Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Scion Toyota's Saturn?

2»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    The reason the new coupe can't be a Scion is because it will be priced well over $20K, which is deemed to be outside Scion territory.

They will, however, be renewing the tC, which will get bigger and stay FWD (and under $20K for starting price). They will be two fairly different animals when all is said and done.

I think Toyota is planning for the new FT86 to be a niche model with few sales. I'm sure they hope to sell many more tCs than that.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    I think you nailed the answers to the questions I raised. Thanks.

Based on the very limited information we have about the Toyota RWD 2+2 and the next generation tC, which appeals to you more?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    The tC has never appealed to me and still won't when it is revised. It has the weight (and powertrain) of a 2-door Camry, which turns me off. I have high hopes for the FT86 thingummy though, and either that or the Honda CRZ will almost certainly be my next new car.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Yeah, the weight of the tC is a minus in my book too. Hadn't thought about the Camry engine as a deficiency, though, but now that you mention it a lighter car could have a smaller, higher revving engine and the same power-to-weight ratio. That would be an improvement. I like the tC's styling, though. Can't say I'm absolutely nuts over it, but I like the straight forward simplicity of its lines. In addition, I must give credit for the fact that it has a very roomy back seat for a compact coupe, plus entry and exit are fairly easier. Most other small coupes, including ones that are larger than the tC, such as the Mustang, have less back seat leg room, and are difficult to enter and exit.
    There are major differences between Saturn and Scion, but it wouldn't surprise me if Scion was quietly closed within about three years. I know they're planning to introduce a new tC and maybe a version of the iQ, so there's some new product in the pipeline, but after a successful rollout of this new brand about six years ago, the brand has lost momentum. I think they could fold most or all of the Scion models into the Toyota brand. This would be easier than shutting down Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn because, first, Scions are sold and serviced at Toyota dealers. Therefore, no dealers would have to be shut down. Second, Toyota's investment in Scion is relatively modest. Third, Scion has underperformed in its bid to become the youth brand. It probably has a younger demographic than Toyota, but it doesn't seem to have dented Civic, Mazda 3, Hyundai or even Focus sales.

Is Scion now the first or second aspirational brand for people under 30? I don't think so.
  • make their very own pick-em-up truck. I can almost imagine such a beast.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1041684_report-scion-still-keen-on-pi- ckup-truck

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    "The economic woes of America’s twenty-somethings have forced Scion to broaden its demographic target to include the rest of the Millennial generation, up to age 35. “It’s a function of affordability and the state of economics for 18- to 24-year-olds, with high unemployment,” said Owen Peacock, national marketing communications manager for Scion. “They’re focused on things like college and debt load. At the end of the day, do you go with a small target or go after those who can actually buy a car now? So you need to adjust.”

By Zeus! Now, Scion Pursues Thirty-Somethings (AutoObserver)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    Scion is Toyota's Saturn.. Time to consolidate just like GM/Ford have done. Toyota needs to go back to its roots of building Toyota small vehicles and just call them Toyota's.
    I don't think the stand-alone Scion brand has worked out too well either. But now it looks like Toyota may spin Prius off as separate brand.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"For the fourth year in a row, Toyota's Scion, a brand geared toward young people, had the fewest problems" (in Consumer Reports' annual auto reliability survey).

Consumer Reports: Ford quality slips, Chrysler gains as Japanese brands dominate top rankings (startribune.com)

2»