Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Easy, just picture the VW Pheaton with some slight changes and there you have the next A8, or the Audi Avatissimo Concept car. The Audi is destined to look better than the already good looking Pheaton, inside and out.

http://www.germancarfans.com/photos.cfm?PhotoID=3020523.002

http://www.audiworld.com/ (you'll have to search for the Avatissimo on this site)

M

• l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    thats a pretty nice VW. I've also been thinking about an A8L, but I'm going to hold off and see what the next redesigned model has to offer.

Does anyone know when this VW is available in the states?

thanks,
    Well VW is saying next July, but knowing them and their terrible product launch history I 'd say early 2004.

On a different note I rode past the VW store around here, and I don't see how they'll be able to sell a 70K car. VW must have a dealer revamp plan in the works??? Anyone know?

M
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    Can't wait for to see the car in person but I think the back looks like a little VWish but overall a very nice design. Elegant yet sporty. And my gosh that interior is beautiful. I love the fact the screen can be set to close in the dash. Makes for a much more elegant look. BMW 745 is a dead duck with this car in the market and it will even pull people like me with a MB E500 on order. I will take a look and perhaps make a trade if it is a larger car with E500 driving dynamics. Wow.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    Got a question since you are a huge German car fan. If you take a look at the interior pics of the Audi A8 on Germancarfans.com and read the specs is that nob by the shiftgate similar to the I-drive?
    Very, but Audi is promising easier more "logical" operation. Plus with the new A8 you still get most of the traditional "buttons" to bypass the MMI system. If Audi's current Nav system is anything to go by it should be easier than i-drive and Comand. Man I really love that interior though! It's official to me, Audi easily makes the best interirors of the German makes, and arguably the best in the world. I'm going to have to find out some names of their interior designers.

M
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    dull.

not the splash it needed to be. Doesn't have near the presence of the Avantissimo concept.

not bad, bad not stunning.........the Phaeton is nicer on the exterior.

Wow, the Germans miss the mark with the 7 series and now the A8...at least they didn't screw up the E class.
    I was kinda thinking the Phaeton looks a little better, too, but the Audi's interior smokes the VW's. I'll withhold final judgement until I can see both...Audis tend not photograph well...the current A8 looks a lot better in the metal than it does in pics.

M
    the production a8 lacks the muscular stance of the Avantissimo.....and the lowboy console reminds me of 70's GM cars.....the A4 is so nice.....
  • h1vch1vc Posts: 295
    Can those with the optional solar panel moonroof tell me how good they are at cooling the interior? Thanks.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Posts: 110
    I am starting my search for a nice used A8 or S8. I would like to hear from some S8 owners about the ride. I am sure the handling is fantastic but how is the ride? Is it much rougher than the A8? Also, what colors were offered in the S8? I don't want black. Also considering a 7 series BMW and would like to be convinced to buy the Audi. Thanks.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I you want to stand a chance at finding owners of an S8 best to ask these questions at audiworld.com
    Nice. Well you can't say Audi isn't trying. If there one luxury car in high-end class that is truly "different" it is the A8.

M
    And the more I look at it, the more handsome it becomes. VW/Audi truly knows how to do the consertively sexy styling:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/a8launch/

M

• the console controls are right where you want to put all your stuff. what exactly was wrong with having controls up higher on the dash.....?

I think this is a trend thing to be like idrive or something. Renders the center console kinda useless.
  • and the exterior lacks the pop of the avantissimo.

still, I would love to own this all aluminum car.
  • and yeah, on a hot day, the water condensing on your cruiser cup sitting in that high cupholder will drip all over those fancy controls on the console.
  • Although it doesn't have the Avantissimo's avant-guard style, I think I'll be putting my order in soon, biggest decision will be whether or not to wait for the S8 and what options will you loose.

http://www.germancarfans.com/News.cfm?NewsID=2020903.001

For the first comparison of the A8 vs the S500 and 745i, see the Nov issue of CAR Magazine. The A8 won, and surprise the 745i was ranked last, with of course the S500 in the middle.

M
  • Anyone have any advice on brakes for my 1999 A8? It has about 35,000, and the squeal is incredible. Any good aftermarket pads? They tell me my pads and rotors are like new. I am willing to put new pads on, but shutter at the price of rotors. One shop is suggesting Raybestos. Any help??
    no buzz about the new a8?
  • I'm waiting for it to arrive in the US. Hope that all the good options make it (lighting , etc) but not sure. I'm putting a deposit down on an S8 once i get a delivery time frame.
    hmmmmmm, anyone see the S-class redo? Basically a new front end, and an interior redesign that is not much different. I saw pics of those in Top Gear mag....

New BMW 7 series is an egg. Boy did they lay a big turd with the idrive, heinous styling and all......

So the BMW challenger is down, the S class update is not significantly different....(the new E class will steal sales from the S class anyways).

Time for a big increase in sales of the new a8???

Wait! New Jag XJ is out, aluminum body which they claim is superior construction methods to the A8 aluminum body.....the new Jag is about as light as a typical mid size sedan (not sure if it will ger AWD eventually) but it looks luxurious and stylish and promises performance.....Are the Jag and new a8 the cars to watch in the upper luxury segment?
    I would have predicted huge sales gains for the new A8 in the U.S. this time around if it weren't for that big VW competing in the same space. The Jaguar XJ8 will never be a "volume" player in the segment because not everyone wants a car that wears it's styling so outwardly. The Jaguar still can't match tech with the Germans either.

The funny thing about the BMW 7-Series is that for all the complaining about it's styling and Idrive, it just wrapped up it's best sales year ever in the U.S.

M
    That new Jag is sooooo purty though and so many hundreds of pounds lighter.......

S class is sooooooo dull........
  • I thought the A8 and Phaeton would compete more closely price-wise. But the press keeps quoting the Phaeton at $62K and the A8, depending on who you are reading is significantly more (in the car magazine quotes, that is).

The reality may be that they are very close -- but the press is doing a job of confusing the issue somewhat, making the VW "cheaper" than the early early press reports had stated.

Time will tell.

The A8 keeps looking better and better though.

But, I love my 03 allroad -- and although the A8, in 1997 was the best Audi I had ever had (and I have had over two dozen), the allroad is NOW the best one.

They just keep makin' em better!