Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8

Comments

• mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Ditto your comments plus I know how to work on them.
  • as a possible option for my next car purchase. If any of you here could shed light on the new A8 for me, that would be great. I am quite fond of the car from the looks but, I am cautious because the car is an Audi and they have had problems in the past. I am also considering the S430 and the XJ. So, to any of those out there with a new MY04 A8, it would be great to hear your experience with the car so far. Thanks in advance:)
  • . . .so I do not relate to the "because it is an Audi comment."

I must tell you that ANY of these high buck European cars must never be possesed out of warranty, unless you have a printing press that creates $20 bills.

This characterization from one point of view is accruate if stated without the name Audi or is most accurate when stated "high buck European cars" instead of simply inferring that Audi is alone in this regard.

Make no mistake, I am not saying that the spirit of what you are implying is untrue, merely that it is not limited to Audi. I would have no greater or lesser concerns with a Bimmer or a Merc or a Jag, etc.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    I completely agree. Never, I repeat, NEVER keep a high end (S-Class, 7Series A8 etc..) car past the warranty on the car. The costs become huge because the cars are getting so complex. I know of one associate that had to replace the COMAND system in the S and it cost $6600US total and a friend who had a 2001 7 series had a minor bump with his garage door and the bumper repair with the sonar parking system cost $3100US. These cars are very expensive long term if things go wrong.
  • orienteoriente Posts: 44
    In response to 300eguy05 and others, I am considering the new A8; however, I will wait for the standard model to come along, I believe A8N is the designation. I trust Audi USA will be importing it sometime in 2004. The N is nearly 500 lbs lighter, which translates into faster, less gas, better handling, etc., albeit less expensive.
    In any case, if one plans to keep the car past 4 yrs, one should consider an Extended Warranty. I seem to recall my Credit Union offering 7yr/100k mi for just over $2K. By the way, this was the same for the BMW 7, but I could not find anyone at the time that would offer extended warranty on the XJ8, a bad reflection on the Jaguar quality.
  • fennfenn Posts: 197
    I have not heard anything about Audi bringing the the regular wheelbase A8 to the U.S. I also was told that the fantastic new S8 version may not make it to the U.S either. I wish that they had brought the regular wheelbase version in!

Jaguar offers extended warranties for XJ8's. I am not sure about your credit union's offerings, but I am wary of aftermarket independent warranties.

With respect to Jaguar quality, it has improved greatly over the past five or six years. I saw a recent magazine rating that rated certified Jaguar resales with the lowest problem ocurrence of any certified used luxury vehicles, including MB and BMW.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I too seriously doubt they'll bring over the short-wheelbase A8. The only A8 model that will ride on the short-base will be the next S8. But anything is possible and if A8 buyers ask they'll do it, because the current A8L has been found to be too big for some.

M
  • ksurgksurg Posts: 48
    I too wish that the standard A8 or S8 were available. Unfortunately my horizon is too short to hold out. So I'll probably buy an A8L.
    As for the S8 I wonder what engine will be used. I've heard speculation ranging from a super charged 4.2 to a W-12 and even a modified V-10 borrowed from the Carrera GT(perhaps designated an R8). Too bad this things are industry secrets.
    I looked for the S8 in the Audi home site (Germany) and could not find it, so I conclude it still does not exist.
    One interesting thing I noticed at the referenced web site is the large number of exterior colors available on the A8, most of them at extra cost, though. I bet we (USA)will be offered only a few.
    As for the short base A8N making it to the USA, there is a strong indication I believe in the Autoweek web site that it will happen, possibly followed by the S8, but not as likely.
    Well thats true there is no S8 right now. Expect it to be shown sometime during 2004, along with the A8 W12.

M
    Further in support of the A8N coming soon, below is a quote from Motor Trend Future Vehicles site:

"2005 Audi A8: Less-expensive short-wheelbase model joins the A8 L. A high-performance S8 may follow."
    That goes against what Audi has said, so we'll just have to see. The S8 will definitely be a swb model, but I doubt if a regular A8 model will appear in that configuration, according to what AUDI said upon intro of the new A8.

M
    I'm with Merc1 on this one. So far Audi denies plans to introduce the A8 in any forms other than the A8L and eventually the S8. That may reflect the fact that the previous A8L outsold the SWB A8 by a wide margin. I also wonder if the upcoming VW Phaeton may be influencing the marketing strategy.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    If you happen to have the 2004 brochure you'll notice a few photos of the SWB model. Yet there is no mention of it. It's strange - why would Audi place those photos?
    I have the brochure but am not sure which pictures you're referring to. Regardless, the SWB version is available in Europe( mind you with several different engines included a diesel option). You ever wonder why we're the last to see some of these cars!
    It's funny but I thought the Phaeton should have been sold as a swb model, it doesn't look as balanced as the A8L does.

M
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I actually do not have the brochure anymore. But near the back (I'm doing this from memory so I may be off) there is a two-page spread shwoing the car from the side. There's also another one-page photo of the car showing the rear and the side near the very back. If you look at the length of the back door and window compared to other photos in the brochure it is clear they are showing the SWB.

I hope this helps clarify things. I'll see if I can get another brochure and provide exact page numbers.
  • And, I called my Audi VW buddy today -- price out a loaded A8 -- it will be about $11,000 more than a "comparable" Phaeton.

Now, I don't want to get into an argument here -- and since I've never driven (only seen pictures and read text) a Phaeton, my comments are completely without basis, but: it seems like the Phaeton with the Audi 4.2L V8 and a lot of the features "standard" that will be optional on an A8L and a huge price difference -- (and the Audi advantage service model) -- well it would make me at least test drive the Phaeton if I were in the market for a full size V8 all wheel drive vehicle.

But, that's just me, I could be wrong.

The Phaeton will be $64K in V8 guise. I tarted up an A8L on the audiusa web site and it went zoom to $75k without even trying.

Things are getting interesting.

And, despite the cries of VW's dealer body is in search of a clue with regard to customer service, well, I still have fond memories of VW.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Posts: 139
    Mark,

do you really expect the Phaeton to sell? We have VW and Audi, and quite frankly we really don't want the Phaeton. I've seen and driven both cars and sold a bunch of A8's; very nice, very similar inside, Phaeton a little more Benz-like in ride, even with adjustments, A8L can be either one (BMW or Benz). In my opinion, the Phaeton's weight hurts; its ugly from the rear...........if you had the choice, one or the other for 50 dollars a month, what are you gonna drive?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    A8. thanks for asking.
  • . . .but even this might not be fair, I haven't driven the Phaeton. But if the diff is $11K, why again will the Audi only be $50 more per month?

I root for VW, I have owned a Jetta and a Quantum and a BMW 325 -- and 25 Audis. I dunno, maybe this march up market by VW will not work.

The thing is that supposedly only 4% of current Audi owners will cross over (that doesn't mean cross shop, however, I suspect).

I am not in the market for a Mercedes either -- I will test a Phaeton for the "fun of it." And, after having owned an A8 for nearly 50,000 miles a couple of cars back, I can remark, the A8L is larger than I want even if the priced dropped $30,000. My A8 was $1,000 a month on the lease payment; my first A6 4.2 was a high $900 month number -- the reason for the switch, I wanted a smaller car but still wanted a V8.

Perhaps folks will not cross shop and the cross buy will not happen. But why wouldn't you want the Phaeton he wondered out loud?

And, given the fact that it is obviously coming, you certainly are "rooting" for it to succeed aren't you?

But, the only car -- at this point -- that is "that big" that even remotely gets my attention is the not yet here -- the S8. I always hoped for an S6 non-avant to come to the US. Did I get one, nope, the S6 avant only came here -- and $80K+ for an RS 6 with depreciation that will sink faster than the Titanic -- heck, my 2.7T 6spd allroad came with 2 speeding tickets in the glove box (just to save me time) as it was.

Where was I? Oh yea -- for $50 bucks a month, I'd definately take the Audi.

I'm an excellent driver.
    I hope it does well, but its no A8.

We got our first Oyster Grey last week, sweet car.
  • . . in cars that are that far apart in MSRP?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    how does the lease work out....no one BUYS a car that costs that much...and usually their business will lease it for them anyways.......at least part of it.
    The difference in price isn't 11k....more like 4-5 with options. A8 has better residual so the payments will be pretty close..
  • . . .for every $1K diff the Audi costs about $10/month more? And, sorry, I thought the Phaeton would be $64K and a comparably equipped A8 would be $75K -- I have not seen a configurator for the Phaeton and backed into the number by looking at the Phaeton web site and using Audi's on-line configuration software.

The residual makes sense.
    I configured one at 70 and change, roughly 4500 less than the A8 sitting next to my desk. With the difference in residual, money factor, etc...the payment might be 80 bucks less. That said, I'd still buy the A8L; when you're looking at payments that expensive, whats 1079 vs 999? It won't break you.
  • Based on what I know and what I want, the A8 would be my hands down choice.

See Car and Driver comparo.
    I have some pretty cool pics of the ASF and the timochenko tubes from the launch. I don't want to bore anyone with a slide show, so let me know if you really wanna see them.
  • $698 month, 36 months, 10K miles per year, $65K MSRP, $1995 cap cost reduction required, $575 acquisition fee, $0 sec dep.

This, regardless of the fact that the Audi A8L is the more sporting of the two, is an agressive deal.

Same ad, Jaguar "X" for 39 months $299/mo., with a similar cap cost reduction requirement and no sec dep, bla bla bla.

The times they are interesting.
This discussion has been closed.