Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• Actually, the price difference between the two is significant. Thanks to the low demand for S40, you can get a fully loaded S40 for $24K. Similarly equipped S60 should be at least 5K more. Having said that, if money wasn't such a big issue, I definitely would have gone for the S60. I would recommend leasing if reliability or lack thereof is such a big concern. The deals they have on 40s is hard to believe. My lease payment is about 50 bucks lower than the best offer for a Honda Accord without any of the S40's lux. and safety features.
  • I noticed on here where a number of people have had the same problem with the stereo as I'm having...the CD works great but the radio fades in and out occasionally.

Does Volvo have a fix for this? Is it covered under warranty? Please let me know if you can help. I'd love to get this fixed but would like to hear your experience before taking it to the dealership. Thanks in advance!
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Not sure there is much to choose between the S40 and Accord. I test drove both and for me the Honda was a better deal, esp when you take into account the S40's lack of reliability. Guess that's why there's a low demand for the S40.
  • I remember somewhere I saw the statement that I should go slow on the new car. But I could not find any information on my new S40. Anyone has the information?

Thanks!
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    what does the owner's manual say? Follow it and you can't go wrong....also, ask the Volvo service guys.....
  • Cheerful,
    I checked with a service manager at a local Volvo dealer that I know and he said there is no break in period.
    Congratulations! on your purchase.
  • The manual says nothing about break-in period. Now I can step on gas. :)
  • I got a very deep scratch on my S40. The color is midnight blue. I could not find find the color code for the touch-up paint. Does anyone where to find it (dupli-color does not list Volvo)?

Thanks!
  • All is going pretty well for me. No real problems or complaints to speak of. I'm still expecting 200M-250M more to come. That's how I'll judge this car.I'll keep you posted.
  • Cheerful, if you are close to a Volvo dealer take it to the service dept and have one of the parts counter persons look it up for you, it is on the engine or the dealer can pull up the color code for you.
  • bond06bond06 Posts: 1
    Has anybody replaced the audio system in their 2000 S40? Would love some advice?
  • jnwflajnwfla Posts: 3
    I was one of those who posted that I had no problems and loved the car shortly after I got it.

Well, it has been 9 months now. The car has been in for service once when the check engine light went on (had to replace something to do with rear air filtration--under warranty of course).

I still love the car and would recommend it.
  • cecilebcecileb Posts: 1
    Hi!
    i broke the 20,000 km this week end - without any problem in sight.
    the "check engine light" did appear a couple of times ...i started using Super (92 octane) and everything is back to normal.
    reading all the feedback scared me at first but it looks like many of the problems were during the first 10,000 km or such (crossing my fingers)...in the meantime, this is the best car i ever had so far...
  • tjphelantjphelan Posts: 2
    My 2000 S-40 stalls every week or so when
    I come to a stop. It happens under all
    conditions, but more often when it is hot
    and the air conditioner is on. On a long
    hot trip it can stall 10 or 20 times if there
    is traffic. It always starts up again.
    Sometimes the radio code will come up on
    restart if the radio was on (but not always).
    It sometimes goes for days or weeks without
    stalling. The dealer says it doesn't happen
    for them -- and all diagnosis codes are fine.
    This has been going on for over a year
    and it is driving me crazy...does anyone
    have any ideas?
  • I'm thinking of getting an '02 S40. Does anyone know if the issues have been cleared from prior years? With the negatives i've read about prior years, i'm very apprehensive about getting it. Thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This conversation auto-archived itself after 45 days of inactivity, but I've had a request to reopen it.

So it's back on the active board -- who wants to talk about the S40?

Go for it! :-)

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • does anyone here know if the majority of the problems is fixed in the 2003 year model (the last model year of production)? Volvo is coming out with a v50 in 2004 as a replacement.
  • hlow88hlow88 Posts: 1
    Hi, I am seriously considering buying a 2003 S40. Is there any serious reasons why I should not buy the car? e.g. quality issue, etc.?

I am going to pay cash for it. In Canada, how much discount can I expect?

devil_taz, have you bought your car yet? Where in the country are you located? Interested in negotiating together with the dealers. Last time when I did it, I save a lot on my car.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    S40 is fine.
    2000 had some teething issues.
    Overall its a good car good value.
    Engine uprated to 170hp
    new steering wheel
    new instrument cluster
    new integrated key and remote

NEWS New V50 is a 2005 intro, not 2004
    Current S/V40 will be back for 04 model yr
  • My 2001 S40 has about 4000 miles on it and it has been 9 months since I bought it. Now the service light is one for 2 min after I start the engine. The question is: do I need to do it now? Or should I wait till one year, as stated in the manual?

Thanks!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Service light only comes on briefly at engine startup.
    I think you can wait based on your current mileage.
  • Check Engine light is a regular visitor. I had the recall s/w patch that was supposed to fix it.
    Car stalls on occasion.
    Car downshifts VERY clumsily (CLUNK) when slowing to turn corners at about 35 MPH.
    Service dept at local Volvo dealer claims to be baffled. I guess they are.
    Lousy excuse for cup holders.
    Miserable visibility out the back.

BUT - My wife and I love it! Go figure.
  • I've had it for 20 months now and haven't had anything go wrong. Reliability hasn't been an issue. Resale value seems pretty bad though.
  • That's probably one of the reasons for the poor resale. I like the car alot, but I see so many people bash it on these boards. I thought it was a snappy little vehicle--maybe a bit small, but still nice. I may still get one.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I drove the car back in 2000, and thought it was pretty nice. I almost bought one actually, then I started reading about all the problems they were coming up with.

The car is not a big seller, there are rebates, and it has a poor reputation. 3 strikes, and you're out as far as resale value.
  • I am eligable for X-Plan price through Ford supplier discount, but I am too scared to buy an S40 after seeing all of the problems.

Maybe I can get into a base S60?
    For about $5000 more, you can...
  • hass3hass3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 S40. Last week on Monday the light on my dial that shows the defrost, heater etc went out and on Wednesday the left side of my push radio buttons went out. I have a 95 Toyota and I have never had any dashboard lights go out. Can I fix this myself or and I going to nailed by Volvo service for this one?
    Hass
    It's probably only one of little LEDs in the dash behind the climate/radio buttons. The same thing happend to my Jetta, but it was under warranty and the dealer repaired it. If you have a S40 service manual, it should be an easy fix.
  • My husband has a 2000 S40 and he has over 68,000 miles on it. We've had numerous "small issues" over the years including replacement of seven headlights and the "check engine" light issues.

However, now the transmission seems to thud and slip as he accelerates. The local dealer "fixed" a leak in the turbo line for about $300 and of course 2 days later we are experiencing the same problems. Is there anyone out there who has reached this high of mileage yet and had problems?
    We fear the worst, of course.
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.