Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar

Comments

• haulthault Posts: 124
    So far I have 20000 miles. No sign of problems yet. I am now using synthetic oil in engine and intend to change trans fluid and antifreeze at 2yr/20000 intervals. I have a 6/60 extended FORD warranty and intend to trade it prior to warranty expiring.
  • rrmanrrman Posts: 21
    My wife's Windstar will be 4 years old next month. I bought a new Chrysler Concorde for myself recently and after Zainoing it I decided to do the same for her Van. Looks better than new! Dissolved one clay bar in the process.
    The Park to Drive transmission clunk has "always" been with us. A new battery (preventative), radiator flush and fill and the usual oil changes about every 5000 miles has been the only maintenance - except for the "reprogramming" TSB for the stalling problem.
    But after perusing this board, I'm keeping it in my prayers!
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    Glad your 98 is doing well. I have a 98 with 78000 and no problems to date. I do recommend xmission fluid changes every 25k. When I had mine done, mechanic said there was a fair amount of metal shavings. If I had not been changing fluid, I may have had the common xmission problem alot of other owners have had. Good Luck.
  • After reading of all the problems of past models and current models, is there anyone out there who is pleased with their 2002 Windstar?? I have been given a price of $21,150 before taxes, registration etc. Is this a fair price? I requested the standard edition with quad seats and no family entertainment system. If I decide to purchase it, should I get the extended warranty and how much should I expect to pay for it? Thanks in advance. K.
  • Will the Windstar have anything new for 2003?
  • momx2momx2 Posts: 14
    I purchased a new 2002 LX in May. I paid $22,411 with tax, title and tags. I purchased a extended warranty (offered at edmunds). Scroll to message number 564 for more information. My LX has quad seating and the center console for options. It did not have entertainment center, so the dealer discounted the van an additional $995.00. I have not had any problems so far. I like it very much. Hopefully I will have the same opinion in the months and (years?) ahead. After reading the problem list on this board, I purchased a extended warranty for 8 years/100,000 miles.

I test drove a KIA Sedona, it looked nice and was relatively inexpensive. The test drive was horrible, first it had to be jumped started, there was a horrible popping sound when the brake was pressed, the steering wheel shook ( quite obvious even at low speed) and the back seat was broken, it would not lock in properly. It is the first model year out for KIA. Ford was offering the huge $3,000 rebate and I qualified for the costumer loyalty program ($1,500 off) and after they discounted for the lack of entertainment system how could I say no? I bought my van the same day I drove the KIA.
  • haulthault Posts: 124
    Try fordwarrantycentral.com They had best prices. I felt the extended care warranty was the best value. I have a 2000 LX w/20,000 miles. Only problem to date was factory tires sidewall cracking. My tire store helped me. Now I have Michelin Symmetry tires. I suggest trans flush 20,000 mile intervals. It may prolong/save transmission.
  • tmanttmant Posts: 70
    My 2000 Windstar SE has captain's chair in the middle row. You can interchange with the small bench. And if you didn't already know, the third row can be moved into the second row. Or you can get another 3rd row bench and seat 8 people?! Wow, I never thought of that.
  • Anyone have any word on the new Windstar. I guess it will be updated in 04. I am hoping it will have the magic seat and roll down windows like the MPV and since ford owns part of Mazda they should be able to get the technology.
  • flj168flj168 Posts: 12
    I have a '95 Ford Windstar (built 9/94) with 42K original miles that’s garaged 75% of the time. Does anyone know what's the battery life on the original battery? There's no color on the indicator eye on top of the battery, does this mean that I should replace the battery soon?

The batteries sold by Costco are 1/2 the price of Sears' Diehard. What replacement batteries would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Fred
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,879
    I barely got 3 years out of my original Quest battery, and it sounds like yours is indicating that it's near the end of its useful life. I got a replacement at Wal-Mart. If I still had a Costco card, I would have checked there. If you want a Diehard, and your Windstar still cranks fine, wait for a sale - they get marked down regularly.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Is there a link or way I can find out about recalls and problems with windstars that are prepared for dealer service mechanics?
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide lists recalls and summary TSB info,

Steve

Host

• For reasons to complicated to go into I got roped into making a drive this past Saturday that ended up being 800 miles in just over 12 hours. I am just over 59 and I thought those long trips at one shot were long time gone but I have to say the seats in the star were really nice for the trip and I was amazingly fresh when I got done. I have an SE with the lumbar support and it did well. No aches or pains that night or the next day.
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    Also try www.nhtsa.gov
    And sometimes alldata.com has more recent info that either nhtsa or us.

Steve
    Host

• cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    what are people getting? I have a 00 SE and it rarely ever gets over 15mpg in town, our previous 95 ( yeah, yeah, some people are slow learners!) used to get high teens, though it also had IIRC some 30hp less. We also have a 00 Venture which gets 17-18 mpg. Just seems like the 00 Windstar is gobbling up too much gas and my in law drives it very conservatively - to the point she gets pulled over by cops more often than anyone I know for going too slow! - maybe thats the problem, she is never in overdrive!.
  • I do about 22 MPG. That is a combination of highway and local travel, about at 60/40 split. If I get less than 20 I am usually with a full load and both ACs running.
  • almost every car on the road today uses a japanese
    a/cp as most of the other parts, major failures
    after all these years still caused by a redesign
    of compressor head, shaft seal which leaks both
    fluid(gas) and system oil, as trade member
    I have replaced as many 4 pumps under warranty
    before taking heat from vehicle maker, brand was
    not relevant,
    I get on average of 17mpg, mostly bumper to bumper highway driving in Houston.

I can get as high as 24mpg on highway only.

I don't think I ever had a fill-up that gave me <15 mpg.

Could just be the driving conditions.
  • peetertpeetert Posts: 124
    we're looking at getting a 2000 Windstar SE and I'm seeing discrepencies in the invoice pricing shown here on edmunds, kbb and on the forddirect site.

Ex. 2002 SE w/ Family Sec pkg
    edmunds & kbb show 27401
    forddirect shows 27653
    a diff of 252

The TMV on edmunds shows 27473

The MSRP's however match.

If I go in and offer TMV, will they try to say it's less than invoice?

Thanks,

Peeter
    They might, but dealers sell cars for "below invoice" every day. They may make it up in document fee charges, options or lowballing trade-ins, not to mention various manufacturer incentive programs in play that the general public never learns of.

I don't think minivans are moving off the lots like gangbusters these days, so you should be in a pretty strong bargaining position for something close to that TMV price (or even better!).

Steve
    Host

Ford raises incentive offers again

Steve

Host

• nextmoonnextmoon Posts: 386
    The revised minivan is on it's way. This article contains a picture of the Mercury version and I assume a Ford version will debut as well - http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13327#rel

Also, there's an article on the 2004 Ford Windstar at: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13329
  • Anyone know if there's a way to replace the factory installed VCR with a DVD. I know I can plug a DVD into the RCA jacks, but I would like to have a DVD in the c.c. instead of the VCR.
    Thanks
    2004 Pre-Launch Info

I think we'll get an '04 discussion going in Future Vehicles to go with the Monterey one already started there (link)

Steve, Host

• teamoteamo Posts: 2
    Is anybody having problems with blinding glare off the dashboard onto inside of windshield. We are experiencing such glare that we can't see objects in front of us. Shadows reflect back in such a way that we cannot see beyond the windshield itself.
  • I have a 99 SE and have no problems.
    My 2000 SE doesn't have that problem. Does your dash have a rough non reflective type of surface like mine? (gray interior)
  • teamoteamo Posts: 2
    The 2003 Limited we have has the tan colored dash. At this point we have not yet purchased a dash cover but plan to. We talked to a lady today that told us that tan was the worst color for reflective glare....she suggested a darker dash cover. Any thoughts anyone?