Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• jessreds40jessreds40 Posts: 21
    To my surprise! I just realized that my climage package included front light washers! I was utterly amazed they pop out of the bumber and sray the lights. Call me a kid today- I was clapping.. I'm still laughing with the ladies at work about them! :P
  • blumsteinblumstein Posts: 38
    I bought an 07 Mercury Milan V6 Premium in March and an 07 S40 in July. I am the primary driver on the Milan and my wife is the primary on the S40. The sales prices was the same. The Milan is a mid-size & the S40 a compact. We both have good driving records. The S40 was $136 more per yr ($606 vs $740) in an L.A. suburb with full coverage. I have no idea why the S40 is higher.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Doubtless because the Volvo would be more expensive to repair. The component costs are greater on a Volvo than on a Mercury.
  • makigrlmakigrl Posts: 19
    Where would you say the reliability level of a vovlo s40 is compared to audi/mercedes/bmw or cars like the lexus IS 250 or acura tsx? You would buy the bmw for driving excitement. The audi for quattro awd and VW built cars are high quality cars that are built well. The Mercdes for the nameplate and being the most luxurious . I wouldn't trust too much for any of the German cars such as audi/mercedes/bmw for being very reliable. The Japanese cars would be higher in reliability. If you were looking for a European car how reliable would an s40 be?
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    My 15 months experince with a Volvo s40 has been very good. I've had a couple of QC complaints but they were handled promptly and I'm satisfied. It appears the shop costs will be high if I end up paying after warantee but that's the case with all these cars. So the quality of local dealer support might be a little more important here.
    If you want real reliability long term you'll almost have to stick with regular Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, and perhaps Nissans...
    IMHO,
    Charlie
  • litbitlitbit Posts: 1
    The main changes are that Volvo have added to the 2008 S40 is 17" Spartacus Alloys to the premium package. The audio package is now the Dynaudio package with a beefed up stereo system with top of the line Dynaudio speakers. Also the Bi Xenon headlights are now the active versions which follow the curvature of the road when you're driving giving an even better visibility at night. I ordered the S40 T5 since I'm currenty overseas. :)
  • I have a S40 2.4i NOT sport Package/suspension and I still feel the suspension too uncomfortable in highways because of continuous jumping. I checked Michelin MXV4 tires pressure and are the same the manufacturer recommended, but I still feel not real nice. Could I change shock absorbers or any idea to improved the comfortable behavior? or is the car short length that make this kind of suspension feel? I do not matter to sacrificed performance, I am not a sport driver.
  • I, too, have a problem with the harsh ride in my '06 S40, 2.4i non-turbo, 5 spd. manual. Have to blame myself, tho. When I test drove the car I was so enthralled by everything else that I only drove it around the block a couple of times. Also, another peeve is that when I drive with the windows down, a terrific blast of air comes through at any speed above 20. I bought some of those plastic louvers that go over the top of the windows which seems to help a little. Other than the above I have no real complaints after 76K miles. Had to replace the catalytic converter at 53K (under extended warranty) but that's it.

On the ride issue, the dealer has no suggestions. Apparently there are no other struts available from Volvo. IPD says they sell a softer one but haven't tried it. Don't know what your mileage is but mine seems to ride a little softer after 76K. I'll try a tire geared more towards comfort when it's time to replace; but that won't be for another 20K or so. The wheelbase of 104.3" is about average for this group of cars. Oh, my old desk foam seat cushion also helps! Good luck.
  • Has anyone hooked up an iphone to the S40 with the bluetooth accessory?
  • Will never buy another Volvo. I had to replace the ignition switch on my 05 S40 for the second time in 2 years. While still under warranty, I have lost faith in this car. Too bad, I really enjoyed its style & handling.
  • We have the 07 S4 which uses a Bosch switch: the same one (I believe) that is on a Mercedes. Does the 05 also use this switch?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,702
    wow. really? an ignition switch has turned you off a brand completely? May I suggest avoiding .... well, just about every manufacturer I can think of because they have all had much larger issues reported. I don't mean to make light of your situation or the annoyance you've endured, but having an ignition switch replaced twice at no cost to you is not something I'd personally chalk up to big problems. I mean, there are thousands of people that have transmission or engine failures and still remain loyal to that brand because they understand it isn't exactly a common occurence.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Rob,
    We call those people trolls or whiners...
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, we skip posts that don't interest us and we avoid name-calling altogether. :)
    nah. not a troll. The poster has been a member of Edmunds for many years and contributes regularly. I'm really not trying to dismiss the poster's complaints. Just trying to prepare them for ALOT of disappointment when it comes to vehicles from any manufacturer.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,043
    Question - do have many other keys or danglies attached to the key ring? Today's ignitions are sensitive about the weight they are designed to hold.
  • Trolls or whiners?
    Being stranded is a big deal.
    you replied to the wrong person. I never called you such things.

• My apologies, and I do not have anything attached to the key
  • it just seems like a lot of $$. An S40 with auto trans, leather, and the non-turbo engine (168 hp) comes out in the $30K ballpark. I can get a 2008 Accord with leather, auto trans, 268 hp engine - for $29K. I'm not dissing the Volvo brand; I just want to know what makes a mildly-powered S40 a better prospect than a high-powered Accord. Your input & expertise are solicited.
    You must be adding much more than that. I just equipped one at carsdirect (2008 model) with auto trans and leather and it comes to $27,560 MSRP or $25,441 their price.

But, regardless, it is a matter of what you prefer. I myself picked the Accord last year. To be perfectly honest, I regret my decision. I don't know how I would feel about the S40, but I do know that I liked my S70 a great deal more than the Accord.

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    First off, and I'm sure you already know this, you can't really compare the S40 to an Accord. Sure, based on price, there's a lot of vehicles to choose from at around $30k or so, even trucks. You could get a fully loaded Sonata for under $30k too. Why choose one vehicle over another? Because you like/prefer it better. Whether that choice is because of price or content or the whole ownership experience is going to be different to everyone.

The S40 more closely compares to a Civic - at least in size. And both the S40 and S60 aren't selling at MSRP, even the '08's are selling below invoice.

I never considered the S40 either, but the deals in August got my attention. $8k off of sticker helps, at least on my S40 T5 AT.

-Brian
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    I agree. Personal preference is the key. Practically speaking...save $10,000 and purchase a Fit or Yaris (preferably used.)
    Balancing emotional, practical, and financial requirements accounts for that great range of 4 wheeled contraptions in the market place.
    What do you REALLY want ? How much comfort can you live without (or with )? What can you spend on more than simple transportation ? How important are air filtration, Blue tooth, or even self parking ? Firm ride or plush...
    At different stages in my life I've purchased a clunker, a rocket, and both Accord and Volvo. They each fitted my "package" at the time.
    I currently find my 2006 Volvo S40 T5 to be a great ride. It's solid, comfortable and has great milage on the highway cycle where I spend most of its miles. I'm sure I could find great things to say about the new Accord. It really looks neat and it is a Honda ! They do drive differently and I'd urge you to drive both.
    Good luck.
  • for a considered response. I will concede this: there's something about the thickness of the metal and the quality of the paintwork on the Volvo that's 'a cut above.' This is a very unscientific observation, I'll admit. It does seem that the all the European cars (Volvo, Audi, VW, MB) still look sharp after 7 or 8 years - while the Japanese product seems to show its age.
  • I only have a key to open and lock my 2001 S40.

Sometimes it locks, other times it doesn't.

Any advice ??

T
    so you mean you don't have a remote? you stick the key in the door and what happens? your turn it and get no response?

• I'm considering buying a 2006 Volvo S40 T5 FWD. I test drove it last night and one thing I noticed is the tires squeal with full acceleration from a stop. I had also test drove the AWD previously and didn't notice this being a problem.

Is this just an issue you have to be careful of with the FWD Turbos or should I be concerned about this being a problem with this specific car? It was easy enough to resolve by just accelerating more evenly from a stop, but wanted to check with others to see if they have noticed this.
    Yes, it is a good amount of power flowing through the wheels. It is the same with any car with enough power, regardless of FWD or RWD or turbo or not.

AWD provides better traction given all wheels are turning, so that is why it wasn't a problem with that car.

Yes, you can just go a bit easier on initial throttle application to avoid spinning the tires. Alternatively, you could buy stickier rubber.

• Thanks for the response, that makes sense. So right now I'm torn between getting a Saab 9-3 and a Volvo S40. They are basically priced the same and have the same set of features and performance. Any arguments to go one way or the other? I'm leaning towards Volvo because it seems to have better reliability and safety features than the Saab, but Saab seems to have good safety as well. Thanks.
    i've never heard good things about saab reliability. And, while the volvo resale isn't very good, saab is even worse.

This discussion has been closed.