Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• Do not count on it with Volvo. Under the normal conditions the Haldex AWD is mostly FWD (which is a good thing IMHO).

I strongly believe that with the exception of the street racing FWD is much more practical and safe for the "normal" sedan.
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    Nokia spun off its rubber products division ages ago, at one time they even made rubber pac boots, good for Finnish winters --1980s? maybe. Now Nokian tires is spinning off its non automotive products, bicycle tires, etc.. I just hope hope they'll be offering tires in the size I need by next winter.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Yes, i know the s40 is haldex, which is quite unfortunate to me. I personally think FWD as wrong-wheel-drive. Even when you're not street racing, FWD intrudes in a lot of areas of the driving experience, IMHO. I quite like the s40 otherwise, though, so it's still on my list.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    How similar are these vehicles? I know that they are based on the same "platform" (whatever that really means).
  • What it means is that the sheet metal parts for the floor, some of the body and attachment points for the suspension are the same.

Mazda and S40 have different suspension, engine, transmission, active and passive safety devices, seats, interior, exterior body panels, lights, etc. (if that is not enough).

S40 also have some additional reinforcement even in the part of the body which is common for all three (Mazda 3, Volvo S40 and new Ford Focus) vehicles.

Mazda is sportier, while S40 is much safer and much more refined.
    Thanks for the information. That helps, I was wondering if there were more than cosmetic differences. I did know about the obvious differences, like the engines.

Safety is definitely an issue for us, particularly since these cars are toward the smaller end of the spectrum.
  • Good stuff. I'm still trying to decide between Mazda3s and S40.
  • tranmitranmi Posts: 12
    Why are you still thinking ??? For the money, get the Mazda3 (S40 2.4i is noisy and slow) but for the power go with the S40 T5. I got my 05 S40 T5 last July and still happy with it.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    S40 lets you choose, but charges more for the sport suspension.

If you like to be pampered for under $20k, then take a newspaper-special S40 stick w/ no option & enjoy the comfort of the slow-movement ride & the chair-high driving position (especially the door-armrest height) w/ good thigh support.
  • Since 2000 I have owned IS300, BMW 330xi, & "04 Acura TL[270 hp]. No way is 2.4 'slow'!

That being said, I did enjoy the added punch that is provided by the T5 turbo. I'm more than a little bit concerned by the turbo lag when driving in heavy traffic. Will I get used to it & be able to adjust???? Any replies from T5 guys will be appreciated. Bill from NJ
    CR found it torquy low down, unlike the smooth-revving TSX 2.4.

But this 5-cyl is just so noisy to rev, worse than the Mazda 4-cyl 2.3. So in order to keep the engine from being too loud, you can't "zoom zoom" your way out quickly.

But Mazda3's sound insulation, especially road noise, isn't great. So as long as you're just cruising, the S40 2.4i is still quieter than any Mazda3 or Focus (I & II).
    Are they really selling the S40 for under $20K?

If we wanted one of these, it would be an automatic...which would add maybe $1000. Also might want the stability control (DSTC) for another $500 or so. I thought we would be looking at about $23,000 with those two options added and considering the $1500 "marketing support" incentive to dealer. Am I estimating too high?

We'd probably not like the sport suspension...
    Mazda3 auto only got 4 gears, so you might as well get the S40's 5-sp auto. & the excellent legendary Focus stability program isn't even available for the N.A. Mazda3 while the S40 has it (DSTC).

I kept seeing $19,995 ad price in S California for the new S40 5-sp manual. You might have to order a base model w/ the DSTC.
    "I'm more than a little bit concerned by the turbo lag when driving in heavy traffic. Will I get used to it & be able to adjust????"

I thought the turbo lag with the automatic was really really bad. But, i used to have a saab, which may have had even more lag, and i did eventually acclimate.

I'm a bit sour on turbos. It seems that manufacturers have been getting similar economy and power out of NA engines.
  • I did a lot of research and came up with Nokians to put on my S60. They are the only tires in the US which are all season AND rated as snow tires. I live on a steep hill so I need to overcome unplowed and icey slopes (not quite a black diamond but close!) and the Nokians are ace.

The reason I am on this S40 thread is that I am interested in getting an S40 owing the pressure I am under from my kid (at college). I think he wants to drive it to work in the summer! It looks a great car and I might add it to the S60 we have ..... developing story...
    "I thought the turbo lag with the automatic was really really bad."

See:

creakid1, "Volvo S40" #1028, 26 Dec 2004 2:15 pm
    We've all read it before, and been asked not to rehash it. ;)
  • I've done several searches, but can't find any information on expected life of the Volvo designed turbo charger. When you consider the cost when this unit fails, it's something to think about. I'm trying to make a decision on either the BMW 325ix, Mercedes C230 4matic or the Volvo S40T5 AWD. The Volvo is definitely cheaper at the $36K I want it configured, but I have to think about other things too. I drive a lot so if I can expect the have problems with the turbo at 80K miles or so, it's a big minus for the Volvo and adds some weight to a decision to spend a bit more for the Mercedes or the BMW. Another consideration is that I can't find any information on how Volvo's AWD systems compares to BWM or Mercedes, so any help there would also be appreciated. I've also seen rumors of a convertible version of the S40 being available this summer, but can't confirm it.

THANKS!
    "I drive a lot so if I can expect the have problems with the turbo at 80K miles or so,"

Volvo's turbo charger finally switched to water-cooled since late '80's. Even if you don't cool it down before shutting the engine off, the temperature still peaks at below the normal operating temperature of the older primitive air-cooled turbo charger. So the turbo's longevity should not be a problem. Volvo's resale value might, though.

The S40's AWD set up is a FWD w/ RWD added as a back up when needed. The BMW AWD is primarily rear bias to begin with, then adjusts accordingly. So if power-oversteer fun is what you want, then forget about the Volvo & take the new $50k Acura RL w/ std AWD & SH (Super Handling) differential from the Prelude.
  • RL is FWD biased too, so ????

From what I have read SH behaives pretty much the same as the combination of Haldex AWD + DSTC on 60R.