Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8

Comments

• I couldn’t agree more. The Amaretto is by far the most rich looking color of interior that Audi has. I have been looking to upgrade from my 2002 S8 into something newer like an ‘06 A8 or possibly a VW Phaeton. Has anyone driven a VW Phaeton?
  • It is built off of the A8, but since it is an all steel bodied car it is much heaver than the A8L. The Phaeton is a sort of lumbering car compared to the sportiness of the Audi. I have only had my 05 A8L for a little over two weeks now and I am really impressed with how it drives like a much smaller car. Only pulling into parking spaces does it seem any larger then my 98 GS400.

I considered the Phaeton until I thought of all of the reliability issues with it (same with the A8, that's why I wouldn't consider a 2004 model, only 05.5 and newer) and the lack of parts/dealers who know anything about it, made me realize a few thousand dollar increase for a used A8 was worth the money.
  • After two weeks of absolute NIGHTMARES....our daughters car was first hit, then vandalized by a rival school this past weekend...I've had it! With college coming in less than a year, we can't do a new car right now....tuition rules!

We got an email from very close friends this morning...their friends are moving out west and MUST get rid of one of their A8 they can't take them all...and they need it gone like yesterday...they just decided to get rid of it....

1997 A8 3.7
    New Transmission
    Excellent condition....just painted, etc....

No other problems...black, loaded, sunroof etc.

They are giving it to us for 1500....just to get rid of it, and they know we could use the help.....teenage drivers are EXPENSIVE.

What should we look for? What are common problems with the A8's....I haven't had one that was a 97...so I'm a bit lost here with this year/model. We are going to look at it tonight, with cash in hand...

Any info would be much appreciated! I have looked at pricing etc, and they are GIVING it to us pretty much...but I don't want to run into...Oh, you should have looked at etc...

Thanks all!
  • I am looking at buy a 1995 A8L. I have seen some reviews where the have a lot of electrical problems. What is your experience? Also I was told that this model does not have bluetooth; however, I see you comment on it. Does this year and model have bluetooth?
  • I have a 2002 A8L - quit running. Mechanic replaced fuel pump ($1485); it ran for 2 weeks. Quit again. Sounds as if it's out of gas, but it's not. Anyone have a similar problem - better yet - know a solution. Been in the garage for 2 weeks - mechanic can't figure it out. Slader00
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    I'm not familiar with this particular model, but you can try consumerguide.com. The site usually has a list of common found problems and parts costs.
  • This question is for any of the tech geeks out there. We purchased an '04 A8L prior to reading these blogs. :( I am trying to find out if there is an adapter for the phone system. This car has Onstar capability but we are not sure we want to activate it. I also need to get the maps on the navigation updated. Would really like to have a bluetooth adapter like what is being offered for the '02 BMW 7 series. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Just purchased a 2005 A8L for 23000,55K on the ODO.Love this car. After three tours of Iraq decided to treat myself and get something I would not nrmally be able to get.I am requesting any ownership pointers or guidance any one can give. I am learning really fast this aint the old chevy.HAHA...All service records are complete through 49000 miles.A 55K is due.And will be getting this done shortly.But if anyone has any do's and dont's they would be willing to share I would appreciate it.
  • ayyateayyate Posts: 53
    As the first owner of a 2005 A8, I have had very few unpleasant experiences. One pointer given to me was when my car had accumulated about 36K miles and suddenly started overheating. My dealer (a high volume LA dealer) said the A8 thermostat tends to fail at around 35 - 40K miles for some odd reason. So, if yours has not been replaced, you might want to consider it.

One other point. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation on engine oil. If they insist on a certain brand and weight of synthetic oil, do it. It may cost more, but do it.

I have had a few Audi's, including two A8's, an S8, and others. I think you will enjoy it.
  • OK thermostat and recomended oil. Will I be able to tell if it has been replaced through service records though?Going to dealer Saturday...will check it out.Audi says 0W30 ...will 5W30 work ok?The 0 is hard to find.Thanks for the response.
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    Are you in cold country?

In AZ we use either 5W40 (or) 0W40 (if you can find it).

I use 5W40 Castrol Syntec. Check their website. Retail at PepBoys. You may be able to buy wholesale in case lots.
  • Harbo,
    I am stationed at ft knox kentucky so the weather is cold(0-35 depending on the day) I found 5W30 at the PX. which is better for cold?.My audi dealer uses Castrol also.Let me know
    On the subject of oil for the 2005 A8, here is what Audi said in my 2005 owners manual: "Use only synthetic oil with the quality standard specification VW 502 00." Audi further recommends Castrol synthetic with that specification and the "viscosity SAE 5W-40 across all temperature ranges for normal driving conditions. However, if viscosity SAE 5W-40 is unavailable, you can also use viscosity grade SAE 5W-30 or SAE 0W-40 as long as it meets the VW 502 00 standards." It goes on to say that you should NEVER top off your oil with more than .5 liter of oil that does not meet the VW 502 00 standards, whether synthetic or petroleum based oil.

The words in quotes, above, are practically verbatim from the literature that came with my 2005 A8. There was much more, too much to repeat here. The distinct impression I took from all this is: Follow these directions or risk voiding the factory warranty. The oil insert in my manual even went so far as to say that the warranty could be voided if you cannot prove that the VW 502 00 oil has been used every time. Thankfully, my car uses no oil at all. But, just in case, I always carry a couple of quarts of their recommended oil in the spare tire space area in my trunk. This oil is not cheap, but use it anyway. Fortunately, after the first 5,000 mile stop, oil changes don't need to be done very often.

So, to your cold weather question, it sounds like the "approved" 5W-40 can be used in all temperatures. Remember, it gets a good deal colder in Germany than at Fort Knox.
  • ayyate,
    Thank you for the info.Spent 4 years im deutschland myself and you are correct...good point.So Castrol 5W-40 it is.Quick question ,Would you recommend investing in an OBD II scanner?I guess they are available for all types of cars,been thinking of getting one, butwhat i dont know is ..can you fix a problem with these things or do they just tell you what is wrong.?
    Sorry mclovin4:

I am not familiar with that item. When it comes to fixing anything on my Audis (S8, A8, allroad), I have to defer to the dealer. It may cost more, but these cars are simply too complex. I learned that even if you take your car to an independent garage, the parts cost will be about the same. Labor may be lower, but that is probably it. I live in LA where I have many choices and I still go to a dealer where they have one or two technicians that only work on A8's and S8's.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Can anyone else out there offer advice to this man?
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    Agreed ....... Complex. Until the 100K warranty runs out, my excellent Scottsdale, AZ service dept., gets the job. After 100K I do my own Castrol Cyntec, Bosch plugs, air filters etc. Who has GOOD experience with extended warranties and their relative cost?
    Thx Harbo A8L
    I have had some good experiences with extended warranties. I don't expect to get all my money back, although on at least two occasions I have. I believe the peace of mind that a catastrophic repair would be almost completely covered, plus the possible resale benefit, makes it worth it. My previous A8 (a1999) needed a transmission replacement after I inadvertently drove it low on fluid. Cost: approximately $5K for a remanufactured unit. Covered, minus a $100 deductible. Years ago in my pre-Audi period, numerous Mercedes Benz air conditioning parts replacements cost a few thousand dollars. Also covered. It is a decision not to be made lightly. I have never paid more than $2,500 for an additional 60,000 miles of coverage on an A8. These warranties are highly negotiable, with the selling dealership getting a significant commission. Shop around. Talk to your service writer about which ones are the best warranty companies to work with. Then, even if you do buy one, hope you never need it.
  • Holy smokes,
    just finishing up dealing with the brutality of one hellacious ice/snow storm.Power outages all over the area and the roads were awful.Quatrro is fan-friggin-tastic.My 08 Ram is almost as good. Absolutely love this car!!!!
    Glad to know that you like the car. I have been an Audi fan for years and am not surprised to hear it, although I have never had one on snow or ice. Here in LA where it hardly even rains, you could argue that all wheel drive is unnecessary. But, I am glad my wife and I have it anyway. On the windy mountain roads I drive on around here, no matter how aggressively I drive, I don't believe I have ever heard a tire squeal. Some of that is no doubt due to good tires, but the Quattro is also at work there.

Be careful, though. All wheel drive can only do so much on ice and snow.
  • ayyate,
    I currently have the version 4 disc for my nav system.Can I jump to the most recent version or do i have to up date disc by disc,in other words...ver5, ver 6, ver7 and so on?