Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,597
    If you use 87 or 89 octane, your vehicle will adjust it's performance to work with that fuel.

The problem is that you will get lower performance and lower mpg - changing to a lower octane is generally a false economy and may cost you most in fuel in the long run.

The engine is designed to perform best at 91 octane minimum.
  • jessreds40jessreds40 Posts: 21
    My husband and I noticed a delay when we open the doors on my brand new 07 VolvoS40. They are locked from drive position and then when in park they remain in lock. I take the key out and are still locked. I have to pull the door handle out and then again. Its like the first time I pull it lets the door know it needs to unlock. Is this NORMAL? :confuse: A safety feature? It's kind of annoying and causing more wear and tear to the handle. :(
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Yes,it is quite normal.
    There is a section in the menu settings that allows you to enable or disable the auto door locking system.
    Once the doors lock,they WILL NOT unlock.
    You either have to use the unlock switch or PULL TWICE on the door handle.
    Thanks! A bit of a pain but I understand the saftey feature. I really need to read my manual. :shades:
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Hello all,

I thought I remembered reading here on edmunds.com about a few changes/upgrades to the '08 S40, but can't seem to find the info in doing searches. Can anyone tell me what to expect for the '08 model, and when that car is expected to hit showrooms? If I am way off base, my apologies...but in that case, when is the next refresh/redesign?

Thanks in advance!
    Only minor upgrades on the 2008.
    Front and rear bumpers change
    Headlights/taillights change
    Center console changes,bigger front door pockets, new wood for center console(don't like it).
    T5 engine goes from 218 hp to 227hp.

Next redesign 2010-11
    When I asked my sales person at the time of purchase (few weeks ago); he told me no changed for the 08. He was new to the dealership, so I wasn't hard on him. I already knew there where some minors changes to the look. Can't wait to compare. But I love my 07! :shades:
  • seawolf36seawolf36 Posts: 1
    This is just not true, at least on my '07 V50 T5 it isn't. Maybe the S40 is different. On my vehicle, the menu accessed through the radio display screen has a position to totally turn this so called feature off. I HATE this "feature" and would not have purchased the vehicle had I not be able to disable it. Good luck. (A strange safety feature in that it appears that with it "on" the doors would remain locked after a collision preventing escape if needed. Likewise a submerging with electrical sys disabled)

seawolf
    I really reallly need to read my manual throughly! I am going straight to it and read to see if I can. I sure hope so. THANKS!!!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    for the info on the '08... sounds like left-over 07s might be a great deal!
    To my surprise! I just realized that my climage package included front light washers! I was utterly amazed they pop out of the bumber and sray the lights. Call me a kid today- I was clapping.. I'm still laughing with the ladies at work about them! :P
  • blumsteinblumstein Posts: 38
    I bought an 07 Mercury Milan V6 Premium in March and an 07 S40 in July. I am the primary driver on the Milan and my wife is the primary on the S40. The sales prices was the same. The Milan is a mid-size & the S40 a compact. We both have good driving records. The S40 was $136 more per yr ($606 vs $740) in an L.A. suburb with full coverage. I have no idea why the S40 is higher.
    Doubtless because the Volvo would be more expensive to repair. The component costs are greater on a Volvo than on a Mercury.
  • makigrlmakigrl Posts: 19
    Where would you say the reliability level of a vovlo s40 is compared to audi/mercedes/bmw or cars like the lexus IS 250 or acura tsx? You would buy the bmw for driving excitement. The audi for quattro awd and VW built cars are high quality cars that are built well. The Mercdes for the nameplate and being the most luxurious . I wouldn't trust too much for any of the German cars such as audi/mercedes/bmw for being very reliable. The Japanese cars would be higher in reliability. If you were looking for a European car how reliable would an s40 be?
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    My 15 months experince with a Volvo s40 has been very good. I've had a couple of QC complaints but they were handled promptly and I'm satisfied. It appears the shop costs will be high if I end up paying after warantee but that's the case with all these cars. So the quality of local dealer support might be a little more important here.
    If you want real reliability long term you'll almost have to stick with regular Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, and perhaps Nissans...
    IMHO,
    Charlie
  • litbitlitbit Posts: 1
    The main changes are that Volvo have added to the 2008 S40 is 17" Spartacus Alloys to the premium package. The audio package is now the Dynaudio package with a beefed up stereo system with top of the line Dynaudio speakers. Also the Bi Xenon headlights are now the active versions which follow the curvature of the road when you're driving giving an even better visibility at night. I ordered the S40 T5 since I'm currenty overseas. :)
  • I have a S40 2.4i NOT sport Package/suspension and I still feel the suspension too uncomfortable in highways because of continuous jumping. I checked Michelin MXV4 tires pressure and are the same the manufacturer recommended, but I still feel not real nice. Could I change shock absorbers or any idea to improved the comfortable behavior? or is the car short length that make this kind of suspension feel? I do not matter to sacrificed performance, I am not a sport driver.
  • I, too, have a problem with the harsh ride in my '06 S40, 2.4i non-turbo, 5 spd. manual. Have to blame myself, tho. When I test drove the car I was so enthralled by everything else that I only drove it around the block a couple of times. Also, another peeve is that when I drive with the windows down, a terrific blast of air comes through at any speed above 20. I bought some of those plastic louvers that go over the top of the windows which seems to help a little. Other than the above I have no real complaints after 76K miles. Had to replace the catalytic converter at 53K (under extended warranty) but that's it.

On the ride issue, the dealer has no suggestions. Apparently there are no other struts available from Volvo. IPD says they sell a softer one but haven't tried it. Don't know what your mileage is but mine seems to ride a little softer after 76K. I'll try a tire geared more towards comfort when it's time to replace; but that won't be for another 20K or so. The wheelbase of 104.3" is about average for this group of cars. Oh, my old desk foam seat cushion also helps! Good luck.
  • Has anyone hooked up an iphone to the S40 with the bluetooth accessory?
  • Will never buy another Volvo. I had to replace the ignition switch on my 05 S40 for the second time in 2 years. While still under warranty, I have lost faith in this car. Too bad, I really enjoyed its style & handling.