Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• s60leasers60leaser Posts: 53
    Thanks for the feedback-Anyone have an issue with the "Blind Spot" in the current S40? Dealer said "Yes, but you just have to remove the rear headrests and its better..."
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    Yes, mine have been in storage since week one...we do not have backseat riders so no safety issue there.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    For whatever reason, the auto-dimming rear view mirror is larger than the non auto-dimming.
    I feel more comfortable driving the S40 w/ the auto-dimming mirror.
  • volvobuffvolvobuff Posts: 35
    Your question about the blind spot threw me for a loop. I have had a 2008 S40 for six months and never noticed there was a blind spot on the right rear side. I just took my car out for a spin, and I still don't think the car has a blind spot. The small triangular rear window even provides added security and an extended field of vision. I have had any number of cars with RR blind spots that ranged from somewhat annoying to outright dangerous. With the 2008 S40, maybe it is a problem for a shorter or taller driver. I am 6'0" and, as far as I am concerned, the problem doesn't exist.
    Well, I am NOT short! :) but significantly less tall than 6'... :shades: I also asked the dealer about a larger rear view mirror-he said he had never been asked that and had no idea if Volvo even offered one... This is the same dealer who is trying to talk me into an S80 as
    " cheaper than an s40 lease". Somehow I don't think his numbers will add up...
    Is it actually a larger mirror? I asked the dealer about a larger mirror-Said he has never heard of one,...
  • volvobuffvolvobuff Posts: 35
    Actually, they may well add up. I got the same pitch from one dealer when I was shopping for my S40. He had a lot of unsold S80s on his lot that he wanted to move. The current model S80 has never sold well, starting from its introduction, and Volvo has heavily subsidized this model with very aggressive leasing and purchase deals from day one. I test drove all three S80 models and was underwhelmed by all of them. The normally-aspirated 6 is the only cost-effective model, but the transmission was badly matched to the engine performance. The V-8 was the only model with decent performance, but its MSRP is way too high (10K more than the 6) and it provides lousy gas mileage. I would gladly get a large Volvo if it were a decent car, but I just don't think Volvo has the genes to produce a large luxury sedan. My 2008 T5 S40 and 2007 T5 V50 purchases were no-brainers: great cars and decent performance at a reasonable price.
    Actually, the S80 DOES lease for less than the S40.
    You have to get a 3.2 w/out many options.
    The auto dim mirror is the one you want in the S40.
    Thanks-The dealer has now come up with a new S80 deal: $4,000 plus $4250 plus free factory scheduled maintenance or additional discount. I have not heard back from him re: what that means in terms of a mo pymy.
    two questions:
    1) If i lease then want to buy out the lease before it ends, how is the purchase price calculated?
    2) Why is MSRP used to calculate depreciation-and not the sell price, which we all struggle to negotiate!
    I think I may have to move this post over to the s80 lease questions-But thanks for the input!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    1) If i lease then want to buy out the lease before it ends, how is the purchase price calculated?

Typically, remaining payments plus residual.

2) Why is MSRP used to calculate depreciation-and not the sell price, which we all struggle to negotiate!

That's actually in your favor, so don't argue. :)
    For example, you negotiate a $40k car with a 50% residual to $35k. With the residual based on MSRP, you are paying $15k depreciation. If the 50% residual was based on purchase price, it would be $17,500, leaving you paying $17,500, or $2500 more than the first scenario.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

That's actually in your favor, so don't argue.
    Unless you (meaning me) are planning on buying out of the lease early...
    Unless you (meaning me) are planning on buying out of the lease early...

Doing it your way, you would pay more interest. As well as having a higher payment.
    Both of which would increase your buyout costs.
  • Didn't see any exactly appropriate place to post this so here goes- Have a 95 Volvo 940. When you are running above 45 MPH and for extended distances the AC is so cold it freezes you out,. At slow speeds or with stop and start, it becomes just sort of tepid. However, after you have run it 30 minutes or so it seems to stay cold and be OK even if you shut if off for an hour or so- say drs. appt. Seems like it must be pressure or relay related but that's just a guess. Anyone have any ideas?
  • m4336m4336 Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out if a 225/45R17 will substitute for a 205/50R17 on a 2007 S40 T5 AWD. The local dealer can't tell me. Anyone know?
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    The OEM size is 25.1", whereas the new size would be 25.0". Try this neat java tire size calculator out and see for yourself: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It'll be a tad wider, but probably should be fine. You might want to see how much clearance there is when the wheels are turned full lock just to be certain.

-Brian
  • I have a 2001 S40 and it just run over 40K miles. I don't remember if the tires were 35K or 50K. There is no mentioning in the manual. Does anyone know how to find out?

Thanks!
    Well, do the tires look worn?

Tires don't have an expiration date or expiration miles.
    A lot depends on driving habits, weather, tire pressure, vehicle weight and performance.
    If the tread is below 4/32's or the sidewalls look worn down, or there is a lot of cracking in the tire, it's time to change them.
  • I've read different numbers from 1/16 to 3/16 inch or 1.5 mm to 3.5mm.

What's the right number?

Thanks!
    4/32's is equal to 2/16's.
    Which is about 3 MM.
  • You might find the information posted at Tire Fack useful.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp
    Charlie