Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    Well, i'm not an expert or an attorney, but I believe this would technically be considered their 2nd attempt at fixing the problem. You'd have to check the lemon law in your state, but many indicated the dealer has 3 tries to fix a problem. If its not fixed after the 3rd, then you can pursue a buyback through the lemon law.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Hi i have a volvo s40 2001 to with 45500 miles on the clock bought it second hand worked fine 2 days later i had the same starting problem as you, then the third day it just would,nt start, towed it to the garaged they changed the FUEL PUMP and it worked a charm.
  • I've been reading a lot of these messages and have been seeing that ppl have been having problems with the fuel pumps. Does anyone know if the 06's are better and if it's worth getting it with all the problems that everyone has been encountering? Thanks
  • Hey thanks for the information.....i will check it out today. Wish me luck. Do you know whether or not the Crankshaft position sensor can be switched out without Volvo doing it. Are there any timing factors associatied with changing the Crankshaft position sensor?
  • I have a 2001 s40 with 100,000 miles on it and its been a great car with no problems. I went to replace the trunk light bulb and in the process of removing the bulb I noticed some sparks. Since then the interior lights don't work,the information center in the dash resets every time the ignition is turned off and the radio antenna doesn't raise. I've checked the owners manual it doesn't list fuses for any of these items. I cheeked every fuse under the dash and they appear to be ok, I also checked all of the fuses in the engine compartment that are the same type as under the dash and they all appear to be fine. The fuse box in the engine compartment has a group of three fuses for the radio that reguires special tool as well as codes for the radio.The radio still works but with reduced reception could the lights and information center be tied to the radio fuses.I would appreciate anyones input on these problems as I'm not a fan of dealerships I much prefer to do as much of my own maintenance as possible.
  • Hi this is my first post here.
    I am the owner of 2000 Volvo S40. So far I getting several problems through out the years I own this car. Now, I am facing big issues, similar to transmission problem which is going to cost my arms and legs. This is problem, the car runs very slow at below 30 MPH, I steps on the gas paddle but it just can’t go fast as before. When it hits about 30 MPH it will run fine without problem. Does anyone had similar problem or anyone know how much it cost to fix the problem?

Many thanks,

=D=
    :cry:
  • lsimlsim Posts: 7
    just saw your message and I a owner of a 2004.5 t5 s40 and had the exact problem and more. In fact, 10 more problems which kept me a frequent costumer in the repair shop. Disgusted, I wrote a letter of complaint to the Volvo "costumer complaint center" and my car was labeled a lemon! They gave me an upgraded s40T5 awd 2005 at absoulutly no extra cost. With some persistance and constant follow through this story is amazing but true. Although, I don't have any problems with 2005, currently at 3500 miles and it drives awesome in our recent snow storm (10"), I still have a bad feeling about this car. Can't put my finger on it and you can take this info. for what it's worth. Best of luck
  • I have a 05 T5 AWD and I'm looking for some feedback from other owners just on what to do with the car and if anyone else has experienced the same thing as me. Starting at around 700 miles, my brakes started squeaking extremely loudly upon backing up in the mornings. I've brought my car in probably 4-5 times now and each time they've "updated" it or tried to fix it and the car is still squeaking. The squeak is so loud that I could wake up my neighbors and the problem is driving me nuts. Has anyone else had this happen and what suggestions would you give on what to do about it?

thanks
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    How often do you spray down the calipers?
    Brake dust is probably getting trapped between the pad and rotor.
    Once a week when you are cleaning your wheels you should spray the cailpers.
  • exo425exo425 Posts: 15
    Hi,
    i have an 05 S40 2.4i w/ sport package and it does this as well. i brought my car in for routine maintenance and told them to check this problem. they replace the rear calipers as well as the pads on the brakes. they should replace these under warranty.
  • The 2006 s40 is a great car and I love driving it! But I am bugged by the wind noise at the tops of the driver & passenger windows. It sounds like the windows are not completely up. Volvo claims they cannot hear the noise, but I've had friends drive the car and they can hear it. Wondering if anyone else is having the same experience.

Also, my brakes squeak when backing up. The car only has 2700 miles on it.

Any input would be appreciated.
  • I just got a new battery installed in my 2003 S40 and the radio requires a code to re-boot. I have the code but before I could punch it in my brother tried several wrong codes and the radio now says "off". I went to the dealer and they said that the radio has to be on for 2 hours to re-set and then the word code will come back up. I had the radio on for over 3 hours and the it never happened. We even went so far as to disconnect the battery and start over but to no avail. Any suggestions?!? The service center is closed until Tuesday and I NEED my radio. Happy New Year everyone!
  • au94au94 Posts: 171
    Well, we have an 06 T5 that has the same brake issue at virtually the same mileage. Our first oil change is free from the dealer and I was planning on waiting until then to have it looked at. I have noticed that brake dust accumalates more on the real wheels than the front. Never seen this before, its usually the other way around.

Din't seem to have the wind noise problem though.

Anyone that has any input on the brakes would be appreciated!
  • We have been looking for a S40 T5 and looked into leasing a 2006 but in the process found a 2005 S40 T5 AWD, Prem Pkg. 6spd manual which is exactly what my husband wanted. My question is what should we offer on a 2005 now that it is Jan 06? the MSRP is $31,250. I feel like if we could get a good enough price on an 05 it might be better to buy than to lease an 06. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
  • I was quoted a lease deal on a Met. Silver, 06 S40 T5, Prem, Sport, Audio, Conven. Pkgs. with an MSRP of $32,225 and a sale price of $26,807. The lease is for 36 months with 15k/year and the payment are $491down and $491/Month. The price seems amazing but the payments seem really high for this price. When I go on the Volvo website finance calculator, the payments are closer to $400/month. Can anyone offer me advice about what seems wrong with this deal? We have excellent credit. The residual value is $15,145. Thanks for your help!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    well, i believe the volvo calculator does not take tax into consideration, for one. And I would venture a guess that it also leaves out DMV fees and paperwork fees.

There is a lease calculator here on Edmunds you could try. It allows you to plug in all those extra costs.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

leave the key in the ignition in the on position for 2 hrs(engine doesn't need to be on) with the radio on.
  • You need to shop other Volvo dealers as well. I bet they quoted you the payment without pulling your credit first. They are assuming you qualify already but keep in mine they make profit based on the different money factor (in leasing lango)they use to calculate the payment. All leases now are full disclosure so they really can't snuck in hidden fees accept for acquasition fee and disposition fee (price you pay at least turn in if you don't purchase the car). As for the lease payment calculator, it is always low. Don't rely on it. There are a lot of factors that it doesn't account for to make an accurate quote. If you don't plan on keeping the car for a long time and drive within the allowance mileage, go for the lease. If you buy and plan to trade within 3 years, don't do it. You have to save more than a couple thousand dollars to go with an 05 instead of 06. Don't lease an 05 period. Good luck..
  • Thank you very much for your help. I was concerned about the deal the offered because they acutally called and offered us a much lower price and better deal and then called back and said that they had made a mistake and it was actually going to be the price offered above. I really liked this Volvo dealer when i bought my S60, but now I'm having my doubts becuase the lease manager first misquoted us and then has been rude to us since his mistake. Unfortunately there is just the one lease guy, becuase the other people there have been great to us.

He told me that the "Cap Cost" was $26,807 does this mean that it includes the tax and fees? Thank you so much for your help and advice!
    Cap cost doesn't include taxes and fees.