that I chose the Endeavor.
    I have had the opportunity to drive my Endeavor on a 95 degree day with the air on full blast and it performed flawlessly. The vehicle gave me 20 miles per gallon at 65-80 miles per hour over a 250 mile trip. Matched same mileage on trip home.

Am also very satisfied with Mitsubishi dealer service network. I had a slight tear in the back rubber door molding and dealer is replacing without any hassle. So far very satisfied with dealer service - Faulkner Mitsubishi, Phila., PA

Waiting for my wife to complain about my giving her Toyota Highlander. She keeps commenting that my Endeavor is appointed so much nicer and the Infinity sound system sounds so good.
  • shelby1shelby1 Posts: 1
    I purchased my Endeavor in Sept of 03 and since then I have had several issues. Overall I love the car but can anyone help me figure out these issues.
    1) When I shift from park or reverse to drive, it seems that the transmission take several seconds to kick into gear. If I hit the gas too early, I get a huge stutter.
    2) If my car is out in the sun for any amount of time, the front dashboard them begins to squeak when I drive or hit the breaks. So anytime that the car has a moment.
    3) Ever since I have bought the car, the front door windows also squeak with a type of plastic on plastic sound - almost like the window is rubbing on the weather-strip. Very annoying.

None of these are large issues but the dealer can't figure them out so I was hoping that someone else has experienced these and can help.
    Thanks
    Shelby , I brag up the fact that our Endeavor is Tomb-like inside.NO squeaks or rattles hot or cold. My hearing is great and those little sounds I find very annoying since I often drive without the radio cranked up. I have no answers. At the dealer I would ask to test drive one or two other Endeavors and see what they are like. What ever the conclusion, you'll have to let everyone know. Maybe it needs a spray of silicone or something, or maybe it's more involved than that. Bill C.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Mitsu trannies have always been very slow to engage when changing between p-r-n-d. My 93 Expo, 93 Diamante, 02 Lancer, and 03 Diamante have all had this slow reacting tranny. This is just how Mitsu trannies operate and not a problem per say. You just have to learn to feel for the shift into gear before hitting the gas in order to avoid any clunks or lunges. I agree it can be annoying, especially if you are in a hurry to shift from reverse to drive and a car is barrelling down on you.
  • ladybugladybug Posts: 1
    I currently own a LS and I've had it for only 13 months. I hadn't had any problems with my Endeavor up until 2 months ago. At that time I had to take it in due to the controls on the driver's door all of a sudden no longer working.....can't roll the windows up or down....can't lock or unlock the doors. That was due to a switch coming loose. Not such a big deal, but still questioning why switches are coming apart already. Just recently, 7/20 to be exact, I had to take the car back to the dealership because my A/C would no longer work. After keeping my car all day, they got it working again, but once I turned the car off, the A/C no longer worked again. Needless to say, my car has been sitting at the dealership for the past 8 hours on today, and they still have no clue as to what the problem is. To make matters worst, the technician tells me that he spoke to a technician out in California who said that they currently have over "200" Endeavors that are having the same problem and they don't know why. I once enjoyed and loved my Endeavor, but these are issues that happen when a car is paid off. The fact that the car is only a year old doesn't make matters any better. Needless to say, I don't think I'll ever purchase another Mitsubishi car again. This is my first and definitely my last. The only good thing about all of this is the warranty!
    I have an Endeavor XLS that I purchased off of a return lease with 6,000 and now have 10,000. We take this vehicle back and forth from Philadelphia to New Hampshire and have no problems. I just turn on my iPod and enjoy the Infinity stereo. I have gone 60-80 miles and hour with the air conditioner on full blast and it performs wonderfully. Have your dealer check out your vehicle.

We have a Toyota Highlander with all options and wish that we could afford to get rid of it. I would definitely consider replacing in with an Endeavor. The Endeavor gives much better gas mileage then the Toyota. I use 87 or 89 octane switching off and get 20-22 city and 25-27 open road. This has been confirmed with a Bell electronics monitor.

Good luck with your air conditioner repair.
  • camlamarcacamlamarca Posts: 40
    I've got 17,300 miles, and the front left brake has hit the wear sensor. This is the fewest mile count I've ever had on front brakes for any vehicle.

I'm about to take the wheels off for closer inspection, but it appears the left is wearing much more than the right. However, there is no appearant drag, and I don't have ABS.

Now, I can personally replace the pads for $25, or should I take it in for possible warranty inspection and risk spending $250 under the "Normal Wear" clause?

At any rate, I am disappointed with how long the brakes are lasting.
  • camlamarcacamlamarca Posts: 40
    Both left and right inner pads were done. The outer pads were down by 2/3. There was no sensor on the right, just one on the left. The primary problem was the uneven wear on the inner pads. There are two pressure cylinders per calliper, and one pressure point was greater than the other. It appeared due to improperly sized shims. I'll stay tuned to Mitsubishi TSBs in the future.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,322

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.