Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,853
    I concur - one of the greatest values out there is a 2 YO Saab.
  • I have 28000 miles on my 06 T5 AWD and I like it more every day...milage is great cruising (29-32)and it seems to be 'smoother" now than when it was new.. :D
  • Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased the 2006 Volvo S40 T5 FWD. I was a little nervous about the squealing noise when going around corners, but it looked like it was due to low tire pressure. So now that I'm a proud owner of an S40, I have a few questions.

1. What gas should I use? The manual says 91 so I'm wondering if I really need to use that level or if 89 would be ok. I think I read some posts awhile back discussing it, but there are a lot of pages to look through now. :-)

2. There is a plastic clip on the driver side window. In reading through the manual, it mentions this being a ticket holder or something like that. Can this be removed? This was a European delivery car so it may be something that is more standard on the European cars (I didn't notice it on the 2007 Volvo S40s).

3. Any other tips and tricks on owning an S40 or configuring it?

Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,424
    congrats! enjoy it!

As for the plastic clip, I had one on my S70. It is, as it states, just for holding something there. Like maybe a parking stub. I never had the desire to remove it, but I think it may be more trouble than its worth. I don't know if the a-pillar trim is holding it on? or it could even be the windshield seal. I would say, if it really bothers you, pull the a pillar trim and see what you can see. You could always cut it off, I suppose.

As for gas, any non-high-performance vehicle can run regular gas, but at the cost of horsepower and possibly mileage, but it won't damage the vehicle. So you may want to experiment. Try a few tanks of premium, then a few tanks of regular, while recording your mileage. Of course, you are also in the break-in period, so the mileage will naturally increase as the miles pile on, so keep that in mind.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• > There is a plastic clip on the driver side window. In reading through the manual, it mentions this being a ticket holder or something like that. Can this be removed? This was a European delivery car so it may be something that is more standard on the European cars (I didn't notice it on the 2007 Volvo S40s).

We have a 2007. The manual says that we have one but we don't. It must have been dropped sometime after the manual went to bed.

Yes, it is to hold parking garage receipts while parked. Some garages require that the receipt be visible on the dash.

Paul
  • One other question, what service should I have done at the dealer versus just at a regular mechanic? For example, I'd like to get the tires rotated and I'm wondering if I can just take it to a local shop (there's a Walmart next to my work) or if I should get these things done at the dealer (which is a lot farther away).
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    My '07 T5 FWD has that clip and it is in use right now with a parking garage ticket.

-Brian
  • In the owner's manual it should say that you can use as low as 87 octane without damaging the motor. Beware that when you use lower than 91 octane, keep the RPM down, the turbo runs better with higher octane. If you want to race around town the turbo needs higher octane otherwise keep the accelleration down and you can use the lower octane. If you use regular unleaded and race around town then expect to have turbo problems. I've bought a 2004 S40 about six months ago and I run 89 octane but I keep the RPM down especially when taking off from a dead stop.
  • According to my car's computer, I need to replace the cam position sensor. Where is it? Better yet, can I find usable pictures of the device's location on my car. I've seen lots of pictures of the sensor detached from the car. Where is it on the engine. Any other advice regarding this problem?
  • Most local gas stations carry 87, 89, and 93 octane. 91 is recommended. Save by mixing 89 and 93 to give you 91. I do it and get great milage and performance. Highway as much as 31 mpg and town...17...stay on the highway !
    Have your dealer replace the cabin air filter...it's a monster and well worth dealer labor. The oil filter requires a couple of special tools that are really necessary. You get at the filter from the top after removing part of the air intake.
    I've grown to love my S40. Enjoy,
    Charlie :)
  • Thanks for the responses. I'm currently running 91 octane for a couple of tanks to see what I average for gas mileage. I'll then bump it down to 89 and test that out. I do mostly highway driving, but still have a little bit of city driving. My first tank got 28.5 mpg, but I imagine it's a bit lower because I was showing off my new sporty car to a few friends and was accelerating a little more than I usually do. :-)
  • I have almost exclusively used 93 octane since buying the car slightly used back in 2001. I also keep a small notebook in the glove box that I religiously track my mileage every time I fill up. I have a small chart that I jot down the date, miles, gallons input, and then total MPG. It's just a habit now. :-)

I live in a large city but use the highways pretty extensively. I got this practice from my father who told me that your mileage can give you a quick indicator of any problems with your engine (clogged filters, etc).

I tend to get 20-22mpg on city and when I take long trips, it averages out to around 27mpg. I've had it go as low as 16mpg and that usually is a red flag. It's fairly close to what was advertised for my model, maybe slightly less. It seems like I remember 22/city and 28/highway or something like that.

Hope this helps! :-)
  • The cam position sensor should be located under your timing belt cover. As you face the engine the timing belt cover is on the left side of the motor. You have an overhead cam motor and it is monitoring the revolutions of the cam. If you have never done any work on timing gears or head removals, you might want to get help with replacing the sensor.

Good luck! :shades:
  • I have a 2005 Volvo S40 with 20,000 miles. In October the ignition switch had to be replaced when the car wouldn't start during a trip. In December I had a 10,000 mile checkup. On Christmas day after driving less than 10 miles the car sat for about 3 hours outdoors. The car would not start ... the lights on the dash came on but the car would not start. After about 10-15 minutes & 10-20 attempts the car started up. This happened several times intermittently over the next week until the dealer was able to take the car. The dealer had the car for two days & the car started successfully every time. I drove the car for 8 days & again had the same problem after the car sat for the day outdoors. Normally the car is garaged during the night.

No messages show up when the car won't start - the dealer found no computer messages or error messages. The dealer says the only way they can trouble shoot this is for the problem to happen while they have the car.

Any ideas on what the problem could be or what I can have the dealer look at?
  • The dealer is right they cant troubleshoot the car unless it happens while at the dealership, you said you just had your ignition replaced? And it still has the same problem? Sounds like its not your ignition if its still happening. Sounds like theres something wrong with the wiring or it could be many different things. Only way to be sure is to have the dealer troubleshoot properly (not a parts thrower) and hopefully they can catch it while it wont start. So next time it happens have it towed to the dealer and they can have it in their hands while its not starting. good luck.
  • I have a 2000 S40 and have recently been having brake/tail light problems. I've only had the car for a year and I've already had to replace the brake lights (on both sides) twice. Right now the lightbulb indicator light is on and only comes on when I turn the front headlights on and press the brakes. I went out and checked out the brake lights and figured out that the light on the right side was out, but when I went and replaced that bulb, the tail light then went out and the brake light never came on even though the bulb was replaced with a fresh bulb. The turn signal on that same side still works though...which is weird. I checked the fusebox for the back lights and they are all fine. Can anyone help??
    You lost me right here:
    the tail light then went out and the brake light never came on even though the bulb was replaced with a fresh bulb

So you mean the taillight was working, but not the brake light ... you replaced the bulb and now neither works? Is that correct?

This is an 8-year-old car, so I would take the bulb back out and clean up the socket as best I can with a small brush and/or sandpaper. Make sure the connectors on the bottom are in good working order. You can test with a test light to make sure everything is working as it should (although you'll need someone to step on the brake to test that connection). You can at least determine if you've got power coming into the socket so you can rule out any wiring issue.

• Hi guys,

I just read wikipedia claiming that s40 is scheduled to be discontinued this year. Is it true? I was going to buy one, and now this is a bit bothering me. Does anyone know anything about it?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    S40 goes away in a year and a half when the new S60 is introduced.
    However, S40 production will be cut way back. So, if you want one now is the best time.
  • bonsbons Posts: 45
    That would be a surprise if Volvo discontinues their #1 selling model.
    S40, C30, V50, and C70 all shared the same platform and interior design
    Half of Volvo lineup is based on S40 platform.
    To me that's not a sign of a discontinue model.

What I understand is that the new S40 will be a replacement for the S60.
    Its all a question of naming, however.
    The "new S40" could be called an S60. It could be based on the S40/C30/V50/C70 platform but volvo just decides to name it the S60 and drop the S40 name. Just a possibility.

• nowiseenowisee Posts: 2
    I rear-ended someone a few weeks ago and my front bumper and hood and lights are crushed and the autobody place wants 5k$ to fix it. It's a 2001 S40 with 115K on it. Maybe I should buy the parts and do it myself. Where can I get them? Or where can I sell my schmooshed S40, which I love.
  • I do auto body repair. No one can really give you a good answer without looking at it carefully. Depending on several things,like whether the new parts are on hand,how much structural damage it suffered,how well the paint work goes,and most importantly the repair people.Last time I repair a Volvo 240 and I purchased a Volvo 240 Grill (out-of-production) on some online store because it is the fastest way to find one.. Without insurance you are surely trying to save money so please understand that the better paying jobs come first. As I said you want to save your money you can search online store for your parts...I hope this details helps you.

http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?VolvoRepairManual/700_5_1.htm
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/
    www.parts.com
    Well, the S40 is going away.
    It will take a couple of years.
    The new car will be called S60 and will be based on the EUCD platform.
    The one that the S80,V70,XC70 and XC60 use.
    If you look at the XC60 you will get an idea of how the next S60 will look.

What Volvo will do w/ the next S60 is offer more variants to cover the entire S40-S60 price range.
  • rapidrickrapidrick Posts: 70
    Wow, the end of an era. The S40 has developed a bit of a cult following here, complete with the lovers/haters.

Me? I'm ordering my OSD C30 1.0 Monday night!!!
    Wow, the end of an era. The S40 has developed a bit of a cult following here, complete with the lovers/haters.

Hmmm

Me? I'm ordering my OSD C30 1.0 Monday night!!!

Enjoy the C30, its a fun car!
  • bonsbons Posts: 45
    The only car that trumps Volvo in safety is Saab...
    Saab 93 earns IIHS 5-star rating 4 years in a row...
    a little faster and more fun to drive too.
    Anyone here owns both or prefers Saab over Volvo?
    First off, IIHS doesn't do a star rating system.
    They go by Good, Acceptable, Marginal Poor.
    Next, they don't test cars every year.
    A model is only retested if there is a significant change to it.

IIHS also puts out the Top Safety Pick award.
    Volvo has 3 cars on that list,most of any manufacturer.
  • This looks cool, it would be a nice car in a different color.
    Anyone know when it will be available? :)
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/03/scoop-2009-volvo-s40.html
    as the article states, its a photoshop created by the folks at a German magazine.