Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8

Comments

• Things seem to be a little slow here. You will get better results on the www.audiworld.com site, go to the A8 forum. $36,900 for a low miles '99 is a good deal! Good Luck!
  • pjn2pjn2 Posts: 2
    I posted ? on the AM radio a few months ago. It finally was solved by the dealer (under war) when they replaced the arial assembly. Works fine now.

They also just replaced the tranny in my car - also under warranty. It shifted funny between 4-5, slipping a bit. And it did something very odd at high speeds (+70) when I let up on the accelerator. It kind of thumped, let go briefly. Wierd. Service mgr couldn't believe it either and they changed chip several times, went back and forth w the factory, etc. Finally they just swapped it out. Solved the main mechanical problems but since they changed the chip it still acts odd when in 5th gear. It still shifts weird, even w the new tranny. I'll have to take it back again. This is my 6th Audi and I've never had problems before. I love this car, but this problem is getting tiring.
  • acelinkacelink Posts: 106
    Anyone know where I can see the pictures of 2003 A8 on the web? Thanks.
  • We have a 1998 Audi A8 with 52,000 miles. Other than rotor warpage, taken care of by Audi, and sorry Goodyear tires when new, it has been an excellent high performance sedan. Good fuel economy on the open highway, 23 to 24 mpg at 80+, and reasonable around town, 17. This is the type of car that quietly sneaks up on folks and is extremely competent. I recommend switching to Michelin or Pirelli if your Audi has the Goodyears, the difference in handling is incredible. Also highly recommend Gerald of Audi Service at Don McGill Audi, now Advantage Audi in Houston, Texas, he knows how to take care of the car and the customer.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Thanks for that post. This topic on what is one of my favorite cars, was dying. The recent Avantissimo concept shows the direction the A8 is headed. It will be an awesome machine.

M
  • I have tested a lot of cars and owned a lot of cars. It seems that the only car to own for luxury, performance and some class is the A8. A current review liked the 750 better, but there is to much "stigma" associated with Beemers here in L.A. I've owned 4 Audis in the past, and look forward to another.

The best deal seems to be a previously owned 2000 A8, with the latest improvements. Anyone know if the 2000's had the Hot option with the solar sunroof/ air exchange system and insulated glass?

Also - for a very active A8 forum, please see the one on the Audiworld site. Don't know why this one is so slow - the A6 forum is very active here. I guess we are just too exclusive.
  • my 2000 A8 had the warm weather package which included insulated glass, solar sunroof/air exchange system. The A8 is by far the best high performance sedan in the world. I regrettably have just sold mine, but will be ordering a new S8 when the next generation comes out.
  • aimanaiman Posts: 61
    and the topic dies once again....
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    No....No....NO...........

M
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Posts: 110
    I am trying to decide between a late model used A8 and a 740i or iL. Would appreciate feedback from A8 owners. Lots of information available from 7 series owners as compared to A8 owners. Particular problem areas and modely years would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • aimanaiman Posts: 61
    as a non-owner, I suggest you to go with the A8. A8 is rare, and look waay cooler inside/out than bmw.
  • The A8 is quicker and more sporty than the il. And because most drivers don't know what an A8 there is the fun of surprising riders with its ability to cruise, uneventfully at super legal speeds.

The front rotors have been a problem but Audi has taken care of any issues. The original Goodyears were sorry, now replaced by Michelins. You will enjoy the Audi.
  • When looking at the A8 ask to visit with the service manager and see how they react to the customer. Our dealership treats us very well and always has a loaner car available. They go above and beyond the call of duty.
  • By far the best sport sedan on the market. 2000 saw an increase in hp and decrease in weight (more aluminum used throughout), so they're a little quicker. Most definitely by whichever of these from a reputable dealer as these are both frighteningly complex and expensive cars to own and maintain. Brakes were the reason for my separation from my beloved '00 A8. I'd make sure the car was under Audi Advantage if at all possible. Also see if you can pull service records to see what's been done. FYI my 2000 was sold (traded) for $39,500 with 40k miles in excellent shape and loaded (nav, phone, warm weather, cold weather, premium sound, comfort, xenons, everything) so I'd look for a '00 if at all possible. Take advantage of the rather high depreciation due to this spectacular cars unrealized potential in the US.
  • garybsigarybsi Posts: 5
    Wife and I took an A8 for a test spin last weekend. Started with the A6 and then the 8. Unbelievable experience, disguised and well kept secret.
    I was looking at the Lexus after listening to my Lexus friends drivel, but after driving an A8 I think my mind is made up. In the snow belt everyone with the Lexus complains about the rear wheel drive. Not a problem with the Audi.
    As technoligically advanced the Audi is, my only complaint was that there is no automatic turn off for the headlights when you exit the car ( even Chevy has that feature). I find that amazing when you consider all the other toys the 8 has to offer. Not a major problem but it really surprised me it was missing.
    The dealer was even surprised that it wasn't either standard or an option for the Audi.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Did you try the A6 4.2 by any chance? One of the fellows on the boards has owned both it and the A8 and seems to prefer the A6 4.2.
  • bertram60bertram60 Posts: 113
    One of the reasons I loved my A8 was that is was a wonderful little secret. It's both the upside and down side. I had more than one person get in my A8 and start drooling, then we'd go for a drive. It is by far one of the most competent vehicles on the road.

The A6 4.2 is also a tremendous vehicle, albeit somewhat smaller inside. If you need the space of an A8 (as i believe only the long wheelbase models are around other than the S8) that go for it. If space is not a priority you should look into the A6 4.2.

Happy Hunting!
    mbnut1, I did drive the A6 TT but found the seats a little short for my legs. Considering the fact that I am need the extra length in the legs from the hip to the knee I am opting to get the A8. Other than that, i thought the A6 TT is quite a nice vehicle. In my opinion, the A8 is much better than any MB I have driven.
  • automan227automan227 Posts: 118
    I have had my 1998 A8 4.2 for about a year now. I picked it up Audi Assured about a year ago. Since that time, there have been no really major problems with the car and love the car. Could just used a little more power....pre owned s8 here I come.

Anyway I thought I would just clarify some of the problems that other owners have had and that I had.

1) Radar detectors/garage door openers not working. This is caused because of the fact that the body is all aluminum and that until 2000 the A8 was manufactured with a windshield that had lots of metal in it therefore causing such devices not to work. I even had to get a handsfree phone kit so that I could use my cellphone in the car, because otherwise I would not get a signal.

2) Transmission shifting in a funny way.
    The A8 is equipped with a feature known as Adaptive Learning which learns your "driving habits" and then...well...tries to adapt to it to get the best gas mileage. My service manager told me to bring the car in and he could fix the shifiting problem. As he did it (let me watch) he explained to me this whole adaptive learning system. When he gave me the car back he said that the problem should be gone, but that I will notice a minor loss in gas mileage. Sure enough when I got back in the car and put my foot down on the gas, the thing flew forward- Something which I was not expecting since I had gotten used to that other shifting pattern.

Since then I have had basically no problems reliability wise.

Hope this helps any perspective buyers.

AS
    I recently ordered a new A8L 2003 for delivery in October. In view of the fact that the A8 will experience a re-do in the summer of '03, I am wondering what the effect will be on the current body styling when the new style hits the market next summer.
    I visited another dealer this week and they were willing to knock $3000 off the list price which I felt was inadequate for a car that is going to have a make over next summer.

What thoughts do any of you have about the pricing for the current model in view of the make over. If I purchase a new A8L I am somewhat concerned about the depreciation issue in view of the changeover. That leaves Option "B" - leasing.
    The new pricing schedule is out for the '03 and Audi apparently has put together a $1950 package which includes the Navigation System, Front and Rear Parktronic, Tire pressure Monitoring System and 17" forged wheels with All season tires. The Solar sunroof option remained at $850 as an option. The effect is a $1490 savings over the '02 model for those options.

Also, does anyone have any idea of what the "new" body style will be, or where it can be seen?

Thanks,