Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• runner26runner26 Posts: 2
    Me too. I just bought a s40 a month ago as well...now that I think about it, no net or belt. I have to take it in tomorrow and will ask as well.
  • beevbeev Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a 2001 S40, but after reading about the problems with the 2000 model, I'm somewhat hesitant. Have the mechanical problems and glitches been resolved on the 2001 models? What problems are S40 owners experiencing with the 2001 S40? I am interested in any feedback and advice you may have for a prospective buyer.

Thanks in advance.
  • amyesamyes Posts: 2
    I AM IN MY SECOND S-40 DUE TO MY 2000 BEING A LEMON FROM 7000MILES ON. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, STEREO FADING, HEADLIGHTS BURNING OUT SEVERAL TIMES AND THE BIG PROBLEM WHICH CAUSED THE BUY BACK... THE CAR WOULD NOT START THE FIRST TIME. IF YOU HEAR FROM THE SERVICE CENTER THAT SOMETIMES HAPPENS, WELL NO IT SHOULD NOT BUT IT HAPPENED SO MUCH ON MINE THAT I HAD IT IN 8 TIMES IN A TOTAL OF 10 MONTHS AND ONE OF THOSE TIMES THEY HAD IT 29 DAYS. AFTER MANY CALLS TO VOLVO CARS IN ROCKLILEGH NJ AND LETTERS AND FINALLY AN EMAIL TO THE MAIN VOLVO PEOPLE I THINK IN SWEEDEN ABOUT THE DEALERSHIP AND THE DISSAPOINTMENT IN THE CAR ITSELF I FINALLY OUT OF THE BLUE GOT RESPONCE FROM THE GM OF THE PLACE WHERE I GOT THE CAR. THAT LED TO THE BUY BACK OF THE 2000 AND A VERY GOOD DEAL ON A 2001, WHICH I WAS NOT TOTALLY COMFORTABLE WITH BUT BEING IN THE HOLE ON THAT CAR AND ALMOST 30000 MILES I TOOK THE DEAL. I AM NOW IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO GET RID OF THIS ONE BECAUSE IT IS DOING THE NO FIRST START THING AGAIN, AND I DON'T HAVE THE TIME FOR THIS SO GETTING RID OF IT IS MY ONLY OPTION. ALL I CAN TELL ANYONE LOOKING AT THESE CARS IS YOU CAN EXPECT TO HAVE PROBLEMS AND IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER I WOULD HAVE KEPT MY 98 ACCORD.
  • langdon1langdon1 Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase my first car ever and have been looking at both the S40 and the Audi A4. I wasn't too impressed with the S40's appearance but then the dealer showed me the special edition. Both the interior and exterior seem like an entirely different car. The titanium gray color is beautiful.

Does anybody out there own the special edition? Besides the interior/exterior appearance, what are the differences? The sticker was a little over 28K, does anybody know the true market value? Thanks
  • txrx71txrx71 Posts: 6
    I have had my 2001 S-40 for 6 months and around 7k miles. This car has performed flawlessly. Its hard to reconcile my experience with my Volvo and the alleged lemons which populate this message board. The acceleration of the S-40 destroys any comparable Honda or Toyota. The ride and refinement is on par with a car which cost 10k more (mine was 23k). Finally, it has panache that a Camry, Accord, Audi(Volkswagen) doesn't have. I have had no problems with this car. With its combination of features I cannot think of a better value for the money I spent.
  • Anyone know how to turn off the servie light on a 2000 S40?
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    Boy, after reading these posts and the fact that Volvo never seems to rank higher than the industrial avg. in JD power reliability index, I don't see if how I'd ever go for a Volvo... Plus, now that Detroit's in charge (Ford), the future doesn't look too great for Volvo in terms of reliability. As of now, the upcoming Audi A4 (even if Audi will break down somewhat compared to the Japanese brands, at least it has the best quality interior on this side of the galaxy), the Nissan duo of Altima and Maxima, and even the Camry looks like viable alternatives in this price range.
  • jnwflajnwfla Posts: 3
    I have had my S40 for about a month now and I love it. I have had Audis and an Acura in the past and I think this car is better. It drives like a dream and has great pick-up. The seats feel great. I wish they had included an ash tray but I guess Volvo considers health a part of safety.
  • david1812david1812 Posts: 17
    I've had my S40 for a few months now and I am very happy with the car. Love the gas mileage, ride, power, etc.. My only problem, which may be minor is that I hear some popping or rattling sound from the sunroof area. I first thought it was from the dash but noticed that the noise goes away when I open the sunroof or press against the glass while closed. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is this an easy fix? I don't really want to take it in if it's not easily fixed since it's only a minor noise. I don't really hear it with the radio on, which is most of the time. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • lad10derlad10der Posts: 9
    1. Turn the key to the 1st position.
    2. Hold the trip button down.
    3. Then turn the key to the third position.
    4. Light will begin to flash and about the third time, release the trip button.
    5. Start the car to make sure the light is off.

This info would found on www.volvospy.com.
  • pacituppacitup Posts: 1
    I too had a similar problem on my 2001. Believe it or not the popping noise went away inexplicably at about 10,000 miles. Gone. Might of been part of the break in process. Now, everything is perfect.
  • gkone69gkone69 Posts: 1
    Bought a Volvo S40 last year in march. The car had 466 miles on me & it died on me. the check engine light keeps coming up almost every other week. The speedometer stopped working & the abs system had corrosion in it. I do not park my car in a swamp. The car died on me twice again, I took it back & they said that the realy switch in the fuel pump had to be replaced. At this poin I was really frustrated so I demanded a new car or my money back.... I live in Washington state where the lemon law states that if the car is a lemon then the manufacturer gives you the blue book value of the car & not the original cost of the car. As the auto industry is so strong in this country anytime there is a lemon the customer is the one who suffers at all times. After looking into the lemon law & taking legal advice I decided to take back my car as I was the one who was getting screwed. All this time... for two months I was without a car since I did not feel safe enough to drive that car as it had died on me 4 times .... When I get it back after two months I drive the car for about ten miles & the car dies again... I would never ever buy a Volvo again & the company is the worst to deal with.My friend had a BMW & it was a lemon & they took good care of him... The S40's ARE BAD.. DO NOT BUY THEM.
    Since I may be one of the few in this board who have actually owned both a ego metro and a volvo s-40 I can say that while this may not be a bad statement it is also not true. by the way, I had my geo metro for 136k with no troubles at all except for replacing the brakes ($350). the s-40 is a very nice car. this is not a brand new build, it has been in europe for several years prior to being sold here in the us. if you have a chance to go to europe, basically the only volvo you see over there, and you see a fair amount, are the s-40s. my s-40 has 7k and no troubles at all so far. one strange thing about yours, seems like the dealership should at least have given you a loaner...also...was this car flooded?
  • david1812david1812 Posts: 17
    Thanks. I'll wait a six months or so. If it doesn't go away, I'll mention it at the 7.5K service.
  • I could not believe all the problems I was reading on here, my dealership makes me think I am the only person on this planet having problems with my car! I too have had a/c problems, hub cap symbols popping off more than I care to recall. I have had this car for 13 months, and on unlucky number 13 trip to the service department I was told I need to replace my front and rear brakes at 14,500 miles. I had a 1979 Ford Pinto with less problems. Not to mention the vacuum valve on the brakes breaking twice. The first time I was told my brakes didn't work because I was not letting my car warm up long enough.
    This car is not worth 28+ thousand dollars. I leased this car because of Volvo's reputation, good thing they have such high saftey standards, who knows what will happen next time my brakes stop working.
  • I have a 2001 Volvo S40. It gets stuck in park sometimes. The dealer said I wasn't pressing on the brake hard enough, but even when I floor the break and try to put the car in drive it won't budge. Sound familiar to anyone? If so, what was the problem?
    Thanks.
  • I just wanted to get your attention for a moment if you have a 2000 Volvo S40. Be aware that your brakes are warrantied until 12,000 miles. Your "high performance" rear brakes will need to be replace between 6000-20,000 miles. I have found that it is mostly around 15,000 miles, which is completely insane!

The clicking in the steering column is not in your head. It is a problem that many of us have. I have chosen to ignore it for fear of the masterminds at my dealership completely screwing up my steering column.

You are also not imagining that your brakes completely suck the first 5-15 minutes of drive time. This is another problem. AND the service bulletin most likely will not fix this issue, so don't get fed the line about the fuses.

When your BRAKE light goes on and your dealer just tops off your fluid, BEWARE!!!!!! Brakes are failing even after your fluid is topped off. I have read this several times! Let's get serious now, do you honestly think that your fluid should get low in your first 15,000 miles?? I believe that I lost fluid due to malfunctioning rear callipers. I believe that my rear brakes have been dragging... and if the dealer would have maybe checked them instead of just topping off the fluid, my "high performance" pads (which by the way will not be the same ones that your pads will be replaced with. The new ones are harder...hmmmm.)my rotor would not need to be replaced. Yep, I know there are 2 rotors in the back... passenger side wears more... a hydraulics problem? Maybe? Maybe not, but I am a girl so I must not know anything about cars.

Oh, but after scaring the dealer they replace my entire rear brake system... BUT I had to wait for them to fly another rotor in because the over 12 area Volvo dealers did not have a single rotor in stock for this car. Gee, maybe because we all need them!!!!

Oh, by the way, if you gas mileage sucks, it could be your spark plugs that suck, or perhaps it's those rear brakes dragging. I get 16.7 MPG, used to get 21. Drive the SAME drive each and every day to and from work. I would consider it city driving even though I am on the expressway... only for about 8 minutes.
    I used to have a 91 Taurus... 6 cyl better gas mileage than my poor S40. And, I do not drive like a jerk either.

Oh, and yep, the headlight bulbs will go out quite frequently, but once your dealer works thru old crap stock you will get longer life bulbs that will last.

The buzzing fuel pump... another Volvo secret, last I heard they were still trying to figure this one out. A new fuel pump was manufactured.

Other problems you may have that (knock on wood) I have not experienced:
    Stereo bad reception
    Alarm malfunctioning
    Truck lock forever frozen
    Plastic wheel inserts falling off
    Air Conditioner working only for the first hour or so of a long trip
    Fuel injectors dumping into cyl
    vacuum valve on the brakes
    Hard starts (engine should not crank 6 times to start)
    Alignment off initially
    gas odor inside of car

I would LOVE to hear from all of you.. even those who are going to say "I love my car, it's spectacular" I would love to hear what your gas mileage is since my dealer told me there was nothing else he could do. I would love to hear from anyone with any advice. I have gotten wonderful advice on the brickboard! Diehards are a wealth of information and I truly appreciate all of it! Any information brought forth only helps others!

I would also like to let you know a few things... I am not a new Volvo owner, I am not a Volvo hater. I deal with Volvo body parts all day. I talk to thousands of Volvo owners every month. Since I am dealing with replacement body parts, I am not hearing from S40 owners, as we are all new people. I love Volvos, in fact, although my car makes me want to throw up on most days, I still love my car. You know, you own a Volvo and it becomes a person. You name it... well, I did. Anyway I also have an 850 which is Mahvelous. However if I could do it all over again I would have save a few more grand and bought a BMW, or I would have went to out to find the nice Mexican family that bought "Rusty" the trusty 240 wagon from my youth. Plaid seat and all. If you have a 240, 740, 850, for the love of God, keep it, don't upgrade to this (not that it would be an UPgrade for any of them technically) Wait until Volvo straightens their act out. You will be glad you did!!! If you are looking into purchasing this car used, you need to think about this: Why is a car that has only been owned for 20 months or less for sale? Test car? Maybe. Probably not.

For those of you who have a wonderful 2000 S40 congratulations, I am jealous. BEWARE.

Feel free to post to the board or directly to my email: volvolights@aol.com

Owner of Holly the sad S40 :(
    I get 27 mpg in my volvo. no strange noises or knocks. the ride is comfortable and smooth. Acceleration is outrageous and the car cruises comfortably at 90+mph. the engine has a nice percolating rumble to it during idling and the transmission shifts adeptly. The brakes work wonderfully. The doors shut soundly and the car sounds like its made of solid steel. The radio works beautifully and its much cleaner, crisper and yes... louder than a lot of custom jobs that teenagers save up a whole summer for. The interior of my car is black leather which matches beautifully with the glossy fire engine red exterior. with all that said... must admit, I did have a problem with mine... one blown fuse and at one point... thought another blown fuse since my blinkers stopped working... but then the next day after a visit to the dealership, they worked again-perhaps the wiring was done by an exiled GM autoworker. other than that..my volvo is a piece of art. surely these other problem cars are not made by volvo..but instead that other swedish car maker..have those posts been misplaced?
  • dgibaracdgibarac Posts: 1
    We have S40 leased. For many times check engine light disturbed us. Service says usually that we did not closed fuel cap properly but can not be proven. Last time they changed the program in cars computer but after a week the same. We must wait in service few/several hours for car without replacement... Does anybody know if we have rights e.g. replace the car, break lease contract, demand expertise, ask for some reimbursement due repeating inconvenience etc>

Dusan
  • robertagrobertag Posts: 6
    If you are using regular fuel, that could be it. I had the same thing happen at first. It dissapeared after I switched to premium. I have also read the same thing elsewhere.