Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    Original post/criticism of S40 related to size.
  • dannyw827dannyw827 Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am about to buy a used 2004.5 S40 T5. It has 39,000k miles, factory warranty is covered until 50k. Would I be able to purchase an extended warranty?
  • mccurleymccurley Posts: 1
    Hi Lunanegra - I have experienced a similar sudden drop in fuel efficiency. I have taken my 2002 S40 to two dealers and both say there is no problem, but I am suddenly getting 30% less out of each tank. I recently had the thermostat replaced also and have, in the past, experienced spontaneous revving.

Did you ever find a solution for your car?

Thanks!
  • jaredheckjaredheck Posts: 1
    I have almost exactly the same problem. I was replacing the trunk bulb, got a spark, fried the bulb, and now my trip odometer and clock reset every time the car is turned off, the radio doesn't work at all, and the central locking system remote doesn't work either. Any solutions?
  • autoeduautoedu Posts: 47
    It's actually 14.5 gallon in some car.

Volvo owner's manual indicates that models with engine code 39 (the 6th and 7th digit of your VIN #) have a fuel tank capacity of 14.5 US gallons (55 liters)

When fuel empty light is on you have approximately 2.1 gallons left.

It's not recommended that you continuously drive with tank near empty. Refuel as soon as possible before it reaches E or you risk damaging the fuel pump

It is important to note that the "usable" tank capacity will be somewhat less than the specified maximum (15.9 or 14.5 gallons) to accommodate possible expansion of the fuel in hot weather, as indicated in the owner manual

Advice to everyone, any questions or concerns about your vehicle, first consult your owner manual it contains a great deal of information.
  • rosweetrosweet Posts: 6
    I'm considering a Volvo S40 for my next purchase, however, when it is compared to Acura TsX and other entry level luxury car, the resale value looks not impressive at all. Does anybody know why S40 has bad resale value? :confuse:
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Well, I just ran Manheim on the 2005 Auto TSX and the 2005 Auto S40 T5.
    Cars stickered fairly close to each other.
    Both cars show auction values between $18-20000.
    On average, the TSX is a few hundred higher,but thats it.
  • wb03volvowb03volvo Posts: 1
    I have the caliber off and the new rotor/pads on. When I use the special tool to spin the piston back in, it spin's but does not go back into the caliber. Is there something I am missing?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,611
    Cars stickered fairly close to each other.
    Both cars show auction values between $18-20000.
    On average, the TSX is a few hundred higher,but thats it.

Don't forget though that you can typically get a better discount off the MSRP on the S40 than you can on the TSX. You need to take that into account.
  • I'm new to this forum so I might be in the wrong place so bear with me. Last year I bought a used 2001 S40 Turbo and I love it. I am a mechanic but I know little about Volvos. How can I get another 25 or 30 horse out of it without breaking the bank?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Contact ipd.
    They can sell you an ECU upgrade.
  • $1200 - don't think so right now!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,913
    Well, there are cheaper chip manufacturers out there. But they are piggy-back chips, not reflashes, like IPD. BUT, you may just get what you pay for.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• lexleaselexlease Posts: 9
    Does your city already have ethanol in the gasoline? This alone will impact your MPG considerably. I had 31 MPG pre and now get 26MPG.
  • rosweetrosweet Posts: 6
    Thanks for the information Robr & Volvomax. I'm just wondering what's difference on discout off MSRP between Volvo & TSX. Thanks.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,611
    When I was shopping in 2005 I would've paid sticker for the TSX. The S40 would've been a couple thousand off of sticker.
  • chakibchakib Posts: 1
    Did you fix the issue if so how, I have the same problem.

Thanks
    ck6@rocketmail.com
  • jriperjriper Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 S40 the fan was on top speed and couldn't be turned off for about 5 days and now it's not running at all and there is no ac or heat where there was before. Any ideas of the problem, I've only had this car for about a month.
  • casualfccasualfc Posts: 13
    I drive an '03 S40. Manual says it needs 91 octane minimum. I always get Premiun gas, which is usually 93 here (87 and 89 being the lower 2). Is it really necessary to keep getting premium. I know opinions vary so I'll hear several here. Suggestions?