Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    Its all a question of naming, however.
    The "new S40" could be called an S60. It could be based on the S40/C30/V50/C70 platform but volvo just decides to name it the S60 and drop the S40 name. Just a possibility.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• nowiseenowisee Posts: 2
    I rear-ended someone a few weeks ago and my front bumper and hood and lights are crushed and the autobody place wants 5k$ to fix it. It's a 2001 S40 with 115K on it. Maybe I should buy the parts and do it myself. Where can I get them? Or where can I sell my schmooshed S40, which I love.
  • I do auto body repair. No one can really give you a good answer without looking at it carefully. Depending on several things,like whether the new parts are on hand,how much structural damage it suffered,how well the paint work goes,and most importantly the repair people.Last time I repair a Volvo 240 and I purchased a Volvo 240 Grill (out-of-production) on some online store because it is the fastest way to find one.. Without insurance you are surely trying to save money so please understand that the better paying jobs come first. As I said you want to save your money you can search online store for your parts...I hope this details helps you.

http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?VolvoRepairManual/700_5_1.htm
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/
    www.parts.com
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Well, the S40 is going away.
    It will take a couple of years.
    The new car will be called S60 and will be based on the EUCD platform.
    The one that the S80,V70,XC70 and XC60 use.
    If you look at the XC60 you will get an idea of how the next S60 will look.

What Volvo will do w/ the next S60 is offer more variants to cover the entire S40-S60 price range.
  • rapidrickrapidrick Posts: 70
    Wow, the end of an era. The S40 has developed a bit of a cult following here, complete with the lovers/haters.

Me? I'm ordering my OSD C30 1.0 Monday night!!!
    Wow, the end of an era. The S40 has developed a bit of a cult following here, complete with the lovers/haters.

Hmmm

Me? I'm ordering my OSD C30 1.0 Monday night!!!

Enjoy the C30, its a fun car!
  • bonsbons Posts: 45
    The only car that trumps Volvo in safety is Saab...
    Saab 93 earns IIHS 5-star rating 4 years in a row...
    a little faster and more fun to drive too.
    Anyone here owns both or prefers Saab over Volvo?
    First off, IIHS doesn't do a star rating system.
    They go by Good, Acceptable, Marginal Poor.
    Next, they don't test cars every year.
    A model is only retested if there is a significant change to it.

IIHS also puts out the Top Safety Pick award.
    Volvo has 3 cars on that list,most of any manufacturer.
  • This looks cool, it would be a nice car in a different color.
    Anyone know when it will be available? :)
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/03/scoop-2009-volvo-s40.html
    as the article states, its a photoshop created by the folks at a German magazine.

First of all, there is no such thing as a new S40.
    The S40 and S60 will be combined into the new S60.
  • OK, well you got me, not bad for a volvo nerd...LOL
  • luneyluney Posts: 1
    Anyone have a great source? I've googled it, and found options, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's had a product on their car long enough to know if it yellows, hardens or any other drawbacks.
  • cx7lovercx7lover Posts: 50
    Makes no sense, the oppisite was said for the S60 which makes sense, because they've failed to update it.

I doubt it HIGHLY that the S40 is going to lose it's name and go with the S60, the S40 sells too well, the S60 is long in the tooth and hasn't been updated in over 6 years - a BIG sign of a phase out.
    I don't see why it matters. Might as well start arguing chicken vs egg.
    What is being said is that when the current S60 dies, a new car is being introduced that takes the place of both the S40 and S60.

WHAT it will be called is of little consequence.

Nice analysis, but its wrong.
    The problem w/ the S40 is that it is percieved as too down market to compete w/ the 3 Series and A4's of the world.
    Volvo historically takes time to replace their models.
    The first S40 debuted in Europe in 1995,and wasn't changed until 2004.
    Thats 9 years.
    S80 went 10 yrs
    XC90 will be 8 yrs.
  • s60leasers60leaser Posts: 53
    Hi there
    I am considering buying/leasing a 2008 s40-should I wait for the New redesigned S40/60 combo car/ It looks great in the photoshopped image(LOL) and may be worth extending (UGGGGH) my lease a few months...
    :confuse:
    OPINIONS?
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    I have 38,750 mi on a 2006 which is essentially the same car. No problems and I would gladly purchase it again. It's a T5 AWD and gives 31+ on the highway and 21 around town.Drive one and see if it "fits". If so, I bet you can really get a great deal now. :)
  • volvobuffvolvobuff Posts: 35
    Well, I am looking at it from another point of view. I am presently leasing a 2008 S40 which I really love. I am seriously considering buying it out at lease end so that I don't have to get a bloated S40/60 or deal with the new model shakedown problems that Volvos always seem to have. The current S40 is a mature car with no apparent genetic problems that I am aware of. If I were you, the answer would be a no-brainer -- I'd get the current model in a heartbeat.
    The new S60 isn't due until April 2010
    So, I'd get the current car.