Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar

Comments

• I have a '95 Windstar 3.8L that has a what sounds like a bad rod bearing. I would like to replace the engine with a used one. Can anyone tell me if this engine interchanges with any other makes or models and years? I talked to someone that said it was a "ONE YEAR WONDER". I'm not sure what that means.
  • get rid of any Ford vehicle you may have. I have a 98 windstar and paid over 28K for it. replaced transmission at 50,000, the rack and pinion at 48,000 miles and rack and pinion once more at 69,000 miles. GET RID OF IT ! and buy any japanese vehicle.
  • Hello Alex,

I am sorry you have a FORD... we Americans still haven't figured out how the Japanese get to make much better cars. FORD make crapy cars... if I were you I would fix the steering (I just replaced the whole rack and pinion system and bought the part myself for $108). The lasbor to replace it was $230. Take my advice: get ride of your Windstar and buy a japanese car.

Regards,

Nour
  • Hey, what the hell is wrong with Fords? My mom has a 98 windstar w/ 138,000 miles on it and has no problems with it other than the check-engine light, she does 90 mph. on all the highways too. :-)

By the way the fastest factory reproduced car is a Ford, (new ford gt) stock it does 212 mph. :)

p.s. Never buy a Honda civic....worst cars ever made(too many of them, they should all die)
  • Anyone have the procedure for changing the engine air filter?
  • jim84jim84 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Windstar LX van. Lately since the weather is getting chilly I turned on the heater the other day and the blower continued to blow cold air. I changed the thermostat and it still continues to blow cold air. I've bee told there is either a vacuum valve or an electric valve that is not opening causing this, or maybe a fuse. Could someone give me some information?
  • fabdulfabdul Posts: 5
    I have a 98 windstar that has a ABS light on and when ever i turn it shuts off. Please help??? 404-428-1874
  • when I come to stop , to make aleft or right turn ,my 98 windstar ,seams to have apower surge and will leap forward , nearly causes a accident . this has happen several times the ford dealer hasn't seen this before
  • Hi all,

I have a 99 Windstar SE (3.8L) with an ongoing list of problems. CEL on with P0171, P0174 codes. Passenger side power sliding door will open by power, but must be closed manually, rear heat & a/c intermittent at best. When engaged, traction control growls like a mountain lion.

Looking at the threads, these items win nothing for originality. However, here's one that might. Occasionally, all the gauge needles will start whipping back & forth, pegging to left & right, top & bottom. All gauges - speedo, tach, fuel, & temp all do it at the same time. Might go on just a few seconds, or a few minutes. Might happen several times a day, or once every few days. Any ideas? Kinda spooky. Considering calling a priest for an exorcism.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    Check you brake system's master cylinder to see if it is leaking onto electrical wires.
  • Get your Windstar to a dealer. There is a TSB on the "P0171, P0174" issue . Have a look here
  • I just bought a 98 Windstar and it doesnt have a keyless remote. Does all 98 Windstars have a keyless remote, or was it an option? If it was, how do I know if mine has one? Also, to have a spare key made, do I need a special type key?
    Jeff.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Not sure about '98s, but on my 1997 it looks like keyless remote entry was a stand alone option.

Maybe Ford and/or Ford dealer can find out if yours had it based on the VIN???

I have had key made at hardware store for my 1997, there was nothing special about it.
  • Our Windstar was in an accident and had repair to the left front.. Now the horn doesn't work. I've checked the fuse - it's OK. I heard of a relay by the drivers left foot, but haven't found it yet. Honestly I think it's not plugged in but I can't find the horn! Could someone tell me where it's supposed to be, maybe they forgot to put it back!! :mad:
  • I have a 99 Windstar LX that did the same thing before the speedometer finally quit working. At the time it quit working, my son had borrowed it for a trip and I told him to take it to the nearest Ford dealer and tell them to fix it. When I went to pick it up they had replaced the instrument module, which they said was the only way to fix the speedometer, and the bill was $609.89. I had to pay for it because I had not asked for an estimate, etc.. Hope you have better luck.
  • jnojno Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?
  • hey.. great to find this site.. question about the tansmission on a 96 ford windstar.. bought it used about 5 years ago.. nothing but headaches from the engine lite going on to the brake line rotting out to the airconditioner never working electrical screwed up.. anyways the transmission starting not kicking in when i started to go after a stop lite.. i would press on the gas the car would move reall slow.. the engine would rev hugely then it would catch and i would be a rocket.. had a transmission change of the fluid.. no good.. is it worth putting a new or used one in or is it good for planting flowers... have parked it for six monthis with new tired new brakes and rotors new everyting but the tranny... help...
  • no not yet.. been looking at the other threads about the transmission..looks like maybe not that but every other sensor or something... ive now been told that now that i have sat it since april when i drove it acrosse town the brakes were grinding... god what next.. looks great.. no rust but im thinking a for sale sign is going on but dont know how much to ask... thank god ive got off the ford train..gmc is for me....
  • I have the same problem here. Looking forward to some comments :)
  • How do I know if my 99 Windstar has a rack and pinion problem?