Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6 R

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    98 octane is racing fuel.

Maybe you mean RON or MON ratings, as opposed to the (R+M)/2 measured used here in the US. We basically use the average of those two ratings.
  • Unfortunately, the tuner shops I talked to didn't tell me whether they were referring to MON or RON. So I'm in the dark here. :confuse:

Anyway, I've no desire to void my engine warranty so ECU experiments are out for the time being.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yes that's on the turbo motors. ALL turbo and SC motors can be tuned (not just subaru ones) to gain easily 40-50 more HP.

I have an Access Port on my car and easily it puts out 40-50hp more with it at the crank.

-mike
    I think that the G37x can walk all over the 3.6R unfortunately not a much higher of a price.

Unless the G37 is greatly improved over the G35 that I have driven, The 3.6R has a much more comfortable ride.

The styling of the 3.6R may be its real weak point, not 0-60 time.

Thanks for proving my point. For a car called a 3.6R as in RACE it shouldn't have a "comfortable" ride, it should have a taught ride like the G37x has. And the G37x is WAY faster than the 3.6R ever could hope to be, it's got a 7 speed AT and well OVER 300hp!

:(

-mike
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    For a car called a 3.6R as in RACE it shouldn't have a "comfortable" ride, it should have a taught ride like the G37x has.

"Let’s get one thing straight, right here at the top: The “R” in the model designation does not stand for race.

But neither does “R” stand for retardo—Spanish for “slow as hell,” or something like that."
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q3/2010_subaru_outback_3.6r-short_take- _road_test

"The 3.6 R is the top of the line Legacy, however in this case the “R” stands for relaxed and not for racing and after having a look around the new Legacy we can see why."
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/initial-thoughts-2010-subaru-legacy-36-r-a- - - r78983.html

From an old Austrailian OB 3.0R article: "And just in case you’re wondering, the “R “stands for Double Overhead Camshaft."
    http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/DE25D251F368246DCA256DD0000269- - AE#
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    I agree, the "R" does not stand for race, as Subaru offers a 2.0R H4s in other markets, and they certainly aren't "racers." Same can be said for Outbacks with either the 3.0R or 3.6R engines. No way could they be considered racers. Sporty? Maybe. Racers? No.

From what I can gather is that "R" models all have DOHC engines (as opposed the the SOHC "i" models), but are not turbos. So yeah, they are sportier and more powerful than "i" models, but certainly are not racers.

Bob
    I think they should pick a different letter, then.

R is from GT-R or Type R, so it definitely has you thinking of race-tuned.

Better yet - just drop the letter and call it the 3.6.
    In the automotive world if you put the R after a car's designation, it stands for R...

XJR
    C6R Corvette
    Type R
    GT-R

Etc. Either way, the 3.6 is their top of the line flagship, yet it has less HP/Torque than the STi and the Legacy GT.

Just a sad state of affairs and was hoping it would be a serious competitor to the G37x and the other "luxury" awd models at a significant cost savings.

As we've talked about in the past, they need to really get their nomenclature in order for models...
    Legacy 2.5, 2.5GT and 3.6 would work fine and leave things open for whatever comes next for them.

-mike

-mike
    I agree, the 3.6 is the flagship and implies luxury, not sport. It should be the 3.6 Limited or something like that, no R in sight.
    Well the Flagship COULD be sporty, however the 3.6R which implies sporty, is not. Heck even the Lexus LS460 Sport now gets Brembo Calipers!

-mike
  • Hi this is super random but I have been online for literally 2 days now trying to figure out how to fix my car. I have a 2009 Legacy and just put a mid priced air filter on her. ... and she hates it. I can get it running but it dies after about 15 or 20 seconds. If i have the AC on full blast i can keep it running a bit longer but i'm totally confused about why it would be doing this. I have quadruple checked all hoses, gaskets, clamps, etc. I'm thinking about heading out again in a bit to screw with the idle. But yeah. If you'd hit me u[p i'd really appreciate it.
    You either don't have the airbox complete latched (It can be a PITA) or one of the vacum hoses came off during the installation and you missed it. This is fairly common when doing an air filter replacement.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,273
    Yeah, I was going to suggest the MAF sensor connector or a vacuum hose.

Definitely do not fiddle with the idle.
    I don't think you can actually adjust the idle on any of the new electronically controlled cars these days. :)

-mike
    I 2nd the vacuum hose theory.

That happened to a Subaru Crew member when they did their intake.

Look closely, even disassemble and reassemble the whole intake, I bet that's it.
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    For a car called a 3.6R as in RACEFor this car "R" means Retired:-) You got slow 0-60 and "comfortable" ride. Some kind of Subary Buick.
  • Gas.

Sort of obvious.

C'mon y'all, get with it. ;)

John
  • asdf9asdf9 Posts: 26
    The 3.6R is so slow. Come on! Some one else measured 0-60 in 7.1
    A second shorter than the charger hemi. And the HEMI and infiniti don't have grip like the Legacy.
  • Motor Trend measured the 3.6R (Limited version, I think) Outback as having a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds.

The somewhat lighter 3.6R Legacy is a bit faster - I think I recall seeing 6.5 seconds in a Road & Track article. I would also guess that the 2.5 turbo Legacy with the 6MT would be a bit faster still. But 6.5 seconds is not bad...
    Motorweek reached 60mph in just 5.9 seconds with their GT/Manual.

That's quick for such a large sedan.