Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• mike123mike123 Posts: 10
    The stock size is 215-50-R16. Is there a 60 series profile that would fit the 2004
    S40? I would like to increase ride height by at least 1" and don't want clearance issues from wheel cowl area to tire.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,673
    Going from 215/50 to 215/60 would increase your "ride height" by nearly 1", but it would actually be a total top of bottom difference of almost 1 3/4". I think that's too much. And it would put your speedometer off by 20%.

What is it you are trying to do? Increase ride comfort? Or pretend to be an SUV? If the former, you could try to increase sidewall height slightly, but you could also try lower tire pressure and tires with softer sidewalls.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• mike123mike123 Posts: 10
    The short answer is to increase ground clearance. From day one the 2004 S40 scraped the ground at any slight lot berm or driveway. It has the factory sport suspension so I guess they wanted it to be low to the ground, but it's a bit too low for average driving. Thanks for the reply. Mike123
    Hmmm... Well, that's a problem.

I wonder if there aren't springs available to increase ride height. That would be the way to go. It would take some research. For instance, maybe Mazda3 wagon springs are taller.(?)

• My 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i got a sport suspension? It get hard to tolerate jumps on highways and not talking about city drive. Could I make something other than got less air on my wheels to upgrade my suspension? All those Blistens and/or other shock absorbers brands could help me? Any suggestion??
  • volvobuffvolvobuff Posts: 35
    It is very rare to find an S40 2.4i with a sport suspension, which is standard on T5 AWD models. If your car does have the sport package, it would have, in addition to the sport suspension, aluminum interior inlays, front fog lamps, and 17" wheels. If your car has 16" wheels, it probably does not have the sport suspension. I have a 2008 S40 T5 FWD, which has the normal suspension but 17" wheels, and I also found the ride much too stiff. I "downgraded" to 16" rims and appropriate tires and found that the ride was much more suited to my taste and driving style.
  • Which tire brand and size? I am ready to get new ones.Thanks
  • huskers430huskers430 Posts: 1
    Looking into buying a 2008 S40 but live in Omaha, where winters can be tough. How does the S40 handle in winter weather, especially snow? Anyone have experiences they can share?
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    Our snow has been light and limited over the past few years but my 2006 T5awd has done well. Good tires make all the differeece. Tire Rack lists comparisons and ratings that are very useful. My Volvo replaced a Subaru which was great for snow.
    Good luck.
  • volvobuffvolvobuff Posts: 35
    I have a 2008 S40 T5 FWD. It is great in the winter snow here in NE. I would imagine that the T5 AWD would be even better.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,811
    Looking to trade my '06 Civic for a S40 because of spinal issues. Are the seats really that much better & would the power seat be a better fit for someone in my condition? Have always wanted an S40 but the problems associated with them plus the price have kept me away. Would love some information about the pros & cons of the 2.4i base model with power seat option.

TIA folks. Thinking of buying one here in South Florida.

The Sandman :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

My Volvo is a 2006 T5 S40...the power seats are great ...some of the best out there. They are firm with good bolsters and a lumbar adjustment.
    You might think of the Civic as a lightweight S40. Both are very good cars. The Volvo weighs more, is more quiet, and feels more solid. Gas milage is 22+city /30+ highway when driven at the legal speeds.
    Since the seat is a major concern be sure to request a long test drive before committing $.
    Good luck,
    Charlie
  • davidp158davidp158 Posts: 16
    I have an '06 S40 with leather seats, and I find the side "bolsters" (raised support cushioning along the hips) to be excruciatingly hard. I usually get cramps on drives over 30 minutes. I have spent a lot of time trying various adjustments, and the seats just don't fit my body (5'7", 150 lbs). However, my wife (5'6", 130 lbs.) thinks they are fine.

Another concern may be the overall size of the car. I'm not a big guy, but I do find the S40 to be rather cramped, and interior storage is at a minimum. With your spinal condition, getting in and out of the car may be an issue, as it can be tight depending on where your seat is positioned. The overall ergonomics of the car are great, but in retrospect I wish we had given the S60 more consideration.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the S40. For a small car, the ride, handling and performance are very nice. However, the seats are literally a pain in the butt (for me).

I would urge you to to rent a S40 and put some miles on it to see if it suits you. Whatever car you end up, electric seats are a convenient way to make adjustments as you drive.
    5'7" and 155 here so we are almost the same in size. The Civic seats have become more & more uncomfortable over this past year. Have the seat ratcheted all the way up plus sit on a pillow but egress & ingress are getting more difficult...have to swing the legs out 1st to exit and back in and then pull the legs around to sit down. Have heard marvelous things about the seats though.
    Wifey is very adamant that "I'm stupid" to even consider such a move, but only I know the pain I live with just to drive my car...luckily I only drive about 7200 miles per year. Was supposed to test drive today but my spine has kept me in bed all day so far. Tomorrow will hopefully be better to test drive.
    Both cars are similar in size...wife drives a Mazda 3s, so no problem there. I'll know once I test drive the car. Going to Orlando this weekend and maybe I'll see if i can rent a Volvo for that trip just to see how it works long term. Dealer has an '06 & 2 '08's that look promising. Time will tell.

The Sandman :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Drove an '06, 2 '08's and an '09 S49 2.4i and was not impressed with the power seats nor the leather. Did like the neoprene fabric though. Went to try out an '09 Sonata GLS with the power seat and it was way more comfortable for my spinal condition than the S40. Could manipulate the seat better in the Sonata so at this point the S40 is out of the running. Shame as I love the size and the '09 drove seemlessly with smooth shifts and ample power. Looks like my pristine '06 Civic LX will have to do for awhile which makes wifey verrrryyy happy. She thought I was nuts to trade such a nice car with such low mileage...21.8k. Will give the Volvo another look see when the 2010 models come out.
    Shame as I really did want the S40 but the amount of $ plus the just o k seats kept me from pulling the trigger. At least the wife is happy...and like they say, "happy wife, happy life"!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

Hey, Sonata is a very good car and with a better waranty than the S40.
    Good luck and enjoy !
    In my experiences, I haven't found the S40 seats to be anywhere near the quality/comfort of the S60. So you may want to try out its slightly bigger brother before giving up on a used volvo.

• vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    Hey Volvophiles: I've never owned a Volvo, but am looking at buying a 2001 or 2002 S40 or V40 with <100k miles for my youngest daughter. What specific issues should I be aware of with such a vehicle? Suspension, timing belts, trannies, brakes, electronics? I do a lot of my own maintenance/repair work, so little things don't bother me too much, but what about more serious or expensive stuff? Comments/recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks, DP
    So much depends on how well a car was cared for during the previous 8 years ownership. Most new car dealers don't handle these on their used lots thus no waranty. Consumer Reports does not have enough data on 2000-2001 to give a rating. Later models have done OK...mine's a 2006 and no real problems..But parts and major service for Volvos are high and can be more complicated than Japanese.
    A well cared for, mechanic inspected, and thoroughly evaluated..maybe.
    I'd look into a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Protege, or Toyota Prius for my daughter (I did) and do the same evaluations.
    Continue to do your homework and good luck.
    Hi snead_c: Thanks for your feedback...much appreciated. I certainly agree that the Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas have a dependability factor that can't be ignored. They generally run like Swiss watches, but other than the higher-end vehicles (Acura, Infinity and Lexus), I find them to be pretty boring, not much more exciting than a Taurus. I own or have owned three Jettas, a Passat and an Audi A4 which have been generally good vehicles, but many annoying smaller problems (ridiculously bad window mechanisms, front suspension issues, wheel bearings, coil packs, and frequent CEL issues). So..when you say that Volvo parts and service costs are high, would you say that they are WORSE than VW/Audi? What attracts me most about Volvos is their reputation for safety. Thanks again, vwdawg
    I've also had 1 Acura,7 VWs,1 Volvo...lots of Subis,Hondas,Toyotas,and even a Ford LTD and Galaxy, 2 Pontiacs,a Dodge Diplomat, a Chevy Kamback,a Protege,and...I must have left something out...currently we have a 2006 S40 and 2009 Prius. I've never had a car I didn't like at the time and most were "solid"...in pricing parts for the Volvo I've watched waranty items and service costs. I'd say VW and the Volvo would be about the same with a little more parts availability for VWs.
    I look at the highway admin data when available for safety concerns.
    You seem very experienced and could probably handle typical repair issues for any purchase. Me...oil changes,etc only.
    For my daughter I purchased a Honda Accord(used..and stolen) A new Civic (wrecked) a Toyota Camry(used and traded) for a Mazda Protege. After 100,000miles she purchased a new Civic and loves it.
    I drive the Volvo for the awd aspect since we live in the mountains and it's a solid feeling comfortable car to drive (with 23MPG overall)...more so than our Prius.
    I purchased the Prius for my wife last November...we have 19,000+ miles on it and love it. gas milage can run from 40 to 55 MPG and it has minimal service need and it's a Toyota. The hybrid battery should exceed 180,000 miles and about all I need to do is change the oil every 5000 miles and drop in an air filter now and then and it has very good safety ratings.
    Seriously, if you haven't driven one check out the 2010. I 'll bet you'll be very surprised.
    Nice chatting with another "car crazy" person. :D
    Hi snead_c: Thanks for your thorough overview and commentary on all of these vehicles. It sounds like your experience with the '06 S40 has been reasonably good....I might explore the S40 or V40 in the near future, although with two recent college grads and my youngest daughter still in private high school, I'm probably going to have to restrict my options to 2002 or older, with lower mileage if I can find one. I bought an ancient (1995) Mazda 626 V6 for my oldest daughter three years ago, and it just keeps rolling along at 140,000 miles. I have also owned several other Mazdas along the way, and have concluded that they are just as dependable as the Hondas and Toyotas, but the prices aren't quite as overinflated. I am aware of the raves on the new Prius, and will probably purchase one in the future, but the budget won't support a $28-30,000 rig right now. Have an excellent day. vwdawg
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi All!

I am considering purchasing a new Volvo 2010 - S40 with 2.5 / inline 5 cylinder engine and a 5 speed automatic transmission.

The vehicle will have the following options:

1.) Power Glass Moonroof.
    2.) Power Passenger Seat.
    3.) Keyless Drive Function.
    4.) Heated Front Seats.

I am looking at the reviews on Volvo's, and I am seeing that there are some issues with the S40 vehicles. --- Some of these vehicles have electrical, A/C, brake and transmission issues.

Are there any owners out there who could put some light on this issue! ----I do not want to purchase a vehicle that has a potential problem! ----- I do not want to purchase a "dog!"

Some of the other vehicles that I am considering are:

1.) Toyota Rav4
    2.) Honda CRV
    3.) Hyundai Sonata
    4.) Ford Fusion
    5.) Mercury Milan
    6.) Toyota Camry
    7.) Chevrolet Malibu

Best regards! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • My wife has a similar vehicle, but 2007. After 35,000 miles the only problem encountered was that the battery died about 2 weeks ago. It was easily replaced, of course.

The Volvo has a refined feel to it: the other cars you list do not. By refined, I mean that all the controls (steering, brakes, etc) seem smoother, made to tighter tolerances. Test drive one and pay attention to that feeling and you'll feel the difference.
    Paul
    Paul:

Thank you for the posting! ----- I want to be VERY careful about making this purchase!

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;)
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    I agree, my '07 T5 has been great, I'm only at 22k miles. The T5 motor can be thrifty on fuel if you want it to be, but it is fun to run it through its paces too. I have 8 months left on my lease and am considering another one, probably the AWD version though.

-Brian
    Good Morning Brian:

Thank you for your posting on this subject. ------ How often does Volvo require you to change the engine oil? ----- I presently have a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6 and Toyota recommends 5,000 mile oil and filter changes. ------ (I make it a point to do it every 2,500 miles, because my vehicle is my office, and engine sludge can be an issue on some vehicles!) ------ What does the dealer charge for an oil & filter service. ----- The Toyota dealer charges $30.000 + tax & EPA charges. ------- I use the dealer because I want all my maintenance records in one location should I need service work under the extended warranty. ------ Do you have an extended warranty on your vehicle? ---- If the answer to this question is "yes," ----what was the cost of that warranty? --------- Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • I'm not Brian, but for one point of reference: y wife's S40 I4 is required to be changed every 7500 miles! As I know something about oil deterioration (which is really additive deterioration), it scared me. A technician told me that they get away with it because of the large sump. It takes 7 quarts. Though they don't call for it, I use synthetic as insurance.
    Paul
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Yep, the previous poster answered the mileage interval I use as well. There is a MAINT REQD message that appears when it is time to get the oil changed. I do not have a maintenance package or extended warranty. However, the new Volvo's come with included maintenance for 3 years with the Safe & Sound package. So, your scheduled maintenance is already paid for.

-Brian
This discussion has been closed.