Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8

Comments

• dgintzlerdgintzler Posts: 1
    How many times does an Audi A8 owner have to replace the MMI unit in his car after the dealer blames him for reason number 3 on the "its your fault" list of Audi Corps. Excuse du jour list. The favorite is "You spilled coffee in it" or its variation, "There was a stickey substance on the pc board"
    I am not amused when the MMI lights up like a Xmas tree. The first time they replaced the board "as a goodwill gesture, the second time they nicked me 600 bucks (and I don't think they replaced the whole unit). Now its happened again, 3 times in 9 months. How many others have had this same experience?
  • greenie7greenie7 Posts: 12
    As a member of one of the Audi forums, I have read similar accounts concerning the MMI. A number of owners have complained of sticking buttons and one fellow actually trashed his unit by accidentally spilling coffee on it. Is your problem software or hardware related?
    Hey paldi, does an A8L qualify???
    Yep, the issue is an overly-teched car. Its the same issue Mercedes is having with their cars!
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    Wow, you're harsh for an obvious Lexus or Toyota owner. BTW, I own a Lexus, too. And, it's been 3.5 weeks since I got my S4. There have been no problems, Mr. Know-It-All. People like you are so stereotypical of cars. To you, 'If it's German, it breaks', and 'If it's American, it sucks', and 'If it's Italian, it really breaks.' Oh yeah, 'If it's Japanese, it's good.' Forgot that one. Now, where is your information to back up that I'm going to be "tied-up in something with tech problems"? And, it's $62K. Audi's are less than BMWs, you know. It's not their first attempt at something, either. I don't know if you're talking about me having an A8, which I don't, or an S4 Cabriolet, which I do. But, this is not their first time with a sports car/convertible. They're experienced with use of their 4.2 V8, and they know how to work the A4 Cabriolet.

I haven't seen one new Audi in the shop when I go there for a checkup on my car, by the way. That's more of Mercedes's frequent pose, and I recently saw an E-Class on the back of a tow truck.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    There is no reason to turn different viewpoints into personal issues. Let's just stick to the cars and leave our opinions of each other by the side of the road ...
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210
    Sure greenie, though any silver car is given a free pass!
  • acme01acme01 Posts: 3
    Do the ventilated and massage components of the seats really work well, or are they not worth ordering? Also, does the bluetooth telephone give you hands-free technology that works well?
  • ssnyderssnyder Posts: 1
    Maybe a different request, but as I spend a lot of time at speed on Alligator Alley, get tons of bugs. Does anyone know where to get a bra for a 2004 A8L. Tried all over the 'net but seems to be none after 2001.

PS: just started viewing this forum. Got $5000 off list and 1% financing. Many problems with MMI computer, but finally fixed when I went straight to service manager instead of write-up techs.

Thanks for any help.
  • brendybrendy Posts: 6
    I have the Amaretto interior and did not like the looks of the ventilated seats, therefore, I can't comment on them. From the cars I've seen, they look OK on black seats.

The bluetooth works great. I had to order my car to get it. Early 2005's came with Onstar and not bluetooth. Vehicles manufactured after a date in December, I can't remember it, have bluetooth. If the car has Onstar it does not have bluetooth.

I've used the bluetooth for years, I have it in my BMW and it is great. Easy to use and much safer. As long as the bluetooth is activated on your cell phone, you can receive and dial calls using the steering wheel and voice commands.

It is very simple to sync up the cell phone (up to 4) with the vehicles bluetooth. Also, with the Audi there is a very quick way to import your existing telephone numbers to the car's bluetooth system. All you have to do is voice record the names and it's ready to go.
  • anderson7anderson7 Posts: 2
    Hey guys, first post. The ventilated seats and message are OK. I live in Miami and I was wearing gym shorts and I felt the air come right through them, felt great. The bluetooth is great, I can go through my phone book (be sure your numbers on your phone are stored in your SIM card so you can browse through it with the MMI). Haven't had any problems with the car so far. As mentioned earlier theres no coin holder and the rear headrests are a bit too big, but thats about the only problems we've had. Tomorrow I'm driving the car up to Boston, so I'll let you guys know of any problems.
  • anderson7anderson7 Posts: 2
    Oh yeah also, the reason why the MMI isnt recognizing the name of the CD's is because its not supposed to. Your supposed to label the name of the CD's yourself so you know what order the CD's are in when you check the CD list.
    Check the owners manual. It states that you can name the CDs but you can't name the individual tracks. There is a photo of the MMI screen for a Dire Straits CD (which I own and tried) where it lists the songs. If the owner can't name the songs, how did they get labeled in the manual photo? According to the dealer it is misprint in vehicles sent to the US and that various versions of the model are produce for different parts of the world.

This answer sounded fishy, that's why I posted the questions.
  • sellissellis Posts: 1
    Stephen Ellis again.

I also have the warning light on in the dash telling me that the HID headliught auto adjustment is not functioning. Any ideas?

Stephen Ellis
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Follow-Up Test: 2005 Audi A8 L W12 was posted last week - whaddya think?
  • jmckeownjmckeown Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what model of phone and provider works so well for you? I have the 05 model and the dealer does not not seem to have a lot of experience with anything other than Audi phones. Also I heard that there is a new accessory that displays and plays ipods on your MMI. Any information is appreciated.
    I live in South FL and my service is with Cingular. You can use any phone that has bluetooth. My wife and I have different phones, one Sony Ericson, the other Siemens, both work well. Setup on both phones was very easy, the vehicle's manual is pretty good. Within the bluetooth menu of the phone, have the phone search for the cars bluetooth system (vehicle must be on), then you must enter a PIN number "1234". When connected a bluetooth icon will appear on the MMI next to the clock.

Regarding battery life, I have had different experience with each phone. On the Sony Ericson the bluetooth can be left on with little impact on battery performance. On the Siemens, I find that I have to turn the bluetooth off when not in the vehicle because it drains the battery too much if the bluetooth is left on all of the time.

Don't have an ipod, so I can't comment on that feature.
  • stang22stang22 Posts: 36
    I NEED SOME ADVICE FROM ALL YOU AUDI A8 AWD QUATTRO EXPERTS!! I have the opportunity to purchase a high mileage 1997 audi awd A8 quattro with 152,000 on it,in seemingly excellent shape considering the mileage. I personally need a very reliable all-season car for the winters and all,and don't have alot of money to spend. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I SHOULD KEEP AWAY FROM A CAR LIKE THIS, AND HOW MUCH WOULD A CAR LIKE THIS BE WORTH,AND IS A CAR LIKE THIS GOOD IN THE WINTER MONTHS FOR TRACTION?? I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A 1997 AUDI A8 AWD QUATTRO 4DR. SEDAN,AND I WOULD SURELY BE DEEPLY THANKFUL FOR ANY ADVICE ON THE QUESTIONS I ASKED,OR ANY OTHER INFO OR ADVICE WOULD SURE HELP ME!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH!! stang22 aka Jennifer Thanks guys!!! :)
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    I guess your CAPS blinks on and off...but seriously.

I would be very cautious about buying a 97 A8 with 157k miles on it. Even if the car has been well maintained, that's a heck of a lot of miles on any German car.

Parts and repairs for the the A8 are extremely expensive, and if you're on a tight budget, looking at a 9 year old A8 w/ 157k miles is not the way to save money.

I wouldn't buy any Audi with over 100k on it unless it was a 1 owner car, or you at least had acesss to the service history on the car from the previous owner.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    "I personally need a very reliable all-season car for the winters and all,and don't have alot of money to spend."

I agree with rjlaero, the A8 is a great car, but I don't think even the greatest Audi enthusiast would consider a '97 A8 with 152k miles as a safe buy for reliability, especially if you need something that is cheap. It would be a fun weekend car, or something that you could drive if you had a backup should something happen...

For reliability, get a car under warranty... perhaps a 1 or 2 yo A4 or A6? The A4's built after 2003 have had great reliability and the latest A6 (2005+) are doing well so far...