Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• I too am dealing with the same issue. I was stranded again at work one Saturday. I contacted my local Pontiac dealer to ask them how to reset the alarm system they told my husband that they weren't for sure what the problem was but that if we wanted they could come and pick it up and look at it. We already have over $800.00 in maintenance bills and it's still not fixed. When we finally got home
    my husband got on line looking to see if anyone else was having the same problem and luckily we found several people and one of them actully told him what we could do to try and get it started. We found out also it's going to cost us another $350+ to finally get it fixed. Good luck to everyone.
    :lemon:
  • My service engine soon light came on. Error code 1404 - something about the EGR Valve not opening or closing. We replaced the valve and 10 miles down the road the light came back on. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
  • Did you ever get an answer on your security light issue. ABout 2 years ago mine came on and still does every now and then while i'm driving. And if it comes on before i start the car then i have to wait at least 10 minutes before trying again. then most times it will start Any feelback on this i would greatly appricate
  • About 2 years ago my security light came on after trying to start my car and found out that it wouldn't start, the light kept blinking on and off while my car was turned off. When it stopped blinking i was able to try to start my car with sucess. So for the past 2 years i now know that if it comes on when i am trying to start it i have to wait until it clears the light. It also comes on while i am driving, and nothing happens. I have been to 3 mechanics and they can't figure it out. I have just a key, not a remote one. If anyone can help me or knows whats going on please let me know. I also just had a new computer put in so i know it isn't that. Thank you!
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    The problem is usually the Passlock sensor on the ignition switch. Your symptoms are exactly what happens when the sensor starts to become intermittent. The only cure is to replace it. Unless you have the knowledge and tools needed to do the job it's best left to a dealer service tech. It runs about $320 (approx). If I remember right about $120 is for parts, the rest is labor and diagnostic costs.
  • i have a 2002 grand am over the last several months i have been through 5 fuel pump relays. they keep burning out and when i took it to a dealership they could not find anything wrong with it. when i try to start the car i can hear the electricity jumping in the fuse box for that relay. could it be a bad connection in there causing it to burn out?
  • i have a 2002 grand am over the last several months i have been through 5 fuel pump relays. they keep burning out and when i took it to a dealership they could not find anything wrong with it. when i try to start the car i can hear the electricity jumping in the fuse box for that relay. could it be a bad connection in there causing it to burn out?
  • I've owned a Bonneville SSE for three years now and love it except when it gets cold in the winter....The heater fan cuts in and out and sometimes drive for hours with no heat!!!!!! I've had no problems in the summer or with the warmer tempatures so don't figure it's the thermostate or climate control cause it blows out air ot matter what temperature it is in the summer but cuts out in the winter...okay..can anyone help me with what the problem is??? :confuse:
  • I have to replace pads and rotors at 30000 Kilometers(18500 miles). Believe this is premature to say the least. Not getting anywhere with G.M. even though I have complained about front brakes to the dealer since buying the car brand new! Anybody else having similiar problems?
  • I was going across the bridge on black friday and my 03 Grand Am GT V6 started to sputter, almost like the transmission was slipping, then the car stalled. I tried to start it and it would start but then stall out again after a few seconds. The next day the car wouldnt start at all, just click when i tried to start it. I had to have my battery jumped the week before, so i thought maybe that was the problem. Put a new battery in yesterday and now it turns over but does not start. Like its missing spark or not gettin fuel. I dont want to spend alot of money throwing parts at my car. And i dont know want to spend even more to have the local Pontiac dealer come tow it there and then look at it and charge me God knows how much in labor charges. Help, if anybody has any info please get back to me. My email is ladd_mike@hotmail.com Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have recently had to replace both the windshield wiper transmission and the climate control motor on my 2004 Grand Am.
    To me this seems excessive for a car only 2 years old. Has snyone else experienced these unusual types of repairs?
  • I had a problem with a clicking sound that accompanied brake pedal movement. Turns out there is a problem with the pistons that can be fixed by lubricating under the piston hoods with brake fluid. It's a little unconventional but it worked. There is a service bulletin that describes this fix.
    I don't believe that climate control is available on a Grand Am. Do you mean the selector for heat, A/C, defrost, etc?
    What exactly do you mean by "lubricating under the piston hoods"? Do you have the TSB or link to it?
  • I've had the same problem with a clicking sound when using the brakes specifically when going in reverse. The Problem is intermittent and doesn't occur all the time. I'm not sure i understand what you refer to as "lubricating under the piston hood". Are you refering to the Piston Housing?
    I always thought the noise was due to the pads being forced all the way to the back stops in the caliper and then forward again the next time you brake moving forward. There has to be some clearance or they would lock up in the caliper. I've never checked but I'm sure that from pad to pad the overall length of the backing plate varies somewhat, within some tolerance. On the 99 I had the noise would come and go along with front pad changes. On the 04 I have now they're very quiet, but the brakes on the 04 are noticably better.
  • HI a friend of mine had same problem he had to replace the heater fan motor that fixed it. When it would not come on I tapped it with a hammer and it started but only on high no lower speeds would work I think there is some type of resitor in the motor itself that controls the fan speed when this starts to go it has same symtoms you describe. You should first check the wiring to the fan when it won't come on test the plug to see if there is current to it.
    regards
    rod
  • When you open the hood, there are two rods running left and right at the top of the headlight housing. they're near where the Torx adjusting screws are. they pull them outwards, towards you, releasing then from the clip that holds them in place. then you pull them straight up. once those are pulled up, the headlight assembly comes right out.
  • Dejoey,

I have a 2003 grandam and I bought it new with 3 miles on it. Exactly one year later in 2004 at 20,000 miles I was replacing my brakes and my driver side rotor. Then appx nine months later still in the same year of 2004 the dealership told me that I need to replace my brakes again, so i did. Now this past August 2005 i had to replace both front rotors and then past November 2005 they are telling me that I need to replace my front brakes again for the third time. The car will be 3 years old in January. So you are not the only one having problems with brakes. I have not replaced my brakes again as of yet, but b/c of safety issues i am going to do and also to avoid them cutting into my rotors. This will be the last time that i replace brakes on this car..
  • Correction to the headlight question; they are not rods...thinking of my other vehicles. They are actually flat shanks of metal and they pull straight up. there's two per liget, both sitting at the very top.