Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    if any at all, showed that the new S40 beats all Focus (I & II) & Mazda3 in road noise. Sometimes that's enough to decide which C-1 to get. ;-)
  • calhoncalhon Posts: 87
    "All comparison tests, if any at all, ..."

Now, what is it that you really meant to say? I'm not trying to be a rude - just genuinely confused.
    just too lazy to point out which.

One Brit comparo had the V50 vs Focus II wagon vs Mazda6 wagon, & I remember the new Focus II still got more road noise than the V50.

Mazda3's road noise is suppose to be at least as loud as Focus II's.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,460
    Any news on when the C50 Coupe & Convertible variants will be coming out? Has anybody heard anything on pricing?

I personally can't wait for these cars to come out. A C50 Convertible with AWD and a folding hardtop will be a sweet ride.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Well, there is only one model, it will be called the C70.

It will feature seating for 4 and a retracting hardtop.

We should see the car in the summer of 06.
    Interesting. How misleading, it's based on the same platform as the future C30. Well, most consumers are ignorant, so they'll be willing to pay around $40k for that.

Actually, that's what I was told by a Volvo rep at the L.A. Auto Show a few years ago -- the next C70 convertible is most likely based on the new S40.

Mercedes also denied the fact that the C-class sold here is really a 1.8 C180 Kompressor, which sounds more worthless than the '84 2.3 190E. So the rear deck of the '05 sedan still sez C230.
  • And the point is...?

The XC90 is so much bigger than the S60 but is build on the same P2 platform.

Let's not over exaggerate the real place of the platform (as being the floor plan, or part of the floor plan).
    Well,

The next C70 IS based on the current S40.

Which is also the donor platform for the C30.

In fact a stretched version of the S40's P1 platform(P1+) will underpin the next S60 and probably the next S80 as well.
  • Max,

Is this a done deal that S80 will be based on a stretched C1+ (P1+)?

I am still reading the controversial rumors that it could be an updated P2.

Were you , Volvo guys advised one way or other?
    Interesting!

My understanding was that the P1 platform is the small cars platform and that there would be a new/modified P2 platform for midsize and larger Volvos (S60, V70, S80, etc). The new S80 is rumored to be a little larger than the current model. The new s60 and V70 are also supposed to be a little larger; with the V70 being just a wagon version of the S60 - as opposed to a separate car as it is today.

It seems strange that Volvo would be willing to live within the constraints of the P1 platform for larger cars, such as the S80, with bigger engine/transmission needs, almost certainly including a V8. Remember, the I5 engine had to shrunk to fit the P1 platform. It also took some effort to fit a V8 into the XC90 on the larger P2 platform.

Could it be just a matter of semantics and P1+ is the new P2 platform?
  • It's not quite that. The C1+ (P1+) is a new shared platform for the "mid-sized" cars like Mazda 6, replacement for the Ford Contour, and the new S60/V70 will be one of them.

S80, from what I have read can go two ways - further stretched C1+ or updated current P2.
    Okay, I got you. Volvo will have three additional platforms - C1 (aka P1), C1+, and either C1++ or P2-prime. (My made-up designation on the last one)
    Remember everone that a platform really has no size limitations.
    The P2 platform is a good example.
    The S60 is 180 inches long and weighs 3300 lbs.
    The XC90 is 189 inches long and weighs 4500 lbs.
    Same platform.
    A platform is just a blueprint, its not a carved in stone thing.
    While there are certain "fixed" points ie, the slope of the windshield, suspension hardpoints etc, there is a lot of latitude in a modern platforms design.
    The P1 will spawn a convertible, a small car and larger ones.

Volvo is being very quiet about the new S80.
    Even about what size it actually will be.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,761
    And IIRC, platform also has manufacturing equiment in mind. There are certain grab points for machinery that can't easily be changed.
  • Anyone knows an easy-to-install CD/MP3 Player for 2001 S40?

Thanks!
  • I recently tested the sport package 2.4i. But found it to be stiffer and busier than i like. Steering to be less sporty than i imagine. A bit of a disappointment after testing the mazda3. The dealer suggests me consider the sport package but with 16 inch wheel instead of the 17 inch. (reason for the suggestion is that he is willing to sell the demo w/ the sport package). Has anybody try this combo? Do you think this would work or would it just messes the ride? Thanx.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    I finally got to drive an s40 that was mostly "to my spec." A manual tranny t5 AWD with the gore-tex interior and DSTC.

Volvo had an event here to show of their 4wd. It was a rainy day here in chicago and the track was *very* slick.

I thought the turbo lag was really mitigated on this car as compared to the automatic, which i disliked. With the stick, i thought acceleration was quite good, even starting off. The engine was quiet until i flogged it, whereupon it emitted a nice growl. I drifted the car through two of the corners pretty fast, and i could tell DSTC was working, but it was not too intrusive, and kept the car inline. If it was my bimmer, i probably would have spun it attempting the same maneuver. I really like the gore-tex seats, they seem better to me than the same leather seats.

I later drove an automatic s40, and the lag is not as bad as i seem to recall. Perhaps this was because this car had some miles on it, and had been flogged at the track already?

I also drove the s80 and xc90. Nice interiors, i guess, but not what i want.

Checking the volvo website, it seems i could euro-deliver an s40t5 AWD with select package, xenons, weather(heated seats) and DSTC for 28,415, pretty close to what i paid for my certified pre-owned 3-series. Not too bad. Euro delivery is definitely how i'd go.

I'll still wait until i try out the new a4 and 3-series, and i really do want a real eco-car, but i am now strongly considering the s40 again, before it was almost off my list.

dave
    You sure the Euro delivery allows you to avoid the premium package so you can keep the T-tech fabric?

"I later drove an automatic s40, and the lag is not as bad as i seem to recall. Perhaps this was because this car had some miles on it, and had been flogged at the track already?"

The slush box's torque-converter slip actually shortens the turbo lag by letting the engine rev sooner from standing still.

"I drifted the car through two of the corners pretty fast, and i could tell DSTC was working, but it was not too intrusive, and kept the car inline. If it was my bimmer, i probably would have spun it attempting the same maneuver."

So your Beemer's DSC allows too much slipperage?

The S40's DSTC originally from the Focus is wonderful, as it only helps & doesn't intrude into your aggressive cornering in the wet.

By the way, yesterday I just spun out a soft-suspension base RX-8 auto w/o DSC during a test drive in the rain. I did correct it but the salesman & my buddy thought we had to use the head curtain airbags this time. ;-) Then the 2nd RX-8 w/ 6-sp & DSC cornered hard in the wet just fine, but the ride was firm.

How was the ride of the AWD S40 over bumps? I never had a chance to sample one in S Cal. The ride of the 2WD S40 w/ sport-suspension sucks either w/ 16"s or 17"s. The other 2WD suspension uses up the front spring travel a little too easily over the deep ones.
    "I recently tested the sport package 2.4i. But found it to be stiffer and busier than i like. Steering to be less sporty than i imagine. A bit of a disappointment after testing the mazda3. The dealer suggests me consider the sport package but with 16 inch wheel instead of the 17 inch. (reason for the suggestion is that he is willing to sell the demo w/ the sport package). Has anybody try this combo? Do you think this would work or would it just messes the ride? Thanx."

That was my very first test drive over bumps -- 16"s w/ & w/o sport suspension.

17"s should make the short abrupt bumps more obvious, but it's the sport suspension that won't yield over any kind of bumps, including the larger ones.

Take my advice, go for the 16"s, either w/ non-sport suspension or the AWD model's set up, which has the sport-suspension shocks/sway-bars but longer-springs.

Or take my other advice, get the base RX-8 automatic w/ 16"s that rides like a premium sedan while its electric-assisted steering is actually more confident inspiring than the hydraulic-steering of the '05 American Focus, which beats Mazda3's, which beats S40's. This comfy base RX-8 already out corners just about anything else! This isn't a crazy comparison, as the ride, rear leg room, reliability rating & price of this 4-dr Japanese car isn't far off from the S40 w/ base suspension! The main difference b/t them is that one allows the driver to sit very high w/ a comfortable high door armrest & the other one...
    "And the point is...?"

The next C70 is really an S40 convertible, but then this P1/C1 platform has German-design suspension & steering better than P2's anyway.

What I find funny is that auto manufacturers mislead people by the way their cars are named. My doctor buddy thought an SLK is a great deal 'cause it's an "S-class". Wait till he sees the sticker shock of the "C-class" CL. So I told him to try the base RX-8 auto, which out rides/handles any Benz.

W/in the Ford empire, the next Mondeo will be a stretched C1/P1 Focus platform w/ Control Blade rear suspension. So this could be the same one for the future larger Volvo's. The current Mazda6 platform, which will also be used in the future mid-size Lincoln/Mercury, is pretty similar to the current Mondeo's.
  • "You sure the Euro delivery allows you to avoid the premium package so you can keep the T-tech fabric?"

He can because Select or Premium is required. He mentioned the Select package so he is the clear. In fact, that is how I ordered mine with the select. I already have received it and I am loving it.

As far the ride, it is very subjective to the driver. I have the T5 AWD, and the ride is not harsh at all to me. In fact, it is very comfortable. The car has the Sculptur, 17 " rims, and since it's AWD, it has the dynamic suspension. I guess it is all based on one own's experience, so let's all take each other's opinions with a grain a salt, and the true measure is yourself and your butt.
    "The S40's DSTC originally from the Focus ..."

Interesting! What were the advantages of that approach?

STC (traction control) and DSTC consist mostly of firmware/software that's implemented in the brake control module (BCM). According to the S40 technical documents, the S40's BCM is a Mark 60, similar to the Mark 25 system used on P2 Volvos, but adapted for smaller cars.

STC is standard on the S40 as it is on other Volvos. (Does the Focus offer traction control as a standalone feature?) Optional DSTC adds yaw control and EBA to STC, just like other Volvos. It seems to me that S40's STC/DSTC implementation is very similar to other Volvo's.

Wouldn't it have been easier to start with the STC and DSTC programs written for other Volvos, rather than adapting a stability control program from a car with an entirely different BCM?
    stated that Ford was in charge of the dynamic know how including the suspension & steering design, while Mazda & Volvo did the other areas.

Some Focus, such as the American SVT & ST are equipped w/ traction control only. While some other American Focus prior to '04 were available w/ the full stability control AdvanceTrak.

Back in Europe around the year 2000, the Focus w/ the full stability control ESP was being praised by magazines for being un-intrusive while still takes good care of you when you need it. I can see why the programing can be so liberal, 'cause that suspension set up is already very predictable at the limit.

Then someone from France posted on Edmund that the Mazda3's DSC felt the same way.

The only stability-control equipped C1/P1 car I've experienced was the S40, both 2.4i & T5, during that Volvo invitation test drive in the rain. & it felt great while drifting neutrally. It did seem every bit as good as what I heard about the Focus-tuned program. That's all I can say.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    "You sure the Euro delivery allows you to avoid the premium package so you can keep the T-tech fabric? "

Yes.

"The slush box's torque-converter slip actually shortens the turbo lag by letting the engine rev sooner from standing still."

No. When driving stick you can rev the engine a little and ease into gear. When an automatic helps is maintaining boost between shifts under hard acceleration. I even spoke to the skip barber racing instructor about how nicely the stick mitigated the lag, and he agreed.

I really think all of us have heard enough about the focus. If we wanted one, we'd get one.

dave
    So, what you stated earlier, and quite boldly, as fact is mere conjecture?
  • I site with you, calhon, the STC has been on Volvo for ages, and DSTC has been developed for the 1999 Volvo S80, years before Volvo has merged with Ford.
    I have read a good article about the roots of the modern active safety technology of Volvo, but could not find a link right away. I will keep looking and will post it later.
  • http://www.autoworld.com/news/volvo/evolution.htm

and now they are at mark 60. But it is all from the same source.
  • Thanx for the advice but i don't think the RX-8 is an option given i am looking for a compact family car. But will certainly re-evaluate the 16 inch non-sport option.
  • I'm looking at buying an S40 and I was wondering if the moonroof was a slide or a tilt one... I've tried looking on-line, but haven't been able to find my answer. Thanks.
    Both:
    http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2005/2005_S40/05s40_03b.htm#p- - - - g59 (Scroll to page 59.)

For future reference, Volvo owner's manuals and other documentation are available online at:
    http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/Owners/Library.htm