Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8

Comments

• anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    In my case they said three months and it came a little earlier than that....It is a long time, and I don`t care that experience, but when it does come you will enjoy it.Tony ps when is ir supposed to come in?
    Well I finally got back from sunny Miami, and uncovered the car to find someone had broken the windshield wiper arms off...They looked pretty sturdy where the break was, sort of a cast aluminum assembly, and I would have thought they would really be hard to break---but neatly broken they were...I was lucky that there was but one small scratch, which was not very noticable up where the hood gets close to the windshield....The cover was tied as I had left it so it is bit of a mystery how they were broken so neatly and not damaged the hood more....Oh well this is life...The cost to replace them is two hundred fifty plus dollars, and when I drive the car next time to Miami I will see if the body repair shop that fixed the bumper so well can do anything....If not I`l just leave it as it is as the scratch is small...The auto dealership (which is new) seems to be making progress quickly and they will replace the assembly next Monday.....It was nice too get back from the Mazda which I found to be a nice enjoyable car that was rented....Missed the smell of the leather even though I didn`t know it until I smelled it....Tony
  • I have an A8L W12. While doing a U-turn, the tires feel like they are sort of stuttering (slipping and grabbing and slipping and grabbing) which can even be felt in the steering wheel. A service rep at Audi said it was the Quattro mechanism doing its job because all four wheels are being powered. Does anybody else experience anything similar or do I have a one of a kind or is this completely normal? Thanks. :confuse:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have received or are giving a luxury car as a gift for Christmas. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 8, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    I have 4.2 and mine's doing the same thing. I also notice this on my other AWD vehicles. This is only when making sharp turns.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    This is absolutely normal.

Most AWD/4WD cars and trucks use a universal system that reads wheel movement and articulation at all times.

In the case of the Audi, the superior quattro traction does have some tendencies to do what is called "bind", the transfer case is sending maximum torque the wheel(s) with the most traction, and that's what keeps the car moving. A small price to pay, IMO.

My W12 did, so does my S8, and both did it from day one.

Even my AWD Jeep SRT-8 and Commander 4X4 HEMI do it. Turn the wheel lock-to-lock and give the car some gas, and the binding starts. This is all perfectly normal. No need to worry.
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    My Audis are doing great. I haven't been driving my W12 as much as I have been hanging out with my kid, my S6. Drove up the coast here in California from LA to Monterey to slowly break in the new S6. It is such a refined car for daily use, yet it has the Jekyl streak with its V10 that makes for thrilling driving. I have to keep myself in check to avoid tickets or worse jail. It is difficult to explain, but as with Audis it just feels perfect. The suspension is definitely firm and very different from the W12, though it is quite plush with all its amenities. Anyway, how is your W12 doing? Are you taking it back?
    Hi Real. I've been following you over on the HELC board, what a nightmare, right?

The W12 is now back with me. My daughter thought the car was to big(I think she just didn't want to be seen in a huge car), and so she returned it back to me. Not so much as a scratch on it, and she even had it serviced and detailed before returning. What a daughter, now if I can just get the wife to.... Guess what she bought herself after selling one of the biggest pieces of real estate in the Hamptons($29 mil, you do the math on that commission)? You guessed it. A spanking new loaded to the tilt '07 Audi RS4. She couldn't wait on Audi to send the RS6 over, so she got the next best thing. She wanted an S6, but as you know, they're fresh out for quite some time.

Anyway, the S8 is a running champ. This thing is incredible, way more substantial than my '02 S8. Nothing is overlooked.

I had a guy in a S55(W220) the other day take a second look before trying to overtake me in a lane. I had that "It ain't gonna happen" look on my face and he proudly stepped behind me. When we got to the light, I put the car in neutral and gave it a little gas to show him this isn't a regular A8. Needless to say, I he didn't tail behind to close.

BTW: I've gotten the car over 1,000 miles, so the entitled me to take it to the top end- 161 mph exactly. I'm taking it to my Audi hotspot here in New York to get the limiter taken off, just as I did with my S600 and W12. It's amazing how fast these cars are, being 2 tons and all.

Glad to see you're ripping up the PCH, 101 or the I-5 out in Cali with that V10 soundtrack in your ear.
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    Hi Blkhemi,

You are right the HELC is a nightmare lately, all that fuss over a Lexus. Not even a true premium marquee. It's become like an invasion of the Lexus pod people.

Congratulations to your wife (and you in hindsight) on the RS4! What a very nice ride. Let us know your (I mean hers) impression of the RS4 once you open him up on your favorite road. We just got my mother an S4 to go with her A6 4.2. Although she is 75, she knows how to pilot an Audi as she grew up driving the German autobahns...probably better than most drivers. Anyway, I can see how your wife couldn't wait for the RS6. I'm traveling to Geneva in March for the auto show and specifically to see the premier of the RS6. I'll try to put some pics on here along with the report.

The S6 continues to elicit some major driving pleasure. The combination of that S6 "V10 soundtrack" with the its speed, agility, and refinement is priceless. I can only imagine the fun you are having with the S8. Glad you showed the S55 guy who's boss. We get that kind of behaviour here in LA all the time, but it comes from BMW drivers mostly who seem to think they are entitled to the "right of way".

Although, I thought the S6 would be a stealth driver, it garners quite a bit of attention and questions. Yes, I hear it is hard to get an S6 as they are presold, but since LA is a very "hot" Audi market right now, there seem to be some available directly off the dealer floor. I know my dealer has two extra (maybe one as think they sold it over the weekend), but you can get one here if need be. The PCH is always a great road for ripping up with some beautiful West Coast scenery. V10 always helps. Glad your W12 is back. It's just such an imposing HELM.

Got to sit in the R8 at the LA Auto Show a couple of weeks ago as a guest of Audi. Definitely, a must see in person. Pics do not do it justice. Sitting still it is moving. Ran to my dealer to put a deposit on it. Will replace the A6 4.2 of my wife with it and let her drive the S6. What you think?
  • BH, I picked up my W12 3 months ago and it is awesome. I tried to convince my wife to take my 04 A8L but she passed on it (too big!!), so my best friend is now driving it. Anyway, I wanted to find out more about removing the limiter. You mentioned your audi hotspot. I live in the NY area and would love to talk to some experts about it. To be honest I have yet to push the car past 110, but the thought of opening it to 160 fascinates me. I also currently have the 20inch rims on the car which look great. I am thinking of winter tires and would love to stick with the 20's which limits my choices. Any thoughts on rims, tires? Looking forward to hearing back from you.
  • Just curious, if I don't need the stretched out rear of the A8, what is the difference between that and the top of the line A6 in terms of rear leg room, performance, amenities, driving experience etc.?

Thank you in advance for any input.
    I let Unique Whips in LI take care of the limiter.

You mentioned that you'd like to get the car to 160. All W12 A8s will push 160 with limiter on, but that's it. The S8 got to 189 before the redline killed the engine power, and we're still talking about a 4000lbs car!

On the winter tires, I too wanted to stick with my 20's, but I got tired of looking and went to Audi and picked up a set of 18" A8 wheels w/ Pirelli snow shoes. As sure footed as these cars are without snow tires, you'd be amazed at how much it really takes to break the traction in these cars, even in our snow covered streets.
    You'd think that there wouldn't be much difference given the size of each car.

But the regular-length A8 is still 4" wider and about 8" longer than a A6. Thus, this provides more interior space and comfort over the A6, but the A6 is roomy enough, more so than a 5-Series.

As to performance, the A6 4.2 and A8 4.2 are matched in acceleration, but the A8 rides much better albeit due to higher weight and better road isolation and given the fact that is made mostly of aluminum. And the A8 outweighs it on amenities also.

Now that being said, the A6 is still an awesome ride. But the A6 4.2 can get pricey, in fact with few options, it nips at the heels of the almighty A8. But most people don't need the space of the A8, so they don't mind. But the A8 does drive smaller than it appears.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    Okay, after all the fantastic advice you guys have given me...

We're not getting the A8.

We're not even getting a new car.

Instead, she has pushed me into buying a new house. We have a four-bedroom now, with only one kid left at home. She doesn't seem to care- she's getting a house that is a lot more spacious, to the tune of about 1000 sq ft.

Of course, we're excited.

But hopefully, the mortgage won't overwhelm my bank account, and I'll be able to buy her a new luxury sedan next year. Perhaps an S-Class is in the cards; she wants the prestige. But I'd always be happy with an A8.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    Since a home mortgage appears to be in the future ..... you may as well roll in an S8 for yourself and deduct the interest. Heck she still has a choice of the A3, S4 & the RX 330.
    Probably one of the best decisions you both will ever make...These expensive cars are just that --expensive-- and truthfully you will enjoy your house many more hours a day....Don`t get me `wrong` I enjoy my Audi, but am aware each day I loose money, but am at the point in life that I can say `so what`....I envy you your new adventure....Tony
  • mgmishmgmish Posts: 3
    I just bought a used 2004 A8 - can anyone tell if they have added the above - and what was the level of "pain?"
    Haven't added it on my two Audi's as they came complete with it. But if you truly want it done professionally with factory matching exterior antenna and all, the dealership is the only way to go.
    See you're not getting the Audi right now. That's okay because by the time you get ready to buy again, the whole Audi model line will have moved on, with a new A8 coming '08 as an ealry '09 model.

This will also signify Audi's move to the new MLP platform to get rid of the nose heaviness associated with Audi cars right now.

Hope all goes well with the bigger house. I know all to well when what the "wife wants, the wife gets, OR ELSE!!" When we moved to L.I. from Maine, we found a nice quaint 4000 square ft. home with 5ba/4.5bths. Naturally it wasn't big enough, and remained that way until I bought my 12 acre estate to house a 6500 sq.ft. home and room enough for her diamonds and my vehicles. :)
  • mgmishmgmish Posts: 3
    thanks and I tend to agree - however I called my loacl dealer to assess the damage and they gave me a $600 price for the tuner which Sirus sells for $300. my issue is that i will have 2 screens which I think will look like hell.
  • With help from all of you in my research (much thanks), I just leased an 07 A8L. We also have an 04 A6 with the turbo. I am pleased with my purchase even though I am spending money on a depreciating asset, unlike the wonderful house described above.

With a sticker of $80,474, I paid $79,125. I wanted more off, but the problem is that there just aren't many A8Ls in the Chicagoand area. I got a .00280 money factor on a 36 month lease.

Still learning about all of the features, but I have already used the Bluetooth, the Bose stereo and the ride adjustment feature. The backup camera is a hoot!

The car feels big, but I am quite surprised on how peppy it is...I was expecting a slower car. The tiptronic comes in handy - I never use it on the A6 turbo, but it really adds to drivability on the A8L.
    Congrats on the new A8 and welcome to the family.

The '07s features Audi's new 350hp direct-injection V8 that squirts a bit more power than the 335-hp traditional fuel-injection engine it replaces

Yes, with any car, it depreciates. But boy this is one good looking, well driving piece of depreciative machinery.
  • ">Hello All:

I had to laugh as I read hikerjimmy's msg, because I could have said exactly the same things! After waiting for 4 months, somewhat nervously because of a fear of inclement weather any day, my 2007 A8L finally arrived 2 Sat.'s ago at the dealer's. Since I was having it detailed (paint, fabric and leather protected), and it was just before New Year's, the car couldn't have been ready right away, but I at least rushed over there to view it - and retrieved it the following Sat.

Well, needless to say, there are many features which I have not yet mastered, many of them tied into the MMI. However, I amazed myself in getting the Bluetooth connection to work tonight, and as I sat in front of the local Cingular store, I was calling folks and chatting with them, handsfree, using the car's Bose speakers.

I am equally impressed by how the car drives, the keyless technology, the camera-assisted reverse, and on and on. The leather upgrade and Alcantera are comfortable and sumptuous. Just 2 inches longer than my former M-B S-class, the car DOES seem very long - I guess I'll get used to that. But it drives so effortlessly, it doesn't drag its tail.

More on this, at a later time!

shrinkrap
    Congradulations---I found the mmi to be easy after I made myself remember that the heat cool controls are their own system...It took a while, but now very easy....Tony
    Also congradulations are in order for you....I hope you enjoy as much as I have....It is a nice surprise how peppy the car is....Tony
  • Thanks for the affirmations! It makes one feel good. My congrats to you shrinkrap!

The keyless entry is a bit weird, but I am getting used to it.

Does anyone know if you can program this A8L to unlock the doors when you put the car in park? My GMC Yukon does that and it is very convenient, especailly when there are other passengers in the car.

I will say to anyone considering this car - the ride quality adjustment feature really works well. Unlike in other cars I have tested, you can really feel the difference between the comfort setting and the dynamic setting - even more so when driving around the city on older streets.
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    How do you program the interior lights to go out without locking the A8L?
    Following the manual I was able to program the doors to unlock when in park.
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    They will go out, just not fast enough. I think you can adjust it in MMI.
    It's been plenty quiet around these parts, just thought I'd stop in and wake everyone up.

The S8 and W12 are still running strong. I've convinced my wife that the W12 is "not an old man's car", so much to the point where she actually loves to drive it.

She disliked it so much that she never even figured out all of the controls until now. She loves MB's, what can I say.

Eric, stranger if you're still around, would love to know how you're loving that green A8. Tony, I always follow you on the HELC board. Everyone else, how are you?
  • Thanks for the reminder, blkhemi. Yes, I have been driving the new A8L for 4 weeks now. No complaints at all that weren't there already: I dislike the rear seat headrests' obstructing about 20% of the rear window, unlike those in the S-Class which neatly fold down out of the way. The rear vision assist helps when you're backing up, but on the highway, I find those headrests quite annoying.

Other than that, the car is quite a pleasure to drive, fast enough for my needs, with an extremely comfortable and adjustable interior. I've had no snow in which to drive so far, but it's been handling the cold (single digits last night) well, between the heated seats and a good heating system. Keyless entry and start are great, as is the Bluetooth compatability with my cell phone and the sound system. I figure that I have mastered barely half of all of the car's features, so I have some additional gadgets to look forward to learning how to use. Space distribution is quite good, both in the back seat and the trunk.

Score of 9.8, I'd say.

Best wishes,

shrinkrap