Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Subaru Outback supply

love2boardlove2board Member Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in Subaru
I ordered a 2010 outback 6 weeks ago, was told it would take 4 weeks and have heard nothing to date. My dealer told me that they haven't received their allotment report from Subaru yet. You mean that Subaru isn't telling their dealerships when they can get the product?

Any similiar problems out there or am I getting hosed?

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    I don't think, at this point, you are getting hosed.

Dealers get their monthly allotment reports early in the month, probably within a few days, and that tells them what cars are coming to them during that month. If your order went in six weeks ago, it was likely manufactured already and will be shipped to that dealer in October, but the dealer will not know for sure until they receive their report. Four weeks is on the low end for a factory order; 6-10 weeks is more likely.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was told 6-8 weeks for my Forester and it took 5, guess I got lucky.

I think 6-8 weeks is the norm, however.
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    I ordered my Outback 3.6R Limited on 8/24 and it came in on 10/2 -- that's 5-1/2 weeks. My dealer confirmed that because of the massive popularity and tight inventory from the CARS program, many order windows are definitely being pushed out and that 8-12 weeks is now the current order window for the time being.

But it sounds like you ordered yours at the same time as mine, so I don't know why it isn't on it's way. ...Dunno if there are variations in allotment based on the dealers' volume and maybe your dealer isn't favored.... or your dealer did something sleazy and sold your allotted car to someone at a higher price and then re-ordered your car for a later allotment.

I don't think you will ever know, but I suggest putting the new car sales manager on the spot by saying you've read on multiple Internet forums that everyone that ordered their Outback in mid-August got them at the end of September or beginning of October! My dealer had my actually VIN# supplied by Subaru around 9/20, so if they can't even tell you your VIN#, I would start raising heck.
  • rkratrkrat Member Posts: 25
    Elliot, just saw your post on this message board. Please tell me about the LED illumination package. Is it as nice as it looks in the pictures on the Subaru website? I never did contact my dealer to see if I could add it onto my factory order.
  • love2boardlove2board Member Posts: 2
    Got a call this morning that my car was delivered over the weekend. YAY! Thanks for the posts.
    Elliot, just saw your post on this message board. Please tell me about the LED illumination package. Is it as nice as it looks in the pictures on the Subaru website? I never did contact my dealer to see if I could add it onto my factory order.

Both the LED puddle lights and the interior illumination package look EXACTLY in real life as they do in the Outback accessories brochure. They don't seem to be enhanced at all.

Both add a moderate amount of bling to the car, but the interior package has a little more utility in that you can see what's inside the cubby bin as well as make visual contact with items in the cupholder when driving at night.

Whether it's worth $210+ is a matter of opinion; I rationalized by thinking about the cost spread out over 5 years. If the cost would have also include a glove box light as well, I'd feel like it was better justified, but I'm still glad I got it.

The puddle lights are relatively cheap ($145 invoice) but the bling factor is best only in near darkness. Garage lights or parking lot lights etc. mostly wash them out.

Enjoy,
    Elliot
    Based on your description, I think the 2010 Forester (Premium and Limited, anyway) come standard with the equivalent of the Outback's interior illumination kit. Like Elliot stated, the lights do a great job of subtly, but effectively, illuminating the interior just enough to be able to easily locate items without fumbling around in darkness. I really like it. I thought it was "gimmicky" on my test drive (which was during the day), but after driving many hours in darkness bringing the car home, I was sold on that feature.

I did not get the optional puddle light kit.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I like the blue LEDs also.

One lights the bin in front of the shifter, you can actually make stuff out when it's dark.

The other is overhead and just puts a very subtle blue hue that reflects on some of the metallic trim. Less function for that one, but it sure looks cool.
    The overhead LED lights up the whole area in the front of the car! I noted on my trip home that my case of Ocean Spray juice bottles in the footwell of the passenger side almost seemed to glow, beckoning me to take just one more sip..... :D

The light is subtle, for sure (much more so than the one in the bin), but it makes a huge difference in comparison to utter darkness. I was able to look and grab, rather than fumble around until I chanced upon, items I needed (er, wanted).

Yes, it does make the trim glow a little as well.
    You have good night vision, my friend! :shades:
    Sounds like I probably should have gotten the interior illumination package. It probably would come in handy on my trips home to NY and to Atlantic City, which I usually do at night - less people on the road.

Funny, I never noticed that my 1998 van has lights in the front mini-bin and glove compartment until I started looking at the LED option package on the 2010 Outback. It seems to me little utility lights like that should be standard on all vehicles.

Oh well, still have a few more weeks to go until I get my new car. Can't wait.
    Whether it's worth $210+ is a matter of opinion; I rationalized by thinking about the cost spread out over 5 years. If the cost would have also include a glove box light as well, I'd feel like it was better justified, but I'm still glad I got it.

So after seeing the Outback in it's New York debut, Philly auto show, countless test drives, tons of Internet research, and studying the sales brochure -- there was never a mention or evidence of a glove box light.

So imagine my surprise driving my 1-week old Outback over the weekend at night and complaining to my wife that there's no glove box light, only to open it and have a glove box light!! :surprise: I thought I was hallucinating, and my wife thought I was a goofball for getting so excited!

Turns out, hiding along the top lip of the box is an orange LED light that only goes on when the headlights are on! So I never noticed during test drives because I expected if there was one it would turn on simply from opening it.

Subaru failed to even mention this in the brochure specifications.

I'm pretty sure this is NOT part of the illumination package but rather a standard feature. Can anyone confirm?
    Sounds like I probably should have gotten the interior illumination package.

It's not too late -- it's an installable accessory. See the Outback accessory brochure for details.
    I don't want to pay the extra dealer-installed labor charges. And I'm not sure if they would sell me the package at the dealer invoice price. Plus, I'm not sure what the quality of dealer-installed options as opposed to factory-installed options would be.

I will wait and see when I get my car to see if I really need the extra illumination inside.

I have sat in some Outbacks on the dealer lot at night and it seems as if the interior lighting from the dash and heated seat switches in the console will provide enough interior illumination at night.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I notice that the 3.6R has larger front & rear brake discs than the 2.5i. Could the larger discs be placed on the 2.5i? Would it require different calipers & pads?

Does anyone know if the 2.5i springs, struts, and sway bars are the same or different than those on the 3.6R?
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I notice that the 3.6R has larger front & rear brake discs than the 2.5i. Could the larger discs be placed on the 2.5i? Would it require different calipers & pads?

My uneducated guess would be that the swap would, at minimum, require new caliper brackets in addition to the larger rotors.
    Elliot,

Just took possession of my new 2010 Outback Limited with Nav on Saturday October 31, 2009 - a nice treat for Halloween! :) Didn't know if anyone had responded to your inquiry about the glove compartment light but I noticed I have it and I did not get the LED illumination package so I assume the glove compartment light must be standard on the Limited, if not on all Outback trims.

I am still extremely tentative about driving it since it is a new car but I am getting used to it. I still have not had the chance to read through all the material to figure out how everything works, but every day I am noticing more and more little features. So far I love it.

I now understand why some people have commented on the uselessness of the MPG gauge and would have preferred a temperature gauge. I did not realize they meant replacing the MPG gauge on the far left of the dash with an engine temperature gauge. That definitely would have been more helpful.

The only other things I noticed that I would change so far, that other people have mentioned, is closing the rear hatch. I think I drove home from the dealer without it being closed all the way without realizing it until I pulled into my driveway and saw the "doors open" icon lit up on the dash.

Plus, I would have added a little indicator light on the AC button. I did finally notice the rear-view camera in my nav screen while backing out of my garage this morning. Pretty cool! I love all my gadgets.

Question: Are the door locks automatic once you start driving? I don't think they are. If not, that is something Subaru should change also. Can anyone confirm this?

I will probably post at a later date my entire buying experience and thoughts on the car as I break it in.
    I rode in a friend's Toyota Tacoma a couple weeks ago and the backup camera's screen is on the rear-view mirror: Now THAT is cool!

Subaru does not have automatic door locks. I am thankful for this, but I think most vehicles with that annoyance, er... feature, do maintain the option to disable it. My Dodge Caravan was this way.
    xwesx,

Funny you should consider automatic door locks as an annoyance. I consider it a safety feature. Being from NYC originally, and now living in the metro DC area, I feel safer knowing the doors lock automatically as soon as I start driving, especially if driving alone at night and stopped at a light.

My 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan I just traded in for the Outback had this feature so I was not in the habit of having to remember to lock my doors. I guess I expected all new vehicles to have all of these little features that my van had. I was surprised when I was test driving different vehicles how many new cars did not have some of the little things my van had.

When I test drove the 2010 Equinox, I was impressed that the doors locked automatically as soon as I put the vehicle in "drive".
    Well, I can see the point in areas like yours. When it comes to "safety" features such as that, like VDC, etc., I am not against them unless there is no option to disable. Our 1998 vans had the option of disabling, which I did on mine. Oddly, though, it was still active when I purchased it... and it had 170,000 miles on the ticker! It took about three trips after I bought it before I was searching online for the process to disable it.

Also, if the doors were to unlock automatically when the car was put in "park," it likely would be a non-issue, aside from extra wear and tear on the motors. Then again, I do not prefer automatics..... :D
    I'm only OK with that if it unlocks when you put it back in Park.

My van does that.

Otherwise you reach for the door handle...and it won't open. :mad:
    My van did not automatically unlock when in Park but all I had to do was open the door handle (not the door lock) and the door would open. The Outback does not so I now have to remember to engage the door lock before or during driving and unlock it to get out. :(
    As an "old-schooler" who is used to locking and unlocking doors with keys, the key fob messes with me. I tend to remember to lock the car using the remote when I walk away from the car, but I put the key in the door when I come back. As soon as I open the door (not using the remote), the alarm sounds and about makes me wet my pants. :blush:

Darn technology, anyway.

I am not expecting an answer here, but what is the deal with Subaru offering Outback keys with integrated remotes, but still using separate keys and remotes for the Forester & Impreza lines? That is just silly.
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    I prefer the Outback key with integrated remote (to the separate key and fob), but I'm still getting used to finding the right button in the dark. The unlock button is indented, and so feels different than the other two.

My favorite key design is the "switchblade" style used by Audi and VW. It just looks like a fob, and then you press a little metal button and the key blade flips out. I suppose this is still not as cool as the keyless or smart-key types, but it's nice to have the key blade folded away when it is in your pocket.
    I completely agree with you on that! I have seen those VW keys and they are really a nice design.

Of course, I sure appreciated my '08 Outback keys with the integrated fob; I was surprised when my two-years-newer Forester came with separate units! :(
    My Miata's key is a switch blade. It's much smaller on your key ring.

Though the Forester's laser cut keys would be MUCH harder to duplicate (for thieves).
  • maineplacemaineplace Member Posts: 1
    We ordered our 2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with selected options on OCT 16, 2009. Our dealer called on Nov 12 and said the allotment was released and our car was not on the list. In fact we may not get it until JAN. Our hopes of getting it before DEC 31 to take advantage of the GOV deduction of the sales tax may lead us to say forget it, give us our down payment back. I feel that they have so many stick shifts on the dealers lots, that they are hoping we will back off and take what's available. Subaru increased 2009 production by 45K vehicles earlier this month. They should be able to built us our chosen vehicle. What do you think?
    That's about 10 weeks, they should be able to do it.

We were lucky - our special-order Forester arrived in 5 weeks.
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    Agreed...I am in the same boat. Ordered my 3.6R with NAV on 9/23 and no word whether it will come in the December allotment or not. I have heard that there is a shortage of navigation units and that is creating a backlog.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I have heard that there is a shortage of navigation units and that is creating a backlog.

I wonder if the shortage is because they are trying to get the supplier to fix the poor outgoing bluetooth sound that has been reported?
    UPDATE: I am the one that reported the Bluetooth sound quality problem and have found a workaround, and I'm planning on doing some more tests with other phones to see if it is a compatibility issue with Windows Mobile 6 smartphones (both my wife and I have Motorola Q9's but on different carriers) or still something with the nav.

After I initiate or receive a call, if I press the "speaker" button to send the audio back to the handset, and then press it again to return audio back through the nav speakers, callers on the other end report a major improvement in quality! Something with tearing down and reinitializing the bluetooth stream fixes the problem -- until the next call.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    As someone above posted the "shortage" doesn't seem to be as much in Outbacks as in the Navi unit. That's not something that can be added at the distribution center or the dealer, unlike other items. I just looked at the 5 dealers closest to me, Colorado front range, not the Denver metro area, and there were about 420 Subies in dealer inventory, about 44% of them were Outbacks. Only ONE had Navigation on it!

Heck there were even about 8-10 with the 3.6 engine.

One other thing, from an above post; "I'm not sure if they would sell me the package at the dealer invoice price. Plus, I'm not sure what the quality of dealer-installed options as opposed to factory-installed options would be."

There is a "Subie" website that has the parts at prices lower than the list, not as low as "invoice" though. I'm pretty sure that some high % of "accessories" are added at the dealer/distribution center with no drop off in quality. One thing that P's me off is that if you want the "homelink" and it gets installed there is no "delete option" credit given for the removed mirror. I guess at some point the dealers are sending those back to Lafayette for credit!

easypar
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Subie inventory is low all over, and not just Outbacks. I heard that from a friend at SOA couple of days ago. Normally they try to keep a 30-day supply at dealers, and now they're having a hard time just meeting a 15-day supply. The factories are working overtime to meet the demand, but they just can't keep up. It's great news for Subaru, less so for customers.

Bob
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Well the Legacy is the number one selling car in our state, Outback about #3 selling truck/SUV (not sure why they're broken out that way!) and I didn't have any trouble getting a bit more than 10% off MSRP on a Legacy, a couple of dealers 30-40 minutes away show discounts of 7-9% (depending on how loaded) on all of their models on their website.

The dealer had no problem getting the combo I wanted right from the distribution center and then adding the "accessories" I wanted.

easypar
  • thinairthinair Member Posts: 2
    I never had considered the outback until now. I like the look and for me in the Colorado Mountains, it seems perfect. Looking for a 3.6 limited. Finding out it is in short supply. Like I said, since I have never stepped foot into a Subaru dealer unitl now, just wondering if this is an anomaly or is it something that Subaru does ie: withhold production to create demand. If so, I think I will pass.
    No, this new model is simply uber-hot. Especially the Navi versions. They only have a 15 day supply and cannot keep up, so they are ramping up production.

Problem is the Navi supplier cannot keep pace with demand.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I like the look and for me in the Colorado Mountains, it seems perfect. Looking for a 3.6 limited.

I am surprised you are not considering the Forester XT instead. The XT's turbo would probably give you much better high altitude performance and the passenger space is almost the same as the Outback. The XT is slightly less expensive also.
    Actually the Forester is a tad bigger - 107.6cf of passenger space.

Outback has 105.4cf.

Both without the moonroof. I think if you add that to both, the Outback would end up just a tad roomier.
  • thinairthinair Member Posts: 2
    OK, I'll bite. Looked at the specs on the Forester XT. Noticed it has a 2.5 CVT turbo. Does that give as much power as a 3.6?
    Power is 224hp @ 5200 rpm, torque is 226 lb-ft @ 2800rpm.

Outback gets 256hp @ 6000 rpm, 247lb-ft torque@ 4400 rpm.

So the H6 makes more power, but a bit higher in the rev range. The turbo makes lots of low end torque, while the H6 likes to rev.

Drive 'em both, you'll probably have a clear preference.
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    Back to subject.

Placed an order for Outback 3.6R Limited via SNE, November 19, haven't even got a confirmed build date yet - let alone a delivery date.

Dealer says he hopes it will be in his January allotment >> end of Jan/early Feb for me :cry:
  • msj09msj09 Member Posts: 32
    Anyone heard anything about when inventory levels of Outback limiteds will increase? Especially with NAV? Subaru may miss out on a sale...........
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    3.6 engine is assembled in Japan then ship over to OH, that is different with the 2.5 engine was assembled in OH, probably takes 2 months to adjust increase of production. Plus the questionable supply of the Nav supplier, orders on 3.6 + Nav is the slowest to be manufacturered in OH plant.

It was reported the delivery takes 5 months from date of ordering.
    Yikes, hopefully it won't take that long for people ordering. I got a Forester I special ordered in just 5 weeks and the whole thing came from Japan!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I got a Forester I special ordered in just 5 weeks and the whole thing came from Japan!

Hey juice - I doubt the Forester was special ordered. It was most likely in the pipeline already. It takes 5 weeks just to transport a car from Japan.

As for suply - yeah it takes a while to adjust production. Ford is getting grief for making too many Taurus SE's. Looks like demand is for the SEL and SHO and they can't adjust fast enough.
    I think they found an identical car en route and intercepted it for us.

It came EXACTLY as we ordered, though, even down to the accessories.

What lets Subaru be nimble is that the accessories are port installed, so that only has to be decided much closer to the arrival date of the car.

We wanted a PZEV in a specific interior and exterior color, plus we were very specific about which accessories would be on it. Subaru nailed it.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    It makes very good sense to speed up the order by keeping accessories installation team in port(s), so they imported from Japan cars in different colors and trims then installing whatever accessories were in orders.

Plus they can always do last minute adjustment for what're popular options and accessories to be installed before shipping to distributors / dealers
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It came EXACTLY as we ordered, though, even down to the accessories.

Correct but it's not like they called the plant in Japan and ordered the car and you had it in 5 weeks. They found one for you. If they had to order it, it probably would've been more like 16-20 weeks.

As for the accessories, it's much like what Honda does - 3 to 5 trim levels and all accessories are dealer installed.
    You really think it would take that long?
This discussion has been closed.