Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Well, first of all the S40 is in no way shape or form a competitor for the IS350.
    Volvo has no plans to expand the S40 lineup.
    The V70 2.4i has not been discontinued.
    Volvo is only planning one R series model at a time.
    The next S60R, if approved would likely use the 4.4 V8 from the XC90 and S80.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    But they discontinued the S60 2.4i which leaves a gap in the sedan lineup.

I doubt the s60 will have a v8. That makes it to close to the s80. A 3.2 I6 above the t5 would be good for the s40 to compete better with others not just the IS350. Say the A4 3.2 or 330xi for example.
    The S40 2.4i has not been discontinued.

The S60R will most probably have a V8, as the S4 does and M3 will by the time the new R arrives.

Too much work would have to be done to the S40 to make it an A4 or 3 series competitor. It is too small for one thing, esp. compared to the bimmer.
    the next S60 will do w/out the turbo engines, it will have the 3.2 SI6, so a V8 is the next logical level for the R.
    The next S60 will also be bigger than the current car, but not by much.
    If anything, Volvo may consider dropping the S40, if not totally then at least from the US market.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    If anything, Volvo may consider dropping the S40, if not totally then at least from the US market.

Really? That would be a suprise. I was under the impression that the S60 was going to go away because it's stuck in size between the S40 and S80. It's not much bigger than the S40 and not much smaller than the S80.
    Nothing is carved in stone yet.

There is a new S60 being developed, it is slightly bigger than the current car, but not as big as the S80.
    Think new 3 series compared to the 5 Series.

The S40 has been a disapointment for Volvo in the US. Its not bringing in the sales they thought it would. Its not nice enough to compete w/ the A4 or 3 series and too pricey to compete w/ VW and Honda or Toyota.
    The S60 has consistently outsold the S40 and is more profitable for Volvo, so I strongly doubt that it will go away.
    The S40 has been a disapointment for Volvo in the US. Its not bringing in the sales they thought it would. Its not nice enough to compete w/ the A4 or 3 series and too pricey to compete w/ VW and Honda or Toyota.

That would be it's main problem. Although I loved the V50 when I test drove it, I couldn't bring myself to the $30K + MSRP for it.

I think Volvo either has to price it to compete against the Jetta or content it up/maintain the price to compete against the A4.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    That's always been Volvo's problem. They are a "tweener" brand. Not up to par with the luxury class and too nice for the economy class, so you can't compare it to anything and it falls through the cracks.

Doesn't the S60 only do as well as it does due to heavy incentives?

I hope the poor S40 sales don't scuttle the C30.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

Doesn't the S60 only do as well as it does due to heavy incentives?

That's what I always thought. IIRC, anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 is the norm.
    I think Volvo either has to price it to compete against the Jetta or content it up/maintain the price to compete against the A4.

Have you seen Jetta prices??
    They are as much or more than the S40!
    Which is why VW will be cutting sticker prices next year.
    The S60 has done well for Volvo.
    It will never outsell the 3 series, but can hold its own against the A4 and C Class.
    The problem right now w/ the S60 is that the car is old. Its competitors have all been re-done since the S60 debuted.

As for the C30, its future is an issue.
    It won't be significantly less than the S40 it is based on.
    Americans have never paid real money for hatchbacks.
    Only Mini has been able to prosper, but I doubt that Volvo will be able to replicate that kind of success.
    well, if they can't price the C30 lower, than they shouldn't bother.

Personally, I'd be looking at a loaded C30 T5 for $25k ($27k w/nav). Anything more and it doesn't work.

I don't think hatchbacks are necessarily a problem here, its overpriced hatchbacks that don't sell. Mazda did VERY well with the P5 and now with the Mazda3 hatch, and the Civic hatch certainly never suffered. As you pointed out, MINI is also a big success. The c230, on the other hand, was a big flop. When you look at what you got for the money with the Benz, it wasn't a surprise that it flopped. Same was true of the bimmer back when that was available. People like hatches, but aren't willing to pay luxo-car prices for them.

Have you seen Jetta prices??
    They are as much or more than the S40!
    Which is why VW will be cutting sticker prices next year.

Yes I have - you can get up over $30K for the GLI. But don't forget you can get into a Jetta for less than $18K MSRP or spend a few bucks more and you can get a comparably equipped Jetta for less than an S40.
    Personally, I think a loaded C30 will push $30k.

Even at $25k I have questions about the C30's viability.
    Sub $20k prices are more in line w/ the hatchback market, excepting the Mini which is a special case.
    i think the new civic si is and will continue to be a strong seller, too. That's right at $20k without nav and $22k with nav. And I believe the Volvo will be much more roomy than the civic coupe (i could be wrong), not to mention more features. So I think $5k more is reasonable.

At $30k, it will be the benz c230 all over again.

• lehawkinslehawkins Posts: 2
    Hi - I have had the same starter problem you've described with my 2005 Volvo S40 T5. Did the ECU download really help? I have had ignition issues with this car since I bought it last July, and desperately want to find a solution! Anyone else having this problem?
  • stanwelksstanwelks Posts: 35
    Anyone know how reliable it has been overall?
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    91 octane...
  • lehawkinslehawkins Posts: 2
    My dealer filled my S40 T5 with premium before I bought it and told me to fill it with mid-grade the next time (once the premium was almost out). Then after that, they told me to down-grade again to the "cheap stuff" (not so cheap any more, but...) My car has run just fine on 87 octane, except for the starter problems, which I have been assured are not from the low-grade gasoline.
  • culgariculgari Posts: 1
    My 2005 S40 started making some snapping noises about a month ago, mainly when going at slow speeds and turning to the left. I took it in, but the dealership said that the noises could not be heard and I should wait until it gets worse. About a week ago, the car also started making a “rubbing” noise when I turn to the right, and it is coming from the same area, the front left wheel. What can be the problem?
    Thanks