Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Excuse my ignorance, but I don't remember if the 02 4 cyl was a quad 4 or an ecotec, but either way I'm not personally aware of any severe timng chain problems on either. Have you contacted GM?
  • The only way I know how to fix it is to turn the car "ON" but don't start it. Leave it in the ON position for at least ten minutes. This will reset the system and your car should start. But just to let you know it's a tempary fix and be careful because it will drain your battery. Most likely it will continue to happen. At this point I still haven't figured it out but what I've been told is that it's the Passlock system that's the problem. Good luck
  • Last year I had the same problem and took it to the dealership. I had the entire passlock system replaced, including the ignition switch. But guess what...same problem is accuring once again....can anyone please help I have no idea what to do now. :mad:
  • :confuse: Can you replace the entire passlock system or have it completely removed?
  • Can you replace the entire passlock system or have it completely removed?
  • we took our car to the dealer to fix the computer upgrade it needed and to see if that would fix my problem with the pass lock system and now the car is still doing the same thing i dont know what else to do
  • I have a 2002 Grand Am and have had problems with a spring popping out of the
    back of the seat since I got the car. While it was still under warranty, I had
    it fixed. Now my warranty is up and that same spring has popped out AGAIN!! Any
    suggestions on where I might be able to find a replacement seat at a fairly
    decent price? Thanks to anyone who can help me
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I would find a good auto upholstery shop. The seatcovers aren't hard to get off, and they can repair the spring fairly easily. You can try wrecking yards for a different seat.
  • rtatumrtatum Posts: 1
    same problem, will not start. We have replaced the passlock sys., ignition switch, wiring harness to the fuel pump, 6 fuel pumps, fuse/relay block, fuel gauge/instrument cluster. my mechanics (4) have told me to leave the key switch in the "on" position for ten minutes and this would reset the pump, it diesn't always work. Any suggestions
  • Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the advice!! Why didn't I think of that??? I did check with a few salvage yards, they want like $450. So, I will check into this. Thanks again!!
  • I need to know where the gas goes into the engine on a 2001 grand am 6 cyl. I have been told to put magnets there to enhance gas mileage but I cant find the exact spot....
  • i have a 2001 grand am sometimes it wants to idle at 60mph but if you shut the car off and restart it it idles perfect dose anyone know how to fix this problem thank you
  • My wife has an '01 V6. The wiper fluid leaks pretty fast. My question is where is the bottom of the reservior?
    I noticed a hole under the car next to the wheel well that the fluid leaks from, but is this the actual reservior bottom (It seems deep!)?
    I am thinking of plugging the hole up with an epoxy type compound but I want to make sure that's where the problem is and I'm not plugging up a drian hole that should be there,
    Any help would be appreciated
  • i have a 2001 pontiac grand am i had the same problem check your reservior hose . where it rubs aginst the battery mine had a hole there (right there where it rubs aginst the battery) i hope this solves your problem.
  • check with your delar gm recalled that part on my 2001 grand am you didnt state what year yours was
  • I have a 95 Grand AM. It starts up really hard and the engine shakes like crazy! Idling, when I give it gas, it revs up but when I let off, it completely dies. Please help! This thing has been nothing but trouble! The oxygen censor was changes pretty recently (w/in 5 months), but it's not the first time it has went bad!
  • Hi I would be looking at the plug wires and the coils I found that on one of my coils the metal electrode was totally carboned up even after I cleaned it the car misfired and shook so I swapped one from a parts car that I have and it fixed it I also replaced the plug wires to those two cylinders. If you stand by the car you may hear a clicking noise as the fire jumps down the coil. Only other thing I can think of is there is a hose that I think goes to the fuel pressure regulator it is right down near the coil pack if it is unplugged the car will be hard to start and run rough have a look anyway see if you have any visible air leaks.
    regards
    rod
    93 Grand Am
    95 Grand Am
    93 and 95 parts Grand Ams
  • My heater blower is not working. I feel some heat but nothing is coming out when you turn the heat on. Please someone help me. :cry:
  • I have a 2000 GA 4 cyl. I too have a wiper fluid leak, but it's at the pump mechanism. If I don't use the washer fluid, I don't have a leak, but if I use it a lot I notice a puddle in the driveway afterwards.

I'd probably replace it myself, but I'm sure a new pump is $$ and it's really not too much of a bother.
  • I just spoke with GM in Toronto (Roy Foss). The service super indicated that the problem is the "Passlock Housing". I believe the OBDII code is B2960. The error can be turned off with an OBDII tester (like you get at Canadian Tire), but you can also turn the key to the "On" position for 10 minutes, cleari">ng the computer codes, which will result in the vehicle starting again.

The repair of the Housing (sort of an ignition module) costs about 400.00 CAN and takes 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. He indicated it would clear up the whole problem. From what I've heard here I'm not so sure.

Another option he offered was to have a good quality (ie: Alpine, Viper) remote starter installed. This permits the keyless starting of the vehicle. The ignition contacts that are not working correctly are then by-passed. I'm not sure how well this works. My friend indicated he put in the remote starter and that "did not" solve the problem. His suggestion was to just keep clearing the computer. My problem is getting to frequent to put up with that. BTW: The service supervisor also indicated that repeated clearing of the computer by means of turning the "On" switch for 10 minutes "does not" in any way create computer problems. I'm still not sure about that one either :(

Take care,
    Mustangman