Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar

Comments

• I have in my hand, Ford TSB 99-13-1 dated 6/28/99 on Engine oil mixed with coolant/coolant loss. Its a three page document if anyone needs more info on it, they can email me at Rooneyms@aol.com with a fax number and I can fax it to you.

It covers the 96-97 Thunderbird, 96-98 mustang, WINDSTAR, 97-98 E150,f250,f150 and 96-97 cougar.

"Issue
    Engine coolant may be leaking into the engine oil on some vehicles. The internal coolant leak may be difficult to identify. This may be caused by the lower intake manifold side gaskets and/or front cover gaskets allowing coolant to pass into the cylinders and/or the crankcase.

Action
    Revised lower intake manifold side and front cover gaskets have been released for service. Refer to the following text and Application Chart for details"

I've talked with a mechanic at Ford who says the intake gasket was redesigned with this fix because it wasn't able to withstand the heat. If you redesign something, doesn't that mean the first one wasn't designed properly? And shouldn't anyone who has to replace an engine because of this error, be reimbursed? (I know, I'm talking to the choir) It sounds like this may be Verse 2 of the head gasket problem. It may answer why the 96/97 Windstar are having problems even after the head gasket was redesigned.
  • tmanttmant Posts: 70
    I replaced my oil with 5 quarts and it is very close to the center of the min and max marks, which was where the oil level was with the original oil. I have a 2000 Windstar SE with the 3.8L engine.
  • I guess it depends on the dealer you go to. If you come in with invoice prices, you will get a good price. I requested info from Ford's web site from a local dealer. In an hour, the dealer called me and gave me a price of $100 over invoice. I had been talking with another dealer who had quoted me $300 over and he met the price. THEN, I said, let's lease it. We went thru the numbers together on the computer. No hassles. Just gotta get the right deal I guess!
  • I hear the Ody guys say how meaningful the MSRP on the Honda is. If that is the case, why do the Honda dealers play the same games as any other dealer?? They low ball you on your trade. They try to add options. And if possible, they try to sell you at or above MSRP.

Ford low balls you on your trade. They try keep you far from invoice and they want to add options where possible.

Doesn't sound that much different to me.

Now, if you walk into the Ford dealer invoice prices in hand, put in a reasonable offer, you walk out with a low hassle deal as mentioned above. And if you walk into Honda and willingly pay MSRP, again it's a low hassle deal.

Again, not much difference to me.
  • Good luck with your Windstar. I hope you got my email regarding your decision and my experiences with the Windstar. Do you have any idea why the van had 25,000 miles on a 1999 and was traded in? Was it a lease maybe or demo? Again, good luck and keep us posted on how things go for you.
    Heidi
  • The bottom line is always important. I would like to know if, on the average, the price of a WS is on/slightly over/way over the invoice price. Or does this have more to do with the old supply and demand. Info I am looking for a 00 LX, but I want to know what people are paying before I go to the dealer.

Thanks James
  • The bottom line is always important. I would like to know if, on the average, the price of a WS is on/slightly over/way over the invoice price. Or does this have more to do with the old supply and demand. Info I am looking for a 00 LX, but I want to know what people are paying before I go to the dealer.

Thanks James
  • tmanttmant Posts: 70
    I don't know where you are shopping for your Ford, but here is Houston, just about every dealer has an internet sales staff. I was able to get my 2000 SE at invoice (plus the other typical fees) of around $25500 with delivery.

Just call and ask for their internet department!
  • I have a 96 windstar and I need to put brake fluid in, but the reservior is back by the firewall under the big black plastic shelf. How do I put some in????
  • My wife got an unplanned Xmas present this week when the tranny on her '91 Camry died. Time to upgrade to a minivan. The arrogance of Honda dealers on the Odyssey is offensive..."We'll arrange a test drive, but you must commit in advance to buying the vehicle." If the Odyssey is such a hot vehicle, how come they can't seem to produce very many? So, upon recommendations from a couple other Windstar owners (who haven't had any more or fewer repairs than fellow Toyota/Honda owners), we bought a 2000 SE from Jerry's Ford in Leesburg, VA. MSRP was $31,035 including various options and destination. I offered $27,000--$150 over invoice, including the $500 rebate. They took it without further discussion.

Tom
  • My name is jeff Blankenship and I live in Champaign, IL.

I just bought a '98 Windstar GL in October and this is the closest thing to an owner's forum/web site I've found so far. I'm looking forward to reading all the things you all have to say and hopefully share some useful info with you as well.

The van had 36k on it and needed rotors and drums turned and the tranny Neutral TSB done (after several useless attempts by the selling dealer to dodge the bullet), but Ford and the dealer agreed to cover the cost of the repairs and for now the van is everything I hoped it would be. I did fairly exhaustive shopping and think I got the cream of the crop on all counts, best year of the best van on the market. Honda's new van was second place in my opinion. Nice, but try getting your hands on one, used is even more rare than a new one. New they were about $12k out of my price range.

Thats all for now, but I'll be sure to pop in again soon.
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    You can get funnels with 12 to 18 inch rubber hoses already attached from auto stores. These will bend to the shape you need to get to the reservoir. Once you you use it for brake fluid wash it thoroughly or better yet don't use it for other car fluids, so they don't mix.
  • Anyone have to wait this long for a 2000 SEL? I was told it would take 6-8 weeks and it is now going on 11 weeks. If I wanted to back out the deal, can I get my deposit back or can they keep it?

Thanks,

jeff
  • Anyone have to wait this long for a 2000 SEL? I was told it would take 6-8 weeks and it is now going on 11 weeks. If I wanted to back out the deal, can I get my deposit back or can they keep it?

Thanks,

jeff

Thanks,

jeff
  • I just took delivery of a 2000 Windstar LX, four-door, standard bench seats in rear, no entertainment system. Bought it at invoice (no $200 processing fees), by the way. It did not come with floor mats despite the Ford brochure that said that floormats ("front and rear") are "standard." The dealer says he will rectify the situation, but what am I entitled? My questions are: (1) how many mats should I have gotten "standard" without ordering option 167 (floor mats); and (2) how many mats go with option 167?

I have called parts departments of various dealers to inquire what is a standard set and got answers ranging from 4 to 6 (driver, passenger, short second row, long third row, passenger side entrance and cargo area). Not all identified the last two pieces. It seems that nobody knows for sure.

I would appreciate hearing from 1999-2000 Windstar owners about their floormats.
  • I am about to lease a Windstar LX. I have a 2500$ out of pocket and a 321$ a month payment. It has 4 doors, rt. door electric, privacy glass, floor console, comfort group, overhead console, 3.8 engine. I am leasing at Able Ford, Rockville Centre, NY. Does anybody have any advice or feel whether or not this is a good deal? Thank you.
    -Galigirl31
  • I guess I should
    have mentioned that I get 15K miles on that
    lease,which would be fine for me. Also, it is a
    2000 model van. I was wondering if the numbers
    sounded good.
    Thanx again
    Galigirl31
  • markianmarkian Posts: 17
    Does anyone have experience with adding a remote starter to their Winstar. Can this be installed with a factory order or should it be installed subsequent to delivery.
  • I am considering a 2000 Windstar with the Class II towing option. I need to tow an enclosed snowmobile trailer that is loaded to about 2000 lbs. Does anyone have experience with the towing option they can share?