Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• Thanks for the additional input. Maybe I will call the other Volvo dealers in my area and see what they have to offer before I opt for a Subaru Outback wagon.
         The manual height adjustment would be fine with me. The brochure talks about "driver seat with manual tilt, recline and adjustable lumbar support." The salesman told me in no uncertain terms that I would need the power seat to get full height adjustment on the seat cushion because the manual seat adjusts only tilt.
         Salesman also told me we could special order a V40 since the V50 won't be introduced until a year or so after the new S40 -- because Volvo still is under contract to produce the V40 "for a while yet."
         Regular gas. Moonroof doesn't take away any headroom at all. I'll find that the V40 is smaller than my Corolla wagon (not true) so I really should be looking at the V70. And the V40 is selling like hotcakes, which is why they can't keep them on the lot. This salesman obviously doesn't know the first thing about the vehicle.
  • A couple of folks commented on the headlights for the V40. I complained to the dealer about that in January 2003. They replaced the bulbs and wiring harnesses at no charge. The maintenance printout is confusing, but one of the lines references S.B. 37-0008.

I also had a problem with the air conditioner freezing up. That was corrected by the dealer with a software update.

I got 30k miles on the back brakes and 46k on the front.
  • How often do people change the oil? Dealer told me 7500 miles and I have been following that.

Anybody have a strage squealing/high pitched rubbing sound when turning the wheel at driveway speeds. I do not believe it is the tires as it sounds like it comes from the steering column and never occured before 4-5 months ago.

I am attempting to use SWAPALEASE to get out of my care early. I think that I have a person lined up and may be getting rid of it soon. Want to make sure things are right for the next lessee. Price, no equity, and a desire to not have a car anymore has fuled my desire to get out.

Anyhoo...any comments would be appreciated!
  • Since both these cars have the same frame and the M3s has a Cotesworth designed engine, what are the advantages of the S40 besides o-60 times?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I think Volvo is making a mistake with the new S40's styling. It looks exactly like the S60 and S80, only smaller. Now all the Volvos look alike with the only distinction being size. I understand their should be a family resemblance but they could have done something different with the front styling and the tailights. The look is getting old fast.
  • If you take a closer look at the new S40 inside and out, it has many differences. The interior is completely redesigned, and the exterior dimensions of the car are of different proportions that its larger siblings. The car is shorter and wider, and the inside cabin has been designed to maximize space so it will be roomier than its competing vehicles like the A4 and 3series.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Proportions may be different but you can't deny the front end, tailights, and roofline look exactly like its bigger brothers. Very little difference in shape, particularly the tailights. They had to reach out to do something different with the interior and simply ended up with a wacky vertical arrangement of buttons that doesn't look too ergonomically correct. I think Volvo needs to loosen up on their styling theme a little.
  • You are right that they are essentially the same exterior. That is the way most companies do it, i.e. BMW and Audi. I think what Volvo has done is create a car that is very much a volvo but as a first it has a young, sporty appeal. Putting the T5 engine in this car is going to make it a rocket, and once the 6 speed with AWD is released it should be great. Also, the center console design was made to mimic your TV remote, the most used controller in a persons life. Not to say its going to be ergonomically amazing but it is an interesting concept.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Volvo has a better warranty, better dealer network, more power, better powerplant choices, of course safety. The Mazda won't offer WHIPS or the High strength and ultra high strength cage structures. Materials, ride quality, the list goes on and on.

As for styling, most European automakers choose to have a consistent theme with their products.
    The reinforces brand image and gives a sense of continuity to the brand.
    Mercedes C class, E class and S class look alot alike, so do Audis and Bimmers.
    Volvo's new style is quite a departure for them,and remember this is a car that has to look good 5 yrs or 10 yrs or 15 yrs from now. I don't think a wild car will age well and be accepted well at resale time. See Bangles BMW's for example.
  • Thanks to everyone for your input. Yesterday I sat in an S40 without moonroof and found the manual seat to be fine in terms of height adjustment. Then I drove a V40, unfortunately with moonroof, and was favorably impressed. (The sales manager had told me they had a V40 without moonroof on the lot, but when I got there he said it was due in any day now. Truth or fiction?) Fortunately I was "assigned" to a saleswoman who was truthful and reasonably knowledgable. She said there are good incentives because the V50 is on the horizon. Full maintenance including wear and tear (breaks, headlights) now included for 3 years or 36,000 miles. So IF they actually get a V40 in without moonroof so I have adequate headroom, I will pursue it if the price is right. Otherwise it will be an Outback wagon or possibly the new Mazda6 wagon.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    volvomax Jan 9, 2004 2:46pm
    "The Mazda won't offer WHIPS.."

You meant the whiplash-protection front seats? It does. The Mazda3 has minimum 42% parts sharing w/ the new S40/V50, just likely to be much more reliable & thrifty.
    I looked on Edmunds and Mazda's own site, no where is whips, or anything even like it mentioned.
    Edmunds says that the Side airbags and curtain airbags are optional and Traction and Stability control are not offered.
    http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/safety.msnw
    "Height- and shapeoptimised headrests help minimize whiplash in a rear impact, while seatbacks are designed to permit rearward movement of the occupant’s torso."

Sounds like it can crunch the rear passengers' knees, but it should absorb the front passenger's body-momentum energy better than just moving the headrest toward the neck as seen in the Saab. Which one does the S40/V50 use?

"Traction and Stability control are not offered" in the cheap North America at least this year. Even the entire Focus II is cancelled forever here!
  • theflowtheflow Posts: 98
    I totally love the new S40/V40, and the MZ3. But I just bought a new Toyota. Besides kicking myself, what else can I do!!!!!????
  • I need to buy a car for my teenager and drove a 2003 turbo w/ 20,000 miles. Good looking car & i thought excellent handling. Safety is my 1st consideration, but what about reliability & repairs? Have read lots of postings. Is pulling to the left still a problem? Headlamps burning out? And what about used car pricing? They are asking $21,000 which sounds high to me but seems to be the consistent price for leather, CD, nonsensical moon roof, etc. I am buying, not leasing. what is a reasonable price for LA? Appreciate any thoughts.
  • star23star23 Posts: 1
    I am currently looking to buy a new vehicle in the $20K - $30K price range. I am more specifically looking at the Volvo S40 and the Jetta GLS Turbo. The cars seem so similar in so many aspects that I am having difficulty determining which would be the better buy. The Volvo dealership in my area didn't answer any of my questions, either, when I went in, so I feel that I have to do all the research on my own. Resale value of the cars seems similar, with the VW being a little higher, and I know that they are coming out with a new S40 in the spring. Any word on when exactly it will be out and the price range? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  • twilliatwillia Posts: 29
    According to the Volvo Cars web site, the MSRP for the new 2004.5 S40 2.4i will be $24,190 and $26,990 for the S40 T5. The current S40 starts at $24,700 for the base model and $28,845 for the LSE model. With the model changeover, you might be able to get a pretty good deal on the existing S40, but IMHO, the 2004.5 S40 is 100 times better. Not sure of the exact availability date, but I would suspect the March timeframe.

The Volvo Cars web site has a lot of info on the new 2004.5 S40 -> www.volvocars.com

I believe the Volkswagen Jetta is also due for a model changeover when either the 2005 or 2006 models come out.

My sister had a Jetta and had nothing but problems with it. That may not be a common occurrence, but it has soured me on the Volkswagen product line. They make great looking cars, but I have not heard great things about their reliability.

The new S40 is going to be exactly that - new. It is yet to be seen what problems if any it will have.

I'm looking pretty much in the same price range and have the new S40 on my list along with the Acura TSX and Audi A4 1.8T.

Tony
    "I am more specifically looking at the Volvo S40 and the Jetta GLS Turbo. The cars seem so similar in so many aspects that I am having difficulty determining which would be the better buy."

Similar? Wait till the new generation, then the almost-identical control-blade rear suspensions done by the Focus engineers will make them almost like brothers.

Too bad only the "Jetta hatch" (Golf V) is out now, won't be coming to North America till next year when the Jetta V is ready.

I think the new Volvo w/ std 5-cyl is more expensive than the 4-cyl turbo VW, maybe about the same as the VR6 Jetta. Maybe VW is also planning to bring the VR5 engine over here.

Expect worse steering communication from VW's pure-electric than Volvo's "Focus II type" electro-hydraulic assist.

In the mean time, the Mazda version of the new S40 -- the 3 -- is having more road noise than the new Golf V. Expect both the VW & Volvo to ride smoother & quieter than the more reliable & less costly Mazda. So it'd be interesting to find out which, Golf/Jetta V or S40/V50, will be quieter or comfier riding.
  • Does anyone know how to reset the check engine light? I have reset the service light before, but have not found any references to the check engine light reset procedure.

I took my car into the dealership and was told that there was nothing wrong with the car, but a faulty computer that was giving me false positives.

Instead of plunking down the $ for a new computer, I'd like to turn the check engine light off. Any ideas? All advise is welcome.

Thanks.
    Dealers will have demo cars the end of Feb. Meanwhile, Volvo is partnering w/ Virgin Megastores on a ride and drive. There is an event scheduled for the La area. Check the Volvo website for details.
  • My Honda Accord was stolen last week. I need to buy a car. I am considering the Volve S40 but don't know anything about the reliability. I love the car. By the way I found one for 18,999. A 2003 loaded with leather and all the toys with 19000 miles. I should be able to get it for around 17500. Any advise?
    & test drive the car to see if you like the way it rides over bumps.

I personally would avoid the present Mitsubishi Carisma-derived S40 all together. An '02 base BMW 325i sedan would be my favorite used European car. & I'd also avoid the ones made in S Africa.

What year is your Accord? The '98 & newer ones are all pretty decent w/ lots of room on the 4-door.

By the way, if you want the reliability good enough to compete w/ the Accord, why not getting the new Mazda3 w/ black leather & even navigation? It's the noisier cheaper version of the new excellent-steering/handling S40 w/ the same Euro-plaform but everything else Japanese such as engine & factory.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brunoluong/detail?.dir=/Album+02- - - - - - - &.dnm=starlightgreen_front.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brunoluong/detail?.dir=/Album+02- &.dnm=beige_interior.jpg

http://www.mazda3.de/de/upclose/gallery_popup.asp?documentid=2075- - - - &image=small
    None of the US S40's are made in S Africa.
    The 2003 and 2004 models are fine cars.
    Very little the do w/ the Carisma, only about 20% of the parts are interchangeable.
  • I have an S40 and all I will say is that it may be the absolute worst car Ive ever owned. Reliability is aweful, service is terrible, something new breaks basically every week. Stay away.
  • I have a S40 1.9t, I know it has it has a turbocharger, but cannot find the specs for it in the manual. Also, I'm looking for a website that sells volvo (or volvo-certified) turbochargers. I have searched for them, but cannot find anything except for sites that sell the replacement parts for the S40 turbo, but even those dont seem to have the turbocharger for some reason. Can anyone help me out?
  • pryro930, this is easy. Call your Volvo dealer, get the Volvo PN for your exact turbo and if possible ask the parts guy who made it (e.g., air research, garrett, etc.). With the OEM part number in hand call your local turbo/fuel injection house and ask them to change this Volvo number over to the turbo mfg's PN. Then ask them for Price and availability of this turbo from the mfg who actually made it.

No, Virginia, Volvo does not make turbos.
    Mitsubishi make the impeller units.
    Except for the S60 R, which is a KKK unit.
  • Does anyvody know if there will be a big body style change in the new year. I am very impressed with the S40. My stolen Honda was recovered and I think I want to sell it and get a Volvo. Should I wait for the 05's? Thanks for the info.
This discussion has been closed.