Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8

Comments

• emaussemauss Posts: 151
    Tony - The flight was not too bad. Thanks goodness for Business Class!
    The temp is a little high in Beijing....mid 80s during the day. But to get a little back on topic, I am amazed at the number of Audis here. I have seen more A6s in a few days then I have seen in NY in months! They are the older nose style, and almost all of f them are black. There appears to be a long wheel base version, but I might be wrong.

Good luck with your car. Hope you get it soon

Eric
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Thanks-----I`l find out more in a few days about when it will come Tony
  • I test drove both the sports and standard suspension versions for the 2005 A8 and ended up choosing the standard suspension for the 2006 A8 I ended up buying. In my opinion, the sports suspension version did not handle much better than the standard one and I found the ride of the sports suspension model to be rather rigid and uncomfortable. So far, I have primarily been driving using the automatic setting for the adaptive air suspension and have found the handling and performance to be quite exhilirating. That being said, you may want to consider that I previously drove a Volvo Cross Country wagon for years so my standards for handling and performance may be less rigorous than those of someone used to driving a car like the Audi A8. In any event why not test drive each version before making your decision?
    Thanks Zangelina-----I have been driving the Lexus the last twelve thirteen years, and although most of the time it is fine there are those other times the suspension has left something to be desired....Here in Charleston S.C there is but one dealer, and they don`t have a car with the sport suspension on an a8...When I drove the test a8 it felt pretty firm and comfortable and of course I was paying more attention to all the new instruments than just the drive...The next day I had to leave for an event that we had planned to go to for months....Typical...I am now back here and plan on going by to review what I am doing.

Are there any other thoughts you may have that could better help me on my purchase?? Thanks again Tony PS emauss I hope you are enjoying yourself
    Went by the dealership, which is in a new building, and spoke with the manager...He is a nice guy and knows his products.....In the course of the talk he made sure to tell me if I were to have any problems or complaints to let him know and not go away mad...Re-assuring as I may have to have some service in the future Hopefully not anything serious....Still no idea when the car may come...Tony
  • Hi: I bought a new A8 last December and it has about 3000 miles on it now. Only have had two problems: the tire pressure system stopped working, and the AM radio would forget what station it was tuned to when the car was turned off (and it would keep turning on with the same annoying Hispanic station). They fixed both problems with a "software upgrade" at the first servicing. The car works fine, but I think a new Jaguar XJ-R for about the same price would be more fun to drive. (I have a 1995 XJ-R and didn't buy a new one mostly because the new ones seem just like my old one.) Also, the Audi doesn't come in a lot of colors. Mine is Northern Blue Pearlescent Effect (more commonly known as "grey"), with a rather bland grey interior. I do like the Sirius radio, the integrated On Star phone, and the keyless ignition. Also, it's fun showing off with the automatic trunk open/close feature and the little sunscreen that goes up and down in the rear window.
    How many miles per gallon do you get approximately? Tony
  • len3len3 Posts: 4
    MY MMI Locks up. ONE Dealer says he has had 40 similar problems AUDI says customer is at fault. It seems that dust gets in between the buttons Audi caims it is NOT THEIR FAULT Sounds LIKE A BIG DESIGN FLAW. If Audi doesn't stand behind their design errors they are no better than Mercedes.
    Would like to hear from others with MMI problems .This defect sounds like a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT TO GET THEM TO STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT

2005 A8 owner
    Sorry to hear of the problem.....I noticed a number of posts back that some other people have had this problem.....Some of them said the same as you, but also some may have spilled a liquid on it.....I was thinking they possibly would place a barrier under the keys to stop this problem.....Let us know how you choose to persue this problem Thanks Tony
    In the process of ordering an a8 I addressed my concerns that `` what if some of the bad things happen to me?`` The manager said to me to make sure I let him know if the service people left me with any concerns....I stress the word `him`..He particularly said to not to go away angry....Possibly that may be helpful to you....Tony
  • Hi, Tony: sorry for delay in answering; I just saw your message. I've been getting only about 14 MPG, but this is because I live only one mile from work and mostly use the car for local commuting. The average speed since new is only 22 miles per hour. On the several occasions when I've taken it on the interstate for more than a few miles, it has gotten about 22-23 MPG.
    Thanks #1

Before getting my wife the bmw stationwagon, I got immersed in mpg and almost got the lexus 400.....I found that the biggest boost was the lexus turning itself off at stop lights.....It is amazing how much the fuel economy is hurt just waiting at an idle for a stop light...If it interests you , and the car has the average mpg, give it a gander...You start out and while the engine is warming up , poor mpg..After a few miles it settles down, and then when you get to the stop light watch as it drops....Tony
    Tony - I just ordered my A8. Normal Wheel Base. Cambridge Green with Ameretto interior. Premium Package, Wood/Leather Wheel, Ventilated Seats.
    Also, I asked for the "Y" style 18" wheels, but they might not be available.

The interior color had to be "overridded" to be accepted, but it think it will look great.

Eric
    Well we are now both waiting....I noticed on the other board you changed to the long wheel base.....Any other reason other than the extra length?? I think the Ameretto is great, I now have a black carpet in the Lexus and it is a bit dark for me, so this time I am gettin a lighter color....Right now I forget which....I ordered on the first of Sept. and they think it will come around Thanksgiving, so I have forgotton most of the details.....I did order the 19 in wheels with the sport suspension.....I have some misgivings, but the lexus is too removed , so this may be too involved with the road...The wood steering wheel loks great....I have had it for the last two cars, and ironically I liked the leather wheel on wife`s bms, so am going with that this time.....I really want a different experience so that largely drives the decisions for me.....Stay in touch as this is a very lonely board....Tony
    I forgot to say `Welcome back`` Tony
    Thanks...good to be back.
    Yes, I think those in the backseat will appreciate the extra 5-1/2", and on the test drive on the A8L, the car really seemed nimble...even with the extra length, so for the extra 4K (ugh), I went for it.

However.....it seems the "Y" style 18" wheels are not available yet, and worse, the wood/leather wheel is not available with the amaretto. I really want the darker interior, and the lighter wood with the clay steeling wheel is (imho) UGLY. So, I now have a heated wheel on order, and if the wood comes available in sycamore, I can add it on after the fact (I added the M3 wheel to my BMW 330 convertible after purchase).

Anyway, now the wait.........

(e)
    I was sort of under the impression that if you paid an extra upcharge you could order the car exactly as you wanted....I`m not sure what the charge was as I had gotten so many extras by that time I sure didn`t want to spend more....I also gas a little afraid to really change what they had designed as it may not work out in the lloks department....I further got the idea you could further change for a few weeeks until the order was accepted....With the sport suspension , it comes with a three spoke leather covered wheel with shift paddles...The color of the wheel I don`t know....Tony ps I bet it would look good in the rich leather color Tony
    I saw the 4-spoke wheel on a number of vehicles and I saw the leather/wood wheel on a few (Biener Audi had a lot of A8s in stock). The "CLAY" color is the steering wheel color when the beige (sand or cream) is selected. I saw it and thought it was not very pretty.

The charge for SO (sold order) paint is $750. I think that is the only additional charge. If I had ordered a stock color, there would not have been any additional charge, just the additional wait!

I was a little afraid of the sports suspension. I have had low profile tires on almost all of my previous vehicles, and I really didn't want to deal with all the potential problem with them in NYC again (lower traction on snow and ice, possible damage to rims, rougher ride).

I did email Audi USA to confirm that the Sycamore is not available for the wheel and shift knob, and also that the "Y" style wheels are not really available. I trust my dealer, but......

BTW, I was amazed when I configured a quattroporte on line. The color options are unbelievable! You can choose *every* possible color in the car individually!

Also, the Amaretto. is shown as a choice with the green in most places...just not in the current catalog (mistake?)

(e)
    There is another charge--not sure how much---that would apply if you wanted to change what the factory says you can order.....I thought that then you could get any configuration you wanted...I hpe the tires that come with the sport are all season---I further wish markincincinatti --would let us know what the tire deal is...as I also do not want the really low profile tire...Further did you see the two colored interior you could order? Tony