Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    is even more cramped than the TSX, both the leg & especially the headroom. The T-5 premium's raise-able power front passenger seat alleviates some of the rear leg-room tightness on the right side.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    I sat in both cars, didn't find much difference between the TSX and the S40. Also, according to the stats the rear seats in both cars are virtually identical.
    the S40 is just like the Mazda3 sedan -- too little.

the TSX is just like the Mazda3 hatch -- too much.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    For what it's worth I have a 2004 Accord EX-L with 14,500 miles on it and the car has been flawless (knock on wood). There is enough room for my 6'6 husband to have the passenger seat all the way back and slightly reclined even though we have a huge rear-facing car seat behind the passenger seat. No mechanical problems (again knock on wood), 30+ MPG, and I love the XM radio.

The S40 is nice BUT it's a first year Ford/Volvo which could result in serious first year bugs. There were alot of problems with the 2000 S40 but Volvo seems to have corrected most of them by now.
    The new S40 is derived originally from the most reliable car sold in Germany -- the made-in-Germany Focus.

It's built in Belgium like the S60, which had higher reliability rating than any other European car sold in America, according to the April '03 Consumer Reports.

There's no doubt that the Honda Accord, especially the Japanese-assembled 4-cyl models, should be more reliable than the new S40 but not necessarily more than the German-built old Focus, which we can't get.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    I am scared of any car associated with the Focus. The US Focus was a nightmare, and from what I have seen on here the same can be said for the 2000 S40.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    i wouldn't be worried about the S40. it isn't really related to the old Focus at all. and outside of NA, the old Focus was the car to beat. only when it was introduced and built here in the U.S. did the recalls start...as usual. in truth, the OLD Focus, in NA, is now quite sturdy.

the new S40, to me, is the next step up from the stylish but small Jetta. same sporty and upscale feeling with class-leading safety and looks, for a really good price.
  • dhmcdhmc Posts: 6
    Volvo used to be one of the safest car, but after reading the following report I think Volvo has a lot to catch up.

http://www.aaa.asn.au/NCAP/ozindex.htm

What a surprise!
    SAAB 9-3/9-5 5 Stars
    Subaru Liberty(Legacy) 5 Stars
    Volvo S40/60/80 4 Stars
    that is one test. so hard to tell what they mean. in the U.S., the S80 has been given, year after year, the highest scores ever for a sedan, at any price.

i wouldn't let one test let me think that Volvo is not safe.
  • dhmcdhmc Posts: 6
    Don't get me wrong. I still think Volvo is a safe car, but I'm surprised that SAAB and Subaru get a better rating. There is more information regarding the test in the following link and let you decide if this is a good test:
    http://www.subaru.com.au/news/?newsid=11969
  • josh684josh684 Posts: 55
    Anyone know what kind of fuel is reccomended for the new S40, is it 91 Octane?
    i know those tests aren't 100% relevant at all times, because in the U.S. the Jetta/Golf/New Beetle all scored as high as possible in previous U.S. tests that are similiar, yet they aren't mentioned...what is up with that? their designs didn't change for 04.

not saying that Volvo IS the safest car, just saying that one test (especially that specific test) where the Volvo didn't come out well doesn't mean it isn't safe. :)
    the overall safety rating is the combination of accident avoidance performance & crash test results. The Lexus IS & Audi A4 score high, while the BMW 3-series is ranked just behind due to the 2nd-best crash results. & the Volvo S60, despite high crash-test rating, is further behind due to the so-so accident avoidance maneuver. By the way, the 3-series, when not equipped w/ DSC in '99, didn't even score well avoiding accidents due to the not-so-easy-to-control fishtail!

But don't worry, the NEW S40 crashes just as well as the S80 while handles like the best German car even w/o the optional DSC stability control. But what really makes it even safer is its ability to PREVENT accidents to begin with due to the tall Swedes' decision to locate this door armrest so high(much higher than S60's) to allows your inexperienced (teenager)driver bracing the elbow on it while holding on to the 9-o'clock steering rim/spoke & operating the turn signal w/ head looking over the right shoulder all at the same time w/o affecting the steadiness of the steering!

My stupid '86 Volvo 760 Turbo(as if the Swedish climate slows down their people's brain function & took them so long to figure this out) has a low door armrest while the turn signal & the steering spoke are at the 10-o'clock position. So since my left hand was usually at the 8-o'clock position, I frequently skipped signaling while making lane changes that inevitably need to be done immediately.
    “"I am scared of any car associated with the Focus. The US Focus was a nightmare, and from what I have seen on here the same can be said for the 2000 S40."

i wouldn't be worried about the S40. it isn't really related to the old Focus at all.”

If the car is 100% related to the old Focus, than it should be even more reliable than any Japanese car. & I'm talking about the original bona-fide old Focus built in Germany, not the American copy/imposter.

It’s been many years in Germany that only Japanese took the reliability championship each year, but the good o’Focus changed it!
  • What would be a good price to haggle down to on an extended warranty for a 2000 S40? It has been taken care of, and has about 40,000 miles on it...also, with the new S40 coming out, how low can one expect to get the dealer if there is some leeway in buying out my lease?
  • I have fallen pretty hard for the T5.
    There are no Edmunds partners in my area (Birmingham, AL) and I've been corresponding with dealerships in Atlanta who not only say no discounts, but that these cars are flying off their lots at premium prices. Perhaps my expectations of getting at least a 10% discount from MSRP are unrealistic. Any suggestions for someone who wants this car and needs a dealership who will actually deal? Is the OSD perhaps a better way to go?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    A 10% discount is very unrealistic, there isn't that much margin in the whole car.
    Edmunds neglected to post the invoice price for the Premium pkg for the T5, so thier numbers are off by almost $1900.
    Other sites(who I can't name) have it right and their pricing guidelines are more realistic.
    Hopefully, someone is paying attention and will rectify this.
    Ultimately, it is the market that will set the price, right now its MSRP or close to it. Later the price will drop.
    OSD will be available in August for the S40.
    Savings off MSRP will be somewhere in the 8-10% range. This is ONLY thru OSD, and only because the importer Volvo Cars North America is not part of this sales process.
    If the T5 is too costly for you I suggest the 2.4i.
    Otherwise if you can wait 6 months or so for your car than OSD is an option.
  • Please also consider that even when S40 will be available for OSD it might not be discounted right away, if sales through the dealers will be good.
    The XC90 was available for OSD in April of 2003, but was discounted only in November.
  • Thanks to both volvomax and lev for for the information. I suppose I am used to dealers jacking the prices then offering discounts. So if I understand you correctly the "Build and Price" price at the volvo site is what I should expect to pay unless I wait for OSD offering. I sure wish I knew of the "other sites" you can't mention. My e-mail address is posted in profile if you are able to send it to me privately. Thanks again!
  • Maybe yes, maybe no.
    It all depends on how strong the demand would be for the new model.
    In case of XC90 the OSD discount came first, back in November the XC90 was sold pretty much at MSRP, at least in LA area, where I was shopping.

I also have learned from one friend of mine, former Volvo dealership finance manager, that Volvo cars of NA took a formidable position "advising" dealers against of selling cars over the MSRP. He was complaining about the fact that even the market can bear 10K price mark-up, he can not do that.(I can not guarantee the accuracy, though, however, I have not seen any marked-up XC90 at that dealership either, while I've seen people buying 5-6K "special trim" packages without even blinking, so that seems to be reasonable.)
    The cars were in a short supply back then, and dealers were told, that if they will jack up a price, they would be put on a very bottom of the delivery list, which effectively will kill their sales.

So at the same time when Pilot was sold mega$$$ over the MSRP for the standard configurations, XC90 was sold at MSRP + any dealer installed gadgets they could come up with.

It made my loyalty to Volvo even stronger.